Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Progressive Rock truly pretentious?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 12:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ ^^ ^^^ and ^^^^ .... *sigh*

When the snide and smarmy rock journalists in the late 70s called Progressive Rock "pretentious" they were not being complimentary. They were not criticising the complexity or grandeur of the music but their (wholly negative and disparaging) perception of the musicians that played it and the fans that liked it.

While some Prog bands like Yes and ELP were bombastic and showy and therefore were an easy target for ridicule, that wasn't why the word "pretentious" was used - most of the Prog bands at that time were not bombast or showy, yet they were still called "pretentious". If the reason why Prog was called "pretentious" was because of the second meaning of the word (ie ostentatious) then it would imply that everything was just for show... a facade, and that clearly isn't the case (even with Yes and ELP). They used the word in its primary meaning - arrogance - pretending to be important - delusions of grandeur -elitism.

OK. Didn't know that. Big deal. And since we are just focusing on the 70's criticism of prog, then let it be as you said it, 'cause I was born in '91. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 24 2012 at 13:01
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 17:02
Yes sir, it sure is, or at least can be at times. But if the guys didn't do what they do wouldn't it be boring - and we would still be in the caves with the other monkeys.
theadolescentprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 17:12
Pretentious is attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Progressive rock musicians can walk their talk. So no, it isn't.
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 16:51
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

Pretentious : "Making unjustified or excessive claims as of value, or standing".

It is true that Prog has this image for the non-prog listener of a pompous, needlessly intellectual music. I do not think it is true for the genre or for any of the subscenes, as genres : they are neutral ways of making music.
When it comes to musicians, the virtuoso approach can indeed sometimes sound pretentious if that makes any sense. Obvious examples are Emerson or Dream Theater, people that I often hear described as "playing for their own sake". Which can be discussed.
I don't know any but I am sure some prog "fans" too like to feel themselves superior because of the music they enjoy.

To cut it short (or rather shorter, as I am not accustomed with long and documented posts), the music is not pretentious, the people can be. But it still is a minor characteristic that is overblown by the main audience imo, following the punk pattern : "anyone can do music, so why do these old jazz people want us to lear odd time signatures, modes, harmonies ? f**k off, let me play my riffs".

As a minor "downside" to the genre it can be played upon -try to make the most complicated riff, blend as many influences as possible, just for fun - but the masterpieces of Prog - Brave, SEBTP, Aqualung, Images and Words,  etc speak to everybody with a rock sensibility at one point or another, without sounding pretentious, just good music.

agreed. I think when prog goes bad, it it often because of pretentiousness. But, that just means its one of the failings of the artist or composition.
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
RyanElliott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 05:37
pretentiousadjectiveattempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed
This is involved in all sorts of music and genres including prog but usually, it leads to the worst results. 
The best albums I've ever listened to, I don't believe were ever intended to be pretentious so they could better themselves over other artists. The great albums out there are great albums because the artists were inspired by several reasons to write them. 
The best prog albums have been written because of the inspiration to search for new sounds through experimentation, different lyrical observations, the enjoyment of creating a musical journey etc. 

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 12:10
^ Good one. Clear and concise.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 12:46
To use the word pretentious is pretentious.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 16:46
^ Assuming the person is using it just for the sake of using it. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 10:41
My personal opinion is that too many tend to think that as soon as it's intellectual or complex it must be pretentious. If your theme or whatever you are trying to express is complex that doesn't make you a pretentious artist. Now, if you think the point of making good music is playing fast, I would say you are pretentious, however I would argue that none of the prog performers I like think this way (I'd rather speak about metal guitarists here...). 

Faster playing from for an example Rick Wakeman is to a great extent there because it has a purpose and contributes to the music as a whole, not just to show off his skills. So I would say no, based on what I know at least :D
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 20:07
As with just about everything, some people are very pretentious and some are totally not pretentious.

ELP = pretentious 
Kansas = not pretentious

It goes on a band by band basis, I think. Kvlt black metal is about as pretentious as prog, as a whole.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 20:41
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

As with just about everything, some people are very pretentious and some are totally not pretentious.

ELP = pretentious 
Kansas = not pretentious
Really? I always thought Kansas were very pretentious. "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, and don't you cry no more." I mean, it ain't Dylan. :-) 

Granted, they're Americans and presumably from the prairies or the cornfield plains or some other place equally terrifying (perhaps somewhere in or near Kansas? where people really drive in pick-up trucks just like in the movies, and you can see cows and tornadoes and trailer parks and shotguns and girls just like Maryanne in "Gilligan's Island"). One wouldn't expect them to try to do rock versions of Mussorgsky or Dvorak (one wouldn't expect them to hear of them, either, being that they're Americans and all), but they might try to do an American version of pretentious, like adding country fiddles to prog rock or something crazy like that, before coming back to the church.

Okay, sorry, just kdding around. :-) As someone else asked, albeit in a slightly different context, "What's the matter with Kansas?" LOLWink

Edited by jude111 - May 26 2012 at 21:03
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 21:05
Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

My personal opinion is that too many tend to think that as soon as it's intellectual or complex it must be pretentious. If your theme or whatever you are trying to express is complex that doesn't make you a pretentious artist. Now, if you think the point of making good music is playing fast, I would say you are pretentious, however I would argue that none of the prog performers I like think this way (I'd rather speak about metal guitarists here...). 

Faster playing from for an example Rick Wakeman is to a great extent there because it has a purpose and contributes to the music as a whole, not just to show off his skills. So I would say no, based on what I know at least :D
And how about the cape?

I'm fond of this picture of Wakeman:

To be honest, though, what with the flats in the background, I wonder if there isn't a bit of a "nudge nudge wink wink" going on, more along the lines of the knowing Bowie at the time?

Edited by jude111 - May 26 2012 at 21:10
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 21:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

[OK. Didn't know that. Big deal. And since we are just focusing on the 70's criticism of prog, then let it be as you said it, 'cause I was born in '91. 
Rock journalism, particuarly American rock journalism, was really bad in the 70s in my opinion. Particularly those at the American magazine Rolling Stone. They ridiculed prog but promoted "geniuses" like Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, and Tom Petty.

Has anyone else noticed how nation-centric rock journalism tended to be? American music magazines for the most part promoted American bands. (And let's not forget, prog was mainly a European phenomenon.) I remember reading American reviews of The Smiths - those rare times when they were even reviewed - and being trashed or at best dismissed by American reviewers. Or look how the Anglo-Saxon world has never really given props to Serge Gainsbourg (by the way, he probably belongs here, if for no other reason than 'HISTOIRE DE MELODY NELSON"). (But I digress...)

I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd, and reading through old reviews, I noticed: Floyd was reviewed enthusiastically by the English press. (Both UMMAGUMMA and ATOM HEART MOTHER were lauded as masterpieces at the time by an enthusiastic British music press.) However when the American press began to take notice of Floyd, the Americans dismissed and disparaged them. The British press then dutifully followed suit and mimicked the American rock press. One can see the entire political landscape and American-British relations just by following the reviews of Pink Floyd! Fascinating...

Edited by jude111 - May 26 2012 at 21:31
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 22:50
^^^ I think American music journalism and critique has another problem apart being, possibly, nation centric. They are obsessed with formats; in fact, formats are the holy grail for them.  When some musicians don't slot perfectly in the existing formats, they dismiss them as pretentious/overambitious, etc.  European rock music in the 60s and 70s was all about breaking free from formats.  It is not just prog rock from Britain, American radio didn't embrace a much more accessible artist like Minnie Riperton either simply because they didn't know whether to call it rock or R&B.  

Edited by rogerthat - May 26 2012 at 22:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 00:40
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

ELP = pretentious 
Kansas = not pretentious
Really? I always thought Kansas were very pretentious. "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, and don't you cry no more." I mean, it ain't Dylan. :-) 

Why would anybody do Dylan when they can be themselves? Why does anybody have to be Dylan?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 00:45

ELP = pretentious 
Kansas = not pretentious

Why would anybody do Dylan when they can be themselves? Why does anybody have to be Dylan?
So as lyricists they are equal?

Edited by jude111 - May 27 2012 at 00:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 22:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

While some Prog bands like Yes and ELP were bombastic and showy and therefore were an easy target for ridicule, that wasn't why the word "pretentious" was used - most of the Prog bands at that time were not bombast or showy, yet they were still called "pretentious". If the reason why Prog was called "pretentious" was because of the second meaning of the word (ie ostentatious) then it would imply that everything was just for show... a facade, and that clearly isn't the case (even with Yes and ELP). They used the word in its primary meaning - arrogance - pretending to be important - delusions of grandeur -elitism. 

And yet, if a band the critics liked had those same traits, they would get away with, assuming they didn't do something like, say, make an equivalent of Bob Dylan's Self Portrait.

I really don't understand why critics just say that progressive rock isn't their cup of tea, rather than basing their reasons on some ridiculous philosophy of theirs. I mean, if Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band really is the worst thing to happen to the lives of guys like, say, Punk77, then I congratulate them for having a better life than me.

Because if they don't they're labeled as pretentious. If they do, then they're labeled as poseurs, not unlike punk rock. Embracing progressive rock as bad beacuse it's for phonies, yet following punk means you're most likely a poseur. It's a lose-lose situation: "Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow."

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 28 2012 at 22:46
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:12
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Because if they don't they're labeled as pretentious. If they do, then they're labeled as poseurs, not unlike punk rock. Embracing progressive rock as bad beacuse it's for phonies, yet following punk means you're most likely a poseur. It's a lose-lose situation: "Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow."
To say, "It ain't Dylan," doesn't literally mean that the lead singer of Kansas isn't Bob Dylan. It means, it's not up to a high level, lyrically speaking. I could have said, "It's not Shakespeare." Or, "It's not Gershwin," "it's not Cole Porter," "It's not Lennon/McCartney." But maybe Kansas is up to that level, I don't know. I was trying to imply that the lyrics to "Carry On Wayward Son" are a trifle pretentious. Honestly, I only know like 3 of their songs, haha :-) 'Was just kidding around :-)

Edited by jude111 - May 29 2012 at 00:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:24
^ We know it's not literal. Nobody said we meant it literally, nor did we imply that.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 29 2012 at 00:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:49

Wow, I guess you guys aren't native English speakers. To say, "It ain't Dylan," doesn't literally mean that the lead singer of Kansas isn't Bob Dylan. It means, it's not up to a high level, lyrically speaking. I could have said, "It's not Shakespeare." Or, "It's not Gershwin," "it's not Cole Porter," "It's not Lennon/McCartney." But maybe Kansas is up to that level, I don't know. Honestly, I only know like 3 of their songs, haha :-) 'Was just kidding around :-)

My apologies for the misunderstanding.  I do have to admit, though, that "Desolation Row" alone outshines anything Kansas ever penned. Big smile At least in the lyrics department.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 29 2012 at 00:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>