Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed80s Chicago influence on progressive metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80s Chicago influence on progressive metal
    Posted: December 05 2011 at 18:35
Tongue

im pretty sure some progressive metal acts have borrowed trics from Peter Cetera perioud Chicago, im 80% certain spessialy some Dream Theater adn theri likes

listen to the el-guitar and stacato heavy riffs in the power ballads here (i have 4-5 examples)

agian listen to the staccato heavy riffs, and guitartone and the hard edge of the songs

this one particular have strong proto-prog metal elements, (again Stacato guitar riff passage form the bridge section)

listen close to the stacato riffage at 3:50 in Hard Habbit to brake, like the stacato section of Metropolis prt I

and this is actualy one of my favourite songs Embarrassed

what do you think

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 18:41
From specifically Chicago, probably not, but many prog metal acts take influence from 80s AOR for their "ballad" format for, well, the ballads. While most 80s Chicago was helplessly cheesy, you're right in that the whole "epic/emotional" ballad format is popular in quite a few prog metal bands.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 18:42
this is actualy a thought i have had longer then my membership in PA so this is much more deeper thoght of mine then  just a recent mad idea, but a thought i have come upon after listening to extencive 80s Chicago while i begann listening to progressive metal, is that i heard not small similaritys but some really big one, the symponic structured songs, pathos like, dramatic, heavy guitar, ballance between soft and heavy, clean pruduced,

yes one can say 80s chicago is not metal in the slightes and can be seen as soft but many of the song have suprisngly quite heavy guitar playing and guitar work and overdramatic changes in pace and emotives, not only calm but often abrassive and even violent sometimes, while subtle at the same time ,

Edited by aginor - December 05 2011 at 18:44
 Post Reply Post Reply