Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreatest Star Trek Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is the greatest film of the Star Trek franchise?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [12.50%]
2 [8.33%]
9 [37.50%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [29.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 23:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

BTW, the 2009 film was a reboot (much like what they did with Battlestar Galactica) not a prequel.
"Reboot" my ass, the only thing they 'rebooted' was thje level of stupidity (e.g. the ice monster scene or the fight on the platform).  Other than that, very little changed and it was quite clearly aligned with TOS, much unlike the reinterpretation of - and improvement upon - Galactica.

It may not be a true "Reboot" but it is not a true prequel either.
progistoomainstream View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 23:07
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The "Save the Whales" (IV) movie was the most enjoyable for its one-liners:
"Awameda...Nuclear Wessles"
"Double dumbass on you!"
"Too much LDS in the '60's"

There is a lot of humour to be had placing charecters in a society that is a few centuries earlier thatn what they are used to.

Edited by progistoomainstream - January 01 2012 at 23:07
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 01:12
The Voyage Home followed by First Contact.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 14:19
I love the 2009 film. It breathed new life into a franchise which was becoming a little tired under Berman & etc.

However, the vote goes to IV. a wonderful film, although, as has been said, Kirk most certainly should have hooked up with Gillian!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I love the 2009 film. It breathed new life into a franchise which was becoming a little tired under Berman & etc.

However, the vote goes to IV. a wonderful film, although, as has been said, Kirk most certainly should have hooked up with Gillian!

Oddly enough Decker from the first movie would hook up with her on a TV series. LOL
7th Heaven

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 02 2012 at 15:04
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 18:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm surprised they did not meet eachother in a future film. It was set up perfectly for that.

Edited by progistoomainstream - January 02 2012 at 18:59
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:08
Originally posted by progistoomainstream progistoomainstream wrote:

BTW, the 2009 film was a reboot (much like what they did with Battlestar Galactica) not a prequel.
"Reboot" my ass, the only thing they 'rebooted' was thje level of stupidity (e.g. the ice monster scene or the fight on the platform).  Other than that, very little changed and it was quite clearly aligned with TOS, much unlike the reinterpretation of - and improvement upon - Galactica.

Of course it's a true reboot. Gawd!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 22:05
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The writers threw out the continuity of Star Trek (the most obvious example of this was blowing up Vulcan and the death of Amanda).   While it takes place in an alternate Trek universe, this is just a way of saying they rebooted the series, meaning throwing out the established continuity and starting fresh. 

It is most certainly not a prequel of any kind, because to be a prequel it would have to fit in with the established continuity.  Star Trek: Enterprise was a prequel in that regard. 

Edited by The Doctor - January 02 2012 at 22:07
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 22:49

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The writers threw out the continuity of Star Trek (the most obvious example of this was blowing up Vulcan and the death of Amanda).   While it takes place in an alternate Trek universe, this is just a way of saying they rebooted the series, meaning throwing out the established continuity and starting fresh. 

And was that really necessary to make a Star Trek film that people will want to go to? I think it would have been better if they made a proper prequel film.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 23:06

And was that really necessary to make a Star Trek film that people will want to go to? I think it would have been better if they made a proper prequel film.

Agreed.  A proper prequel could have been very cool.  Battlestar Galactica was one thing, but why would you even think of rebooting a show with a 35 year history, 10 films and 5 television series all based in the same universe?  It doesn't make sense to me. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 23:17

Agreed.  A proper prequel could have been very cool.  Battlestar Galactica was one thing, but why would you even think of rebooting a show with a 35 year history, 10 films and 5 television series all based in the same universe?  It doesn't make sense to me. 

And they botched a few charecters pretty much beyond the point of return. But at least it wasn't as bad as Generations. That was just a terrible film. It was almost as bad as Jack Frost.

Edited by progistoomainstream - January 22 2012 at 20:44
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 15:03

-- speaking of ST reinterps, anyone seen the old show with the new exterior graphics?   They're way cool, and only certain exteriors and special effects that looked crappy were re-done, the bulk of the footage they left untouched.  But to be able to see the Galileo 7 streak across an emerald green nebula as Spock ignites the fuel instead of some cruddy model limp across a cardboard star field, or the Gorn's eyes blinking, or the Vulcan landscape and sky finally portrayed as it should've been, is a real treat.   Some people will complain they've tinkered with a classic but I think they did a great job on a show that deserved and desperately needed it.  

I like the fact that they took time to improve on the effects of the 60s which stinketh. At least one has a choice now to watch either. The Gorn is the Gorn though and thats just classic stuff and should be left alone. Its nice to see Enterprise soar across a planet looking splendiferous instead of a model on a starry curtain.  

My vote here btw has to be the 2 best films from each generation: ie 1. ST4 Voyage Home and 2. First Contact.

The worst from each is ST Motion Picture and Nemesis. or even Insurrection which was quite lame really, though had some good humour in it. 

Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 15:47

Liked the second movie most, but those films I have seen from the list weren't very good - have personally stuck quite fundamentally to the original 60's series.
It would have been interesting to see what they would have achieved if doing more TV series instead of motion pictures with the original actors from late 70's to 80's.

Might check the mentioned old series with new effects in the future Smile
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 01:30
Dunno about the films as much but I think I like the Next Generation more than the original series, but I need to watch the originals to be sure.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 22:25
I have watched almost every star trek production often twice over, but I don't consider myself a trekky, mainly for my ego, otherwise it is true.

I am especially partial to Star Trek V, despite it being hated. This is probably explained by my being an atheist (so is the film really), on the one hand, and enjoying efforts at social commentary in films, despite the major failures of the film including terrible effects, plot holes, messed up breaking of universe rules, etc. It also has good humor and a good villain, plus no idiot characters like David or any leading love interest for Kirk (I don't think?) or any ugly vulcan woman character.

Besides that, I would obviously praise Wrath of Kahn, First Contact and yes, maybe IV. The other films were pretty boring, though Undiscovered Country is fair, III is fairish... Insurrection is quite dreadful, generations is similar, Nemesis is mildly entertaining but barely Trek, the new film is Nemesis but with the dead weight cut, leaving a generic 2000s, 2010s action film that throws the whole of star trek down the tubes and replaces it with a comic book style universe in the making.

Of the series, I enjoyed them all, but the original is classic. Next Generation is a bit repetitive and boring at times, but strongest overall of any of the series on many points. Deep Space Nine is entertaining, a bit too shallow at times, Voyager I have not watched for a while but I have watched every episode. It continues in the vein of Deep Space Nine, and is generally intelligent, focusing on interpersonal development and exploring human nature and our culture & values like the others. Enterprise is alittle different, and got bogged down in mundane plots and action-adventure drama, but it was high quality. Failed to develop its characters correctly, but they might have been able to do more without the pressures and the cancellation.

I hope there is a new show in the prime universe someday. The internet may open up an opportunity for shows like that again, should television be defeated at long last.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 23:35
 ^ I saw ST:V when released and I liked it too (my friends did not), I dug the whole thing with one's pain and how Kirk slams Sybok by pointing out he needs his pain.. very TOS

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 04:42

^ I saw ST:V when released

For some strange reason that abbreviation reminds me of SCTV.  Loved their Farm Film Celebrity Blowup.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 23 2012 at 04:43
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 20:04
Don't kill the whale! (IV)

Edited by Formentera Lady - March 28 2012 at 20:40
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 20:57

The premise of IV was quite stupid, but the movie was so funny that I'll pick it anyway.

I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 21:19
Wrath of Khan, because it had rich Corinthian leather.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12