Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Move intellectual musical threads to prog lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMove intellectual musical threads to prog lounge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move intellectual musical threads to prog lounge
    Posted: December 26 2011 at 23:22

Discussions about the nature of music, its metaphysical and scientific implications, and its effect on the human soul and mind, are some of the most important conversations that take place on this site.  If we're interested in a progressive approach to making music, we should also be interested in a progressive way of discussing, studying, and listening to music.  Unfortunately, some of these discussions are confined to the "general music discussions" section of the forum, and thus do not recieve the attention they deserve.  I can specifically point out the "music as emotional catharsis" thread that, despite being an interesting, stimulating, and important discussion about the effect of music on our emotions, only has 2 pages after being open for several months.  I think that a move to the progressive music lounge would enliven these discussions, bring them on the radar of more people on this site, and foster more discussion on these important topics.  Though threads like these don't deal with prog specifically, they definitely include prog and pertain to prog especially because of progressive rock's unique status as a genre with one foot in the art world, one in the entertainment world, which creates paradoxes and conflicts of opinion that lend themselves to a theoretical discussion about music.

So my suggestion is to move open threads that deal with the theoretical study of music (not music theory) to the progressive music lounge, and to encourage those with new topics along this line to start them in the lounge, as well.  This way, this site can incorporate even more stimulating discussion into its forums and invite people to contribute to the great conversation about music.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 03:41
My personal view is that by doing so, we change the dynamic and focus of the site. This site is dedicated to progressive rock, not to a progressive approach to making music or a progressive way of discussing, studying, and listening to music. There are many topics which people will feel are  important (and to whicyh the word "progressive" can be added), but which are not appropriate to the Prog Music Lounge. People are welcome to discuss them here, but the headline subjects should always relate directly to Progressive Rock.

I don't agree that the type of threads you mention are in some way less popular because of their location. I believe they are less popular because they only appeal to a limited number of site members.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 07:19
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Discussions about the nature of music, its metaphysical and scientific implications, and its effect on the human soul and mind, are some of the most important conversations that take place on this site.  If we're interested in a progressive approach to making music, we should also be interested in a progressive way of discussing, studying, and listening to music.  Unfortunately, some of these discussions are confined to the "general music discussions" section of the forum, and thus do not recieve the attention they deserve.  I can specifically point out the "music as emotional catharsis" thread that, despite being an interesting, stimulating, and important discussion about the effect of music on our emotions, only has 2 pages after being open for several months.  I think that a move to the progressive music lounge would enliven these discussions, bring them on the radar of more people on this site, and foster more discussion on these important topics.  Though threads like these don't deal with prog specifically, they definitely include prog and pertain to prog especially because of progressive rock's unique status as a genre with one foot in the art world, one in the entertainment world, which creates paradoxes and conflicts of opinion that lend themselves to a theoretical discussion about music.

So my suggestion is to move open threads that deal with the theoretical study of music (not music theory) to the progressive music lounge, and to encourage those with new topics along this line to start them in the lounge, as well.  This way, this site can incorporate even more stimulating discussion into its forums and invite people to contribute to the great conversation about music.
Great topic! Especially around the mataphysical aspects that progressive music taps into.Whether in this lounge or that lounge it would be great to see more discussions around the ' Emotional" catharsis you refer to.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 09:02
If you're talking about music in general which may encompass prog, general music discussions is exactly the right place. Wacko
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 09:12

I think that a move to the progressive music lounge would enliven these discussions, bring them on the radar of more people on this site, and foster more discussion on these important topics. 

From my experience, it is the subject and the nature of the discussion that dictates how many people get involved in it and of what manner, instead of the forum section it is opened in. Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 09:34
Anyone whose interest is piqued by this subject and wishes to reflect further, can do so here: Music as Emotional Catharsis.
What?
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 11:21
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I think that a move to the progressive music lounge would enliven these discussions, bring them on the radar of more people on this site, and foster more discussion on these important topics. 

From my experience, it is the subject and the nature of the discussion that dictates how many people get involved in it and of what manner, instead of the forum section it is opened in. Smile

I see your point...I notice that the more accessible threads in the General Music Discussion board have up to 200 pages.  I guess it's just the esoteric nature of the discussions I'm talking about that limits their participationUnhappy.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 12:36
^ quality >>> quantity Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 12:51

^ quarrellers  >>> quaverers >>> quackery >>> quasi-intellectuals Tongue

What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 13:40
these are words with a q this time Tongue

qualog, quiatribe...

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 27 2011 at 13:41
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2011 at 23:25
qualudes..
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply