Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1000 Prog Albums Over 46 Years: 1966-2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 11:13
yeah if you not got Causa Sui in the list, then you not done your prog rock music research work properly and i agree with sleeper about the live albums..
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 11:29
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

1981 better have Deceit

Oops missed that - not enough interest here unfortunately to get on the list that is already jammed up.

What? But you got place for every Peter Gabriel pop album, Camel live from 1993 Marbles live, Operation Livecrime + tons of other live albums either by bands way past their period as relevant, or released 30 years after it was recorded. 

Fun for diehard fans but completely inessential.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 12:15
I love that you made this list, and I think you did a great job. I can agree with others who say most of the live albums can be omitted, and maybe add a couple that you missed (mostly in the late 90s/2000s).

Maybe have 1-2 live albums for each decade. Or maybe have the 1001 albums list, then a separate list with 101 live albums. Yes, a hundred and one.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 13:03
Originally posted by Parallax Sounds Parallax Sounds wrote:

yeah if you not got Causa Sui in the list, then you not done your prog rock music research work properly and i agree with sleeper about the live albums..

Or, maybe they're just a small time band that only a few people have heard of and as such have had little impact on other bands, so wouldnt really belong here.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Parallax Sounds View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 13:48
no i disagree Sleeper, they had lots of press in Classic Rock Prog, Record Collector, Q mag and more, but it's not about how big and small bands are, it's about the quality of music and i'm telling you that Causa Sui is oozing with prog quality! One of Causa Sui albums on vinyl went for something like $6000 on ebay a few months back.
Parallax Sounds View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 13:51
If you miss Causa Sui then this 1001 list would really be missing something essential. They been around since 2005 and done about 10 releases.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 13:54
This effort is certainly laudable. I haven't listened to likely over 900 of those!! I have work to do...
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 14:46
WOW!!!!!!

Firstly.......my hero AtomicCrimsonRush for PA President!!! Can I get an AMEN brother!!!

As much as I enjoy the Genesis blog, I can't image topping that one. This is an amazing feat of research and typing, you need a vacation now!

Couple thoughts
1) Can somehow this list be made permanent, stickyed for all to use as a reference in the future? Without all the comments/replys would be cool too.
2) Somekind of downloadable format, word, excel.....so that members can use this list as a future Christmas shopping list/wish list!!??

I would love to be able to just hand this list to other friends when asked.."so what kind of music do you listen to..?"......BAM! Here u go.

Awesome work!! Thanks for doing this.
As always........Thumbs Up Bowdown Clap x 1000

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 16:12

If you miss Causa Sui then this 1001 list would really be missing something essential. They been around since 2005 and done about 10 releases.

Having listened to their song on myspace and a few others I've come across I've found out why they're not already in the archives and wont be in this list, they're not prog but a 60's style blues rock/jam band. Good at what they do (particularly the guitarist, who seems quite talented) but completely devoid of anything that would class them as prog in anyway.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 16:27
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Having listened to their song on myspace and a few others I've come across I've found out why they're not already in the archives and wont be in this list, they're not prog but a 60's style blues rock/jam band. Good at what they do (particularly the guitarist, who seems quite talented) but completely devoid of anything that would class them as prog in anyway.

This must be the other Causa Sui then
Help me I'm falling!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 16:59
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

1981 better have Deceit

Oops missed that - not enough interest here unfortunately to get on the list that is already jammed up.

What? But you got place for every Peter Gabriel pop album, Camel live from 1993 Marbles live, Operation Livecrime + tons of other live albums either by bands way past their period as relevant, or released 30 years after it was recorded. 

I find the 80s lists that I've perused (haven't looked beyond that yet) partricularly unsatisfying from a personal standpoint.  It is an amazingly fertlile time for RIO/Avant category kinds of music.  I think the whole exercise quite futile, though, since there is such variety in PA, and so many different tastes, that even trying to come up with such a list where every one of us should hear all of them is misguided (I know that the title references popularly used titles eleswhere).  The best one can do is to try to keep it as well balanced as possible in terms of variety of styles -- a diverse list that focuses on the well-known and obscure and tries to represent as many styles of music under the Prog umbrellas as possible.  That said, I'm not a fan of Prog per se.  I do like a lot of music included in PA's Prog umbrella, and a lot that is not yet, but would be considerable, but I'm more of a progressive music fan and fan of music that relates to music in various categories here.

If I were to try to do such a list, I would only include ones that I know and like, and not research to see what is popular, but then I wouldn't attempt such an exercise.  Not really sure that I'd consider this a blog either, unless you are sharing your thoughts and experiences with all of the albums, or emphasising your opinion on topics relating to that.  I think of this as more of a Top Tens and Lists type of topic.

PS. No Wakhevitch in the list, and only one Art Zoyd album that I saw, for shame. ;)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 18:13
Great stuff!

One of my all-time top-10 albums isn't on there though Cry

Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape (2010)

But hey, it's not my list. I think you did a heck of a job. Looking forward to seeing some 2011 picks Smile
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 18:36
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

This must be the other Causa Sui then

As usual, my powers of observation fail me completely.Embarrassed

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:30

^For an essential band, I've never heard of them!

Overall a very good list. Obviously I'll disagree with some, as will everyone, but I feel that not including any Isis albums is a terrible mistake, Panoptican and/or Wavering Radient in particular are glaring omissions from the list. And most of the live albums could be done away with as well, unless they really do add something different.

Hey I can add some Isis or other - just let me know exact name of album and year (Panopticon?) - and I am happy to add - as I stated earlier there are some omissions and I want to add these so it is a better list so thanks for any help you can offer.

I can look them up AND then FIX THE LIST.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:31

Oh, what year was that? - There is a Ellis album from 2011 ("Piqui") that is on the list but I am still collating that....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:38
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Great stuff!

One of my all-time top-10 albums isn't on there though Cry

Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape (2010)

But hey, it's not my list. I think you did a heck of a job. Looking forward to seeing some 2011 picks Smile

Wow, I had not heard of that one. 

checking....

OKay, it certainly received high praises here and has made some impact on reviewers. I can add this easily
Thanks for letting me know!

I will delete one album in 2010

but which one.....?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

1981 better have Deceit

I find the 80s lists that I've perused (haven't looked beyond that yet) partricularly unsatisfying from a personal standpoint.  It is an amazingly fertlile time for RIO/Avant category kinds of music.  I think the whole exercise quite futile, though, since there is such variety in PA, and so many different tastes, that even trying to come up with such a list where every one of us should hear all of them is misguided (I know that the title references popularly used titles eleswhere).  The best one can do is to try to keep it as well balanced as possible in terms of variety of styles -- a diverse list that focuses on the well-known and obscure and tries to represent as many styles of music under the Prog umbrellas as possible.  That said, I'm not a fan of Prog per se.  I do like a lot of music included in PA's Prog umbrella, and a lot that is not yet, but would be considerable, but I'm more of a progressive music fan and fan of music that relates to music in various categories here.

If I were to try to do such a list, I would only include ones that I know and like, and not research to see what is popular, but then I wouldn't attempt such an exercise.  Not really sure that I'd consider this a blog either, unless you are sharing your thoughts and experiences with all of the albums, or emphasising your opinion on topics relating to that.  I think of this as more of a Top Tens and Lists type of topic.

PS. No Wakhevitch in the list, and only one Art Zoyd album that I saw, for shame. ;)

Thanks for that

Yeah its becoming more of a blog now that I have finished the initial list as a stimulus or discussion. And I intend to go back and write thoughts on each of the albums - after I have heard them. That is coming later.

or now I need a rest - that took me 4 solid days to compile. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

WOW!!!!!!

Firstly.......my hero AtomicCrimsonRush for PA President!!! Can I get an AMEN brother!!!

As much as I enjoy the Genesis blog, I can't image topping that one. This is an amazing feat of research and typing, you need a vacation now!

Couple thoughts
1) Can somehow this list be made permanent, stickyed for all to use as a reference in the future? Without all the comments/replys would be cool too.
2) Somekind of downloadable format, word, excel.....so that members can use this list as a future Christmas shopping list/wish list!!??

I would love to be able to just hand this list to other friends when asked.."so what kind of music do you listen to..?"......BAM! Here u go.

Awesome work!! Thanks for doing this.
As always........Thumbs Up Bowdown Clap x 1000

Hug

Your kind words are encouraging and I appreciate all that you said. I hope this can indeed be a reerence list of some sort as those other books are to me - "1001 Albums you must hear before you die" is great to check out certain albums you may never have heard of otherwise. This site is really a sanctuary if you are looking for new prog and I am still discovering daily. Even doing this list introduced me to some stunning bands. I have not heard a lot of these albums but my goal is to hear at least everything on this list! 

I will likely use it as a check list and just record thoughts on each one taken from my reviews. I would like to think the list covers every subgenre of prog but already encountered some flack from proggers who said their fave artist is omitted. Its so difficult to cater to such a broad range of music - it may even be impossible. But at least here is a starting point! 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 19:58
I would be remiss if I didn't at least suggest the following two:

Between Sunlight and Shadow
Singularity

Of All The Mysteries
Singularity

Probably not well know enough, but I had to try!  Smile

Great list, anyway!  I have to wonder if it's absolutely necessary to include so many albums by the same band.  I would take IQ as an example.  As much as I am a fan, I would probably include only Ever and Frequency, and maybe Tales.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 20:17

Brian Ellis is the main guitarist of Astra and he's done 3 solo albums which are prog especially his latest album "Quipu" got great press in Classic Rock presents Prog and other magazines.
Acid Mothers Temple is great japanese psychedelic prog band - a must also. Smile

Thanks for letting me know about that great space rock - I added Acid Mothers in one of the years - the album that received most praise seems to be Pataphysical MU so that's there.

Astra was an easy choice - The Weirding is perhaps one of the greatest albums of that year!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>