Peter
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I like John Lennon's songs (some of them), but lets be honest, the guy has a totally nasal voice, we like him more for his music than for his ability as vocalist. I seen Pavaroti singing Nessun Dorma in 1980 directed by Zubin Metah, and almost made me cry, even when I'm not a fan of Italian Opera, on the other hand German Opera fascinates me.
Whoever thinks this is pure technique, has no sensibility, and honestly, IMO John Lennon can't be compared with this guy (BTW: In 1980 Pavarotti was almost 50), and he sung until 2006 when he was 71 years old with very little loss in his skills.
Unquestionably Pavarotti is at an entirely different level of technical skill, didn't dispute that.   But as for sensibility, I find this very overwrought, or most Western classical singing for that matter.  So much emotion shouldn't have to be projected, it can also come from within.  The voice inherently has a lot of emotion and that doesn't really come through in this kind of singing, not for me anyway.  Now, as for Lennon, I have heard many, many covers of Across The Universe and not many convincing ones from amongst them.   The lines may be simple but the inflection is elusive, especially the somewhat lazy, dreamy manner in which he sings Jai guru deva.  Pavarotti did not try to sing like this so I cannot really compare the two, but I do know what I'd rather listen to.  Lennon writes great songs, yes, but he also conveys a lot of sincerity and that is not a quality I often hear in Western classical singing.  To some extent, also in prog rock singing, where again, dramatizing rather than emoting is given more importance. 

Roger, the personality of the singer shines no matter where he plays, that's why guys as Peter Gabriel were so unique playing in Genesis as playing their solo stuff. I heard like 30 tribute bands including The Musical Box, and not one comes near to the original...Not because Tony Banks or Steve Hackett but for Peter mostly, because some of this guys have learned the Banks and Hackett parts perfectly}, but nobody can learn what Peter gave..  
If Phil Collins could take on some of the Gabriel era songs on Seconds Out, they cannot be quite that unique.  I believe a fair few British singers have that kind of voice, though few are quite as low pitched as Gabriel's.   But some of them are in successful bands themselves and wouldn't want to cover Genesis. 

We have different perspectives, i see john Tout as an amazing pianist, and I seen gigs with the oriinal formation and with all the other new guys and is not remotely the same. People go to see them because of the name of the band, but clearly there's a difference between "Live at Carnegie Hall" than any 2000 gig 
That is because the Live at Carnegie Hall concerts had an orchestra to back them.  Same as the King Biscuit albums.  What about the gigs where they performed without an orchestra....and most of the gigs were performed only by the five members.    This is what Mother Russia sounds like live without an orchestra.  With modern technology and two keyboardists working in tandem, the band is able to replicate the orchestral parts better than in this 1976 performance, which, frankly, starts to drag:Speaking of Tout, he has great touch on the piano but he had his limitations when it came to using the synthesizer.  Most of the tones he used in live concerts in the 70s sound very dated today.   That, once again, is why it would have made more sense for the band to adopt a more rock/pop-like setup with more piano rather than orchestra...viz, more like Things I Don't Understand or Trip to the Fair.   Adapting the essence of Western classical music to a rock/pop-instrumental set up works only up to a point because a five piece is handicapped, in terms of timbre, in comparison to an orchestra.  Long classical pieces sound engrossing because you have string, brass and woodwind, taking turns to play or playing all together, as applicable.  Certainly, if the band is going to be melodic rather than experimental, at least balancing the odd epic with several short songs that let the singer sing makes more sense.

Isn't that what Resaissance does? They have 3 or 4 shorter songs, plus perhaps 2 or 3 songs near the 10 min in their albums if I remember correctly.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Isn't that what Resaissance does? They have 3 or 4 shorter songs, plus perhaps 2 or 3 songs near the 10 min in their albums if I remember correctly.

The other way round....except for Ashes Are Burning.  They have more songs in the 7-10 minute length and a couple of ballads.  And again by Song for All Seasons, they went back to writing more short songs with just a couple of long pieces. There's nothing wrong with writing 10 minuters but they are honestly not very good at it, barring notable exceptions like Trip to the Fair, Things I Don't Understand or Ashes are Burning (song), and they may have been better served with more short songs in every album.  

Edited by rogerthat - April 04 2012 at 19:13
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 20:04
Quote If Phil Collins could take on some of the Gabriel era songs on Seconds Out, they cannot be quite that unique.  I believe a fair few British singers have that kind of voice, though few are quite as low pitched as Gabriel's.   But some of them are in successful bands themselves and wouldn't want to cover Genesis.  

Anybody can take them, I heard Steve Hackett (AMAZING guitarist but not so great singer doing it), the problem is HOW THEY DO IT.

IMO Collins butchered Supper's Ready, Musical Box and The Lamb Lies Down.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 04 2012 at 20:04

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 22:57
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The other way round....except for Ashes Are Burning.  They have more songs in the 7-10 minute length and a couple of ballads.  And again by Song for All Seasons, they went back to writing more short songs with just a couple of long pieces. There's nothing wrong with writing 10 minuters but they are honestly not very good at it, barring notable exceptions like Trip to the Fair, Things I Don't Understand or Ashes are Burning (song), and they may have been better served with more short songs in every album.  

OK, let's see.
Ashes are burning: 2 nearly 10 min songs, one song over 5 min, and 3 songs under 5 minutes. So I guess this album is fair enough if what you want are shorter songs with more Annie singing and less instrumentation.
Turn of the Cards: 3 nearly 10 min songs, 1 over 5 min song, and 2 under 5 min songs. This one has a bit more of long songs, but it still has it's share of not so long songs (the over 5 min song doesn't reach the 7 min).
Scheherazade: OK, fair enough, this one is mainly long songs, only one under 5 min, and it's got a 20 min epic.
Novella: 2 nearly 10 minutes songs, 2 over 5 minutes songs (one doesn't reach the 6 min), and one under 5 min. Yeah, this one isn't very good on short songs, either.
Song for all Seasons: 2 nearly 10 min songs and 6 under 5 min songs. I believe this one should have it's fair share of shorter songs.
Azur D'or: 10 songs, all under 5 minutes (well, one is 5:13). If you want short songs, this one should be perfect.
I didn't check out the later albums, but I believe they must be even more dominated with short songs. So, as far as I can see, there must be quiet a good share of shorter songs if that's what you are looking for. And, besides, this is a prog forum, so anything under 10 min should actually be considered short

Still, whether the longer songs have good instrumentation or not, that depends on the listener. As far as I'm concerned, my favourite Renaissance songs so far are "Ashes are Burning", "Mother Russia", and "Scheherazade", so I rather go with the longer songs with more interaction between melodies and Haslam's vocals. Whether those melodies have a lot of orchestra support or not, I don't really care, I like the final product... very much.
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 07:58

Originally posted by hobocamp hobocamp wrote:

Greg Lake hands down. I would speculate that even PG, with his massive ego and (for my tastes) better overall career in music, would concede that. BTW the live perfomances on the box sets were re-engineered in 1998 with new vocal tracks.

Massive Ego? Peter?
No way, I followed his career and talked with him twice, the guy is incredibly humble, to the point he seems extremely shy.
In Lima he was embarrassed to find so many people waiting for him in the  airport, he didn't beleived so many people had brought his albums and posters for him to sign.
He took hours but he signed each and every one, on the other hand, members of his staff (except Tony Levin and Melanie) were pretty arrogant.
He even signed a copy of Turn it on Again (Where he doesn't play), that a friend took, the guy was incredibly kind and even humble.
Iván

I agree with everything you wrote. Up changed my taste in music forever. I have immense admiration for PG.
It is a compliment imo to have a massive ego. Still like GL's vocal quality, range, power and expressiveness more.

Edited by hobocamp - April 05 2012 at 08:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 10:59

Anybody can take them, I heard Steve Hackett (AMAZING guitarist but not so great singer doing it), the problem is HOW THEY DO IT.

I didn't mean it that literally! Shocked  I think Collins did a good job on Seconds Out and I won't elaborate on that but Kevin Gilbert also rendered convincing versions of Lamia and Back in NYC.  If I remember correctly, even Gabriel appreciated Jeff Buckley's cover of Back in NYC.   The beauty of Gabriel era Genesis songs lies in the vocal melody itself and less in their delivery.  Gabriel seems to be well versed with English...I mean, better than the likes of Lake and he can dramatize the lines in a way that sort of sounds clever.  But the delivery itself is not exactly exquisite. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 11:04

OK, let's see.

I don't think we are saying something very different as far as the albums go.  Ashes...and Song for all Seasons favour short songs more, while Scheherazade is the most lop sided in favour of long tracks.  When it comes to long tracks, I like to hear the music develop and on many of their long pieces, hardly anything happens.  Can You Hear Me even has a few minutes of simply playing more or less the same notes over and over without building any great deal of momentum.  Without Annie's vocals, most of their long tracks would fall flat...except songs like Trip to the Fair or Things I Don't Understand.  Now why it is that they didn't try to write more tracks like those, with some mystery and intrigue rather than just stately bombast, I have never understood. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 11:06

Whether those melodies have a lot of orchestra support or not, I don't really care, I like the final product... very much.

My point there was simply that it's not so much about what John Tout or Camp were playing, which Ivan had said, but the presence of the orchestra to beef up the sound. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 01:44
As a matter of fact, I would say that there are 3 things that stand out in my favourite Resaissance songs:
- Annie's vocals (of course).
- John Tout's piano (I really liked it a lot from the beginning).
- The orchestration (it fits the music and Haslam's vocals a lot).

And I still like many of the instrumental passages a lot, and don't find them flat nor anything. But then again, that's me.

However, I guess we should stop talking about Annie Haslam on this thread, we are way out of toppic.

Edited by Dellinger - April 08 2012 at 01:46
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 01:50
It's normal that if you make Leonard Cohen sing "Ashes Are Burning" the song may result flat. The ability of using at the best your instruments is a skill, if you have Annie Haslam in your band you can rely on her voice, where's the problem?

Listening to Carnegie Hall you can find a lot of instrumental passages where Annie's voice is not present and of course, with the orchestra is better than in studio, but how can you say that Mother Russia is "flat"? Just to mention one song.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 03:02
Sorry for jamming in, but let's get back to Peter and Greg Wacko . Let's take the Renaissance discussion to another thread.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 08 2012 at 03:03
theadolescentprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 11:39
Gabriel is a better frontman, but Greg is a better musician and has better vocals. My vote goes to Greg.
One of my favourite vocal performances.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 12:59
Originally posted by theadolescentprogger theadolescentprogger wrote:

Gabriel is a better frontman, but Greg is a better musician and has better vocals. My vote goes to Greg.
One of my favourite vocal performances.

Dead on, man Approve ! I do have to give credit to Peter for doing his best at singing as well, but his vocal timbre is just ... compared to Greg, so I keep my vote for Greg.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 08 2012 at 13:04
Capt Fongsby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 16:07
Hm, a bit surprised at how clearly skewed the voting is, given that the OP specified "voice only". Oh, well.

Gabriel's good, but my vote goes to Greg for his vocals with KC and classic ELP.
Rev Edwin North View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 13:38
Immature outspoken atheists? So speaking out about atheism is immature? Hitch, Dawkins, Harris etc? Given how theists behave with their imaginary friends and seek to oppress atheists I don't think speaking out is particularly immature.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 15:52
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

Without slightest hesitating: PG. No contest here.
A-JCharron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 01:28
Lake has one of the greatest voices in music. Gabriel is a good singer, but his voice is hardly above average.

Listen to the live stuff, Lake is a much more accomplished singer, if you forget about the 90's. In this year's tour, his voice was incredible!
Humouring Gods; Where Classic Meets Rock

http://www.ajcharronmusic.com
<a href="http://[email protected]"
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 02:07
Peter Gabriel will always have a special place in my heart. More special than Greg Lake's. In fact, Lake doesn't even have a spot in my heart reserved.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 00:36
Giant Hogweed is avenged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456