Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPage vs Blackmore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Page vs Blackmore
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [54.43%]
36 [45.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Page vs Blackmore
    Posted: April 15 2016 at 22:19
^Uh...this thread is about Page and Blackmore......I think you meant to post that on the Spirit 'lawsuit' thread.
Confused

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 08:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjOHFYPuuHk

This is the ukulele origins of Stairway. Actually the thing is "composed / derived of two pieces. There's some nice harp versions about on You Tube. Stairway to Carolan is the correct title.

The court case is about the intro which dates from c. 1500 and this which Page" wrote" later on. I saw this on you tube as well - the footage lasted surprisingly well over 600 years, technology really does last the distance. Anyway, I'm, not sure the Spirit crowd want to draw too much to this really. I mean R. California nee Wolfe didn't write it either. Neither did Bach and he's used it here and there to fill in those "difficult" bridge pieces when required, y'know how it is.... it's been hanging around for centuries.

Yet to find where Robert found the lyrics. Bacon? Marlowe? ... Shakespeare even? Who can say?

Bet Jonesy is glad he is not involved in this.
"Were you involved in the writing of Stairway, Jonesey?"
"No. But very few in the band were actually..."

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 01:23
Some things never change. I remember this same question being asked by many already in 1971 and seemingly, ever since. Sleepy
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 00:27
Yep, it's one of the reasons he took the gig.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 22:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Come on, really?

Friggin' Jimmy.

Thumbs Up
Zep rules.....Plant used to say that Jimmy played guitar from somewhere left of Heaven.

Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 21:22
Come on, really?

Friggin' Jimmy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 13:48
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Oh dear.

To be quite honest with you, I never see the point of these threads. Comparing one musician with another one is ... well, pretty pointless. 

The problem with "guitar idols" is that non musicians are told "this person is a good guitarist" by people who are trying to shift records. Non musicians don't actually know, and it's very difficult to convey to a fan that perhaps Slash et al are actually not good players and merely the tip of a marketing exercise. You will not convince a Led Zep or Deep Purple fan that their idols aren't very good, as they "know". Actually, they're confusing "opinion" with "knowledge", but there y'go. 

Before you, Dear Readers, read this and your hackles go up - "Do you actually play guitar to a high standard ??? " I'm not trying to stir anything here, I'm just giving you the musicians' perspective. 

From a musical point of view, Jimmy Page was, in the early days, good in a studio environment but absolutely horrendous live. His timing is atrocious and he chokes or misses notes. I wouldn't say "rubbish", but his reputation has been massively inflated. When the drugs kicked in, Page was worthless. There was apparently one particular gig where he was fretting chords on one neck of a double neck guitar, playing the other one, and either didn't notice or didn't care, he was so out of it. Some of his work is musically creative, but he's not particularly good, honestly. Massively overinflated reputation. 

Blackmore is several levels above Page and displays quite an amazing (for the time) level of musical creativity and concentration. He has a much wider range of influences to call on, he really was something special. And then, guess what ? He gets lazy and almost resentful of playing and being "a guitar hero" and it all goes sour. However, I rate Blackmore about ten levels higher than Jimmy Page. 

Of course, all the Zep fans will now be outraged, the Purple fans possibly as well, but..... the point I'm trying to make is "let's actually answer the question properly" rather than "what have I been told by marketing men and "best guitar player polls", written by people who don't actually play and are after your money or attention ? 

Yep. Even in the studio Page would sometimes have questionable performances (solo of Heartbreaker for instance), but live it was worse. His main virtue was his ability to create riffs, only second to Keith Richards in rock probably.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 13:44
What Chopper said.....and I was going to say that to Davesax but chopper beat me to it.
I have always preferred Page and Zep's music  to Blackmore and DP's music. 
Blackmore's 'ability' aside I always felt they were a bit boring and had some real mediocre tracks compared to what Zep were doing on their albums.

Haquin
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 08:28
That's it exactly - it's "who do you prefer" and not "who's better", really. ;-)

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 07:49
The question for me is which one do I prefer to listen to? and the answer for me is Page, because he has the best riffs and songs - Custard Pie, Whole Lotta Love, Immigrant Song to name but three.
I like Purple and Blackmore as well (although from what I gather as a basic guitar player, Blackmore tends to stick to the same key most of the time) but Blackmore (or at least did) have an ego problem.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 06:48
I play guitar, bass, keyboards, sax, flute. 
I work with someone who is possibly the worlds' worst guitar player - he likes drawing attention to himself, too. He went off to Ronnie Scotts' once and told me how I would have enjoyed it "as they had a very good sax player there."

I said "Do you play sax, Will ?"
"Er, no."
"Then how do you know ? "
"Oh, he sounded very good to me."

This from a man who thinks every sax solo he hears on the radio "sounds like Baker Street". 

Is the question here, really, "Who do you prefer, Blackmore or Page, or rather, Led Zep or Deep Purple" ??? 

Edited by Davesax1965 - April 14 2016 at 06:49

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 06:44
Oh dear.

To be quite honest with you, I never see the point of these threads. Comparing one musician with another one is ... well, pretty pointless. 

The problem with "guitar idols" is that non musicians are told "this person is a good guitarist" by people who are trying to shift records. Non musicians don't actually know, and it's very difficult to convey to a fan that perhaps Slash et al are actually not good players and merely the tip of a marketing exercise. You will not convince a Led Zep or Deep Purple fan that their idols aren't very good, as they "know". Actually, they're confusing "opinion" with "knowledge", but there y'go. 

Before you, Dear Readers, read this and your hackles go up - "Do you actually play guitar to a high standard ??? " I'm not trying to stir anything here, I'm just giving you the musicians' perspective. 

From a musical point of view, Jimmy Page was, in the early days, good in a studio environment but absolutely horrendous live. His timing is atrocious and he chokes or misses notes. I wouldn't say "rubbish", but his reputation has been massively inflated. When the drugs kicked in, Page was worthless. There was apparently one particular gig where he was fretting chords on one neck of a double neck guitar, playing the other one, and either didn't notice or didn't care, he was so out of it. Some of his work is musically creative, but he's not particularly good, honestly. Massively overinflated reputation. 

Blackmore is several levels above Page and displays quite an amazing (for the time) level of musical creativity and concentration. He has a much wider range of influences to call on, he really was something special. And then, guess what ? He gets lazy and almost resentful of playing and being "a guitar hero" and it all goes sour. However, I rate Blackmore about ten levels higher than Jimmy Page. 

Of course, all the Zep fans will now be outraged, the Purple fans possibly as well, but..... the point I'm trying to make is "let's actually answer the question properly" rather than "what have I been told by marketing men and "best guitar player polls", written by people who don't actually play and are after your money or attention ? 

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 06:09
Blackmore.
Looks like there will be court case for Stairway to Heaven rip off.
Good ole Jimmy. 
Shake & bake.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 23:15
I definitely like Blackmore better - but I also always preferred Deep Purple to Led Zeppelin. 

The other night I put on some late Mark III - live in Europe or some such thing - and felt like I perceived a lack of depth in Blackmore's playing. Of course, this isn't his best playing - I'll have to put on some early Rainbow or something - his playing is kind of patchwork - lick after lick - I remember him saying that the only guitar solo he could remember was Highway Star - but solos can be constructed in a musical way - Jerry Garcia springs to mind, maybe Uli Jon Roth? Definitely Steve Howe. But of course these are all vastly different players. 

I think that Page was much more of a visionary, and I listened to Zep pretty intently for a year or two in high school. Actually neither band really draws me in right now, but even now if I had to choose one it would be Deep Purple. So I voted Blackers!
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 15:27
I can't decide. Confused
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 10:21
Blackmore over Page & Iommi over Blackmore.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 06:10
Both are great in their own right...but I guess Page gets my vote by a very narrow margin.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 04:29
Jp is great at working his solos in with the rhythm section (Dazed); his odd choices for phrases I think confuse and annoy anyone who wants everything to start on the one. When all this is happening at lightning speed it can induce bewilderment.

On the last ever performance of Stairway in Berlin he hijacks Plants vocal (not sure the singer was aware) and performs the vocal line on guitar (in case anyone was wondering...). Then the piece finishes normally. It really is quite something. Check it out.

As for the plagiarism, it was complicated. Y'see Jimmy and The Yardbirds were signed to (then) CBS. SO was Plant. But not JP who was signed to Atlantic. The Erteguns (in common with JP and PG) did not want to fork out loads of money in split royalties to CBS so credits were apportioned to avoid this. Dodgy old music biz in the 1960s.

But this is down to the record companies, publishers and management not up to the mere pop musicians. The Lemon Song was originally credited to Chester 'Howlin' Wolf' Burnett until Atlantic changed that. Saw a original copy once with this.

Anyway Purple's Black Night is a steal. I heard an interview on the radio with IG who told the story. The main riff is a Ricky Nelson B side (a bit was played) and Blackmore asked him if he (IG) had ever heard of it. IG said no and Black Night was born. Bit like the riff for Moby Dick. I must admit these dodgy origins have reduced my perceptions of this still classic second album.

Anyway the plagiarist most at fault is Plant - Whole Lotta Love, HMMT, NFBM (ironically) a verse of SIBLY (why??). Still I think he was not well advised by those in charge of the business. Anyone noticed that Plant now has a writing credit for BIGLY where none had existed? Not absolutely sure why. He never had a writing credit on the first album- the Erteguns again did not want to fork cash out to CBS; they waited 'til RP's out of contract.

Now everyone knows the song's (Babe I'm Gonna Leave You that is) origins. They had always said they were doing the version heard on a Joan Baez album. No one accused her of ripping anyone off (both correctly attributed the number to a traditional arrangement).

I think both are fine live but as was mentioned when Blackmore (and Lord) made lots of noise it might have been thrilling at the time but it was hell on the ears....  anyway they made great studio albums. But I think I'd credit Page with being the ultimate rock band guitarist. Blackmore has been influenced by Page. He used to think the world of Kashmir which originated the real epic style of heavy rock around then. But RB's great on the classical influence in hard rock.

Edited by uduwudu - April 02 2016 at 05:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 19:29
LOL

Stern Smile

LOL

James Patrick Page.

Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 18:09
Blackmore wins for me, even if he became slightly obsessed with Kashmir-style riffs. I've read somewhere an opinion I agree with: Blackmore wasn't the fastest guitarist around, nor the most technical, nor the most flashy, but he excelled in all three areas as a whole.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>