Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPage vs Blackmore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Page vs Blackmore
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [54.43%]
36 [45.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 16:18
Blackmore easily. Deep Purple and then Rainbow - not too fond of Blackmore's Night however. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 17:40
Blackmore! For all those great Rainbow albums alone.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 20:31
Pagey............in their heydays with their bands Page was more interesting overall imo and came up with more killer riffs and classic rock songs but these days Blackmore seems to have found another niche with his prog folk and Page hasn't done anything interesting for a long time.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moszaic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 10:00
Page for sure
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 19:26
Ritchie Blackmore, no question!

I've always felt Page is kind of over rated.

Edited by Zenbadger - November 02 2013 at 19:26
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 19:48
It used to be Page for a few decades but recently , I have come to admire Ritchie, mostly for his tone, style and recent turn towards medieval stuff! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2013 at 20:38
Not sure, I really like both players... and their bands. I guess I give the edge to Page, because I feel Zep songs were more diverse, including the guitar playing in them. However, if I take in consideration Rainbow too, the choice becomes even more difficult.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2013 at 21:53
Difficult choice here since both are excellent, but probably Ritchie Blackmore.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
lockie1512 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 09:35
Blackmore forever
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 13:31

I loved Pete Townshend's recollection of Blackmore; Pete said that RB used to live down the road from him and was well advanced in his guitar technique compared to Townshend.  However, Pete also said that from the first old Richie was always in a dour mood - never smiled, never said hello, never hung out.  He just went to guitar lessons and.....that was it.  Pete said the guitar was the extent of Richie's personality.  Maybe that's why I dig Pagey more - just more expressive with the axe.  Everybody digs Blackmore.....he was probably the better musician, but Page just said more with the guitar.....and the songs.....and especially the riffs.  Page is all about the riffs.

Edited by Intruder - March 21 2016 at 13:31
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Vikingrat9966 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 11:36
Two of my faves for different reasons. Blackmore is the Errol Flynn of the Strat. Page is just an awesome writer and sometimes riff lifter. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 12:24
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

........ Everybody digs Blackmore.....he was probably the better musician, but Page just said more with the guitar.....and the songs.....and especially the riffs.  Page is all about the riffs.

Yep...that's how I feel. Blackmore is the better technical player but there's something about Page and the riffs and the whole Zep package that makes it more interesting. Page's style and hooks draw you in to the overall mystique that's Led Zep. I  liked the classic DP period but always felt there was something missing in the band overall. I felt that Blackmore could have done more/better songs with them....took them a level higher regarding the whole package. While that has nothing to do with Blackmore's ability on guitar it left me liking Page and Zep more.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 16:31
Page's too sloppy. I like him but definitely prefer Blackmore. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 17:11
Page for the consistency of his catalog, as opposed to several indisputably great leads by Blackmore along with some dodgy material.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 18:09
Blackmore wins for me, even if he became slightly obsessed with Kashmir-style riffs. I've read somewhere an opinion I agree with: Blackmore wasn't the fastest guitarist around, nor the most technical, nor the most flashy, but he excelled in all three areas as a whole.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 19:29
LOL

Stern Smile

LOL

James Patrick Page.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 04:29
Jp is great at working his solos in with the rhythm section (Dazed); his odd choices for phrases I think confuse and annoy anyone who wants everything to start on the one. When all this is happening at lightning speed it can induce bewilderment.

On the last ever performance of Stairway in Berlin he hijacks Plants vocal (not sure the singer was aware) and performs the vocal line on guitar (in case anyone was wondering...). Then the piece finishes normally. It really is quite something. Check it out.

As for the plagiarism, it was complicated. Y'see Jimmy and The Yardbirds were signed to (then) CBS. SO was Plant. But not JP who was signed to Atlantic. The Erteguns (in common with JP and PG) did not want to fork out loads of money in split royalties to CBS so credits were apportioned to avoid this. Dodgy old music biz in the 1960s.

But this is down to the record companies, publishers and management not up to the mere pop musicians. The Lemon Song was originally credited to Chester 'Howlin' Wolf' Burnett until Atlantic changed that. Saw a original copy once with this.

Anyway Purple's Black Night is a steal. I heard an interview on the radio with IG who told the story. The main riff is a Ricky Nelson B side (a bit was played) and Blackmore asked him if he (IG) had ever heard of it. IG said no and Black Night was born. Bit like the riff for Moby Dick. I must admit these dodgy origins have reduced my perceptions of this still classic second album.

Anyway the plagiarist most at fault is Plant - Whole Lotta Love, HMMT, NFBM (ironically) a verse of SIBLY (why??). Still I think he was not well advised by those in charge of the business. Anyone noticed that Plant now has a writing credit for BIGLY where none had existed? Not absolutely sure why. He never had a writing credit on the first album- the Erteguns again did not want to fork cash out to CBS; they waited 'til RP's out of contract.

Now everyone knows the song's (Babe I'm Gonna Leave You that is) origins. They had always said they were doing the version heard on a Joan Baez album. No one accused her of ripping anyone off (both correctly attributed the number to a traditional arrangement).

I think both are fine live but as was mentioned when Blackmore (and Lord) made lots of noise it might have been thrilling at the time but it was hell on the ears....  anyway they made great studio albums. But I think I'd credit Page with being the ultimate rock band guitarist. Blackmore has been influenced by Page. He used to think the world of Kashmir which originated the real epic style of heavy rock around then. But RB's great on the classical influence in hard rock.

Edited by uduwudu - April 02 2016 at 05:04
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 06:10
Both are great in their own right...but I guess Page gets my vote by a very narrow margin.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 10:21
Blackmore over Page & Iommi over Blackmore.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 15:27
I can't decide. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>