Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:12
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Radiohead is a really great answer! And I didn't mean prog with no influences I meant with no influence of old prog. And any band who are influenced by modern prog are good answers too since it's not a direct link.

Influences of old prog was what got me into Radiohead in the first place.  I don't buy their denial.  Seriously.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:16
Karnivool (Australia).

The Butterfly Effect (Australia).

Edited by PhideauxFan - February 26 2012 at 10:47
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 19:55
MESHUGGAH!!! 

...oh wait, king crimson.
This is really an impossible task. Its like asking for a science or physics discipline that isnt based on other scientific disciplines. Its all evolution man. I mean building blocks, stepping stones, etc. etc. if your talking a bands that just skip the 70's and play non-rock in the vain of Universe Zero then yeah, your talking bands not influenced by 70's prog but EVERYTHING afterwards if its rock or progressive is going to be influenced by a prog band or derivative. 
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 19:59
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Karnivool (Australia).

Edited by keiser willhelm - March 01 2012 at 20:00
RH View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 19:12
It's very hard answer this question, because there are ever any group reminding the old generation!
Well there few groups founding  his proprer style!  I think, example: Cranium Pie, Ultraviolet Hippotamus, etc.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 19:15
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

A very healthy concept, but the way music is today, totally doomed to failure.

Excuse me? Explain that.
Originality is almost a dead art; in the days of radio without pop music and no tv in most homes till that generation was already grown, people had to use their imagination. Now musicians and writers don't have to invent, they just trawl the internet. Parody and pastiche rule.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 23:14
Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Maybe I haven't listened to a whole lot of Post-Rock, but I don't think there's that much 70's Prog influence in the music. Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am. LOL I'd actually love to hear a Post-Rock band with obvious and prominent 70's influences.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - March 14 2012 at 23:14
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 01:41

Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

A very healthy concept, but the way music is today, totally doomed to failure.

Excuse me? Explain that.
Originality is almost a dead art; in the days of radio without pop music and no tv in most homes till that generation was already grown, people had to use their imagination. Now musicians and writers don't have to invent, they just trawl the internet. Parody and pastiche rule.

Lack of originality is debatable and to the extent it is true, it has more to do with cynical critics painting world music as a gimmick instead of recognizing the mind boggling possibilities that lie therein and lazy audiences lapping up their 'analysis'.  How many more minute variations on blues standards are people going to peddle and for how long?  There is more scope for expansion in bringing more ethnic forms of music to the mainstream, something that the visionary Dvorak realized more than a century back. The most original music I have heard from the last 20-30 years is more often than not world music oriented and that doesn't surprise me. 
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 07:48
Interesting point. That would make a very fascinating topic in itself.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 11:17
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Lack of originality is debatable and to the extent it is true, it has more to do with cynical critics painting world music as a gimmick instead of recognizing the mind boggling possibilities that lie therein and lazy audiences lapping up their 'analysis'.  How many more minute variations on blues standards are people going to peddle and for how long?  There is more scope for expansion in bringing more ethnic forms of music to the mainstream, something that the visionary Dvorak realized more than a century back. The most original music I have heard from the last 20-30 years is more often than not world music oriented and that doesn't surprise me. 

You wrote this way better than I could ... and thank you.

One more addon to what you wrote about the "more minute variations" is also that the same thing is happening to "progressive" by simply adding a new name to the sub-divisions. You ought to take a look at the sub-divisions in jazz ... it's insane and sometimes I think it's really denigrading to the art form itself. It's almost like if it's played with this it's called this, but if it is played with that ... it's something else. (ie .. piano or synth!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Maybe I haven't listened to a whole lot of Post-Rock, but I don't think there's that much 70's Prog influence in the music. Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am. LOL I'd actually love to hear a Post-Rock band with obvious and prominent 70's influences.

GY!BE are a mix of Glenn Branca and AshRa Tempel in what influences are concerned, so they're '70s based, just not on what could be called "classic prog".
progbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 19:48
Masfel from Hungary?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 06:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You ought to take a look at the sub-divisions in jazz ... it's insane and sometimes I think it's really denigrading to the art form itself. It's almost like if it's played with this it's called this, but if it is played with that ... it's something else. (ie .. piano or synth!)

The irony is that when I suggest that stuff like Headhunters is already breaking away from the core of jazz, as it was in the 50s and 60s, people like to throw that quote about how you can never know what jazz is.  And yet, people know exactly what is jazz rock, third stream, etc etc.   Yes, all these subdivisions are fine as long as they don't make people too specific in their expectations from music but frequently, they do.  The other day, there were people arguing one shouldn't suggest Wire or Magazine as recommendations for a punk listener...because they are post punk.  Oh, what a grave mistake, that!   And it's become about these incremental changes and small details Dead rather than big change that takes your breath away.

Edited by rogerthat - March 18 2012 at 06:28
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 07:36
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

GY!BE are a mix of Glenn Branca and AshRa Tempel in what influences are concerned, so they're '70s based, just not on what could be called "classic prog".

70's based? That's would be surprising if true. My understanding was that they were influenced by post-punk/post rock or underground indie-rock, ambient and shoegazer (4AD stuff for example). And also Gorecki, the composer whose third symphony has a specific form where the arrangement starts simple, then things are gradually added to it.

When I was listening to Piano Magic's album from 1999 I heard a resemblance to Godspeeds "Lift Yr Skinny Fists" album at times. Listen here! :

I can't believe that their main influences would be from 70's sources. I think their main influence is "underground indie rock" to be simple - and they are a part of that "genre". But the most important thing is that their music is original, they're not a product of something else that could have been predicted, becasue even if they have influences, their influences are so many and different and their final product is really something creative, something that is really independent .

Otherwise you could say the same thing about the 70's artists - that they were merely the product of some obvious influences. But it's not what the thread was looking for , it was looking for artists "who don't overtly emulate any of the 1970s "greats" "  (as was restated by altaeria). 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 12:06
^ Post punk started in the 70s, which kinda gets forgotten because it peaked in the '80s. For example, GY!BE main influence, Glenn Branca did release his essential works in 1980 and 1981, but those came out of a development that took place in the late '70s, when he crossbred minimalism with post punk.

This is a good introductory read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Wave

Edited by harmonium.ro - March 18 2012 at 12:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ Post punk started in the 70s, which kinda gets forgotten because it peaked in the '80s. For example, GY!BE main influence, Glenn Branca did release his essential works in 1980 and 1981, but those came out of a development that took place in the late '70s, when he crossbred minimalism with post punk.

This is a good introductory read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Wave

Now, I know Sonic Youth are part of the whole No Wave movement, so would they be considered an influence to Post?
They're are an extremely big influence on Indie/Alternative and they were some of the first to create "Noise atmospheres" with their instruments and use different methods to alter their instruments timbre. It's interesting to see that Post Rock's origins and influences actually came from Post-Punk and Indie rather than Progressive Rock.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 13:36
I see Sonic Youth as rather one of the first bands to be influenced by the core of no-wave pioneers instead of one of the pioneers that GY!BE would have looked up to. But I don't have enough info so it's possible that GY!BE might have picked up their influences through Sonic Youth. One thing that's sure is that SY changed quite a bit after their early days, losing the noise-rock harshness and the experimentalism and becoming more accessible. In this period they certainly influenced a good number of bands that we now consider progressive. One of the most striking cases is to me Motorpsycho, whose sound could be defined as Daydream Nation + classic prog. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 21:19
They must have been a huge influence on Mogwai, though. In the 80's they were a little bit more Avant/Noise and when it came to Daydream Nation, it was like the perfect mix of their past material and for what was to come. In the 90's they adapted commercially to the whole Alternative/Grunge/Indie explosion. Some of their best work was in the 90's, but the style and adventure of their 80's material was sort of diminished. My favourite Sonic Youth albums are Daydream Nation (of course), Dirty, Sister and Goo. Great stuff. Thumbs Up They're on a hiatus now due to Thurston's and Kim's divorce. Unhappy I'll definitely check out Motorpsycho. I've heard some talk about them on this site and they sound interesting.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 16:33
The answer is no
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345