Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs obscure, difficult prog deeper or more ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by progprogprog progprogprog wrote:

IMO mostly one finds their main music taste around ages 20-25.

That you can only know when you're old.
progprogprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 14:00
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

then what do you live with?!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 14:18

You live with whatever you like the most, obviously. I have no idea how old you are, I just meant that if you are for example 40, you may say that you found your main taste at 20-25, but you can not know if that will still be true when you will be 55, maybe then you will say that you found your most loved taste at 45. Or not, who knows until you will be there. And at 75?

I thought it was obvious but apparently I had to explain it: you only know your past, your future not yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 14:44

You live with whatever you like the most, obviously. I have no idea how old you are, I just meant that if you are for example 40, you may say that you found your main taste at 20-25, but you can not know if that will still be true when you will be 55, maybe then you will say that you found your most loved taste at 45. Or not, who knows until you will be there. And at 75?

I thought it was obvious but apparently I had to explain it: you only know your past, your future not yet.
I didn't want to emphasize on numbers, the point that I hopefully wanted to make was it takes time for anybody to get mature in music understanding. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 20:24
obscure, difficult prog deeper or more rewarding than pleasant, accessible
All of these terms describe different characteristics and hence will yield different experiences depending on the listener.

Obscure does not mean better, and familiar does not mean worse.  These terms are just a matter of popularity.  Note that several highly rated albums and artists on this site were extremely popular.  Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull were majore acts at one time, and Floyd is one of the biggest rock bans ever. I have to admit though, that obscure bands interest me because they offer a bit of an adventure - the chance of hearing something that I could not hear anywhere else.  Obscure also depends on where you live.  Journey was an important band to a lot of people in my area when was a teenager, including me and my friends, but that was before they became major hit machines; we loved their first three albums, which were not that well known.  They became popular because they changed their sound to one being more accessable.

Difficult can apply either to complexity or to a challenge to one's taste.  Again, neither necessarily means better, but I do tend to prefer my music with enough complexity that I can hear different aspects and nuances over repeated listens.  That is, of course, if I like the music in the first place.  If it challenges my taste, then, as stated above by ?, I will listen until I get some sense for what is going on but only if it intrigues me in some way.  If I don't like it at all at first listen, there is little incentive to continue.

Nor do I think that obscure or difficult is mutually opposed to pleasant or rewarding.  Barclay James Harvest is not well known in my region, but their music is very pleasant.

I think it takes us all a while to realize what it is we really like, and that some of us find that sooner than others.  One aspect of that is that we need to hear a variety of styles and genres before we can be certain about it.  Otherwise we are just taking in what the commercial interests are feeding us.  Many of us on this site can tell the same storey: we were listening to the mainstream but then someone played something that just blew our minds.  For me, it was hearing whole albums by Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull, Yes, and Deep Purple.  The important thing is to listen to what you like, and if that requires some searching, then so be it.  What else would you do?  Listen to the same pap that's no longer satisfying?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 07:20
Im just here to get my posts up.  :)
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 07:40
Originally posted by Quirky Turkey Quirky Turkey wrote:

How about actually adding to the discussion? If you don't want to then why on earth are you on the site anyway?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 09:32
Originally posted by To each his or her own, no music is inherently better or deeper or anything than any other music.<br>[/QUOTE To each his or her own, no music is inherently better or deeper or anything than any other music.
[/QUOTE wrote:

]

Exactly the way I see it.

Exactly the way I see it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 09:36
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I think it takes us all a while to realize what it is we really like, and that some of us find that sooner than others.  One aspect of that is that we need to hear a variety of styles and genres before we can be certain about it.  Otherwise we are just taking in what the commercial interests are feeding us.  Many of us on this site can tell the same storey: we were listening to the mainstream but then someone played something that just blew our minds.  For me, it was hearing whole albums by Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull, Yes, and Deep Purple.  The important thing is to listen to what you like, and if that requires some searching, then so be it.  What else would you do?  Listen to the same pap that's no longer satisfying?
That's so true.My best things are those that I found harder.
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 14:15
sometimes
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 16:53
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

I think that accessibility is a trait in music that shouldn't judge whether the album's good or not. If an album is good at first listen- then it's a good album. If you have a hard time getting the album- listen to it until you actually understand what's going on- then judge. For example, I had to listen to Deathspell Omega abrasive style of weird prog black metal like 20 time to find out that in the end the album just had great song writing. Don't let the accessibility of a band waver your judgement of good, deep, intelligent, song-writing, and that includes accessible and inaccessible bands. There's only one bad type of bad bands- the ones who write bad songs, not the ones who write difficult ones. Difficult albums can be as deep as "easy listening" albums- a band's sound doesn't have anything to do with its song-writing skills.

this
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 07:26
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

How about actually adding to the discussion? If you don't want to then why on earth are you on the site anyway?

Don't make us have to turn your ass into quirky turkey jerky. Tongue

By the way I don't think obscure difficult prog is deeper but I do think is more...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 07:39
Sometimes good, or even great music, isn't that well-known or commerically successful.  That doesn't diminish it's quality.  I'm always looking for new music and with the internet, it's much easier to come across bands or artists who don't get airplay or much hype.  That's half the fun I suppose.  Still, regardless of how progressive or artsy or technically difficult the music is, if it doesn't speak to me, then I move on.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 07:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Don't make us have to turn your ass into quirky turkey jerky. Tongue

By the way I don't think obscure difficult prog is deeper but I do think is more...
 Tongue

p.s.  Just wanted to add an almighty +1
Always thinking in extremes.That's my way to beat boredom.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 09:14
Personally, music that is complex, beautiful, emotional, furious, and weird all at once caters specifically to how my brain works, and it hits pieces of me that other kinds of music can't seem to hit.
As you delve deeper into weirdness it is able to conjur stranger emotions.

But then again, that's how my brain works specifically. It's all subjective.
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 16:59
In a way, yeah. The thing is true obscurity tends to require creativity from the artist (not always of course...). Just like an opera aria by Verdi is harder to understand than a musical number, but is often far more rewarding, I often also find it rewarding as a musician to get to know into more obscure works. 

Depends though: a work of great simplicity can be equally creative and worthy of the title "art," which certainly doesn't include a lot of popular music.
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 17:25
For me, whichever works more rewarding depends on my mood
          Sometimes, something part of the well known mainstream works wonders for me, and other moods require that the music be really obscure

and some obscure music sounds like commercial mainstream, and some mainstream music can have a deep element to it
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 00:47
Originally posted by Isa Isa wrote:

a work of great simplicity can be equally creative and worthy of the title "art," which certainly doesn't include a lot of popular music.

Sometimes I find a basic punk thrash very refreshing, and the laughably bad can  really cheer me up. I once spent a whole punk concert doubled up crying with laughter. And then there was Wrathchild - although my eyebrows got singed when the dustbins at the front of the stage unexpectedly erupted flame. Just as well it was outdoors. 
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 08:15
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by Isa Isa wrote:

a work of great simplicity can be equally creative and worthy of the title "art," which certainly doesn't include a lot of popular music.

Sometimes I find a basic punk thrash very refreshing, and the laughably bad can  really cheer me up. I once spent a whole punk concert doubled up crying with laughter. And then there was Wrathchild - although my eyebrows got singed when the dustbins at the front of the stage unexpectedly erupted flame. Just as well it was outdoors. 

hahaha- I go to underground punk shows in Columbus like 2 days a week for the atmosphere. 95% of the bands are... let's just say they are... boring.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 08:54

We'll just keep stopping the meter pilgrim until such time as you're ready to contribute something to the discussion at hand. Evil Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>