Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you recommend me some headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:17
Originally posted by Geneyes Geneyes wrote:

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphones. All of my other headphones have become redundant. They are the perfect headphones for me: rich, warm, natural-sounding with excellent bass presence.

I can't argue with what you said in anyway. Sennheiser offer quality in just about all of their models. They are the most competitive headphone company in the world in just about any price bracket.
I of course own their flagship HD 800's (no mods done) and they compete with AUDEZE, mr. Speakers, HIFI man and bayerdynamic flagship headphones.
They are a steal for the $
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:17

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphones. All of my other headphones have become redundant. They are the perfect headphones for me: rich, warm, natural-sounding with excellent bass presence.

I can't argue with what you said in anyway. Sennheiser offer quality in just about all of their models. They are the most competitive headphone company in the world in just about any price bracket.
I of course own their flagship HD 800's (no mods done) and they compete with AUDEZE, mr. Speakers, HIFI man and bayerdynamic flagship headphones.
They are a steal for the $
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:20

A very competitive headphone company in just about any price bracket you can think of.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:07
This thread is a little old, but perhaps someone would care to recommend me some noise-cancelling over-ear headphones?

I'm looking for something that cuts down on background noise as much as possible so I can appreciate the dynamics in my music without deafening myself when I'm riding on transit or out in the city. I'd also like something as durable as possible; I'll be out and about with these most days and I don't want to have to buy a new pair after a few months. Noise-cancelling and durability are my top priorities, but of course I'd still like something comfortable to wear, inexpensive if possible, etc. 

Any suggestions?
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:20
^ What do you consider expensive?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:23
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ What do you consider expensive?

I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible, but I'd be willing to spend more if it meant significantly better longevity. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:38
^ That's a reasonable range then (unlike a guy who recently asked me for a recommendation but didn't want to spend more than 30€ LOL). Did you read the previous pages? There are some great advices already. If not, I guess your fellow countryman Nick, up here, can provide you a better anwser Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 08:11
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-440-professional-studio-headphones
I'm very happy with these.....they are only about $100....they sound good and are durable.
You can spend some major money on headphones but for the price these are damn good.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 08:31
The <30€ guy should try Superlux.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 08:52
^ Never heard of that brand before, good to know. They seem good on paper, for their price.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 08:54
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

This thread is a little old, but perhaps someone would care to recommend me some noise-cancelling over-ear headphones?

I'm looking for something that cuts down on background noise as much as possible so I can appreciate the dynamics in my music without deafening myself when I'm riding on transit or out in the city. I'd also like something as durable as possible; I'll be out and about with these most days and I don't want to have to buy a new pair after a few months. Noise-cancelling and durability are my top priorities, but of course I'd still like something comfortable to wear, inexpensive if possible, etc. 

Any suggestions?
Tricky. Noise cancellation adds weight, complication and extra expense. If the noise cancellation is passive (like a pair of industrial-strength ear-defenders with built-in speakers) then the extra padding is going to add bulk and weight to the detriment of comfort and will affect the performance of the headphones as they are now essentially sealed volume chambers. Conversely if the noise cancellation is active then they will require electronics and batteries to make them work, which also adds bulk and weight. The other potential down-side of active noise-cancellation is that it colours the audio you are listening to since the active noise cancellation adds anti-sound to the audio source which from a fidelity point of view can only be to the detriment of what you are listening to. Here you pay your money and you make your choice - the technology in Bose headphones is very good but they are out of your price-range, and the audio performance of Bose (with or without noise-cancellation) isn't to everyone's liking anyway. And that highlights the third (or is it fourth) problem with noise-cancelling headphones - the additional expense of having two microphones, some clever electronics and a built-in stereo amplifier means that for $200 you are not going to get a pair of headphones that are as good as a pair of non-cancelling headphones (either sonically or in build-quality).

There is a side-affect of active noise-cancellation that you seldom hear about (unintentional pun) and that is they can be disconcerting and can even imperceptibly affect your balance. This is most noticeable during silences in what you are listening to and it can be quite unnerving if you are especially susceptible or sensitive to it. 

Also if you don't get on with fully enclosed headphones anyway then active noise-cancellers are probably not for you either (even the open ones) however, just spending your $200 cash on a good quality pair of non-cancelling enclosed headphones and playing some immersive and engrossing Prog may be enough for you to mentally block-out any extraneous noise anyway.

With all things audio - everything is subjective so the best advice is to go into a store and try some for yourself as how they sound to you is the only thing that is of any importance.

Edited by Dean - August 02 2016 at 08:57
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 11:30
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Any suggestions?
Tricky. Noise cancellation adds weight, complication and extra expense. If the noise cancellation is passive (like a pair of industrial-strength ear-defenders with built-in speakers) then the extra padding is going to add bulk and weight to the detriment of comfort and will affect the performance of the headphones as they are now essentially sealed volume chambers. Conversely if the noise cancellation is active then they will require electronics and batteries to make them work, which also adds bulk and weight. The other potential down-side of active noise-cancellation is that it colours the audio you are listening to since the active noise cancellation adds anti-sound to the audio source which from a fidelity point of view can only be to the detriment of what you are listening to. Here you pay your money and you make your choice - the technology in Bose headphones is very good but they are out of your price-range, and the audio performance of Bose (with or without noise-cancellation) isn't to everyone's liking anyway. And that highlights the third (or is it fourth) problem with noise-cancelling headphones - the additional expense of having two microphones, some clever electronics and a built-in stereo amplifier means that for $200 you are not going to get a pair of headphones that are as good as a pair of non-cancelling headphones (either sonically or in build-quality).

There is a side-affect of active noise-cancellation that you seldom hear about (unintentional pun) and that is they can be disconcerting and can even imperceptibly affect your balance. This is most noticeable during silences in what you are listening to and it can be quite unnerving if you are especially susceptible or sensitive to it. 

Also if you don't get on with fully enclosed headphones anyway then active noise-cancellers are probably not for you either (even the open ones) however, just spending your $200 cash on a good quality pair of non-cancelling enclosed headphones and playing some immersive and engrossing Prog may be enough for you to mentally block-out any extraneous noise anyway.

With all things audio - everything is subjective so the best advice is to go into a store and try some for yourself as how they sound to you is the only thing that is of any importance.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far, you've all been a big help. Thumbs Up

I did go into the store earlier today and tried some pairs of Sennheiser and Bose headphones on. I didn't have any issues with comfort/weight/bulkiness, so I think that noise-cancelling would still be the way to go. I found that the Sennheiser ones had variable degrees of effectiveness as far as noise cancellation, with the Momentum ones being the best at getting rid of background noise, but the pair they had in the store made a hissing sound. My favourite pair that I tried was the Bose QC35, which I found had phenomenal sound quality and made my surroundings virtually silent. They were unfortunately above my budget, so I'm still looking around. 

In the meantime, any more advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 12:47
Kevin have you considered earphones? I'm using Shure SE215 for a few years now, they don't have noise cancelation but this type of ear buds just fits perfectly to your ear and I assure you when the music is playing you wouldn't hear if a bomb exploded next to you. I guess not everyone like this type of earphones, but I found them to be really comfortable, much better than headphones that cover the whole ear.

For a 100$ it is a great product, excellent sound quality really and it is a top brand. I think that any 200$ earphones by the leading companies would serve you right, but of course it would be great if you could try them on in the store to check out the sound differences, just like I did when I got mine.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 12:47
^ I've experience high white noise levels (hissing) on cheaper noise cancelling headphones, I suspect it's a function of the noise-cancelling electronics.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Kevin have you considered earphones? I'm using Shure SE215 for a few years now, they don't have noise cancelation but this type of ear buds just fits perfectly to your ear and I assure you when the music is playing you wouldn't hear if a bomb exploded next to you. I guess not everyone like this type of earphones, but I found them to be really comfortable, much better than headphones that cover the whole ear.

For a 100$ it is a great product, excellent sound quality really and it is a top brand. I think that any 200$ earphones by the leading companies would serve you right, but of course it would be great if you could try them on in the store to check out the sound differences, just like I did when I got mine.

I'm currently looking to replace the earbuds I have right now and am looking for over-ear headphones specifically because I find them more comfortable. Thanks for the recommendation, though!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 14:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Any suggestions?

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">There is a side-affect of active noise-cancellation that you seldom hear about (unintentional pun) and that is they can be disconcerting and can even imperceptibly affect your balance. This is most noticeable during silences in what you are listening to and it can be quite unnerving if you are especially susceptible or sensitive to it. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Also if you don't get on with fully enclosed headphones anyway then active noise-cancellers are probably not for you either (even the open ones) however, </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">just spending your $200 cash on a good quality pair of non-cancelling enclosed headphones and playing some immersive and engrossing Prog may be enough for you to mentally block-out any extraneous noise anyway.</span>

Nailed it, Dean. Now I don't have to say a damn thing due to your thorough response,

I would recommend noise isolating rather than Canceling in the over ear headphone category.
You get the better of both features in regards to sound quality and limiting ambient noise background.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 14:21

Any suggestions?

Would you care to spend around $425 CAN for a pair of headphones
That are built for the street and have an analog Amp built inside of them!!

Check out Blue-Mofi headphones. These suckers isolate noise very well
And provide an added volume boost to compensate for any dull amp that is built into your hand held player.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 15:33
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Any suggestions?

And provide an added volume boost to compensate for any dull amp that is built into your hand held player.

Those ones look like absolute bliss! Unfortunately they're a bit pricey for me at this point in time. 

I suppose that noise isolating headphones would do just fine as well if it means better sound quality/reliability within my budget. Are there any specific models that you would recommend?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 13:23
I think I've decided on getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 471's. I loved how comfortable they were and found them to have good noise isolation and sound quality for the price ($130 CAD). Is there anyone who owns some and can attest to their quality in day to day use? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 14:49

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Any suggestions?

Those ones look like absolute bliss! Unfortunately they're a bit pricey for me at this point in time. 

I suppose that noise isolating headphones would do just fine as well if it means better sound quality/reliability within my budget. Are there any specific models that you would recommend?

Yeah the Blue Mo-fi!!
Buddy, you want quality these days you gotta pay for it. I'm sorry to say that I am one corrupted dude cause I've spoiled my ears with some serious ear candy. My opinion, and it is just that, 200$ really doesn't get you a whole lot these days.
Maybe the bower & WILKENS P5 may be suitable for your listening needs and for what gear you are using.
I find the 200$ price bracket tricky.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>