Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you recommend me some headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 14:03
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone, I thought I'd update with my final decision. I ended up deciding on a pair of Sennheiser HD 461's, which I'm very happy with! 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 16:22
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone, I thought I'd update with my final decision. I ended up deciding on a pair of Sennheiser HD 461's, which I'm very happy with! 

Hey! Alright! You decided on something. Thats great man.

Now you may decide to invest in a decent DAP (digital audio player.) I'm not talking your phone or I pod, but look at FIIO, ASTELL&KERN, Sony and Ibasso.
These are great for travel and they have excellent amps/DAC's built inside them.
FIIO is the most affordable.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2017 at 14:37
Bit of a bump here but I didn't want to start a new thread just because I bought some new cans.
Here the other day I was struck by how good my new earbuds sound (Sony MDR-EX650AP) compared with just about anything I've owned before. Hell I have never been that interested in hi-fi as long as the music sounded good. Anyways it got me thinking about some real cans - like in over the ear. I remember listening to my neighbours' records with proper headphones on when I was a kid and the sound was truly aweinspiring. Not sure why I forgot that experience...but all of this had me looking for a pair of cheap entry-level cans.
Long story short: I ended purchasing the Sony MDR 7506. Yup I have no imagination whatsoever!
I just look forward to hearing my old favourites in a whole new way.

They're still en route so I haven't actually tried them yet but as more time passes by I'm starting to second guess my choice. AKG 240 perchance??

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 22 2017 at 14:39
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 02:11
Superlux 668B.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 03:09
I had a set of AKG k240 back in the 90's for multitrack monitoring and loved them. I seem to remember paying somewhere in the $150-200 range. I say a $60 tag on them now. Might just pick up a pair since my old ones got soaked in a post-move storage room flood..
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 04:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Bit of a bump here but I didn't want to start a new thread just because I bought some new cans.
Here the other day I was struck by how good my new earbuds sound (Sony MDR-EX650AP) compared with just about anything I've owned before. Hell I have never been that interested in hi-fi as long as the music sounded good. Anyways it got me thinking about some real cans - like in over the ear. I remember listening to my neighbours' records with proper headphones on when I was a kid and the sound was truly aweinspiring. Not sure why I forgot that experience...but all of this had me looking for a pair of cheap entry-level cans.
Long story short: I ended purchasing the Sony MDR 7506. Yup I have no imagination whatsoever!
I just look forward to hearing my old favourites in a whole new way.

They're still en route so I haven't actually tried them yet but as more time passes by I'm starting to second guess my choice. AKG 240 perchance??

The Sony is closed back, the AKG semi-open, so not really suitable for use in public places due to sound leakage - if that makes a difference.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:00
Yeah I read that but then again the Sonys aren't that portable either with their 3 m undetachable chord. Nah I'm merely looking for an entry level pair of cans that act as a sort of jack-of-all-trades. Whether it bleeds into the surrounding area doesn't worry me at all.
I was looking for something neutral to start out with. Hear the music as it was intended by the artist.
The reason I got interested in the AKGs (240, 240 mk ii, 270, 270 mkii) was because of an old audio guy I know who relegayed them as being far more of a 'musical' headphone...whatever that means.
I guess only my own ears can judge sufficiently. It's just fun to hear others chiming in on these discussions - hear how they hear what they hear.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:06
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Superlux 668B.

I'm inclined to get a pair of these just to check them out. According to the reviews I've read you're basically getting 300 dollar professional headphone sound for the price of 40 bucks.
Do you own a pair Vomps?

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:12
I recently (re)bought an AKG240, due to some cable damage - caused by some excessive head banging Big smile
sound is very good, price okay ...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:14
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I had a set of AKG k240 back in the 90's for multitrack monitoring and loved them. I seem to remember paying somewhere in the $150-200 range. I say a $60 tag on them now. Might just pick up a pair since my old ones got soaked in a post-move storage room flood..

Why not go up a notch a get the K702? It's just down to your sailor technique down on the docks.
Either way I've heard great things about the 702 from AKG fans. Sorta like pouring nougat down your earcanal.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:19
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

I recently (re)bought an AKG240, due to some cable damage - caused by some excessive head banging Big smile
sound is very good, price okay ...

That seems to be the prevailing consensus: wonderful sound for the money.
The only downside to them (and AKGs in general as I understand) is that a lot of folks into rock, funk, hip hop etc find them lacking in the bass department. (Maybe they're just used to beats by dre and can't handle a "normal" bass presence?)

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:25
^I additionally have a Soundcraft Stereo Mixer in use, and when listening via computer DFX Audio Enhancer.
a lot of possibilities to adjust the output

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:33
Ahh yeah I haven't quite gotten to the stage where I consider investing in an eq. Maybe I should.
That's kinda why I chose the sony pair. Seems pretty basic and are ready to go without too much hassle.

- Douglas Adams
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:53
^ I wouldn't compare the Superluxes to $300 headphones, but I prefer them to all of the $60-$100 ones I've had before (mostly Sennheisers).

The only minuses for me are that the treble can be quite harsh (especially without an amp of some kind, I wouldn't use them without one) and the build quality is obviously on the plasticky side.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 07:07
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
It's a brand new world for me. I've been reading about all this mumbojumbo for the past few weeks or so trying to get some footing in a world that appears to be as inherently subjective as musical tastes are...but there does seem to be some lessons one can pick up whilst perusing other folks' experiences with cans.

One irritating thing to point out: I have almost no way of trying out any of the headphones I'd like without having to spend 2 hours on a bus. Oh the joys of the danish countryside.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 09:45
] All I want to say is that I am happy to hear that you are making better strides to get the most out of your music. :)
Personally Dave, for a guy who loves his tunes as much as you do I'm kinda surprised you didn't do this sooner.
The smile on your face is gonna be huge for when you discover what sound sig really works for you. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 09:51
Also. I'm not gonna tell you what to buy because I know to do things right, cost is a necessary evil.
You are an extremely smart guy, Dave.
Have a great time doing some research. I know you'll find something great and understand that certain headphones need more attention than others. ;)

PM me If you ever want my help. :)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 02:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Why not go up a notch a get the K702? It's just down to your sailor technique down on the docks.
Either way I've heard great things about the 702 from AKG fans. Sorta like pouring nougat down your earcanal.

Bah! Waste of time! If you gonna bring it...then bring it!

Focal Utopia Reference High-Fidelity Circumaural Headphones

Price:$3,999.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:18

It occurs to me that the device pictured is not really touching much bone.

Edited by Tapfret - April 24 2017 at 12:20
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:24
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

G or I?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>