Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed70s Prog Drumming to Modern Ears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:29
I'd say Billy Cobham and to a lesser extent, Mitch Mitchell, were the pioneers that fueled the generations of jazz-influenced rock drummers.  They brought the fluidicity and chops of jazz drumming into the rock drumming lexicon.  Today's crop of drummers has merely built upon those influences while becoming even more technically proficient.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:57
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Rush has had far more mass popularity than any of the other prog bands we talk about

What? 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:22
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

There haven't been any real quantum leaps in drumming since the jazz days of Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich etc.

Hmmmm ... I would imagine that Bonzo and Moonie deserve some credit for helping make rock music more important, and the biggest proof of their work is that both those bands pretty much died when they left us. But it would be, along these lines tough to not include folks like Ginger Baker, who I don't consider a great drummer, because the music itself is very conventional compared to the stuff that the other folks did.

Sadly, there are, and there were, a halacious number of drummers involved in music that were far more musically attuned that we will never give them credit for ... and right off the bat, someone like Pierre Moerlin comes to mind, and so does Manni Neumeier whose drumming feats are insane and one of the most courageous free form drummer ever ... that doesn't get stuck to the metronome ... which is what most drummers in rock music all do!

But we're forgetting some insane drummers ... Airto was, and still is, fabulous, and there have been way too many to mention here ... which unffortunately, few people know, or will ever give an ear to.

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Peart's drumming still sounds as good today as it was back then. It isn't and has never been among the best of rock drumming. ...

I am not sure if Neal's drumming is as good as the music around him was ... which of course he was a part of putting it together. The same/similar thing happened with Carl Palmer, where the music was highly expressive and the tone was about the theatricality of the music itself, rather than "the drumming" or the "anything" else. At issue here, and I don't think Gavin (for example) is a bad drummer at all, but in general, comparing him, or the turkey that used to be in DT to any of these master musicians, is a bit hard ... specially when most of these folks are way too metronome oriented to be discussing "music" ... unless we make the call that rock music is the music for the next 500 years and that metronomic music is the only thing you will ever hear and ... classical music is dead and gone.

All in all, I like this discussion, but it will run into things that are a serious issue with the discussion of "music" and its "history", for which the definition of "progressive music" is making a serious attempt to ignore history (specially!) in order to make its own mark. Unffortunately, the only thing that we're doing here is discussing FAVORITES that we like, because if you were discussing music, you would have already compared many of those folks you mentioned to hundreds, and yes ... thousands of other drummers out there in many other cultures that also deserve the credit but never will because of the Hollywood style of discussion here on the top ten.

But yeah ... very good topic and worth the discussion with the usual issue that most folks are not as well heard in other disciplines and most people that like Peart have not given themselves a serious listen to many other styles and abilities and musics in order to make what I would imagine should be considered a "fair appraisal".

In my book, there are 4 massive drummers in the history of rock music ... and the rest are simply fan favorites hoping to make a dent somewhere ... and when you reply to this sentence in anger you will know exactly what you are standing up for.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:38
when talking about drummers, we must not forget Mr. Vander !
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:40
I like spice of life variety.  And the 70's had it in spades.   Where are the melodic drummers like Bruford today? Where are the off beat drummers,  that could play a drum fill like Bonham? So unexpected, but better than anything I could imagine, given 30 years.    Decades later,  I can still recall the rhythums, and drum fills these guys created and played.   Hell,  I love "Radar Love,"  especially for the memorable drum riffs.   The 70's had memorable music at every level.  From pop to prog.  
  I was talking music with a young man not long ago.   He was telling me how much better today's singers and drummers are.   He said,  " They just sing with more emotion and...",  then he stopped and pointed at my stereo and said, "  Like that guy's voice just doesn't cut it, and the drummer can't keep a steady beat."       I said, " OMG you just dissed Robert Plant and John Bonham!"   He seemed pleased that he had sent me into a gut busting belly laugh...  I said, "Ok, Dustin.   Think of two or three of your all time favorite new songs.   Pick one.   Can you hum it, or sing it for me?"    He replied, " Sure I can."   After 3 or 4 mumbled attempts,  I could see a puzzled look cross his face.   " I don't why I can't remember it just now.  Wierd.  "  was all he said.              I thought , " Ummm,  I could probably hum, or sing 1000 songs from the 60's and 70's.   Todays music is hard to remember."
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:59

Everyone needs to just listen to Zach Hill. Modern drummer, plays tight sometimes, but also has the ability to be loose as hell. He changes tempos, styles, time signatures, all effortlessly while throwing in as much sh*t as possible.

If you think that "all drumming has been done before" you need to check him out. His main influence is Christian Vander, but he takes it a few steps farther. Most drummers aren't even in good enough shape to play what he plays.

Everyone that says that "the old stuff is always better" are a bunch of nostalgic w**ks. There were musical geniuses in the 50s, 60s, and the 70s, and there are musical geniuses now. There always will be.

Are we to say that Franz Liszt was not a good composer just because Mozart did something similar before him? Everyone borrows from everyone whether its consciously or subconsciously. Instead of arguing who is better or what era had better drummers, why can't we realize that these drummers are ALL f**king amazing. Buddy Rich amazed us all, but are you saying to me that if Buddy Rich saw Portnoy playing he wouldn't be impressed?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:02
And if you think you can't find "variety" in modern music just try Perhaps Contraption, Asillimaav (spelling?) Vasarat, Don Cab, Volta- sh*t, you can even find variety in underground hip-hop like BusDriver.

But omphaloskepis, that kid you were talking to sounds like an idiot.
Stevo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:07
I think the drum and guitar work of yesterday still show well against today's.  What has changed is musical taste.  I think Collin's work on Selling is some of the best ever , but that light and loose style doesn't seem to be in favor any more. While he could play it heavy too, as on Fripp's Exposure album, or certain BrandX pieces,  its the Genesis stuff that stands out for me.  Giles playing on ITCOCK is similar in my estimation. Speed and power seems to be the preference today.  Same for guitars. 
On the surface, the guitar players today seems to have come a long way with the likes of Satriani, Petrucci, Malmsteen and a host of other shredders, but are any of them as versatile and musical as Howe?  Its a taste difference more than a skillset difference.

Edited by Stevo - February 22 2012 at 12:09
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:15
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Everyone needs to just listen to Zach Hill. Modern drummer, plays tight sometimes, but also has the ability to be loose as hell. He changes tempos, styles, time signatures, all effortlessly while throwing in as much sh*t as possible.

If you think that "all drumming has been done before" you need to check him out. His main influence is Christian Vander, but he takes it a few steps farther. Most drummers aren't even in good enough shape to play what he plays.

Zach Hill is terrific, but this thread is about 70s drummers. Doesn't mean there aren't great guys post-70s. Most of my favorite music is from the 2000s I think. No need to get mad, nobody's getting nostalgic, at least in this thread. When things tend to get all "70s was better blahhhhhhhhhhh" I tend to get a bit pissy myself...
There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I like spice of life variety.  And the 70's had it in spades.   Where are the melodic drummers like Bruford today? Where are the off beat drummers,  that could play a drum fill like Bonham? So unexpected, but better than anything I could imagine, given 30 years.    Decades later,  I can still recall the rhythums, and drum fills these guys created and played.   Hell,  I love "Radar Love,"  especially for the memorable drum riffs.   The 70's had memorable music at every level.  From pop to prog.  
  I was talking music with a young man not long ago.   He was telling me how much better today's singers and drummers are.   He said,  " They just sing with more emotion and...",  then he stopped and pointed at my stereo and said, "  Like that guy's voice just doesn't cut it, and the drummer can't keep a steady beat."       I said, " OMG you just dissed Robert Plant and John Bonham!"   He seemed pleased that he had sent me into a gut busting belly laugh...  I said, "Ok, Dustin.   Think of two or three of your all time favorite new songs.   Pick one.   Can you hum it, or sing it for me?"    He replied, " Sure I can."   After 3 or 4 mumbled attempts,  I could see a puzzled look cross his face.   " I don't why I can't remember it just now.  Wierd.  "  was all he said.              I thought , " Ummm,  I could probably hum, or sing 1000 songs from the 60's and 70's.   Todays music is hard to remember."

and then I read your post. Music is just as good now. Stop being annoying.
There be dragons
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by Stevo Stevo wrote:

I think the drum and guitar work of yesterday still show well against today's.  What has changed is musical taste.  I think Collin's work on Selling is some of the best ever , but that light and loose style doesn't seem to be in favor any more. While he could play it heavy too, as on Fripp's Exposure album, or certain BrandX pieces,  its the Genesis stuff that stands out for me.  Giles playing on ITCOCK is similar in my estimation. Speed and power seems to be the preference today.  Same for guitars. 
On the surface, the guitar players today seems to have come a long way with the likes of Satriani, Petrucci, Malmsteen and a host of other shredders, but are any of them as versatile and musical as Howe?  Its a taste difference more than a skillset difference.

Most of that hardness, heaviness, tightness or whatever else you want to call it, has more to do with the amount of compression used in modern drum recording and nothing about how hard the drums are being hit compared to how they were hit back in the 70s.  The compression is why modern drum recordings sound thumping and every whack of the snare drum is consistently hard.  Also, many modern recordings, especially with double kick drums, substitute the mic'd kicks for samples since most drummers cannot play double-kicks consistenly enough.  The trade-off for all that compression is that a lot of subtley is sacrificed.   Collins, Bruford, Weathers etc would sound just as heavy as Portnoy or Harrison if they were recorded using modern recording techniques.

Edited by spknoevl - February 22 2012 at 12:31
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:31
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

when talking about drummers, we must not forget Mr. Vander !

Yep .. and I forgot him ... now I feel like a total turkey. Yeah ... 5 drummers now ... because Christian is on a class all his own that defies description ... but I am not sure that we're going to get a "Rush fan" to actually listen to Magma ... that would be scandalous, I imagine!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:37
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

All I know is know from what I've heard of classic prog is nothing comes close to the drumming by Mike Portnoy on Train of Thought

Portnoy is overrated, and that song is boring.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:01
Your right.  Some of today's music is fantastic.  I purchased over 40 albums from 2011,  thanks to progarchives.   Opeth, Dream Theater, Unexpect, Sean Filkins, Discipline, Mastodon, Steven Wilson, Anubis, Airbag, and many other artists put out great albums in 2011, which I am now proud to own and enjoy.   It's just damn hard to sift through all the manure to find a prize pony of an album.  Hell, 2011 was banner year for progressive music.   And yes there is variety.   The two Unexpect albums I have blown me away,  the same way Sleepytime Gorilla Museum leaves me in awe.   It was just so easy back in the 70's.   I was a 12 year old listening to Yes, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Genesis, Gentle Giant, and Frank Zappa.  It seems like an amazing album came out every other week.  And it was easy to find.  Without a site like Progarchives ...I would be drilling dry well, after dry well.  And yes the young man who dissed Zeppelin was an idiot son, of a friend,  of a woman who works with my wife.   Maybe it's just me?  I still think today's music is not as memorable  as the musical output from the previous 400 years.   Just my opinion.  That and a quarter will get ya..... 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:03
Originally posted by Stevo Stevo wrote:

The guitar is actually much more appreciated within the concept of "music" since it is a bonafide valid instrument although 400 years ago it was always accoustic ... and for my own bit on history of music, I really believe that after all is said and done, rock'n'roll will not be important but the great gift of an instrument for the 20th century will not be the synthsizer ... but the electric guitar !!!  Synths are on the poop list because now they are only used as a replacement for people ... and no one from you to me and everyone else, wants to be replaced! On top of it, most players these days proclaiming to be doing "prog" are not using the synths as an instrument ... again, they are replacing other parts of an orchestra.

Now ... back to the drums ... interesting point on Bonzo and Plant. I actually always thought that Bonzo was the reason why Plant did not want to do Zeppelin again ... because he probably already knew that the number of drummers that could play around with his voice and vocal bits and pieces could only be numbered in one finger! ... and a really good drummer would not just stick to the "timing" because the voacl thing that Robert did on any bootleg out there was massive and different each night ... and only a drummer with real EARS would be good enough to support Robert, instead of a drummer that only knows a metronome and is not listening to the players ... only his meter! Now you also know why Led Zeppelin was one of the most important live act at the time and why those bootlegs were such precious gems ... the energy and the little things were awesome ... and worth having!

Edited by moshkito - February 22 2012 at 13:11
www.pedrosena.com
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:42
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

All I know is know from what I've heard of classic prog is nothing comes close to the drumming by Mike Portnoy on Train of Thought

Portnoy is overrated, and that song is boring.

There is no Dream Theater song called "Train of Thought" bro.

Wink
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:57
Bah, read Stream of Consciousness for some reason. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:07
^Well that can't be right. That's not boring.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:10
I think so.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:12
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Your right.  Some of today's music is fantastic.  I purchased over 40 albums from 2011,  thanks to progarchives.   Opeth, Dream Theater, Unexpect, Sean Filkins, Discipline, Mastodon, Steven Wilson, Anubis, Airbag, and many other artists put out great albums in 2011, which I am now proud to own and enjoy.   It's just damn hard to sift through all the manure to find a prize pony of an album.  Hell, 2011 was banner year for progressive music.   And yes there is variety.   The two Unexpect albums I have blown me away,  the same way Sleepytime Gorilla Museum leaves me in awe.   It was just so easy back in the 70's.   I was a 12 year old listening to Yes, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Genesis, Gentle Giant, and Frank Zappa.  It seems like an amazing album came out every other week.  And it was easy to find.  Without a site like Progarchives ...I would be drilling dry well, after dry well.  And yes the young man who dissed Zeppelin was an idiot son, of a friend,  of a woman who works with my wife.   Maybe it's just me?  I still think today's music is not as memorable  as the musical output from the previous 400 years.   Just my opinion.  That and a quarter will get ya..... 

Well as I'm sure will all know there was plenty of crap to sift through back then. While I'm sure the amount of artists today certainly has increased by a hell of a lot, well I think it's a ratio of crap to good stuff it sorta stays the same, there's plenty more crap, there's plenty more good stuff. I don't mind you find music more memorable back then (though I think memorability is a trait albums can get with time as they also reach that "classic" status), but I just really don't see how we can say objectively or subjectively that music has changed in quality, just because we are living in a different decade. I just see it as silly.
There be dragons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>