Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEpignosis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 16:49
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> The music is damn good and really progressive. Nice effort but I don't really like the vocals. It's a personal taste it doesn't mean the vocals are ungood. I don't like the bass in this album too for I can feel some mistakes with the bass playing wich isn't terrible.

Splendid job though! Hope you continue your efforts and bring some good progressive rock to our hears!
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:12
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> The music is damn good and really progressive. Nice effort but I don't really like the vocals. It's a personal taste it doesn't mean the vocals are ungood. I don't like the bass in this album too for I can feel some mistakes with the bass playing wich isn't terrible.

Splendid job though! Hope you continue your efforts and bring some good progressive rock to our hears!

Thanks for checking it out!

Unfortunately I had to sell one of my bass guitars to pay bills, and the climate of NC is very different from FL, so that affected the neck of my other bass.  However, I don't spend much time practicing bass as I do the other instruments.

I'm working on a third album and three other projects.  Smile
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:44
Wow dude this is solid! I reallllllly enjoy your shorter solos that come between some parts, especially the flute/possibly keyboard sounding one early on in the title track. Pretty stuff. I'm enjoying your choices of harmonies and strange chords at times. Makes it all sound pretty dreamy. Do you play keys? Some of your keyboard work is righteous.

While I love your harmonies and melodies I think the vocals are a little loud but that's just me- I like quiet vocals haha- This music is surprisingly uplifting as opposed to your avatar picture haha. I'm normally into more hectic confusing music but there are moments of complexity that hit home for me. Some of it was predictable but all in all I enjoyed listening to it. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Smurph - May 30 2012 at 17:47
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 18:13
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Wow dude this is solid! I reallllllly enjoy your shorter solos that come between some parts, especially the flute/possibly keyboard sounding one early on in the title track. Pretty stuff. I'm enjoying your choices of harmonies and strange chords at times. Makes it all sound pretty dreamy. Do you play keys? Some of your keyboard work is righteous.

While I love your harmonies and melodies I think the vocals are a little loud but that's just me- I like quiet vocals haha- This music is surprisingly uplifting as opposed to your avatar picture haha. I'm normally into more hectic confusing music but there are moments of complexity that hit home for me. Some of it was predictable but all in all I enjoyed listening to it. Thanks for sharing!

I just saw this post- sorry!

The "flute" sound early on in the title track that you hear is a synthesizer that (I think) I ran through a few effects.

I do play keyboards, but my main instrument has always been and always will be guitar.  Most of the music I write is on the guitar first (usually the acoustic).  The next album is odd for me because several of the songs are piano or organ focused.

Thanks so much for your comments.  Smile

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 22:01
Any news on TOGR?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 10:08
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Any news on TOGR?

I don't know if I've mentioned this already, but there will be eight songs, three of which contain music that is a decade old.  Glad to see these pieces are finding a home.  I have a lot of old material, but of course not all of it ages well.  I think these have.

I think this will be a more eclectic symphonic album, and somewhat "darker" than the previous one.

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 13:39
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Any news on TOGR?

I don't know if I've mentioned this already, but there will be eight songs, three of which contain music that is a decade old.  Glad to see these pieces are finding a home.  I have a lot of old material, but of course not all of it ages well.  I think these have.

I think this will be a more eclectic symphonic album, and somewhat "darker" than the previous one.

So basically an album with 8 "Riddles in the Dark?" Wink  This makes me happy, I like dark music.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 14:27
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Any news on TOGR?

So basically an album with 8 "Riddles in the Dark?" Wink  This makes me happy, I like dark music.

Mostly I meant darker lyrically.  LOL

However, there is one song that goes beyond the heavy factor of "Riddles in the Dark-" rather metal I must say.  Evil Smile

Wow, it just occurred to me that this "metal" song contains a riff that I wrote in my bedroom when I was 17 years old.  Shocked

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 14:37

Any news on TOGR?

However, there is one song that goes beyond the heavy factor of "Riddles in the Dark-" rather metal I must say.  Evil Smile

Wow, it just occurred to me that this "metal" song contains a riff that I wrote in my bedroom when I was 17 years old.  Shocked

Teenage angst Headbanger
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 14:53

Any news on TOGR?

Teenage angst Headbanger

OK, that sounds familiar LOL Although I do my heaviest stuff on keys.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 15:29

Any news on TOGR?

As a 17 year old who has written many riffs in his bedroom, I am definitely excited to hear what you've come up with. LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 17:27
Sometimes you need something to fall into your lap and kick you in the bottom.  For reasons I won't enumerate, I've been in stuck in a general malaise with respect to recording anything.  Believe me, I've tried, but the ambition has been absent for the past year or more.  I have spent the last several months improving my skills with the guitar ("Hey Rob, why didn't you spend them working on your vocals, har har!"), and today after work I picked up my little Squier I acquired for forty bones (great playing guitar), and I wrote a riff that tapped me on the shoulder and reminded me of the music I like to not just play, but record.  It also reintroduced me to the challenges of the songwriting and recording process, but also encouraged me to tackle them.  "You can make me sound great and give me a moving, musical context," the riff seemed to say. 

And sometimes you just need to post something on the Internet to make yourself work toward a goal.

So:

All eight tracks have music but few lyrics.  The album is projected to run about 48 minutes long (my shortest yet, I think).  Some track titles I can give you (other than the opening title track) are "Ianus" and "The Narrow House."  Many parts of the album are, as I've said before, almost a decade old or more.  It's feeling good to merge these private relics with fresh material.  And Tasha's vocal duties will increase.

I was in a craft store, and even though I am inept with nearly all visual mediums, I love looking at the paints, brushes, canvases, and objects, imagining the possibilities if only I had a modicum of skill.  But I decided the album cover would be my first try at making a mosaic.  And if I make something abysmal (as will probably happen), I'll just get Mrs. Tasha to do it.  I should probably save money on supplies by just letting her do it from the get go.  Ermm

The Christian encouragement of Refulgence will not be present on this third album.  The lyrics will explore various subjects and generally be darker.  This is not because I am "in a dark place," but merely because I want to visit other convictions.  I hope that doesn't put people off (I suppose some will welcome the difference), but if it does, well, there will be many albums released in 2013.

Oh, that's what I meant to add: I don't have a release date set, but let's push for March, okay?

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Epignosis - December 11 2012 at 17:28
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 17:32
AWWWWW YEA

Preorder campaign? Tongue
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 17:38

AWWWWW YEA

Preorder campaign? Tongue

I don't like to string people along.  I'm a notorious deadline-pusher-backer.

Maybe I shouldn't say that in case I need a ton of money to abscond to Mexico.  Ermm
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 18:41
Wishing you lots of luck and recording encouragement Rob....Smile

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 18:58
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wishing you lots of luck and recording encouragement Rob....Smile

You are among the greatest sources of encouragement I know.  Thanks.

Edited by Epignosis - December 12 2012 at 08:26
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 19:56
I'm happy that you've got "the bug" again.  Inspiration is a wonderful thing.  I hope it continues to go well for you.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 20:19
This makes me excited to hear new Epignosis material :o

And good luck, I hope it all comes together well.
 < id="bpm-invert">
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 21:58
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 22:25
Best of luck, inspiration and enjoyment on this, Robert! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>