Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeith Emerson suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 11:30
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I wouldn't suggest Brain Salad Surgery. It's a beginning of their downhill slope. They are some absolutely stunning moments, but not much piano.

Also, try some Nice: Hang On To a Dream is beautiful ,especially in live version.

Erm...BSS is the culmination of everything ELP aspired to from the outset and the entire 2nd Impression is sublime piano skulduggeryWink

Agreed however on the brilliant Hang on to a Dream live version on the (unjustly dismissed) Elegy from the Nice

2nd Impression? The sneaky jazz piano? It's brilliant.Thumbs Up

I love Brain Salad Surgery (I gave it 5 stars here), I just think each and every ELP's album is even better.Big smile

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I might catch some flak for this suggestion. If you can ignore the cheeeseland cover and title Love Beach has it's momments and is not as sh*t as everyone makes it out to be. I remember skipping school back in November '78 to wait at the record store to open at 9 o'clock in the morning . You have to remember Atlantic Records put them up to this simplified format and the cover and title wasn't their idea either. They weren't too thrilled with it and Emerson himself put the finishing touches on it.

There was Ccertainly a lot worse material to come in the future.

Hi Vibrationbaby, Smile

Trust me, nobody will give you any flak as long as you have that nasty guard dog leading in front of you (your avatar)..

And, I agree that the entire side of Memiors of an O.& G. is great.  The Greg Lake love tunes suck horribly though.
But Canario is kina fun and very ELPish...
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:38
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I wouldn't suggest Brain Salad Surgery. It's a beginning of their downhill slope. They are some absolutely stunning moments, but not much piano.
I love Brain Salad Surgery (I gave it 5 stars here), I just think each and every ELP's album is even better.Big smile

Hi clarke2001, Smile

I am so glad you clarified your original comment on Brain Salad Surgery, I was about to forget everyting I knew about being a gentleman(not much) and how to behave in nice little forums such as this one. Wink

Brain Salad Surgery is perhaps ELP at their finest and I could make a case(as I am a HUGE YES fan) that BSS may be the greatest progressive recording of all time.  Start to finish, that record is beyond belief.  It is the only record I can think of at the moment that I could consider in the same conversation of some of the great classical pieces of music.

Karn Evil 9 1st Impression, maybe by itself makes this argument.

Wow, you really freaked me out dude.

Cheers!
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:05
If anybody is into Emerson they should definitely check out the Dutch bands Trace or Ekseption and others. ELP started the trio concept but there were other " Copy cat " bandsthat developed their ownvoices with the ELP-like  keyboard(bass/drums configuration.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:32
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

If anybody is into Emerson they should definitely check out the Dutch bands Trace or Ekseption and others. ELP started the trio concept but there were other " Copy cat " bandsthat developed their ownvoices with the ELP-like  keyboard(bass/drums configuration.

going off topic somewhat but I would nominate UK - Danger Money as the best album ELP never made. Love Beach was just a tad weedy by comparisonLOL
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 15:26
Yeah, Karn Evil 9 is masterpiece. I'm not familiar with his solo work at all though. Brain Salad is probably their best album, but get Tarkus or Trilogy too. Trilogy is definitely the most consistent

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - February 29 2012 at 15:27
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 15:31
I gave Love beach 3 ½ weedy stars. If you don't believe me check.

I keep saying it wasn't their fault if they hadn't been hauled into whe executive offices and told to do something more radio friendly  I'm sur the result would have been quite different. They still had some juice left in them. They went on that disasterous tour with all those. semis and the orchestra. Hell, they wanted the aliens to know who they were.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 14:37
Brain Salad Surgery of course. Also Trilogy's The Endless Enigma contains some fantastic piano sections.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 03:10
Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

Trilogy's The Endless Enigma contains some fantastic piano sections.
the opening section of Endless Enigma is one of the most interesting things ELP ever did
Fugue is probably Emerson's best piano peice.Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 03:39
Stumbled across this on youtube. Excerpt from a German programme (no transalation) but appears that Emerson has re-recorded his Piano Concerto with a German orchestra (or maybe just a one off performance). Would like to know more about this

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 07:56
Almost makes we want to drink beer.  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 09:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Stumbled across this on youtube. Excerpt from a German programme (no transalation) but appears that Emerson has re-recorded his Piano Concerto with a German orchestra

Hi richardh,

Thanks so much for sharing this, it would be great to get a better recording of his concerto for sure.
There have been so few updates after Keith's surgery. I went to his facebook page, and not much out of him.  His website has only very old info...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 13:25
I was waiting for one my buds on here to go first but dammit I'm gonna do it:
Jürgen Fritz
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12