Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 04:04
My feelings on the Time of The Dr finale is that it did well to wrap up many unanswered questions and really wrapped up Smith's era well to pave the way for the grand entrance of Peter Capaldi. He looks rather resplendent in his new costume too..

Not sure how he will go in his first season but so glad Coleman remains as she is perhaps the most enigmatic companion since Zoe.

I grew to like the Smith era of Who after a shaky start to his seasons. He was magnificent in the last 3 eps of his final season, and I love how he appeared in Adventures in Space and Time

I have been watching lots of Who lately, saw Planet of Giants today, and yesterday watched day of Dr, Time of Dr and Hide in one sitting.

My kids are now into and its my fault. hahaa

We are all Whovians in this house
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 19:37
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It seems most people didn't care for it, but I liked it. I might even go so far as call it my favorite Christmas episode. That said...I do wish it was longer to accommodate all the story more fully. Shame to see Matt go as well...but so it goes in the life of the Doctor.

I liked it as well too. A bit jarring to see Matt Smith suddenly become a very angry-seeming Peter Capaldi with his most intimidating glare. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 18:14
It seems most people didn't care for it, but I liked it. I might even go so far as call it my favorite Christmas episode. That said...I do wish it was longer to accommodate all the story more fully. Shame to see Matt go as well...but so it goes in the life of the Doctor.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 17:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

It wasn't clear to me if he got just one additional regeneration or a whole new set of twelve.  I thought it was the latter.
It was pretty clear to me: "Ha! It's started - I can't stop it now, this is just the reset, a whole new regeneration cycle" ... in previous uses of the phrase regeneration cycle that has referred to the 12-regenerations.
So I did hear that!  (I don't always trust my memory.)Wink

So are we good for another fifty years of Doctor Who?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 17:11
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

It wasn't clear to me if he got just one additional regeneration or a whole new set of twelve.  I thought it was the latter.
It was pretty clear to me: "Ha! It's started - I can't stop it now, this is just the reset, a whole new regeneration cycle" ... in previous uses of the phrase regeneration cycle that has referred to the 12-regenerations.
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:50
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 12:57
I agree. It wasn't my favourite explanation, but I was left satisfied nonetheless. The episode itself was very uneven. 
Bigger on the inside.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 11:00
It's a children's television programme, not Shakespeare.  The shows producers painted themselves into a corner with the 12 regenerations plot device in the mid-70s as part of a story line featuring the Master, as no one at the time expected the series to last this long, it was never seen as a problem. However any solution was always going to be a cop-out no matter what it was. 
What?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 10:35
WARNING - POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW! :

Despite a touching final scene, Smith's final episode was quite a mess. Far too many little details and unresolved storylines crammed into too short a running time.

And as for the banished Time Lords in the other dimension sending the Doctor essentially a `bonus' regeneration' through the crack....what a total cop-out!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 10:21
Any thoughts by all the Dr Who fans on the death and regeneration episode of Matt Smith...?
I was a little disappointed in the episode.
Unhappy
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 14:07
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Great episode. Wasn't much convinced by the Elizabethan sub-plot, but the rest was magic.

I agree...I didn't really care for the actress whio played Elizabeth nor that sub plot.
And I was disappointed in the Tom Baker appearance at the end;  it simply didn't feel right and seemed totally gratuitous to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 09:09
The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot was entertaining and mostly amusing. I liked the Sean Pertwee and Olivia  "... I'm usually in everything" Coleman scene, one day the producers will put Sean in an episode.

An Adventure in Space and Time was good, though the characterisations weren't that accurate, nice to see 'Delia Derbyshire' make an appearance.
What?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 07:46
Anyone seen the other stuff put out for the Anniversary? I really enjoyed the movie "An Adventure in Space and Time" and the short "The Five(ish) Doctor Reboot" - probably enjoyed both more than the Anniversary episode itself.
Bigger on the inside.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 10:59
That's proggier than Hawkwind. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 10:31
I wasn't denying she had an alcohol issue.  Just the way they portrayed her as being on her own when she had her partner living with her.  She was still reclusive though of course.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 09:43
Originally posted by VanderGraafKommandöh VanderGraafKommandöh wrote:

That was good.  I listened to it twice last week.  Although was Delia really that excitable by the simplest of things? Although I think it was nervous excitement in reality.

She really did sound like that (except the slurring perhaps), as this Radio Scotland Radio Interview shows:

...It seems like 90% of the dialogue in the radio play comes from this one interview.

Originally posted by VanderGraafKommandöh VanderGraafKommandöh wrote:

Although that radio play never mentioned that she lived with a guy from 1981 until her death.  It made her sound like she was a lonely lady with an alcohol issue.
I suspect the alcohol did contribute to kidney failure that killed her.
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 08:09
That was good.  I listened to it twice last week.  Although was Delia really that excitable by the simplest of things? Although I think it was nervous excitement in reality.

Although that radio play never mentioned that she lived with a guy from 1981 until her death.  It made her sound like she was a lonely lady with an alcohol issue.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 14:28
THis is great. Play about Delia Derbyshire.  Sorry if you can't listen BBC Radio.

Help me I'm falling!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 13:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I watched The Day of the Doctor twice on TV yesterday (EDIT: or actually that was the day before), plus lots of other great Doctor Who stuff.  John Hurt was the star of it to my mind, and I am a big fan of his as well as Doctor Who, so great choice for me.  My main problem with it was that I think they should have done a two hour special (for me Doctor Who has generally worked best with a longer format). Was nice to see Tom Baker at the end (I did expect to see him as he is the most iconic of Doctors, but not exactly sure how that worked with him being the curator -- being much older-looking than when he regenerated, so is he the Doctor? I assume so). I actually like Matt Smith a lot.  I didn't like the Star Wars-like parts that much, and I think it would have been much cooler if we'd seen lots of Gallifreyans regenerating during the attack, and that energy release destroying some Daleks.  I knew that Gallifrey would not be destroyed since we knew  that it continued to exist from earlier series.  I liked much of the comedy, but I would have rather had more pathos and rather less bathos.  Still, despite having the excellent John Hurt, it was not my very favourite  of the Smith years ( that would be Day of the Moon/ The Impossible Astronaut).
The Tom Baker scene shows why they couldn't have had any of the older Doctor-actors making guest appearances with the exception of Ecclescake (who I believe refused to play the Doctor again) and McGann (who appeared in the mini-episode that showed his regeneration into Hurt as the War Doctor). The Doctor Who writers are very good at darning plot holes and side-stepping paradoxes so I liked the ambiguity of the curator scene, and I liked how it was subtly played by both Smith and Baker

On a side note, I'm not sure that all Gallifreyans could regenerate, not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords for example, Rassilon created the TARDIS tech and altered Time Lord cell structure, this does not imply he did it for all Gallifreyans.

Agreed.  I also liked the ambiguity of the Tom Baker scene.  I don't assume that all Gallifreyans can regenerate either, but seeing a bunch of them (Time Lord, and Time Lady to use that term, Gallifreyans) regenerating would have made for entertaining spectacle.  Perhaps the "Lady Time Lords" could have done a Romana in their regenerations  for comedic effect. ;)

Edited by Logan - November 25 2013 at 13:57
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 13:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I watched The Day of the Doctor twice on TV yesterday (EDIT: or actually that was the day before), plus lots of other great Doctor Who stuff.  John Hurt was the star of it to my mind, and I am a big fan of his as well as Doctor Who, so great choice for me.  My main problem with it was that I think they should have done a two hour special (for me Doctor Who has generally worked best with a longer format). Was nice to see Tom Baker at the end (I did expect to see him as he is the most iconic of Doctors, but not exactly sure how that worked with him being the curator -- being much older-looking than when he regenerated, so is he the Doctor? I assume so). I actually like Matt Smith a lot.  I didn't like the Star Wars-like parts that much, and I think it would have been much cooler if we'd seen lots of Gallifreyans regenerating during the attack, and that energy release destroying some Daleks.  I knew that Gallifrey would not be destroyed since we knew  that it continued to exist from earlier series.  I liked much of the comedy, but I would have rather had more pathos and rather less bathos.  Still, despite having the excellent John Hurt, it was not my very favourite  of the Smith years ( that would be Day of the Moon/ The Impossible Astronaut).
The Tom Baker scene shows why they couldn't have had any of the older Doctor-actors making guest appearances with the exception of Ecclescake (who I believe refused to play the Doctor again) and McGann (who appeared in the mini-episode that showed his regeneration into Hurt as the War Doctor). The Doctor Who writers are very good at darning plot holes and side-stepping paradoxes so I liked the ambiguity of the curator scene, and I liked how it was subtly played by both Smith and Baker

On a side note, I'm not sure that all Gallifreyans could regenerate, not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords for example, Rassilon created the TARDIS tech and altered Time Lord cell structure, this does not imply he did it for all Gallifreyans.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>