Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs that ruined otherwise perfect albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 17:35
All the ones on Screaming For Vengeance were pretty good, though your mileage may vary
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 18:07
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Originally posted by ProgEpics ProgEpics wrote:

Meddle - echoes..just kidding. Seamus

Good thing "One of These Days", "A Pillow Of Winds", "Fearless", "San Tropez" and "Echoes" constitutes about 95 percent of the record, so it doesn't ruin it that much.

Anyhoo...

"Here Come The Tears"  - Sin After Sin
"Before The Dawn" - Hellbent For Leather

Both by Judas Priest, BTW. I only have four of their albums (the above two, plus Sad Wings Of Destiny and Stained Class), and it's enough for me to conclude that power ballads aren't their forte, or at least, for every good ballad they did ("Epitaph", "Last Rose of Summer", "Beyond The Realms Of Death"), they'd do a bad one.

Here Come The Tears  is  bloody epic!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 21:06
What was PF thinking when they put "Seamus" on MEDDLE?

And as much as I love the best songs on SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND, I've always been of the opinion that "The Battle of Epping Forest" really marred what could have been one of the very greatest albums ever made. "More Fool Me" is kind of forgivable because it's so short, but "Epping Forest" just goes on forever, with none of the magic that the other tunes convey.

I wouldn't go so far to say that "Electioneering" ruins OK COMPUTER, but I do wish it wasn't on the album.

This is not a "prog" album, but Burial's first album was brought down a bit by "Spaceape," which just sounds out of place, and belonging on a Kode9 rather than Burial CD.

I'll second "Hats Off to Roy Harper" and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast." Both have great titles, with nothing else to recommend them, IMO.

I never liked the "One More Kiss, Dear" track on the official BLADE RUNNER release. I don't think it ruins it, per se - mainly because in my opinion none of the official versions are definitive. (I prefer the Esper ROIO version, although that's not definitive either. I don't think there can ever be a truly definitive version of BLADE RUNNER. And I love that about it.)

Edited by jude111 - March 30 2012 at 21:45
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 21:12
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

And as much as I love the best songs on SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND, I've always been of the opinion that "The Battle of Epping Forest" really marred what could have been one of the very greatest albums ever made.

Ha-a-a-a-a! Shocked Confused . How ... ? Dead
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 21:18
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

And as much as I love the best songs on SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND, I've always been of the opinion that "The Battle of Epping Forest" really marred what could have been one of the very greatest albums ever made.

I almost chimed in with much the same opinion - that Epping Forest "ruins" Selling England.  But really, it doesn't.  It's my least favorite song on there, but really it just means it's a top 10 album now for me instead of a top 5.  

So what's wrong with it?  Not the first time I've been asked that.  It is quite linear and story-based, so it has relatively few strong musical themes to return to and drive the thing home.  Individual moments are great, but after 11 minutes I still find myself wondering how I got to the end.  No such problems with, say, Cinema Show or Firth of Fifth.  Both have clear structures that make the most of their song length with tension and release.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 01:56
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Originally posted by ProgEpics ProgEpics wrote:

Meddle - echoes..just kidding. Seamus

Good thing "One of These Days", "A Pillow Of Winds", "Fearless", "San Tropez" and "Echoes" constitutes about 95 percent of the record, so it doesn't ruin it that much.

Anyhoo...

"Here Come The Tears"  - Sin After Sin
"Before The Dawn" - Hellbent For Leather

Both by Judas Priest, BTW. I only have four of their albums (the above two, plus Sad Wings Of Destiny and Stained Class), and it's enough for me to conclude that power ballads aren't their forte, or at least, for every good ballad they did ("Epitaph", "Last Rose of Summer", "Beyond The Realms Of Death"), they'd do a bad one.

Please say you are kidding.  "Here Come the Tears" is great!  Haven't heard Hellbent in ages so can't comment on "Before the Dawn".
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 02:00
Listening to In the Last Waking Moments... (Edison's Children) today.  It's a bit early to call it a perfect album (though I think it will get there), but Pete's vocals on "Outerspaced" really jar me out of the album.  It really "harshes my mellow"!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 09:24
Cinderella Man on A Farewell To Kings - Rush. It's like the More Fool Me of A Farewell To Kings, my opinion of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 09:29
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I almost chimed in with much the same opinion - that Epping Forest "ruins" Selling England.  But really, it doesn't.  It's my least favorite song on there, but really it just means it's a top 10 album now for me instead of a top 5.  

So what's wrong with it?  Not the first time I've been asked that.  It is quite linear and story-based, so it has relatively few strong musical themes to return to and drive the thing home.  Individual moments are great, but after 11 minutes I still find myself wondering how I got to the end.  No such problems with, say, Cinema Show or Firth of Fifth.  Both have clear structures that make the most of their song length with tension and release.

I personally love Epping Forest. I almost like it better than Firth Of Firth. Stern Smile Cool Mike's bass playing and Tony' keyboards particularly shine on that song. Yeah, sure, Pete's vocals are a bit irritating in some parts due to the busy lyrics, but I love the story and it must have been hell to perform it live. Also, who doesn't love Steve's solo at the end!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 09:34
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Cinderella Man on A Farewell To Kings - Rush. It's like the More Fool Me of A Farewell To Kings, my opinion of course.

I always liked Cinderella Man. But even if you don't like it, it doesn't ruin the album. In fact there is not one song in existence that ruins an album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 09:52
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I always liked Cinderella Man. But even if you don't like it, it doesn't ruin the album. In fact there is not one song in existence that ruins an album.

LOL Alright Snow Dog, you've won. No, it certainly doesn't ruin the album, but it's definitely one of my least favourite Rush songs from their glory days. Heck, I even like Lakeside Park more.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 09:53

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

LOL Alright Snow Dog, you've won. No, it certainly doesn't ruin the album, but it's definitely one of my least favourite Rush songs from their glory days. Heck, I even like Lakeside Park more.

Yeah..I like Lakeside Park too. Not keen on In The Mood though.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 10:25
Battle of Epping Forest is one of my favorite tracks. I am shocked that certain people don't like it. Confused Another masterpiece on that album, IMO.

What I don't like is Illegal Alien on Genesis. Its the only track I've ever cut out of an album on my computer and MP3. When I recently reacquired Genesis I was listening when suddenly the Illegal Alien hit. I have to remember to remove it from the now playing list.
Cneo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 13:46
I would say the title track on Yes' "Going for the One". It always sounds like the theme from Roadhouse to me. And the classic "I Think I'm Going Bald" from Rush's Caress of Steel. Ugh.
dcc7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 13:49
Cans and Brahms and Bruford's less than one-minute effort on Fragile. Actually, the non-Steve Howe individual pieces seriously damaged the continuity of the album - although The Fish was quite good and became a staple of theirs live.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 13:53
The opening cut off Morte Macabre's Symphonic Holocaust makes it a 4.5 star album in stead of the masterpiece it should have been, but we're nitpicking here.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 13:59
Oh and forgive me for not scrolling through the past 12 pages, but Seamus must surely have been mentioned eh? 

EDIT: Alright it's been mentioned on this very same pageEmbarrassed It's Saturday ok...?

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 31 2012 at 14:01
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 14:14
What is wrong with a bit of Seamus now and then? I always liked it. It's got a dog howling...what's not to like?LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 14:18
^There's nothing wrong with it per se, but it just doesn't inspire greatness and that same floating vibe as the rest of the album. It's rather like putting sand in your suntan oil. Plus I much prefer Mademoiselle Nobs from Live at Pompeii - great retriever soloBig smile

- Douglas Adams
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 17:22

Wouldn't that be Madrigal? Then again, I like all three of those songs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>