Thinking Plague are looking for help funding their next album via kickstarter

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 16:42
Thanks for the review!  I LOVE this band.  In This Life is definitely my favorite TP album.  The new one rules.
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
kingcrimsonfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 13:08
Can't wait for the new album, the lyrical content sounds awesome as well as the instrumental portion. the themes in the lyrics are much needed for today's world in which corruption rules. Keep on avanting it thinking plague and thanks for the interview dean!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 13:01
^ Thanks, I will try to get the album and am confident that I will like it very much.

By the way, regarding my referring to my rather Neo-Prog production/ sound qualities feeling at times with the album, I'm not really sure what the "Umm" means -- my statement was pretty vague so I guess I shouldn't expect a really detailed response there. It was a far cry from me saying that it was Neo Prog.

Holy Moly, though as I said I haven't heard the album in quite a few years, so I'm going on memories, and it must be said that my memory isn't what it once was, I think you described it well.  It does have Yes qualities, particularly one track as I recall, and does have certain rocking classic Prog Rock qualities.  I'm not as into "rocking" music as most here. The more Symph Prog oriented than chamber music oriented qualities I was thinking of has a lot to do with the instrumentation rather than particularly compositional qualities.  
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 11:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Had it been more acoustic, I expect that I would have preferred the album

Logan, you should definitely listen to the live album "Upon both your houses" and this will give you another perspective and point of view on In Extremis compositions.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 08:22

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I quote: "It has this too polished, produced almost Neo Proggish feel for me during parts of the album."

Anyway...

Oops, my bad.  Dead I was a bit distracted when I wrote that.  Sorry.

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 07:34
Cool interview! I can't say I like the new album, though. At least yet.
There be dragons
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 22:24
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

In Extremis neo-progish??  Umm....  Confused

If you're referring to Logan's post, he said "symphonic prog", and not neo-prog.  A different kettle of fish certainly, but still a pretty curious statement on the surface.  But you know, I think there's something to that.  One of the reasons I liked "In Extremis" so much was that it wasn't so far in the RIO corner that it could only be enjoyed in an intellectual way.  It had some classic prog rock type moments -- it "rocked" like a classic Yes album -- and that really got my blood moving.  Here was an RIO-type album that had bucketloads of emotional, cathartic rock content.  I loved that aspect of it.  I never loved their other albums nearly as much (though I do like them all) because they felt more "studied" in comparison.

I quote: "It has this too polished, produced almost Neo Proggish feel for me during parts of the album."

Anyway...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 22:19

If you're referring to Logan's post, he said "symphonic prog", and not neo-prog.  A different kettle of fish certainly, but still a pretty curious statement on the surface.  But you know, I think there's something to that.  One of the reasons I liked "In Extremis" so much was that it wasn't so far in the RIO corner that it could only be enjoyed in an intellectual way.  It had some classic prog rock type moments -- it "rocked" like a classic Yes album -- and that really got my blood moving.  Here was an RIO-type album that had bucketloads of emotional, cathartic rock content.  I loved that aspect of it.  I never loved their other albums nearly as much (though I do like them all) because they felt more "studied" in comparison.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 02 2012 at 22:20

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 21:52
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 21:17
A great interview!... AND A GREAT ALBUM THAT LAST ONE!! - "Decline And Fall" rules big time, my no. 1 album of 2012 so far.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 15:26
Nice interview, my copy of the newest arrived in the mail today and is getting it's first spin as I type...good stuff!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 15:13
based on memory as it has been a long time since I last listened to it:  I think part of what it may have been was that in Extremis was quite Symphonic Prog oriented whereas I was more chamber music oriented, but I can think of many exceptions to that if it were a rule which it isn't, and  the extensive mellotron and the way synths were used put me off.  It has this too polished, produced almost Neo Proggish feel for me during parts of the album. I did like the longest piece, "Les Etudes d'Organism" considerably.  Had it been more acoustic, I expect that I would have preferred the album (and that statement is coming from a great lover of electronic music).

I had a few disappointments with albums back then that I just didn't feel lived up to the very high praise I was hearing; whereas, I got A History of Madness before hearing any praise based on, as I recall, a sample that I came across.  It's not really that they didn't live up to the praise, as that is to a large extent subjective, but that my expectations were off to which, of course, I can only blame myself for being careless and being overly influenced by my expectations.

It's been a  long time since I've been disappointed with an album I got, even though a lot of them I haven't even sampled before but get based on descriptions alone.  I'm much better at getting albums I'll love unheard than I once was since I'm more knowledgeable about music and what to expect now, and I don't follow the praise nearly so much, but rather pay attention to and look for how the sound is described and which other music/ bands/ composers it relates to.

Anyway, though I like Thinking Plague considerably, and was very impressed with A History of Madness, it never became a favourite RIO-related band of mine.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 14:08
Yeah that was a nice read. I'm currently waiting to get my hands on the newest oneBig smile
Funny enough - unlike Greg here, I was actually pretty meh about this band until I purchased In Extremis, and then suddenly everything clicked.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 14:07
Thanks for posting that.  I had the pleasure of interviewing Mike Johnson myself, back in '98 (after being blown away by In Extremis).  It wasn't even a formal Q&A type interview, I just spoke with him on the phone for an hour and wrote an article based on it.  It was a very interesting and pleasant conversation; Mike was very candid and had a lot of thoughtful things to say.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 12:48
Good interview.  Like to see them at the RIO Fest, but, though I expect to go to some places in Europe around that time, including Paris, I don't think I'd have time for that side-trip even if it coincides with my stay there, which it probably wouldn't anyway.

I was actually very disappointed with In Extremis when I got it (about six or seven years ago).  It was my first TP album, and I knew it was very highly regarded, but fell flat on my ears. I am glad that not much later I decided to get A History of Madness, which I loved on first listen, and changed my mind about the band (fit my common tastes in music much better).  I then got Early Plague Years which I liked very much.  I have yet to hear the most recent album.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 03:12
So, I note: september, the R.I.O. festival... Too bad they don't have any other date: I would be glad to see them in Paris (le Triton, maybe?) or anywhere else.
I wouldn't mind going to Marseille if they were programmed to the MIMI festival in July, but that looks rather improbable.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 21:36
Great interview!
I stupidly decided to miss their recent free (I think) concert with "brother from another mother" Hamster Theater recently.  But it sounds like I might get a chance to make up for that.  I did see both ten or so years ago (around the time of In Extremis), but I'm not sure I "got" them at the time.

Just ordered Decline and Fall this afternoon.  Looking forward to it!

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 20:33
Excellent!!!!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 20:03
Great interview, this band is one of the few avant bands I actually truly love.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>