Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 13:23
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

What the hell does "haw" mean ?

It's a laugh.  Hee haw.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hee_Haw
Saw the show a lot as a kid.
Buck Owens and Roy Clark, dude.
If it has any relation to the incident then I am a monkey's uncle.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 26 2012 at 13:40
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 13:20
What the hell does "haw" mean ?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 13:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Does anybody haw an opinion on this Trayvon killing that is so over the media ?

OK, I think you didn't mean to write haw instead of have.  My wife and I have discussed this and it took some interesting turns.  Is Zimmerman "white"?   If he had been "black" would he not have been arrested?  It's really hard not to take "race" out of the equation.  In any event, they guy was apparently not "standing his ground".  He was a mentally disturbed individual and actively went after someone and gunned him down.  I've seen the photos of the guy and if I'm not mistaken he is a hispanic guy with a jewish last name.  Nevertheless an unarmed black kid was gunned down who apparently wasn't doing anything wron.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 26 2012 at 13:22
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 12:41
From the details originally released, I think people deserve to be outraged about no arrest being made. With that said, the man is not guilty of anything. He deserves a trial. I see the need for justice being perverted into a need for revenge. This road leads us to a very quickly deteriorating situation. Let's see a trial and let us see justice done if this man be guilty.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 12:38
Does anybody haw an opinion on this Trayvon killing that is so over the media ?
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 20:53

Time always wins.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 18:32
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Mini-rant.

This blog article just really pissed me off.

The author talks about Bisphenol A. It's a rather important chemical to prevent botulism from consumption of canned products. Canned food also tends to be very important for many people, especially poorer family (speaking from experience here, maybe that's not actually true). So just whipping out the industry is not desirable. However, animal tests have suggested the stuff is absolutely horrible. Ovarian cysts, enlarged prostates, massive reduction in testosterone, inverted sexual differentiation, and complete retardation of synapse formation. Most trials I've seen used either normal or below normal occurrences of the chemical.

Long story short, I cut it out of my diet even though most risks only manifest during puberty or other important developmental stages. It's not something I want to be recklessly consuming at the moment. Full disclosure now complete. I don't like the stuff.

Here's a quote from the link article which set me off.

The FDA has the power to finally put a stop to BPA in our food. It needs to stand up to industry pressure and protect us from this dangerous chemical.

What? It needs to protect us? This is the attitude I don't understand. It's sickening actually. Protect yourselves. You know the science. You know it's bad. Stop eating it. Protect other people. Tell your friends and your families about it. Get them to stop consuming it. You don't need a highly flawed bureaucracy which exists a puppet arm of huge drug and food manufacturers to validate or invalidate health choices for you. That's what leads to a nation of overweight diabetics with the standard of living of a 16th century English peasant.
I agree with your point but I think you gave the reason yourself in the previous post with the Carl Sagan interview. Either people only listen to high and mighty advisers, however wrong they might be, or they need to be forced to avoid something in order to, well, avoid it. It's the easy, lazy way out. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 16:22

Even when you get intelligent people, political discussion just does not lend itself to the medium. I remember one time Carl Sagan was getting into it with some pseudo-libertarian guy who called. Basically it goes,

Caller: Poignant point that could lead to a very interesting discussion

Moderator: Realizes this to be very abstract and time consuming with little to no umph moments. Derides the caller in a calm voice

Sagan: I'll use the authoritarian position of me being famous and a guest on this show to refute your point simply by stating my unsubstantiated opinion confidently.

Caller: Either realizes what's going on and tries a new question or is too stupid to see it so he keeps pounding his head against the wall

Listeners: This caller is stupid or crazy because Sagan and the moderator are so smart and well spoken

This is pretty much right on, and not just that medium.  With slight variations but the same net outcome you could include most television "journalism" also. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 12:54
Mini-rant.

This blog article just really pissed me off.

The author talks about Bisphenol A. It's a rather important chemical to prevent botulism from consumption of canned products. Canned food also tends to be very important for many people, especially poorer family (speaking from experience here, maybe that's not actually true). So just whipping out the industry is not desirable. However, animal tests have suggested the stuff is absolutely horrible. Ovarian cysts, enlarged prostates, massive reduction in testosterone, inverted sexual differentiation, and complete retardation of synapse formation. Most trials I've seen used either normal or below normal occurrences of the chemical.

Long story short, I cut it out of my diet even though most risks only manifest during puberty or other important developmental stages. It's not something I want to be recklessly consuming at the moment. Full disclosure now complete. I don't like the stuff.

Here's a quote from the link article which set me off.

The FDA has the power to finally put a stop to BPA in our food. It needs to stand up to industry pressure and protect us from this dangerous chemical.

What? It needs to protect us? This is the attitude I don't understand. It's sickening actually. Protect yourselves. You know the science. You know it's bad. Stop eating it. Protect other people. Tell your friends and your families about it. Get them to stop consuming it. You don't need a highly flawed bureaucracy which exists a puppet arm of huge drug and food manufacturers to validate or invalidate health choices for you. That's what leads to a nation of overweight diabetics with the standard of living of a 16th century English peasant.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 21 2012 at 12:54
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 12:00
Even when you get intelligent people, political discussion just does not lend itself to the medium. I remember one time Carl Sagan was getting into it with some pseudo-libertarian guy who called. Basically it goes,

Caller: Poignant point that could lead to a very interesting discussion

Moderator: Realizes this to be very abstract and time consuming with little to no umph moments. Derides the caller in a calm voice

Sagan: I'll use the authoritarian position of me being famous and a guest on this show to refute your point simply by stating my unsubstantiated opinion confidently.

Caller: Either realizes what's going on and tries a new question or is too stupid to see it so he keeps pounding his head against the wall

Listeners: This caller is stupid or crazy because Sagan and the moderator are so smart and well spoken
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 11:16
I do listen to NPR a lot in the car because I hate music so it's either that or Cspan, but I wish they would spend less time on things that are pointless or stupid. They had one guy on for a long time the other day saying that we needed to regulate airlines again because the evil financiers were killing cities for no reason by removing their airline routes. And the approach of here is a controversial issue: listen to some douche from the Heritage Foundation and some douche from Huffington Post argue about it while the host moderates is inherently flawed. Or when they talk to some actor that nobody cares about for like an hour on Fresh Air.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:32
Listening to NPR just makes a sheep who thinks himself to be educated. I would say that's the most dangerous type of sheep. Seriously, NPR and PBS have fallen off a cliff. 
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 23:51

^ Not a jab at him personally, but often times people try to hide their relative ignorance by refusing to state any beliefs of their own and instead cracking half-sensible jokes devoid of fact at others' arguments.
But..but...I listen to NPR! :(

Anyway, I'm happy for Mittens that he won Illinois. I would be upset if I were him that this keeps dragging on.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

That's one way to look at it. The other way is to recognize that just continuing down the path also matters. You're talking about unsustainable programs as if they will perpetuate. What you cut matters just as much as what you kill by not cutting.

Yeah I hate it when people say that the wealthy create jobs. However, those with the ability to invest in large scores of capital do tend give rise to economic development.

Actually the programs are sustainable, what isn't is the parasitic relationship we have between those who actually make things and those at the top of the economic ladder who don't.

Speculation doesn't create any real jobs, gas marketing does not...

Really? Social Security is sustainable? Explain that one to me.

First off, you picked two activities which could theoretically not provide jobs. What is that supposed to say? I could retort with saying something like opening a Sonic or a UHaul storage facility.

Your falling into a Marxist flawed ideology here. Do you want me to explain the benefits of the two activities you mentioned? Do you want to explain the relationship between production and worth to me?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:59
Cmon Slart, no love? A pretty moderate and effective idea that would still accomplish much of what liberals want IMO!

Another thing I loathe to admit to our libertarian friends....I never believed in the "Road to Serfdom" but it does seem to be coming true. I can't separate "economics" and "personal life" anymore. Everything snowballs. Likewise,  when you lose weight it comes off everywhere. The government needs a diet! Personal Life, Economics, Foreign Policy. If you wanna reduce involvement in one it requires all.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:16

That's one way to look at it. The other way is to recognize that just continuing down the path also matters. You're talking about unsustainable programs as if they will perpetuate. What you cut matters just as much as what you kill by not cutting.

Yeah I hate it when people say that the wealthy create jobs. However, those with the ability to invest in large scores of capital do tend give rise to economic development.

Actually the programs are sustainable, what isn't is the parasitic relationship we have between those who actually make things and those at the top of the economic ladder who don't.

Speculation doesn't create any real jobs, gas marketing does not...

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 16:18

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:51
Long story short: by making smart and necessary cuts to the government we can lower the tax burden which allows more money to go to middle and working class families. It would still be progressive, those with the means to contribute to society more will still do so and IMO more realistically than now.

With the less bloated government we could sustain some government programs like SS and limited welfare.

Edit: You are right about "wealth creating wealth" or the top being the generator of jobs.
Supply side economics has failed every time it's been tried for over 100 years. The way for growth is through saving, empowerment of the middle class and small business. Reducing government overall is what seems best for me. After all it's not what we have now. Middle class tax burdens edged up under Bush, and the price of everything keeps choking us. Cry
Yes, I am writing a book by the way, I officially copyright the above two posts as property of my brain (and largely a merger of other writersTongue)

Edited by JJLehto - March 20 2012 at 16:10
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Why I changed Slart is I realized 1) our government is f**ked. 2) there is no way to "help the middle classes" while sustaining the programs I wanted. 3) we DO need to reduce our deficits here and abroad.
It hit me the only way to fix the government is to reduce it. If that happened we could lower taxes across the board, including property and sales taxes which are regressive. It'd also force us to end our foreign policy. Oh and ending the fed/returning to gold standard will ease inflation, also a tax that hurts middle class and working people most.
So yeah, call me a limited/efficient liberal now.

Well, the problem here is people wanting to reduce government without regard to the consequences.  It all sounds nice to just cut it.  What you are cutting matters.  All of these slash and burn cutting government types don't give a crap about the consequences of doing that or they pretend that it doesn't matter or that we'll have a utopia.  So you want to cut the deficit?  The wealthy should kick in first.  This f**king nonsense that they are the job creators burns my shorts because if they really were, we'd be fantastically well off as a country with all the tax cuts they have been given.

Like I said...I'm still a liberal. I support a progressive income tax because I don't care what anyone else says, that is fairest way. Here's the thing, as you know I was all about the wealthy paying their fair share...but they already don't. Romney got flak for paying like 17% in income tax? Must be the limit...because I believe Warren Buffet (with his tens of billions) paid around 17% while his employees paid 33%, this is by his own admittance.
So I realized jacking it up is honestly pointless, and those lower earners in the top bracket (like $400,000 a year) will get hammered. Not quite fair since millionaires and the real big whales are the target.

I also support some government programs still, but obviously you must know as it is now is messy and not really sustainable. Frankly, I'm a little surprised. I thought you'd know me well enough to know I don't advocate insane rash cuts. As you said, what matters.

My scenario, (maybe I'll write a book on itLOL) tell me what you think because I'm working on this:
1. Drastic cut to the defense budget/change in foreign policy. Few Americans are willing to admit it but not only would it make us safer, but it would lift a huge chunk of government spending.
2. Make rational cuts to wasteful spending.
3. Gotta be willing to open the postal service up to competition, look at cutting some useless departments, privatizing certain things.
4. With what I see as rational cuts in government we could lower taxes but eliminate loopholes. You can't get out of it, but it's lower. How about 25% on the top? 10-20% for the rest. It'd be like 15% cuts for most of America. Big cuts in property and sales tax, because you know those are regressive and hurt middle/working class families.
This could allow us to keep some important government programs.
5. Gotta eliminate (or radically alter) the Fed to stave off inflation, which is also a tax that is regressive.

Or maybe use sometime of negative income tax like Milton Friedman suggested. Everyone gets a certain amount of $ that naturally cuts off at a point, then you become a tax payer. Lower earners would get a net payment from the government and it could lead to a more drastic reduction in welfare, which is good but messy and prone to abuse. Like now, you can live off it if you chose but there's a real incentive to look for work. Look into it man.

Edited by JJLehto - March 20 2012 at 15:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 13:28

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Why I changed Slart is I realized 1) our government is f**ked. 2) there is no way to "help the middle classes" while sustaining the programs I wanted. 3) we DO need to reduce our deficits here and abroad.
It hit me the only way to fix the government is to reduce it. If that happened we could lower taxes across the board, including property and sales taxes which are regressive. It'd also force us to end our foreign policy. Oh and ending the fed/returning to gold standard will ease inflation, also a tax that hurts middle class and working people most.
So yeah, call me a limited/efficient liberal now.

Well, the problem here is people wanting to reduce government without regard to the consequences.  It all sounds nice to just cut it.  What you are cutting matters.  All of these slash and burn cutting government types don't give a crap about the consequences of doing that or they pretend that it doesn't matter or that we'll have a utopia.  So you want to cut the deficit?  The wealthy should kick in first.  This f**king nonsense that they are the job creators burns my shorts because if they really were, we'd be fantastically well off as a country with all the tax cuts they have been given.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 294>