FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 294>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 21:43
^ Please be careful, the chances of getting some kind of sandwich involving beef and cheese called a "cheesesteak" are very high.   Good luck.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 23:19
Someday I hope to eat a real cheesesteak. A guy can get something called that out here on the West Coast, but it sucks. Funny, there was a "New York Deli" here many years ago, run by a guy from New York. I suppose it was authentic, but he was an in your face combative type of guy and his business did not last long. 

"Thanks, but no I do not want a pickle."
"What's wrong wit' you, you do not want a pickle?"
"All due respect, I don't want a pickle."
"Jeez, f**king idiot doesn't want a pickle."

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 09:34
Well I must say that sounds pretty much like my experiences in New York. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 17:56

horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 18:21
I just finished a long discussion with my mom and brother about economics and politics. Most of it was based around the fact that I believe people are rational beings and make rational choices. My mom and brother disagreed, and stated that people are irrational because if they were rational, they would always be predictable (i.e. it could be mapped out in statistical models). Any ideas for how I could convince them that I am right?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 20:49
You can very acutely critique the assumption of rationality in economic thought, but their criticism just does not make any sense. First off, even deterministic systems, such as meteorological effects, cannot be accurately predicted. The large number of variables precludes anything other than a probabilistic analysis. You could say that human subject themselves in mass to a statistical examination and inference, but we remain unable to predict behavior per se. It's not even necessary to mention that though. The rationality axiom basically claims, with some necessary requirements on how preferences are ordered, that individuals will seek to maximize their utility. I can do this while being perfectly unpredicatble.

Silly example: You give me the option of 2 hotdogs or a cheeseburger. I'm rational so I will pick the one which gives me the most utility. You can't predict my behavior because you have no access to my preferences. I pick the cheeseburger. You know have the information that I prefer cheeseburgers. The next day you offer the same choice to me. This day I pick the 2 hot dogs. You failed to predict me. It does not mean failed to act rationally. I still acted with my preferenes. The marginal utility the second hamburger simply is less than marginal utility of my first two hot dogs in a two day period. If preferences were static and known to all, then yes your siblings would raise a valid critique. However, under real circumstances they must attack it via different angles.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 21:36
They could never be predicted. What might be rational for A might not be for B. The only common link is that in general rational choices tend towards self-interest/utility, but the outside qualification of something as rational/irrational is impossible. Yes, and it's irrational.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 22:31
another brick in the wall

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 14:33
A few other things:
Frothy wants to use obcenity laws to rid us of our wicked viewing habits:

Oh, and Congress has made a law that abridges the freedom of speech, the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances:
The House vote was 388-3 for (guess who was among the 3 against)

Time always wins.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 15:18
388-3? Not even Slarti will we able to paint this as a gop-dem game. All politicians are repulsive.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 15:26
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

another brick in the wall
I finally saw it. The explanation of the Third Reich are rather simplistic but I know that was not the objective here. I agree with the spirit of the video wholeheartedly.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 18:13
My brother was telling me earlier about the bill that passed both houses...how being "disruptive" while the President is speaking is a crime. Being "disruptive" around anyone protected by the secret service or in certain places is a crime as well.

Naturally, they will point out and say "awww cmon you need to protect these people" but if you were to run up and try to punch Obama you'd be grabbed and put on the floor before you touched him.
Seems clear this would be used to silence protesters.
Loooong before I would even think the words Ron Paul I hated this kind of sh*t. Free speech takes another stab in the back : (

And more proof that while the two parties will argue to death over anything, they agree on civil liberties...removing them of course.
Passed both houses...up to Obama now. Boy I wonder if he'll sign itLOL maybe he'll be "reluctant" about this one as well!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 00:38
I believe it was already signed

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:50
Well, like there was any chance it wasn't gunna be.

So after being semi sold on the idea, I can say with 107% certainty I support Ron Paul.
As some of you must've noticed I've been rethinking my beliefs for a while. I always am, and honestly for a while things didn't seem to "make sense" no matter how I tried. I was quite stuck to my beliefs but the final straw was after observation.

Wubya, Obama. Republicans, Democrats. No matter what anyone does we all seem stuck at a plateau, as my family always gripes we keep fighting to keep our head above water. The level of which seemed to be rising all the time, and we could never figure out why. Why is sh*t always just getting worse? I'm no expert on the Fed but isn't it supposed to control the economy? Why are prices always so out of hand? If they are supposed to regulate the cycle why are there still recessions?

Is it really so crazy to have competitive currencies? (obviously gold backed or fiat)

I started reading into Paul and every question I had seemed to have an answer. Plus the stuff I already believed in like changing our foreign policy, cut defense spending, the erosion of liberties. What was the "only man representing change while all others are the same" is now something I honestly believe in.
Not 100% ... I believe more in a limited government than as small as Paul seems to want but yeah, I'm on board the revolution.

I was already questioning myself and slowly coming to terms with what I believed was wrong, and I guess I kinda used you guys to help me chip away at itLOL

Edited by JJLehto - March 16 2012 at 22:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 23:57
The Libertarian Thread wears down another one LOL.

I should relay to you the details of a convo I had earlier with a friend I haven't seen in years that, unbenounced to me, had become a lobbyist.  The jist of it was that while she had spent her life in republican politics she had two democrat congressman completely wrapped around her little finger, that there isn't a House or Senate member in the state of PA that she couldn't work with, that both Romney and Obama are owned by the same people, and that a Ron Paul presidency would be a disaster for the lobbying industry.  She added that if he were to somehow get elected that she would be fine with it, however, as she'd finally be able to start her own business.  My conversation with her very forcefully confirmed that we live under corporatism and that capitalism left town long ago.  Wish I'd have recorded the conversation.

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 00:20
I wouldn't take too much credit...there IS a reason I started talking with you guys in the first place ; )
After all...initiative is the key to all success!
It was damn hard to break the mentality though. Man, I didn't even really believe in what I told people...it just made no sense when observing life and the way things are. Maybe it's why I just couldn't stop debating, hoping to force myself to accept what I used to believe was wrong! Not easy to do when you are opinionated.

I believe that 100%.
I can counter with my own PA politician who is a Democrat (though personally is a Republican) and supports Romney. Naturally he hates Obama but I think he's a bit more naive than sinister. Seems to honestly believe the party line, he's quite sincere in hating Obama and liking Romney, which is just great! But yeah he's in to line his pockets and just work deals with people. Even on the local level...we are so f**ked.

Of course when out with friends I laugh about his "corrupt friend" and how he abuses his power and can get us a deal at the cigar shop, but it makes me want to vomitCry
No doubt man, it's quite obvious that both parties are the same sh*t and like many I looked at the horrors the free market and capitalism has given us, but I see it really is corporatism.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 02:00
Just beware of labeling and selling the Big L, the moment an idea becomes 'something' is the moment it's in jeopardy of mediocrity.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 02:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Just beware of labeling and selling the Big L, the moment an idea becomes 'something' is the moment it's in jeopardy of mediocrity.

You are right but I can only vouch for me, and this is no rash decision! The better part of 2 years actually I spent thinking about it. I plan to continue it after Paul retires.
Maybe do something insanely stupid and run for office when I'm 25. Run a crazy, no money campaign to draw some attention to it. Maybe Rob, Pat, MoM and llama if we find him can do the same! We'll talk about prog, sandwiches and how to take over the US in a good wayLOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 08:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

You are right but I can only vouch for me, and this is no rash decision! The better part of 2 years actually I spent thinking about it. I plan to continue it after Paul retires.
Maybe do something insanely stupid and run for office when I'm 25. Run a crazy, no money campaign to draw some attention to it. Maybe Rob, Pat, MoM and llama if we find him can do the same! We'll talk about prog, sandwiches and how to take over the US in a good wayLOL

If I hadn't left the republican party in disgust, and been so clear about it to all my old contacts LOL, then I might have already tried to run by now.  It seems that I'm too late now as there is already a Ron Paul republican running in my districts congressional primary against union tool Tim Murphy.  I've talked to him quite a bit already and lent a tiny bit assistance to his campaign.  The guy's name is Evan Feinberg, btw, and he used to work for Rand Paul.

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 294>