FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 294>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 08:01
If say something nice about Obama, Slarti feels he has won one. Remember, it's all a war.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:00
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

If say something nice about Obama, Slarti feels he has won one. Remember, it's all a war.

How about nice hair? LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:09
Evidently, we do not get it because our minds refuse to vote for groups of people under an arbitrary banner rather than voting for individuals because of their convictions. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

How about nice hair? LOL
But I don't like his hair. Clinton's was better.

I can also say something nice. He's a nobel peace prize winner for god's sake!

Oh, wait...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:16
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Evidently, we do not get it because our minds refuse to vote for groups of people under an arbitrary banner rather than voting for individuals because of their convictions. 
The group mentality is also evident on this Trayvon case. Instead of trying to focus on what happened and whether one or the other acted wrong, people immediately side with the group. They see the situation as a "us vs them" affair.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:28
Yes. It's a shame to see.

It's especially the same as more details come out and you realize our world isn't so black and white. It puts the mobs in a tough position.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 27 2012 at 09:30
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 12:03
How about this: Obama's not above delegating dictatoral powers.

Ladies and gentleman, Martial Law:

"What is extraordinary in the new Executive Order is that this supreme power is designated through the president to the secretaries that run the Government itself:
• The Secretary of Defense has power over all water resources;
• The Secretary of Commerce has power over all material services and facilities, including construction materials;
• The Secretary of Transportation has power over all forms of civilian transportation;
• The Secretary of Agriculture has power over food resources and facilities, livestock plant health resources, and the domestic distribution of farm equipment;
• The Secretary of Health and Human Services has power over all health resources;
• The Secretary of Energy has power over all forms of energy."

"The new Executive Order gives the government, through the Secretary of Labor, the right to proactively mobilize U.S. citizens for "labor" as the government deems necessary and to coordinate with the Secretary of Defense to maintain data to coordinate the nation's work needs in relation to national defense."

Time always wins.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 12:06

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

How about nice hair? LOL
But I don't like his hair. Clinton's was better.

I can also say something nice. He's a nobel peace prize winner for god's sake!

Oh, wait...

I respect Obama but that was one of those WTF moments.

You gotta problem with curly hair???  I will so track you down and kick your ass. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 27 2012 at 12:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 12:21
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

"What is extraordinary in the new Executive Order is that this supreme power is designated through the president to the secretaries that run the Government itself:
• The Secretary of Commerce has power over all material services and facilities, including construction materials;
• The Secretary of Transportation has power over all forms of civilian transportation;
• The Secretary of Agriculture has power over food resources and facilities, livestock plant health resources, and the domestic distribution of farm equipment;
• The Secretary of Health and Human Services has power over all health resources;

"The new Executive Order gives the government, through the Secretary of Labor, the right to proactively mobilize U.S. citizens for "labor" as the government deems necessary and to coordinate with the Secretary of Defense to maintain data to coordinate the nation's work needs in relation to national defense."

I posted that like a week ago bub.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 13:09
If you wanna piss of Slart HERE'S a comment:

I actually think I like Wubya better as a person.

Now as a President he was pretty much a miserable failure in every regard.
But as a person I really do believe he wanted what was best for America and thought he was doing so. Also he himself had no real scandals or corruption.
Problem is he was a f**king moron and weak...so he got completely overrun by neocons.

Hey George sign this it'll stop the terrorists "OK, oh the Patriot Act that must be good"   Hey George we need to go to Iraq because Saddam is bad and he supports terrorism "You're right Saddam is pretty bad"   His advisers told him everything, dude lived in a bubble world.

Obama is smart (hey there's a compliment). He is certainly a smart man and is control of everything, which means he needs to take the blame for every 180 he's pulled and the bad bills he's signed.

Honestly, why do you think I got turned off Slart? I truly find it tough to find anything good. His crowning achievement was the healthcare bill which is not really any good and he's continued Wubya's policies.

Edited by JJLehto - March 27 2012 at 13:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 14:14

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I posted that like a week ago bub.

A thousand apologies.  It is worth calling people attention to it as often as possible, though.

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 14:17
I agree. I find it strange that the media seems to be completely unconcerned.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:16

I agree. I find it strange that the media seems to be completely unconcerned.

I would hope that was sarcasm.

I took that Political Compass quiz again (I like to do so every few months to see how much my results change), and this is what I scored this time:

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.64

And here's a handy-dandy chart of how I compare to all the presidential candidates:

I think I'm still about as far on the right, but I've definitely dropped a few points lower on the chart.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:16
They're company men

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:27

Is that test from the the first thing that comes up when you google search "Your Political Compass"?  If so, based on the wording of the first question it's not worth taking.

Time always wins.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:33
Yes. Is there a better test other than the Libertarian Purity Test? That's the only one I've ever taken where I felt satisfied with the results.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:37
I've yet to find a test I like

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:39
The political compass is fun, but the question are worded so poorly. If a student in one of my Statistics classes handed that to me as their questionnaire, I would have to give them a poor grade. I'm surprised at where they have Ron Paul placed. Part of the problem also comes from the assumption of the existence of some compass to place people along.

I'll point out some issues with the questions.

1) If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

I would answer, strongly agree to this. However, the question assumes when placing you that the two interest do not align. One extreme makes you right, the other extreme makes you left.

2) Because corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily protect the environment, they require regulation.

I would answer strongly agree to this. This would have me labeled in the direction of left and authoritarian. I would call the former meaningless and the latter incredibly inaccurate as a label for me.

I think corporations should be regulated, but I do not believe they should be regulated by a government. The question assumes only a governmental body can provide the regulation.

3) Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment.

There's a lot wrong with this. Part of it being that if I find the two to be completely equal in importance, I would say I strongly disagree with this question. However, that would have me being pegged as saying unemployment is more important to control than inflation.

A lot of them fall into similar trouble with how they assign grades to responses.

Anyway just for reference:

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 27 2012 at 16:01
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:47

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 15:59
^Thank you for contributing this excellent addition to our discussion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 294>