Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 12:34
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 12:38
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Mess with my quotes and you've a fifty-fifty chance of losing the ensuing word-play. You'll get the next one. (maybe)

LOL

Edited by Dean - October 03 2012 at 12:38
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 18:10
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Of course, the nonsense myths this article so effectively dispells have been what have kept this thread vibrant for so long.  How many of you, who eventually came around, believed at least 1 of these myths before coming here? Also, how often do we continue to see them used as throw away lines, used in a last ditch attempt to invalidate our opinions, when opponents have no leg to stand on?  They were certainly promoted as facts by republican debate moderators, earlier this year, and probably alwys will be by old media.

Good article, MoM. The one that I run into all the time is the "all people are good" one, which utterly baffles me. It is precisely because we don't believe all people are good that we object to giving people unlimited power over others in the form of government. Isn't that self-evident?

I have never thought that libertarians think all people are good.  I think what libertarians do do however is completely ignore the dangers that accumulation of private power can pose to the freedom of all by focusing solely on governmental power.  True, when governments have unlimited power, a few people have freedom and power and the rest of us are powerless and under the control of an oppressive system.  Likewise, when governments have no or very little power, private individuals are allowed to accumulate vast amounts of power, which again leaves a few with freedom and power, and the rest of us at the mercy of those private individuals.  You may dismiss the economic power which employers, banks, landlords, et al can exert over the populace, but that power is as dangerous as any weapon or police power.  Back in the day before labor laws came to the fore, the common man's choice was to either work extremely long hours for very low wages in very dangerous conditions or go without eating.  The Supreme Court at the time called laws banning these conditions unconstitutional on the grounds that it interfered not only with the employers' freedom to contract, but also the employees.  To say that employees had any freedom whatsoever in these situations was a gross misuse of the word imo.  Their choice was to work like slaves, risking life and limb, for subsistence wages or starve.  Not much of a choice, nor much freedom there.  There must be a balance between governmental and private power, so that they act as checks on one another.  The balance in this country, I'm sure we would all agree is out of whack, but instead of moving toward less government, I think the balance lies in more control over those with private power to give the rest of us some of that freedom you keep talking about.

By the way, as to the article on Sweden, let me just say, I'd much rather live in a society with a lower per capita GDP and a lower rate of growth but where the money is more equitably spread, than in a society with a higher per capita GDP and growth rate, but where the vast majority of the money goes only to those at the very top.  It's all about standard of living for everyone, not just the amount the economy produces, but how many people get to enjoy the fruits of that economy.

Edited by The Doctor - October 03 2012 at 18:12
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 18:16
I don't pretend economic power isn't important, but the difference between economic power and political power is that Wal-Mart can't use guns to make me shop there or work there.

When a corporation becomes too powerful, an armed revolution isn't necessary to dethrone it, just another company with a better idea of how to do things. This has happened time and time again historically. When Microsoft was writing its own ticket in the computer industry, Apple emerged to challenge it. At one point it was buy a Ford or don't have a car, now you can choose from dozens of companies.

Of course economic power can be dangerous but it is easier to control with peaceful means than political power.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 18:47
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Back in the day before labor laws came to the fore, the common man's choice was to either work extremely long hours for very low wages in very dangerous conditions or go without eating.  The Supreme Court at the time called laws banning these conditions unconstitutional on the grounds that it interfered not only with the employers' freedom to contract, but also the employees.  To say that employees had any freedom whatsoever in these situations was a gross misuse of the word imo.  Their choice was to work like slaves, risking life and limb, for subsistence wages or starve.  Not much of a choice, nor much freedom there. 

Government regulations did not cause that to happen, I can assure you.  What changed after the industrial revolution in the US was the eventual proliferation of transportation and communication.  Hell, now that we have the Internet, the opportunity for people to be their own bosses has skyrocketed.  I can make a friggin website with a database of Prog Rock bands and albums, throw in a forum, hire nobody, and still make good money.  Right M@X?  M@X???

Even if there was a need for the FLSA and so forth, it is no longer needed now.  Would you work a job for $11 a week now?

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 18:57
In fact, there's a passage in The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.  I read it just this morning.  Here it is:

Originally posted by chapter 26 chapter 26 wrote:

And Jurgis saw. He went back to the yards, and into the workroom. The men had left a long line of hogs in various stages of preparation, and the foreman was directing the feeble efforts of a score or two of clerks and stenographers and office boys to finish up the job and get them into the chilling rooms. Jurgis went straight up to him and announced, "I have come back to work, Mr. Murphy."  

The boss's face lighted up. "Good man!" he cried. "Come ahead!"  

"Just a moment," said Jurgis, checking his enthusiasm. "I think I ought to get a little more wages."  

"Yes," replied the other, "of course. What do you want?"  

Jurgis had debated on the way. His nerve almost failed him now, but he clenched his hands. "I think I ought to have' three dollars a day," he said.  

"All right," said the other, promptly; and before the day was out our friend discovered that the clerks and stenographers and office boys were getting five dollars a day, and then he could have kicked himself!  

In other words, an author who led to the Pure Food and Drug Act and other Federal initiatives in 1906 insinuated that a worker could claim a wage, get it, and still be disappointed.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:03
Upton Sinclair was an idiot.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:07

Upton Sinclair was an idiot.

Don't be so insulting.  He at least shows that in 1906 a worker could command a wage, despite what his contemporary allies would insist.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:07
Resumed your book btw.

I want to punch Dorthea and Arthur.

Edited by Epignosis - October 03 2012 at 19:08
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:50

I don't pretend economic power isn't important, but the difference between economic power and political power is that Wal-Mart can't use guns to make me shop there or work there.

When a corporation becomes too powerful, an armed revolution isn't necessary to dethrone it, just another company with a better idea of how to do things. This has happened time and time again historically. When Microsoft was writing its own ticket in the computer industry, Apple emerged to challenge it. At one point it was buy a Ford or don't have a car, now you can choose from dozens of companies.

Of course economic power can be dangerous but it is easier to control with peaceful means than political power.
Apple and Microsoft are not direct competitors as such, there is crossover but Microsoft still dominate the OS market and IBM-compatibles still dominate the Personal Computer market. Apple's success (and profit) is not in the same market as Microsoft and it isn't in "the computing industry".

There has never been a time when it was Ford or nothing - while Ford were No.1 for a long time, there has always been a vast number of vehicle manufacturers to choose from, some of them are still with us, many have disappeared and several newer ones (mainly from the far east) have grown to dominate.
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 20:26
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Back in the day before labor laws came to the fore, the common man's choice was to either work extremely long hours for very low wages in very dangerous conditions or go without eating.  The Supreme Court at the time called laws banning these conditions unconstitutional on the grounds that it interfered not only with the employers' freedom to contract, but also the employees.  To say that employees had any freedom whatsoever in these situations was a gross misuse of the word imo.  Their choice was to work like slaves, risking life and limb, for subsistence wages or starve.  Not much of a choice, nor much freedom there. 

Government regulations did not cause that to happen, I can assure you.  What changed after the industrial revolution in the US was the eventual proliferation of transportation and communication.  Hell, now that we have the Internet, the opportunity for people to be their own bosses has skyrocketed.  I can make a friggin website with a database of Prog Rock bands and albums, throw in a forum, hire nobody, and still make good money.  Right M@X?  M@X???

Even if there was a need for the FLSA and so forth, it is no longer needed now.  Would you work a job for $11 a week now?

Right now.  No.  And that's what I want to avoid.  Going back to a time when employers could work you to death for $11 a day.  But I bet there are plenty of people here in the US who at this point are desperate enough that they would do it.  The only thing standing in employers' way is government regulation.  Because once they can get people desperate enough who are willing to work for $11 an hour, it isn't long before people have no choice but to work for subsistence wages.  Because, as your Upton Sinclair quote so clearly points out, and which you so clearly ignored, is that those with power will take advantage of those without power or in this case knowledge.  A decent human being would have said to the employee "Well, you know I pay everyone else $5 a day, but that's not really enough to live on, so I'm going to give you $7 a day and give everyone else the same wage.  I can afford it."  But decent human beings seldom make good businessmen.  And vice versa.  That's why we need government (which is in theory at least an extension of the will of all the people) to exert control over businesses and employers. 

You distrust people who work in government.  Why do you trust employers and businessmen to act decently so much?  Strike that.  Why do you even think it was decent of the employer to acquiesce to paying $3 a day when he knows he's paying everyone else $5 a day?

Edited by The Doctor - October 03 2012 at 20:27
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 21:44

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Right now.  No.  And that's what I want to avoid.  Going back to a time when employers could work you to death for $11 a day.  But I bet there are plenty of people here in the US who at this point are desperate enough that they would do it.  The only thing standing in employers' way is government regulation.  Because once they can get people desperate enough who are willing to work for $11 an hour, it isn't long before people have no choice but to work for subsistence wages.  Because, as your Upton Sinclair quote so clearly points out, and which you so clearly ignored, is that those with power will take advantage of those without power or in this case knowledge.  A decent human being would have said to the employee "Well, you know I pay everyone else $5 a day, but that's not really enough to live on, so I'm going to give you $7 a day and give everyone else the same wage.  I can afford it."  But decent human beings seldom make good businessmen.  And vice versa.  That's why we need government (which is in theory at least an extension of the will of all the people) to exert control over businesses and employers. 

You distrust people who work in government.  Why do you trust employers and businessmen to act decently so much?  Strike that.  Why do you even think it was decent of the employer to acquiesce to paying $3 a day when he knows he's paying everyone else $5 a day?

No one is desperate for $11 a week now.  Don't be silly.

I have power.  I am not taking advantage of anyone.  Someone now cuts my grass.  I pay him what he asks.  Sometimes more.  What do you make of this?

Edited by Epignosis - October 03 2012 at 21:49
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 21:58
You could find $11 a week lying in the street and under vending machines. I'm willing to bet that the pan handlers around here make more money than I do. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 22:05
 ^ oh there's little doubt--  I know several homeless who have thousands in the bank and they rarely spend it because they make plenty of daily $ on the street

Edited by Atavachron - October 03 2012 at 22:06
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 22:16
I thought about quitting my job and going off into f**kin' hermitage. Seems reasonable. 
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2012 at 13:19
I'm glad I missed this discussion. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 05:22
Story for our NJ contributor:
Looks like Mittens still wants to fight the primary.

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 294>