Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:15
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Hey guys not to get too caught up with fun quizzes but this one seems better, I'd say certainly more accurate for me.
Also gives a nice break down.
I've shifted well to the right and into "libertarian" on economics for this quiz.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

You are a centrist social libertarian.
Right: 0.96, Libertarian: 7.3

Today you learned I am more moderate than yourself, Brian. Cool

Also, I am just not convinced of a free market's power for good without restraint. I know too much government intervention is a bad thing, but I must say I don't see how it could be much better with no government. There should be a minimal government to ensure some things. Overall, I have some views that are anti-libertarian, such as the desire for a minimum wage, economic sanctions against oppressive nations, a social safety net, health care. The issue is to what extreme do those programs go. In a modern prosperous society like the USA, in this century, there should be an some degree of universal health care. In my vision of a civilized society in the 21st century, that is one marker. 

Was not aware I needed a lesson! Shocked
Fine by me...I've never been politically moderate, I think that's silly dumb dumb. It's easy to just be nothingApprove

You and I agree on generalities honestly:
Less government but not dedicated to uber free markets for everything
Minimum wage
Safety net and Healthcare

Pretty much sounds like you believe in efficient, liberal government. Like its all there, but not bloated and horribly out of control. Very little government over "personal life" and some less for "economics"
That's me brosefHandshake

Except I do hate sanctions

Edited by JJLehto - March 27 2012 at 22:17
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:22
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Does anybody haw an opinion on this Trayvon killing that is so over the media ?

OK, I think you didn't mean to write haw instead of have.  My wife and I have discussed this and it took some interesting turns.  Is Zimmerman "white"?   If he had been "black" would he not have been arrested?  It's really hard not to take "race" out of the equation.  In any event, they guy was apparently not "standing his ground".  He was a mentally disturbed individual and actively went after someone and gunned him down.  I've seen the photos of the guy and if I'm not mistaken he is a hispanic guy with a jewish last name.  Nevertheless an unarmed black kid was gunned down who apparently wasn't doing anything wron.

What's the point of bringing race into it? Who cares if he would have been arrested if he were black? Let's just get the guy arrested and get this kid's killer behind bars. I don't see why it has to be a group A against group B thing. 

His death is being exploited and that's disturbing to watch. 

How far up your asses are your heads?

It was about race since the beginning. 

Clearly the most moderate of voices on race issues out there. I won't abide by any white guilt or apologize for any indictment of my ethnicity for the actions of any other person or the institutions of society. I have a moral compass and I refuse to get swept up in grand statement about racial society or anything like that. The issue here is one person's paranoia, racism, and subsequent (probably unjustified) murder of another person. The law is poorly defined and problematic. The fact is this situation could have happened to a white person or any ethnicity, had the instigator been likewise profiling and suspicious of a different race. The law presumably does not mention "And it is also resolved that deadly force be used in defense, but only if the person is black." That would be absurd. 

Edited by stonebeard - March 27 2012 at 22:24
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:27
The problem is also the lack of follow up by the police, by which they trusted Zimmerman's word and let him go due to a clearly vague self defense law..  I mean that department is now being investigated because of this, and they knew about Zimmerman's paranoia and racism. 

and my result for the stupid, inaccurate quiz

Edited by KoS - March 27 2012 at 22:27
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:33
For an online quiz I thought it was pretty accurate and as in depth a simple internet quiz can really get and normal people understand it.
and OMG THERE IT IS!
So Ric is a normal, American liberal democrat

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:36

The problem is also the lack of follow up by the police, by which they trusted Zimmerman's word and let him go due to a clearly vague self defense law..  I mean that department is now being investigated because of this, and they knew about Zimmerman's paranoia and racism. 

True, but learning the police forces around the country are racist is like learning the sun produces light. Should be obvious by now. And fit seems logical it will always be true if the lowest-income, most-crime ridden areas are of a dis-proportionally large population of an ethnicity. It's just the case that it's rarely white people. While this is white privilege in essence, it is not something anyone should feel sorry about or apologize for, as no individual can choose the circumstances of their birth. Race issues are hard to solve, and the solutions brought up during heated issues like this are often reactionary.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:42

For an online quiz I thought it was pretty accurate and as in depth a simple internet quiz can really get and normal people understand it.
and OMG THERE IT IS!

Nope. I hate unions and coming from California, Democrats are a bunch of money wasting douchebags.
This quiz has the same validity as a moral meter in a Bethesda game.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:43

True, but learning the police forces around the country are racist is like learning the sun produces light. Should be obvious by now. And fit seems logical it will always be true if the lowest-income, most-crime ridden areas are of a dis-proportionally large population of an ethnicity. It's just the case that it's rarely white people. While this is white privilege in essence, it is not something anyone should feel sorry about or apologize for, as no individual can choose the circumstances of their birth. Race issues are hard to solve, and the solutions brought up during heated issues like this are often reactionary.
Yes, but to deny any racism, in part of a department and as a society is something to be debated. To deny that  "they are making it a race issue" is to deny that there are nay problems with race in this country, which is no the case.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:45

Why? I think they can be good as long as the philosophy behind them is sound (as in, not just sanctioning nations that don't play ball with the US or Israel. That is ludicrous policy.) I would hesitate to intervene militarily in a country experiencing genocide for instance, especially unilaterally. But unless there are other methods for intervention, something must be done. It is incredibly irresponsible to sit idly by while poorer nations tear each other apart. This is also why I said military intervention and pre-emptive strike is sometimes necessary. But this is in an incredibly limited circumstance, and in a neo-con kind of way. And this is from a general perspective as well, for all countries. The US, for instance, would have almost no legitimate reason to use a pre-emptive strike, as there are no nations close enough to us and our defense technology is so good that we should be able to see an attack coming as it unfolds, and repel it, even if another country would be so audacious to attempt it. Our policy is to protect Israel and our economic interests in the gulf. It is incredibly selfish and probably inherently racist and well as generally unethical.

Edited by stonebeard - March 27 2012 at 22:48
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:46

and OMG THERE IT IS!

Nope. I hate unions and coming from California, Democrats are a bunch of money wasting douchebags.

.....unions is like, one aspect of maybe 100LOL
But yeah Democrats are pretty stupid, also being from a state where Dems also ran us into the tank
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:47

and OMG THERE IT IS!

Bethesda games are curiously amoral. Except for not being able to kill kids, which is just BULLsh*t, MAN.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:47
Was going to take that test, that JJ brought up, but instead I'll just point out why my results would be flawed:
1. Laws should restrict abortion in all or most cases.
- To me this issue is completely backwards.  I find it hypocritical that so many "libertarians" support an act that denies every right they say they defend to someone who has no voice in the matter.
2. Unions were indispensible in establishing the middle class.
- What?  Don't play a word game just ask whether I support unions or not.
8. School science classes should teach intelligent design.
- This assumes the exam taker already has an authoritarian view on education.  Local issue, none of the central governments business.
11. Patriotism is an overrated quality.
- Don't people fight over the definition of "patriotism" all the time?  In America you're likely to consider whatever you believe to be patriotic either way.
17. It makes no sense to say 'I'm spiritual but not religious.'
- Not a political issue
25. Whatever maximizes economic growth is good for the people.
- How does this help in any way?  Focus on the how.
26. Racial issues will never be resolved. It is human nature to prefer one's own race.
- Whether or not you believe this is not relevant to the political spectrum.  You can still believe that all people should be free and think they'll never get along.

Henry: What servers do you frequent on TF2?

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 23:07

Why? I think they can be good as long as the philosophy behind them is sound (as in, not just sanctioning nations that don't play ball with the US or Israel. That is ludicrous policy.) I would hesitate to intervene militarily in a counter experiencing genocide for instance, especially unilaterally, but unless there are other methods for intervention, something must be done. It is incredibly irresponsible to sit idly by while poorer nations tear each other apart. This is also why I said military intervention and pre-emptive strike is sometimes necessary. But this is in an incredibly limited circumstance, and in a neo-con kind of way. And this is from a general perspective as well, for all countries. The US, for instance, would have almost no legitimate reason to use a pre-emptive strike, as there are no nations close enough to us and our defense technology is so good that we should be able to see an attack coming as it unfolds, and repel it, even if another country would be so audacious to attempt it. Our policy is to protect Israel and our economic interests in the gulf. It is incredibly selfish and probably inherently racist and well as generally unethical.

Sanctions just don't work. It hurts the people but those responsible for said wrong doing will not be affected, it also tends to foster anti (insert country) sentiment. IMO it'd cause more harm than good.

As for war, I would never agree to a pre emptive strike or unilateral action. I am OK with a multinational force in a legitimate situation. This is indeed limited.

Nothing to say about the last part. Obviously it's all about protecting Israel and our interests.

My foreign policy belief:
- We need to leave the Middle East (that mean any and all presence)
- We need to scale back our overseas force (do we need troops and bases in Canada, Europe, Australia and NZ?)
- We should capture terrorists or any threats the way we do know..with a multinational information effort and work with a country to capture and try said person. In a case when this is not possible, like Pakistan who tried sooo hard to turn over Bin Laden, then a small splinter cell to get them is acceptable. Sucks for Pakistan but better than invading, toppling your state and staying for 10 years.
- Same for humanitarian issues. If the issue is an actual regime that is a tough one to deal with admittedly

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 23:23
The issue that always stumps me is trade.
I know that economically free trade is of course far superior but (maybe vestiges of my leftist days) I can't help but feel while the better prices do benefit everyone how worth it is it for the loss of jobs?
I need to study it more but with a complete, no barrier trade regime I can't see how a lot of jobs don't end up going overseas/going out of business.

Edited by JJLehto - March 27 2012 at 23:24
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 23:26

Yes, but to deny any racism, in part of a department and as a society is something to be debated. To deny that  "they are making it a race issue" is to deny that there are nay problems with race in this country, which is no the case.
Yes, there are a lot of race problems in this country (as in many other countries of the world). No, this particular issue shouldn't be about race but about facts and justice. That some procedures weren't followed (probably taking the guy into custody) is unfortunate but that doesn't mean anything beyond confirming usual racial bias in police forces (of whom, as everybody here knows, I'm quite not the best of friends). The case itself shouldn't be judged outside of the facts of the case, period. If the guy commited homicide, punish him. If he acted out of self-defense, don't. But people are so quick to throw somebody into the fire without any actual reasoning. Yes, it is a race issue it seems. No, it shouldn't be.

Edited by The T - March 27 2012 at 23:29
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 07:14

How far up your asses are your heads?

It was about race since the beginning. 

Not as far into the descending colon as yours apparently since I'm still able to read the words I type. Evidently, you cannot read.

Me saying, who cares if racial motives are at play, is in no way equivalent to me saying, no racial motives were at play. It's not exactly a huge revelation that cops can be racist.

There's no reason for people to make this a black vs white, black vs hispanic issue. The group mentality makes this boy's death a struggle between two classes of the people. The boy's death should be the death of an individual, unique human being which should be made right. The race clash perverts and diminishes the importance of the individual and will ultimately lead to conflict rather than justice.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 28 2012 at 07:23
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 07:24
It was still very flawed Brian, but I agree much better than the other.

Foreign Policy:

On the left side are pacifists and anti-war activists. On the right side are those who want a strong military that intervenes around the world. You scored: -10

Culture:

Where are you in the culture war? On the liberal side, or the conservative side? This scale may apply more to the US than other countries. You scored: -5.09

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 28 2012 at 07:25
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 07:55
^You're not a Maoist yet after all.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 09:31
Not to distract from the quiz results, but this may or may not have made me want to smash my computer screen. Granted, the kid probably should have made his Twitter account private (I don't use Twitter, but I would assume there's a way you could do that), but that doesn't excuse the school's overblown reaction.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 09:43
The word police will beget the thought police. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 11:02
As a resident of Fort Wayne, you're welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 294>