Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 294>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:14
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

How would you deal with conflicts in a Libertarian state? without laws and regulations to refer to, it would be impossible for juries and judges to tell who is right and wrong and why except by saying 'because I say so, so shut up'

Why would a Libertarian state be lawless? And isn't that what juries do anyway?
I thought that the idea is that in a Libertarian state, instead of the government deciding the laws and regulations applicable to all the population, things would be agreed in contractual base between the directly involved parties, without caring what the indirectly affected people may think about the subject in question. So no 'universal laws' (universal within the State I mean, besides 'don't kill' and 'don't steal') but only inter-party agreements without any consistency among them. What in your agreement with person A is not legal may be legal in mine with person B. This is not a law in my definition.

All laws should, in my opinion, be based upon the principles of non-aggression (don't kill, steal, etc) and honesty (do what you have agreed to do).  Many conflicts would fall under the second principle and thus involve contracts instead of universal laws, yes.  The only law governing those contracts is that the people involved must abide by their word.

I'm not opposed to the government overseeing the judicial system, but I think many private contracts would be better settled by private arbitors, with state courts taking care of criminal law and being available as a last resort in cases of contract law.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:14

Can you just tell me exactly what you mean? Your analogies are really confusing me.

There are people in this country who are in positions of political power who believe that government itself is immoral.  And certain people in this thread believe in the same idea.

It's one thing to hate OUR government.  It's one thing to say OUR government has screwed up, and then to do your best to figure out just how that happened and what we can do about it.  But to believe that governing, in and of itself, is immoral - that's incredibly problematic.  And you can imagine people like myself feeling like the gentleman in the car watching the fellow passenger (who believes internal combustion engines are immoral) tear pieces out of the engine as it hurtles down the highway.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:26
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Going back to what I think Gerinski mentioned about undeveloped countries, those that are in really terrible situations aren't really a good example for anything. On one hand, they lack strong structures and legislation and they are more or less lawless, and the powerful and wealthy abuse and keep the country in misery. On the other hand, in many if not most cases there ARE governments that are so powerful and corrupt that they end up being just thug highly-paid enforcers for those rich and powerful.

This.

And to your point, Gerard, for businesses to grow, they have to convince consumers to buy things from them.  They also have to convince workers to come work for them.  Lower prices and higher wages both attract consumers and employees.  The only way to prevent this competition is to gain a monopoly - and practically the only way to do that is to get government help to squelch competition.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:30

Going back to what I think Gerinski mentioned about undeveloped countries, those that are in really terrible situations aren't really a good example for anything. On one hand, they lack strong structures and legislation and they are more or less lawless, and the powerful and wealthy abuse and keep the country in misery. 
Doesn't this speak for itself?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:31
^^I already told you I was through arguing with you Geoff but I would like to make one thing clear: I do NOT think there should be no government and I do NOT think that government is inherently evil.

I think that there should be less (much, much less) government and that government has a natural and unavoidable tendency to become corrupt, which I why I want to strictly limit it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:39

Going back to what I think Gerinski mentioned about undeveloped countries, those that are in really terrible situations aren't really a good example for anything. On one hand, they lack strong structures and legislation and they are more or less lawless, and the powerful and wealthy abuse and keep the country in misery. 

Not really.  "Libertarian" doesn't mean "lawless."  In a libertarian (not anarcho-capitalist) society, corporations would have great freedom but wouldn't be able to force their employees to do anything.  In a lawless society, corporations could beat and confine and steal from and even kill their employees and customers unless the victims could fight back.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:48
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

And to your point, Gerard, for businesses to grow, they have to convince consumers to buy things from them.  They also have to convince workers to come work for them.  Lower prices and higher wages both attract consumers and employees.  The only way to prevent this competition is to gain a monopoly - and practically the only way to do that is to get government help to squelch competition.
Sorry don't take this as an insult (I guarantee it's not meant as such) but I have to call you again naive.
It's easy for them to make you buy products made of wood coming from heavy deforestation in the Amazon, or using metals mined in Ruanda with methods which pollute their environment and reduce the life expectancy of the miners by 30 years, you're too far from that harm to stop buying your nice-looking and competitively priced products. So many happily attracted US and European customers may be killing a few Ruandians a day without having any remorse.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:55

All laws should, in my opinion, be based upon the principles of non-aggression (don't kill, steal, etc) and honesty (do what you have agreed to do).  Many conflicts would fall under the second principle and thus involve contracts instead of universal laws, yes.  The only law governing those contracts is that the people involved must abide by their word.
Say I'm the owner of a piece of land in a beautiful piece of seashore, where already several people have built their nice villas, you are a building and travel-industry investor. You and me agree to build a 20 story appartment building which, incidentally, will block the sunlight and beautiful sea view from the other 200 neighbours.
F*k them off, we are abiding to our legitimate agreement.

Edited by Gerinski - July 15 2013 at 13:27
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:08

Don't ignore the second part of my statement though. Many of those nations DO HAVE powerful governments, in fact TOO powerful governments and too corrupt. What I was saying is that those poor poor countries are neither an example in favour or against libertarianism.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:15
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

See, Dean gets it.  And he's correct that I cannot prove that without legislation we never would have had seat belts in every car.  Neither can the Libertarians prove that if we had a "free market", we would have eventually gotten seat belts in every car either.  All I can do is look at the way things are and the way things have been done in the past and make an assumption as to how to get things done.  And what I've been trying to say when I have said that the burden of proof is on the Libertarians is that I can look at situations like Nader and say "this was the situation, this was what was done, and it worked."  You can do no such thing because there has never been a Libertarian government.  So I am coming from a position that is more grounded in reality than yours, which is why I say the burden of proof is on you.
I do and I don't "get it" - I'd only put the burden of proof on the people making an actual claim, I can't paraphrase a claim then foist them with the burden of proof for a claim they didn't make (...) Seat belt legislation resulted in seat belts becoming standard - and that is the only conclusion you can draw from that. I could speculate that they would have become standard through the "free market" eventually, however, I suspect there would still be some car companies who would provide them as optional extras and some maverick's who wouldn't provide them at all ("Buy the new Dodge De'ath and we'll guarantee that in an accident the last thing to go through your mind will be your ass!"). The only 99.9% surefire guess you can make is that legislation made it happen sooner (and that is regarded by me as "a good thing"). A better example maybe air-bags, but even that is mixed with some countries making them mandatory and other's not, and even then the adoption of air-bags as standard was not achieved through direct market forces, but by non-regulatory safety assessments (eg Euro NCAP). If the "free market" could respond quicker than the lobbiests then we might be in a better position to make such comparisons, unfortunately even with the pedestrian speed of government, legislation can be proposed, debated and voted into law far quicker than any market force acting upon a free market to affect a change.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:18

^^I already told you I was through arguing with you Geoff but I would like to make one thing clear: I do NOT think there should be no government and I do NOT think that government is inherently evil.

I think that there should be less (much, much less) government and that government has a natural and unavoidable tendency to become corrupt, which I why I want to strictly limit it.

Ok, so back to my original story of the two gents in the car - you're the one pulling pieces out of the engine because you believe in small engines.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:26
^ You see, to continue with the engine analogy: if someone were to show me a tank's engine, I might say it looks rather large, because I'm used to looking at the engine of my compact car.   But then he might tell me it's actually quite small... for a tank.
Saying you believe in "small government" is meaningless.   And it's dangerous to base policy decisions on such a belief.   Base policy decisions on the same sort of thought process an engineer would go through as he tries to improve an engine, and your decisions will be much more reasonable.

Edited by dtguitarfan - July 15 2013 at 13:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:34

Sorry don't take this as an insult (I guarantee it's not meant as such) but I have to call you again naive.
It's easy for them to make you buy products made of wood coming from heavy deforestation in the Amazon, or using metals mined in Ruanda with methods which pollute their environment and reduce the life expectancy of the miners by 30 years, you're too far from that harm to stop buying your nice-looking and competitively priced products. So many happily attracted US and European customers may be killing a few Ruandians a day without having any remorse.

If someone has property in the Amazon, isn't it their right to cut trees down?  I'm not sure how the Rwandian example is relevant, either - of course I don't think it's right for a company to harm their workers, although if they were to make prospective employees aware of the risks entailed in the job and they agreed to work for them anyway, then I would have no problem with the arrangement as it would have been honest and agreed upon by both sides. 

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:35
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Can you just tell me exactly what you mean? Your analogies are really confusing me.

There are people in this country who are in positions of political power who believe that government itself is immoral.  And certain people in this thread believe in the same idea.

It's one thing to hate OUR government.  It's one thing to say OUR government has screwed up, and then to do your best to figure out just how that happened and what we can do about it.  But to believe that governing, in and of itself, is immoral - that's incredibly problematic.  And you can imagine people like myself feeling like the gentleman in the car watching the fellow passenger (who believes internal combustion engines are immoral) tear pieces out of the engine as it hurtles down the highway.

And to me you seem like the person slamming his foot on the gas as the car is headed for a cliff.

I don't believe that governing is immoral. I believe that a State is immoral. It's completely different.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

If the "free market" could respond quicker than the lobbiests then we might be in a better position to make such comparisons, unfortunately even with the pedestrian speed of government, legislation can be proposed, debated and voted into law far quicker than any market force acting upon a free market to affect a change.

Don't know about that.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:42

If someone has property in the Amazon, isn't it their right to cut trees down? 

No it's not, if doing so is acknowledged as causing harm to the rest of the population.

I'm not sure how the Rwandian example is relevant, either - of course I don't think it's right for a company to harm their workers, although if they were to make prospective employees aware of the risks entailed in the job and they agreed to work for them anyway, then I would have no problem with the arrangement as it would have been honest and agreed upon by both sides. 
I'm not going to attempt to answer on this one, that educated people in civilized countries can still think like this makes me wonder in which kind of society have we evolved... and I think that libertarian principles have a lot to do with it Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:47

If someone has property in the Amazon, isn't it their right to cut trees down? 

No it's not, if doing so is acknowledged as causing harm to the rest of the population.

What do you mean by "harm"?

I'm not sure how the Rwandian example is relevant, either - of course I don't think it's right for a company to harm their workers, although if they were to make prospective employees aware of the risks entailed in the job and they agreed to work for them anyway, then I would have no problem with the arrangement as it would have been honest and agreed upon by both sides. 
I'm not going to attempt to answer on this one, that educated people in civilized countries can still think like this makes me wonder in which kind of society have we evolved... and I think that libertarian principles have a lot to do with it Confused

If someone applies for a dangerous construction job, and he is informed of the risks and decides to take the job anyway, and dies on the job, did the company kill him?  Is the person who commissioned the company responsible for his death?

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - July 15 2013 at 13:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:53

If someone applies for a dangerous construction job, and he is informed of the risks and decides to take the job anyway, and dies on the job, did the company kill him?  Is the person who commissioned the company responsible for his death?

If this person has looked around at all the construction jobs within 50 miles and they are all just as dangerous as that construction job, because the companies are too damn greedy to provide a safe working environment and the government hasn't forced them to, is it a free market?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 14:00
No. It's a non sequitur 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 14:28

And to me you seem like the person slamming his foot on the gas as the car is headed for a cliff.

Your belief that we are headed for a cliff is based on an Excel spreadsheet error.

So stop tearing pieces out of the car's engine.

Edited by dtguitarfan - July 15 2013 at 14:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 294>