Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 294>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:15
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Single payer.  Let's just get it over with.  

Sure- if you're happy with how all the other federal agencies are run. 

We talk about health care as though it's "you either have it or you don't."  Just because I have insurance and see a doctor doesn't mean my health is cared for.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:40
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

We talk about health care as though it's "you either have it or you don't."  Just because I have insurance and see a doctor doesn't mean my health is cared for.

You have a much better chance though than if you have no access to insurance or a doctor. Or if you have to go bankrupt to be able to see one or have treatment. 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:44
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

You have a much better chance though than if you have no access to insurance or a doctor. Or if you have to go bankrupt to be able to see one or have treatment. 

I believe you have a much better chance in a free market.  Even with insurance, I'd still have to go bankrupt for a major procedure / hospital stay (I cannot afford a 30% copay + deductible on a $100,000 bill).

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:44
It doesn't matter anyway.  I or my children will live through the era when America's debt has reached a critical mass and programs don't get funded.

Because no matter how much the free market is hated within the US, there's still the global market.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:51

I believe you have a much better chance in a free market.  Even with insurance, I'd still have to go bankrupt for a major procedure / hospital stay (I cannot afford a 30% copay + deductible on a $100,000 bill).

Single payer means you don't have either of those.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:52
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

But someone does.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:56

But someone does.

We all do, in some sense.

I don't want anyone to either not get treated or go bankrupt just because they got sick.  Whatever can accomplish this is something I could possibly support.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:59

I don't want anyone to either not get treated or go bankrupt just because they got sick.  Whatever can accomplish this is something I could possibly support.

I agree with you.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 19:06
Beer

Actually since it's us...

BeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeer
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 19:15

Beer

Actually since it's us...

BeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeer

No one should ever be thirsty either.  Beer
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 19:43
Hi PA libertarians, I'm back.  Got burnt out on discussing politics for a while but a good discussion with my composition teacher, Dr. Sharpe, after my lesson today got my mind back in gear Smile.

The solution to the healthcare problem is rather simple, actually.  Make each person legally responsible for the economic burden of healthcare upon his (extended) family members.  This isn't that far from basic child protection laws that require parents to take care of their kids.  It just extends it the opposite way - as well as brother/sister to brother/sister, grandchild to grandparent (and vice versa) etc.  No one would be required to pay for anyone's health care except for the people who they have a natural obligation to.  Unless someone had no close relatives with financial means, they could easily get at least some healthcare assistance, leaving a much smaller problem for private charities to take care of.  We could eliminate or at least drastically scale down medicare and medicaid.  It wouldn't be perfect obviously but it sounds better to me than either Obamacare or what we had before.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 19:52

I don't always trust the content of the articles on this website but this series of charts paint a sorry picture of the US' health care system which some (especially Republicans) don't want to touch. 

I don't deny that there are problems in our healthcare system but what I get out of a lot of that isn't really "the free market is making healthcare expensive and crappy" but "Americans are fat and lazy and don't care about their health."  But of course, a lot of the nutrition problems in this country are a result of poverty so for some people it really is a vicious cycle. 

The article doesn't really prove its point to me, though.  It claims to tell us why healthcare is expensive, and then proceeds to reiterate that healthcare is expensive.  It definitely doesn't prove that the prices are a result of the free market, as the government already is extremely involved in healthcare.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 19:56
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Hi PA libertarians, I'm back.  Got burnt out on discussing politics for a while but a good discussion with my composition teacher, Dr. Sharpe, after my lesson today got my mind back in gear Smile.

The solution to the healthcare problem is rather simple, actually.  Make each person legally responsible for the economic burden of healthcare upon his (extended) family members.  This isn't that far from basic child protection laws that require parents to take care of their kids.  It just extends it the opposite way - as well as brother/sister to brother/sister, grandchild to grandparent (and vice versa) etc.  No one would be required to pay for anyone's health care except for the people who they have a natural obligation to.  Unless someone had no close relatives with financial means, they could easily get at least some healthcare assistance, leaving a much smaller problem for private charities to take care of.  We could eliminate or at least drastically scale down medicare and medicaid.  It wouldn't be perfect obviously but it sounds better to me than either Obamacare or what we had before.

I prefer single-payer. It wouldn't be perfect of course but it will cover more people than this interesting idea. Many people have no relatives that can financially take care of them, and private charities are too uncertain. They can't cover everybody everywhere. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 19:59

I don't always trust the content of the articles on this website but this series of charts paint a sorry picture of the US' health care system which some (especially Republicans) don't want to touch. 

I don't deny that there are problems in our healthcare system but what I get out of a lot of that isn't really "the free market is making healthcare expensive and crappy" but "Americans are fat and lazy and don't care about their health."  But of course, a lot of the nutrition problems in this country are a result of poverty so for some people it really is a vicious cycle. 

The article doesn't really prove its point to me, though.  It claims to tell us why healthcare is expensive, and then proceeds to reiterate that healthcare is expensive.  It definitely doesn't prove that the prices are a result of the free market, as the government already is extremely involved in healthcare.
The charts give some indication at least of how the US health care system fares in comparison to other developed nations. I didn't really link to it as a critique of the free market, of which in health care we have not much of a semblance of, though it can be argued that it is much "freer" a markey than in most other developed countries, with far worse results. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:45

This is a mess of an idea.  A Libertarian isn't for making people legally responsible for the decisions of other adults.

Your broke brother attempts to kill himself, and that makes you responsible for the costs of his healthcare?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:48

Doesn't bode too well for orphans, single parents, divorcées, or those with one or two generations of elderly relatives who simply refuse to die in a timely fashion, or those families with genetic disorders (it's starting to pong of eugenics already), or those that suffer a tragic accident such as a house-fire or more than one person gets sick at the same time, or any family with disabled dependants, or those rendered incapacitated and/or incapable by the negligence of others. It also favours those families with "just the right number" of kids - if you have too many kids you cannot afford to keep them alive, if you have too few they wouldn't be able to afford to look after you or each other in later life; and since larger families have tendancy to be in the poorer demographics it also looking a just little elitist. This is without considering same-sex families, outcasts and other forms of estrangement, such as refugees.

To continue my previous train of thought. Health care isn't an obligation either, natural or otherwise. And there isn't a western country that "cannot afford" universal health care.

Edited by Dean - October 03 2013 at 20:50
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:50

I prefer single-payer. It wouldn't be perfect of course but it will cover more people than this interesting idea. Many people have no relatives that can financially take care of them, and private charities are too uncertain. They can't cover everybody everywhere. 

Well, I think it is unjust to force taxpayers to fund other people's healthcare (and "single-payer" is a misnomer, what it really means is that one entity takes money from everyone to fund healthcare, would be better named "everyone-payer") but we've been over that many times in this thread.

I support this idea because I see it as the best mix of the principle and the practical.  No system is going to be perfect, but this would get a lot more people covered and do it justly.

Besides, the government could pursue other non-coercive methods of economic healthcare support, essentially functioning as a big charity with the ability to fund healthcare costs all over the country.  It could function as a downgraded "single-payer" without the coercive element, and although revenue generated from donations wouldn't be as much as that gained from taxes, it would probably be more than enough to fund healthcare for most Americans if combined with a family-based payer system.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

And there isn't a western country that "cannot afford" universal health care.

I disagree.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:58

This is a mess of an idea.  A Libertarian isn't for making people legally responsible for the decisions of other adults.

Your broke brother attempts to kill himself, and that makes you responsible for the costs of his healthcare?

I would consider myself responsible to support him by whatever means possible, and yes, that would include paying for medical assistance insofar as I was able.  In fact, if he was broke I would consider myself responsible to assist him financially in the first place.

This isn't really a new idea either.  It goes back to ancient societies in which familial piety was one of the most important virtues (especially that of children to parents, as the Bible makes clear was the case in Israel).  It was everyone's duty (at least every male's duty, since those cultures were patriarchal) to honor and support their family.  Leviarite marriage was a part of this, too.  I think that we have lost this idea in today's culture and need to get it back (minus the patriarchal part).  That's one of the big reasons we have stuff like medicare and social security, actually;  the people supported it because it meant they didn't have to take care of their parents anymore. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:58
All of the ideas presented assume that healthcare is inherently expensive.  I contend that it need not be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 294>