FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 09:10
It really was all inevitable.

Especially with Hitler being different from most other leaders, he was the epitome of an ideologue. Fueled largely on his racial beliefs, some on paranoia and power craze. Nothing ever satisfied him, even when he got what wanted.

Truly insane human being, (or possessed by Satan whichever you wanna believe) and compiled a cabinet of lackeys, power driven kiss ups and other extreme idealists. When you really think about it, more disturbing it all was.

Sooooo it looks like we can add Kansas to the list of states that hate America LOL
Wonder if Paul will at least win one state? Maybe a 3 way where he can eek out a victory. He seems pretty popular here in NJ (from like the 20 people I know who like him!)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 09:23
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^The US apparently did know there would be an attack and was waiting for it to happen but didn't get the location right. The Japanese didn't, either. Most historians agree Pearl Harbor didn't accomplish anything for the Japanese Empire since most of the fleet they destroyed was old and none of the real important ships were touched. Also, they didn't really destroy infrastructure like runways to the degree that would've served them better. The lifes lost aside, Pear Harbor was only a minimal problem to the US but quite the perfect, waited-for excuse.

You Cannot Simultaneously Prevent &amp;amp; Prepare for War. - Albert Einstein

We weren't really prepared but when we ramped it up, it really changed things.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 11 2012 at 09:24
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 11:36
Damn I missed an interesting discussion :(
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 11:56
You can still jump in. Let's start by bashing Einstein
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:10
I don't know what the hell is up with these kids today with their clothes and their hair....Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:13
But I love Einstein kinda. Except for that whole writing FDR to begin the Manhattan project thing. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:56
Yes. I understand him being pissed off about the Nazis driving him out of Germany but from there to "let's create a weapon that can obliterate everybody in the world" it's a little too big of a jump...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 13:14
At least he regretted it after being removed from the fear that the Nazis would develop the weapon first. Small consolation to those that died, but there's a big difference between creation and use. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 13:53
True enough.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 17:16
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

But I love Einstein kinda. Except for that whole writing FDR to begin the Manhattan project thing. 

Must be quite a conflict.
And IDK, interesting discussion? Now that Teo has converted and I only post random w**kery, how interesting was everyone agreeing "the government  sucks" really?

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 17:26
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 17:52

At least he regretted it after being removed from the fear that the Nazis would develop the weapon first. Small consolation to those that died, but there's a big difference between creation and use. 

Tell that to the victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. 

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 18:09

Then we recruited some Nazis Embarrassed
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 18:36
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Tell that to the victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. 
Bombs dropped by a democrat! TongueClown
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:01
I can't help but be soft on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as I likely wouldn't be here today, if they hadn't been dropped, as my grandfather would have been sent to storm the Japanese mainland.  I think we all know how that would have gone.

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:05
Yeah, another case of "hindsight is 20/20"  everyone is so smart after the fact!
The atomic bombs were horrific, and the aftermath maybe worse...but the alternative was not very pretty either.
Hate to be so cynical too, but in terms of # of lives lost/overall damage I find it tough to believe the invasion of mainland Japan would've been less than the bombs.

Either way a pretty sh*tty choice and outcome.

No personal connection either, my grandfather was just a mechanic in the war.

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 19:07
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I can't help but be soft on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as I likely wouldn't be here today, if they hadn't been dropped, as my grandfather would have been sent to storm the Japanese mainland.  I think we all know how that would have gone.

My dad was born in '42 but my grandfather was in the service and overseas in the pacific after VJ.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:36
I find WWII an endlessly fascinating topic but I thought this thread was all about the savior

He's stuck to the "we're actually winning" and "forget the numbers we'll have the delegates in the end" tickets and I'll admit, the whole f**kin thing confuses me, so I'll wait and see.
Never thought I'd utter these words in my life but sent out the form to register republicanShocked  ASAP after a primary vote is cast I'll be going to Independent thoughApprove

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 19:49
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:04
Brian
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:04
It's the Oppenheimer Syndrome; if you can do it, you must do it.    As for the Einsteinian/American thinking around the A-Bomb, I imagine most people, conservative or progressive, were fairly convinced that Nazi Germany with or without Hitler would (and as we've now seen from previously suppressed documentation, technically capable of) quite surely capture the World.   Remember the context and the era--  nuclear weapons weren't considered much more than a very, very big explosive, and not the unthinkable monstrosity they became.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:18
Partially necessity, if you get going on WWII I will not stop myselfLOL even if I want to.

As for the primaries, what boggled so many people was why I decided to do it. Seemed simple to me:
It's safe to say Obama is winning the Dem nomination...so why not go to GOP where there's an actual primary going on? Can still vote for whoever in the election. Also, since I kind of like Paul and loathe every other GOPer might as well put my vote there. Thank goodness no one gives a sh*t about NJ and our primary is so late...don't even need to be registered till late May!

I will never be a Republican though, and though it's just a name I'm sick of officially being a DemocratLOL so Independent it will be. It's not a big deal to switch if I ever choose to temporarily. But I guess I've betrayed my fellow liberals and trying to explain any of that usually leads to epic lolstorms, so I just say I want those sweet drugs Paul will make legal. Oh and that only one candidate in the field wants actual change, and his name don't rhyme with Iraq.

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 20:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 294>