Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat did we think of Thick As A Brick 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:29
I personally also like the jazzy drumming more somewhat... sometimes... I think. But yes! I'll give you examples for good modern, jazzy drummers: Keith Abrahms (check out the stuff with Pak, he's probably my favorite drummer), Ches Smith, Frank Grau is a rockier drummer, but he's insane. And also Guy Shechter with Kruzenshtern & Parohod... yeah and more. 

IMO, of course, drummer's are everything. A good drummer can lift an entire record. Also, a bad mixing can ruin one. I won't deny the moments of good songwriting here, as they were plenty, but from the quality of mixing from the stream, the mixing in my opinion lacks energy. But hey, maybe there's still hope, and maybe my initial reaction was too harsh. Maybe I'll even buy the album (maybe).
There be dragons
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:32
I thought the freaking fracking thing only came out next Tuesday. 
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 09:34
Not heard it yet, but... are they seriously going with that album artwork? I get the concept, that it's meant to look like a website, but they could at least go with a website that doesn't look like a shoddily designed Geocities page from over 10 years ago...
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 12:58
I hope Ian hasn't gone and done something dumb here. I've been a Tull fan since the mid 16th century and was kind of dissapointed to see that Aqualung box setfor $181Canadian in the French record store last weekend..  I have to eat too. TAAB 2 ust seems to be a cash cow to me. I dunno. Give me another beer. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 13:45
Well, speaking as someone who only owns one Tull album (Thick As A Brick) and who likes some of the early albums but was never a big fan; I think it sounds pretty darn good.  I can't speak to the production, as I heard it on the Sirius XM "boom box" thing, so not the best sound reproduction (though honestly, I didn't hear any problems).

Obviously, it's lacking that 70's experimental nature and enthusiasm, but I was surprised as just how good it all sounded.  I didn't care for the spoken word parts, but I almost never do for that sort of thing in music anyway.  The vocals were surprisingly good, though obviously not like the old days.

I feel like his making it Thick 2 was a mixed blessing.........if it had just been an Ian solo album with some other title, I probably never would have become interested in hearing what it sounds like.  So in that regard, it actually makes me wonder if I should be hearing some of his other solo stuff, not to mention the many Tull albums I've never heard.  Still, there is no question that this is not in the same league as the original, but I'm not sure what is anyway.  As stated previously, it's hard to top a classic, especially after 40 years.

Edited by infandous - March 27 2012 at 13:47
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 14:10
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

My verdict: great album. Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Obviously didn't compare to the 1st, but complaining about that is just plain silly.

Considering how well some bands have been aging (PRESENT, VDGG, LE ORME, PRESENT, THINKING PLAGUE, HTM through OBLIVION SUN), it is reasonable and not silly to complain about how badly (or not so well) other bands do.
Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

I personally also like the jazzy drumming more somewhat... sometimes... I think. But yes! I'll give you examples for good modern, jazzy drummers: Keith Abrahms (check out the stuff with Pak, he's probably my favorite drummer), Ches Smith, Frank Grau is a rockier drummer, but he's insane. And also Guy Shechter with Kruzenshtern & Parohod... yeah and more.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out! Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 16:01
It's not bad. If you don't mind Ian living in the early '70s in his mind, you might like it. It's a good clone of the TAAB sound, and I haven't heard anything "wrong" with it. Nothing outstanding either, though. 
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 16:27
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

My verdict: great album. Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Obviously didn't compare to the 1st, but complaining about that is just plain silly.

Considering how well some bands have been aging (PRESENT, VDGG, LE ORME, PRESENT, THINKING PLAGUE, HTM through OBLIVION SUN), it is reasonable and not silly to complain about how badly (or not so well) other bands do.

None of those bands have anything as highly regarded as TaaB. And you think new VdGG is comparable to Pawn Hearts? If anyone expected TaaB2 to be as highly regarded and brilliant as the 1st, then that's just silly. Complaining because a band didn't match the quality of their top 5 album on progarchives many years later is just a silly thing to do.
Gazoinks View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 16:29
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, speaking as someone who only owns one Tull album (Thick As A Brick) and who likes some of the early albums but was never a big fan; I think it sounds pretty darn good.  I can't speak to the production, as I heard it on the Sirius XM "boom box" thing, so not the best sound reproduction (though honestly, I didn't hear any problems).

Obviously, it's lacking that 70's experimental nature and enthusiasm, but I was surprised as just how good it all sounded.  I didn't care for the spoken word parts, but I almost never do for that sort of thing in music anyway.  The vocals were surprisingly good, though obviously not like the old days.

I feel like his making it Thick 2 was a mixed blessing.........if it had just been an Ian solo album with some other title, I probably never would have become interested in hearing what it sounds like.  So in that regard, it actually makes me wonder if I should be hearing some of his other solo stuff, not to mention the many Tull albums I've never heard.  Still, there is no question that this is not in the same league as the original, but I'm not sure what is anyway.  As stated previously, it's hard to top a classic, especially after 40 years.
This, except for the part about not being a Tull fan and not liking the spoken word. ;)
Play me my song...
Newest discovery: Shadow Circus
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 16:33

None of those bands have anything as highly regarded as TaaB. And you think new VdGG is comparable to Pawn Hearts? If anyone expected TaaB2 to be as highly regarded and brilliant as the 1st, then that's just silly. Complaining because a band didn't match the quality of their top 5 album on progarchives many years later is just a silly thing to do.

True. 

But Pawn Hearts is better than TAAB.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 17:32
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

True. 

Of course, NOT, IMHO.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 17:51

True. 

Being a huge VdGG fanboy, I have to agree. LOL But I'm going more consensus here.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by Gazoinks Gazoinks wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, speaking as someone who only owns one Tull album (Thick As A Brick) and who likes some of the early albums but was never a big fan; I think it sounds pretty darn good.  I can't speak to the production, as I heard it on the Sirius XM "boom box" thing, so not the best sound reproduction (though honestly, I didn't hear any problems).Obviously, it's lacking that 70's experimental nature and enthusiasm, but I was surprised as just how good it all sounded.  I didn't care for the spoken word parts, but I almost never do for that sort of thing in music anyway.  The vocals were surprisingly good, though obviously not like the old days.I feel like his making it Thick 2 was a mixed blessing.........if it had just been an Ian solo album with some other title, I probably never would have become interested in hearing what it sounds like.  So in that regard, it actually makes me wonder if I should be hearing some of his other solo stuff, not to mention the many Tull albums I've never heard.  Still, there is no question that this is not in the same league as the original, but I'm not sure what is anyway.  As stated previously, it's hard to top a classic, especially after 40 years.

This, except for the part about not being a Tull fan and not liking the spoken word. ;)

I love the spoken word part, but then I'm a sucker for wordplay. Hence why I love "The Hare" so much.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Gazoinks View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:39
Yeah, same here.  The hare is awesome, have you seen the animation?
Play me my song...
Newest discovery: Shadow Circus
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 22:44
Yeah I love the hare too.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 23:08
I love the Hare as well, but for me the wordplay was all pretty bad here...
There be dragons
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 07:39
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

True. 

Of course, NOT, IMHO.

This.  I love VDGG, and Pawn Hearts is one of my favorite albums of all time.........but the original Thick is better (IMO, of course).

Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 08:26
Originally posted by Gazoinks Gazoinks wrote:

Yeah, same here.  The hare is awesome, have you seen the animation?

No, but I've seen the video they filmed for the tour. Hilarious!
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 08:28
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

I love the Hare as well, but for me the wordplay was all pretty bad here...

I guess that depends on what your definition of 'bad' is. A lot of people think puns are bad, but I happen to find them to be fun. Perhaps its the inner writer in me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>