Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat did we think of Thick As A Brick 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 09:48
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Not heard it yet, but... are they seriously going with that album artwork? I get the concept, that it's meant to look like a website, but they could at least go with a website that doesn't look like a shoddily designed Geocities page from over 10 years ago...

This.
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 11:13
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

My verdict: great album. Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Obviously didn't compare to the 1st, but complaining about that is just plain silly.

Considering how well some bands have been aging (UNIVERS ZERO, VDGG, LE ORME, PRESENT, THINKING PLAGUE, HTM through OBLIVION SUN), it is reasonable and not silly to complain about how badly (or not so well) other bands do.

None of those bands have anything as highly regarded as TaaB. And you think new VdGG is comparable to Pawn Hearts? If anyone expected TaaB2 to be as highly regarded and brilliant as the 1st, then that's just silly. Complaining because a band didn't match the quality of their top 5 album on progarchives many years later is just a silly thing to do.

But again, Ian Anderson himself opened the Pandora's box of comparisons when he started the writing and recording of this TAAB sequel: comparisons are very natural, and in fact, an imporant elements of human reasoning. In terms of "being regarded", let us just say that regarding is a merely personal, subjective thing. Pendragon and Kayak are more jhighly regarded than HTM, Art Zoyd or Hands, and I totally disagree with that, but that's only my personal view. And definitely, I wouldn't disregard albums such as Pawn Hearts, Still Life, Felona e Sorona, Present, Heresie so gladly... but again...

Plus, the point of who made better albums back in the 70s is not as relevant here as the fact that one album was made in teh classic old age of the 70s (TAAB) and the sequel in the present times: so, the parallel with other bands that continued to move on and kept in better shape felt liek a natural reflection. I won't regard myself more smarter or more intelligent than others for following this line of thought, so I will appreciate it if no one said that this is a silly thing to say and think. "Thick As A Brick" happens to be my all-time fave prog album, but that is something very collateral to what I posted in this very thread.

That's all I'm saying, and I will say no more about thsi subject since some of my PA fellows use words such as "silly".

Kind regards.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 11:29

My verdict: great album. Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Obviously didn't compare to the 1st, but complaining about that is just plain silly.

Considering how well some bands have been aging (UNIVERS ZERO, VDGG, LE ORME, PRESENT, THINKING PLAGUE, HTM through OBLIVION SUN), it is reasonable and not silly to complain about how badly (or not so well) other bands do.

None of those bands have anything as highly regarded as TaaB. And you think new VdGG is comparable to Pawn Hearts? If anyone expected TaaB2 to be as highly regarded and brilliant as the 1st, then that's just silly. Complaining because a band didn't match the quality of their top 5 album on progarchives many years later is just a silly thing to do.

But again, Ian Anderson himself opened the Pandora's box of comparisons when he started the writing and recording of this TAAB sequel: comparisons are very natural, and in fact, an imporant elements of human reasoning. In terms of "being regarded", let us just say that regarding is a merely personal, subjective thing. Pendragon and Kayak are more jhighly regarded than HTM, Art Zoyd or Hands, and I totally disagree with that, but that's only my personal view. And definitely, I wouldn't disregard albums such as Pawn Hearts, Still Life, Felona e Sorona, Present, Heresie so gladly... but again...

Plus, the point of who made better albums back in the 70s is not as relevant here as the fact that one album was made in teh classic old age of the 70s (TAAB) and the sequel in the present times: so, the parallel with other bands that continued to move on and kept in better shape felt liek a natural reflection. I won't regard myself more smarter or more intelligent than others for following this line of thought, so I will appreciate it if no one said that this is a silly thing to say and think. "Thick As A Brick" happens to be my all-time fave prog album, but that is something very collateral to what I posted in this very thread.

That's all I'm saying, and I will say no more about thsi subject since some of my PA fellows use words such as "silly".

Kind regards.

Absolutely.  There is no reason NOT to compare this album to it's predecessor and other bands of that time that are still making good music.  If it wasn't called TAAB 2, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Not heard it yet, but... are they seriously going with that album artwork? I get the concept, that it's meant to look like a website, but they could at least go with a website that doesn't look like a shoddily designed Geocities page from over 10 years ago...

I think that it's part of the joke - this is supposed to look like a Dreamweaver 4 template, this time making fun of rural community websites. Like newspaper, like website.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 14:20

Where can I download (legally, of course) the album?

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 14:21
Yeah, I already had this conversation, about whether the unsophisticated and lame nature of the website is deliberate. It could be, but it also might not be, it's hard to tell.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 12:31
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Kind regards.

Absolutely.  There is no reason NOT to compare this album to it's predecessor and other bands of that time that are still making good music.  If it wasn't called TAAB 2, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.
So you expected it to be as good/better than Thick as a Brick? Okay.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 14:27

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Kind regards.

So you expected it to be as good/better than Thick as a Brick? Okay.
There's a difference between comparing it with TAAB and complaining about it not beeing as good as its predecessor. I've seen a lot of comparing of the two albums in this thread and in other threads about this subject. Heck, even you're comparing the two albums, Jordan, by saying they don't compare. But who's complaining about the difference in quality between the two albums? There's very little of that going on in these TAAB2-threads IMO.

But there is comparing, and that was inevitable, since Anderson chose the name TAAB2 for this project, which was something he didn't have to do, and probably shouldn't have done. It gave the album a lot of PR it wouldn't have got with a name which doesn't automatically make you think about one of Tull's most endeared works, but it also made it impossible not to compare it with the original TAAB, which in turn makes it impossible to judge the new album totally on its own merits.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - March 30 2012 at 14:41
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 03:19
I do suspect Ian of doing a cash grab here. He knew very well the album would sell better and generate more press with this name. He should have called it something else, anything else and then said in interviews that it was a revisitation of themese and concepts on Thick As A Brick.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 03:27
It's a bit sad to note how the media circus around this album release that I expected just doesn't seem to be eventuating though. It makes me wonder if it's a reflection of that fact that people just don't care about Jethro Tull anymore or whether prog is so far under the radar now that even a sequel album to one of the biggest selling albums by what was one of the world's biggest bands circa 71-73 doesn't even warrant a mention. Remember, TAAB isn't some nerdy beard-stroking obscurity, it was literally a number one album. But no, no one seems to give a sh*t.

If David Gilmour or Roger Waters suddenly popped out Dark Side Of The Moon 2, that would probably fare a little better in this regard but I thought TAAB would be a bigger deal to the industry than it apparently is.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 04:46
I hope it comes out with TAAB 1 as i would love to see the packaging for both 1 and 2.

well I have no opinion yet but it wont top TAAB1 surely. thats a treasure.
Gentlegiantprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 06:11
On my first listen I was really skeptical.
After reading all the lyrics and watching the DVD, all subsequent listens have been more enjoyable and it grew on me a lot.

Its like Dot Com era Tull, only with most of the bad parts taken out.
It sure isn't a good sequel to TAAB, because it sounds more like Chateaux D'istaster and Heavy Horses at times than TAAB, but it grew on me a heck of a lot, and I think I'd rate it as the best Tull album (I'm pretending its a Tull album from now on, its Tull in my iTunes and on my CD shelf) since Broadswoard.

I expected to hate it, it was just bland. Now its grown on me an awful lot and I actually think its very good.
Let the maps of war be drawn !

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Gentlegiantprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 06:14
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I do suspect Ian of doing a cash grab here. He knew very well the album would sell better and generate more press with this name. He should have called it something else, anything else and then said in interviews that it was a revisitation of themese and concepts on Thick As A Brick.

You'd imagine the album was just called 'Whatever Happened To Gerald Bostock' and then the money-people made him change it to 'Thick As A Brick 2' so he added in a few more TAAB moments.
Let the maps of war be drawn !

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 06:21
Just listening to the cd now, sounding good to me, sure its a cash cow for Anderson but i don't care, good luck to him and anyone who finds it enjoyableSmile
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 06:52
I am into this - listening now! Nice flute trhroughout, good narrative from Ian and he sounds amazing vocally on singing. Nice to hear him sing "Thick as a Brick" at the beginning. Love Barre's guitar work here. A heavier guitar. Banker Bets and Banker wins is one of the best tracks for years from the mighty Tull. The instrumental are great. The narrative is very prominent on the album like on Passion Play. There is a storyteller style for sure. I am up to about the 10th track on first listen and it is terrific. Better than I thought it would be so thats a good thing. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:12
Wow I love track 7 Adrift and Dumbfounded. Very progressive, heavy, great keys and awesome guitar. Anderson on fire - This is a classic track. Listening to it 5 times in a row...
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:26
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Love Barre's guitar work here. 
Martin Barre doesn't play on the album; he left to pursue some solo projects last year. 28 year old Florian Opahle from Germany is the guitarist. He has been playing in Ian Anderson's solo band for years.
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:29

I have pre-ordered the CD+DVD special edition. I hope I get it soon. I'm getting very excited by all the positive comments.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:50
Originally posted by Adams Bolero Adams Bolero wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Love Barre's guitar work here. 
Martin Barre doesn't play on the album; he left to pursue some solo projects last year. 28 year old Florian Opahle from Germany is the guitarist. He has been playing in Ian Anderson's solo band for years.

Dang, I forgot that. Better check the details of this. Though I like just listening to it at this point a few times.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:54
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I have pre-ordered the CD+DVD special edition. I hope I get it soon. I'm getting very excited by all the positive comments.

yeah its pretty good for my tastes.

The tracks are great

1.    "From A Pebble Thrown"

2.    "Pebbles Instrumental"

3.    "Might-have-beens"

4.    "Upper Sixth Loan Shark"

5.    "Banker Bets, Banker Wins"

6.    "Swing It Far"

7.    "Adrift And Dumfounded"

8.    "Old School Song"

9.    "Wootton Bassett Town"

10. "Power And Spirit"

11. "Give Till It Hurts"

12. "Cosy Corner"

13. "Shunt And Shuffle"

14. "A Change Of Horses"

15. "Confessional"

16. "Kismet In Suburbia"

17. "What-ifs, Maybes And Might-have-beens"

The extra DVD is okay though could have been better. 

1.    5.1 Surround Sound of entire album  - good if you have decent sound equipment

2.    The making of the album (25 minutes of kanoodling in the studio. Nice bright visuals and Anderson enjoying himself).

3.    Interview with Ian Anderson talking about the album - here we go again but he sounds enthusiastic

4.    Interview with Steven Wilson - the man himself

5.    Lyric reading (25 minutes of rambling

6.    Artwork of the album

Thats about it! Get it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>