Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Going to see Greg Lake w/VIP pass. What to do! :P
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGoing to see Greg Lake w/VIP pass. What to do! :P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going to see Greg Lake w/VIP pass. What to do! :P
    Posted: April 02 2012 at 23:03
Hello!

My friends and I have VIP passes to see Greg Lake. What should I have him sign?!
...all around, all around, all around, all around...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 23:39
several pies

Edited by Triceratopsoil - April 03 2012 at 00:28
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 23:56
A bottle of bourbon
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 00:03
An extra-large pizza.  
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 00:09
Get him a ladder
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 01:11
Two fat jokes, an alcoholic joke, and a bad lyric joke in just the first four replies. Forum redeemed?

An abused stray dog.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 01:12
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Two fat jokes

To be fair, mine was a homosexual joke before I changed it to something in "better taste" (get it? pie? tastes good k)
DomValela View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 08:56
Well thanks, folks. Was it really such an unreasonable question? :P 
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by DomValela DomValela wrote:

Hello!

My friends and I have VIP passes to see Greg Lake. What should I have him sign?!

Hi Dom,Smile

Nice to meet you.  Even though I steal Lupins(flowers) for a living I am always quite serious about YES-ELP-Genesis.

I am going to see Greg Lake as well in a few weeks. I met him in the early nineties after an ELP show and he was very
gracious and answered several questions I asked him, mostly about the tunings of his guitar on his ELP ballads
(he just tunes the low E down to D, no other strings, he said...)  So I can now play, Still... & C'est La Vie, perfect! Tongue

This forum, like most others, is not a good place for serious answers, but you gotta admit your question did leave
you "vulnerable" a bit. Wink

Whatever you want him to sign, bring with you a brand new Sharpie, and don't let someboody in the crowd "borrow" it first, as you will never get it back!

Greg & Keith were going to tour but Keith got gravely ill, so now we have just Greg on tour, but I am still happy to be able to see him.  Tickets were 40 something dollars at a very intimate old theatre, so that is cool, as far as concerts go.

-Edit-

Dude!

I see you are Canadian. Smile     Cool!   NHL Hockey rules!   RUSH Rules!!!!!!    SCTV Rules!!!!

Canada is cool.Cool

Edited by dennismoore - April 03 2012 at 09:13
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 09:19

Well thanks, folks. Was it really such an unreasonable question? :P 

No, you've just been so unlucky to find connected only people in vein of joking.
I'd go for an original first edition vinyl copy of In The Court or of the ELP debut.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 09:52
Signed VIP passes are rather cool.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 13:33

Hello!

I would prefer to have a nice afternoon/evening just saying hello and enjoy life and a nice conversation.

I spent time with Gong and had a lot of fun with them, and going to Fred Meyer's to get some Halloween stuff for Gilly and such ... and in the end that's more fun than something autographed. The having fun with the person was more important to me ... and the pictures I took ... than the "star" ...

If I had a chance I would like to talk to Greg about his voicings in the early days that were more about acting and poetry than they were about "singing" ... and see what he would like to talk about.  To me, things like "... don't tell me lies ..." is not about singing ... it's about telling you ... damn it! And I think that is much more important and credible discussion than some 'progressive" ideal.

But that's me ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 13:56
I was going to say a box of doughnuts, but since the fat jokes are already as stale as an antique doughnut here, I'll say a Love Beach LP.

He'd probably appreciate it if you asked him to sign one of his solo albums, or any merchandise being sold at the show. 

For me, I might be thinking about what he could sign which would give it some small extra value when selling it off on eBay  -  I'd be sure not to have him write my name on it, though to Greg from Greg has a ring to it.

If you have any, or can get your hands on any full-size, or should that be megasize?, posters of him, those would be great to have him sign.  Or at least a big, or should that be huge?, picture of him would do.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 14:56

Hello!

a death warrant for several posters on this thread
DomValela View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 22:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hello!

I would prefer to have a nice afternoon/evening just saying hello and enjoy life and a nice conversation.

I spent time with Gong and had a lot of fun with them, and going to Fred Meyer's to get some Halloween stuff for Gilly and such ... and in the end that's more fun than something autographed. The having fun with the person was more important to me ... and the pictures I took ... than the "star" ...

If I had a chance I would like to talk to Greg about his voicings in the early days that were more about acting and poetry than they were about "singing" ... and see what he would like to talk about.  To me, things like "... don't tell me lies ..." is not about singing ... it's about telling you ... damn it! And I think that is much more important and credible discussion than some 'progressive" ideal.

But that's me ...

Absolutely...

It's definitely more about the actual encounter, (at the very least, my friend and I want to ask for tips on playing a few songs live with our band) but I thought that went without saying! I just figured I wanted to have SOME souvenir. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was going to say a box of doughnuts, but since the fat jokes are already as stale as an antique doughnut here, I'll say a Love Beach LP.

He'd probably appreciate it if you asked him to sign one of his solo albums, or any merchandise being sold at the show. 

Then take the first one ... that has those 2 massive anthems in it! ... with Garry Moore just ripping the whole thing like crazy!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 15:19
Yeah we were a bit harsh in the first replies LOL

Now seriously Greg still deserves our appreciation. I have Pictures At An Exhibition signed by Carl Palmer so personally that would be my obvious choice, even if the chances of ever getting Keith's signature on it too would be very remote.
BTW Carl was not too friendly when I asked him to sign, it was on a morning after a Carl Palmer Band show in a german city, I was having breakfast in the hotel and Carl happened to be staying there and came down for breakfast too, I went up to my room to get the album and asked him to sign it while congratulating him for a great show but he was rather harsh, maybe he had not slept well... I forgive him.

Otherwise I guess that indeed asking him to sign some of his solo stuff such as the album with Gary Moore would please him, he must appreciate some recognition for his work besides ELP.

Or some nice picture, like him playing the double neck or the tour truck with his name on the roof.

Edited by Gerinski - April 04 2012 at 15:23
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 16:16
Be sure to bring your own pen!  I recommend a nice, heavy-tip felt-tipped pen.  When I was backstage with Yes at their 35th Anniversary show in Chicago, it came in VERY handy!  

I have the 35th Anniversary Tour booklet signed by all (Anderson, Wakeman, Howe, Squire, White).  Nice keepsake!!  I also have one tee shirt that I forced Steve Howe to sign, he looked like he wanted to vomit!  LOL
DomValela View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 16:20
Yeah, I might go with a picture in the end. But there aren't many of good enough quality to print. :(
DomValela View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 15:29
Ok, well, 

I ended up with a vinyl copy of Pictures at an Exhibition. That's it. :P 

...should I try to have him sign the cover or the gatefold? 
 Post Reply Post Reply