FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVdGG Withdrawal symptoms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: VdGG Withdrawal symptoms
    Posted: July 12 2005 at 09:35

Coming back down to Earth after following VdGG around England this weekend.

Friday - Shepherds Bush, London

(Darkness, Undercover/Scorched Earth, Bloody Emperor, Lemmings, Las Rossa, Childlike Faith, Killer, Sleepwalkers, Nutter Alert, Man-erg Encore: Refugees, Theme One)

Started with a minutes silence, to remember the previous day's attrocities in London. Peter Hammill said the show must go on and it did. First time I have seen them in a venue where you stand and managed to get in the front row. Sound was not good, but great view of the band. Highlights were Man-erg, theme-one and seeing PH singing within a plectrum in his mouth whilst scratching his arse! 

This show was recorded with video cameras at the front. I have to hope they edit out the crowd scenes if it gets released, if not i'm the person at the front in the white t-shirt bouncing around with a stupid grin on my face.

Saturday - DeMontford Hall, Leicester

(Undercover/scorched Earth, Bloody Emperor, Black room, When she comes, Still Life, Masks, Childlike Faith, Sleepwalkers, Nutter Alert, Man-erg Encore: Lemmings, Wondering)

Brilliant show, sound was fantastic, David Jackson was on fabulous form and PH got almost all the lyrics right! Highlight was 'Still Life', an incredibly emotional moment.

Sunday - Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool

(Darkness, Undercover/Scorched Earth, Every Bloody Emporer, Lemmings, When She comes, Childlike Faith, Sleepwalkers, Black Room, Nutter Alert, Man-erg, Encore: Killer, Wondering)

Seemed to start a bit slowly but really got going for me by 'When She Comes', a superb version. Jackson again on incredible form. Marvelled at Hugh Banton, legs moving all over the place playing bass pedals.

They are just getting better all the time. It is hard to believe they can produce such an amazing sound and so obviously enjoy playing together. I've seen all six of their shows and now have to face the prospect of not seeing them again  this tour (that is unless I want to get divorced).

I hope you guys who catch the remaining shows enjoy seeing them as much as I have. At this rate the final show in Amsterdam should be incredible. 

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Hammill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 10:10
i can't wait to watch them in Greece on the 21st of July....they will play with porcupine tree ()...and the case is that vdgg will open for PT!!!!!!!!
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 13:10
I was at the Shepherds Bush show too, what was up with the sound there?  I'm hoping it was the venue and not the mixing desk.  I could barely hear Peter's singing, except on the quiet parts.  It kind of took a way some of the joy for me, which is a shame, as it is the only time I shall get to see them (unless they do more concerts next year!).  I was sat at the front of the level 2 seated section next to Jim Christopulos of all people, hehe.

Highlights for me were _The Sleepwalkers_, _Childlike Faith in Childhood's End_ and _Man-Erg_.  Amazing performance.

If only I had a chance to hear them where there was a better sound.  I have managed to hear the RFH gig on CD (I shall be buying the official release later this year) and that is an amazing gig and much better sound.

I did notice the cameras, but due to the poor sound, I'm not sure what they get out of it...

Oh and NutterAlert, if you were one of the guys wearing your self-made Nutter Alert t-shirts, then I saw you.  A group of you were shouting up at me at one time, I think you were trying to get me to get your Canadian friend to notice you.  If that wasn't you, then oh well.

James.

Edited by Geck0
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 15:59

What can I say? Amsterdam and Van der Graaf: I can't wait!!!

Aders Cogsy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 07:12
Too right Nutter Alert!

I was lucky enough to catch the gig at the Liverpool Phil and it quite frankly blew me away. I agree it was a little slow to start but it looked like they were enjoying themselves so much and they knew just how appreciative we all were of the chance to finally get to see them. Highlights for me in the main set were Scorched Earth and Sleepwalkers (I'll admit to being a huge fan of 'Godbluff') though all of the other numbers were extremely enjoyable and I was particularly impressed with the seamless way the new material (Every Bloody Emperor and Nutter Alert) fit in with the rest of the show. Unbelievable when you consider the time-gap.

However, when they came back on stage for the encore it was clear what people wanted (me included) and boy did they deliver. 'Killer' was belted out with such a verve and force, even PH himself commented how 'energising' it was to play it again, that it blew my socks off. It was staggering! I was listening to 'H to He' earlier and found myself a tad disappointed that the studio version, brilliant though it is, didn't quite bowl me over the way I had been on Sunday. Still, I'll never forget it and for that I've got to be thankful.

Let's hope it's not another three decades before they choose to once again grace the stage with their magnificence but even so there's enough in the piggy bank to purchase the live recording from the RFH which I'm praying has a killer rendition of 'Killer' like the one I witnessed on Sunday.
Regards and Good Listening,

Aders Cogsy.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 07:54

Originally posted by Aders Cogsy Aders Cogsy wrote:

Let's hope it's not another three decades before they choose to once again grace the stage with their magnificence but even so there's enough in the piggy bank to purchase the live recording from the RFH which I'm praying has a killer rendition of 'Killer' like the one I witnessed on Sunday.

I was at the RFH gig, and it was a killer rendition of "Killer"!

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 19:44

The Leicester gig was even better than the RFH gig  - granted I was only three rows from the front this time (rather than much farther back in London), but there was a sense of relaxation and confidence about the band that energised their playing.  They talked and laughed on stage, making mistakes, fooling around, and they seemed so much more natural than their nervous entrance at London.  I was also amazed that they did material NOT played at RFH, as I'd just been on a big diatribe to my friend about how they'd probably play the same set note-for-note.  When they started Still Life, I had to pinch myself, and was utterly gripped throughout until Hammil's final gasp at the end. 

I also preferred the set order this time around - encoring with Lemmings was just a marvellous way to end the evening and left the crowd in raptures of applause.  I thought the choice of 'Wondering' in London, whilst apt, was a bit of an anti-climax.  Lemmings left us drooling at the mouth.  I cannot believe I've SEEN the great VDGG AT ALL, never mind twice in the same year, but Leicester really cemented my love for the band - looking back the RFH show reminds me more of a public appearance - a circus act - rather than a real gig.  Leicester, for me anyway, got much closer to how I imagine they sounded and acted in the 70s.  This was a truly GREAT show - great sound, great songs, great performances...

...it was nice to see the REAL Van Der Graaf Generator - Hammil IS a genius... 

"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 21:07
I wish I had been at one of these latter gigs, due to the sound issue at Shepherds Bush Empire.  Still amazing mind and I agree, pH is a genius (just don't use that word in front of Bob Fripp - about himself of course).

And yes, there are some amazing moments at the R.F.H., Killer being one of them.

The Shepherds Bush version of Nutter Alert though, wow!

Interesting fact: Darkness (11/11) at R.F.H. was actually exactly the same length as the original studio version, 7 minutes 28 seconds.

Refugees at R.F.H. (6.01) was actually shorter than the original (6.22).

A quick question..., how much re-mastering of the R.F.H. gig is likely to be done?  I am hoping they'll keep all the banter and the shouting and cheering for the encore on it.  I know it will take up two discs to do this, so I am hoping they shall show integrity, rather than a quick nip/tuck treatment, that'll mean it'll all be on one disc.  Maybe they can fill up the gap, with some of the better tracks from other concerts, like Shepherds Bush, Leicester, Liverpool and the Italy gigs?  Just a thought.

I don't mind them upping the vocals in certain places and improving the sound.  I am also hoping they captured the audience sound nicely too and it's not all just quiet background noise.

James.
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 16:54

Edited by Wrath_of_Ninian
"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 20:27

Originally posted by Hammill Hammill wrote:

i can't wait to watch them in Greece on the 21st of July....they will play with porcupine tree ()...and the case is that vdgg will open for PT!!!!!!!!

That would be a great show! Porcupine Tree are a great band (although they should open Van der Graaf ) I saw PT live yesterday and it was a very good show!

Vive le Québec libre!...
Hammill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 04:52
Originally posted by Borealis Borealis wrote:

That would be a great show! Porcupine Tree are a great band (although they should open Van der Graaf ) I saw PT live yesterday and it was a very good show!

Well maybe you are right...i am just too furious because vdgg will open for them...and i know that the 90% of the audience will be there for PT......i can't stand their comments ...young greek prog fans only care about what is popular in our days(DT, TOOL, PORCUPINE TREE etc)......i won't accept a bad comment for vdgg or peter hammill (for example look the old man he can't sing etc)...there will be a massacre LoL
Aders Cogsy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 06:40
Many thanks BaldJean for the confirmation that the RFH rendition of 'Killer' was a stormer.

Does anybody have any idea when this live CD from the RFH is likely to be released?
Regards and Good Listening,

Aders Cogsy.
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 08:35

Well maybe you are right...i am just too furious because vdgg will open for them...and i know that the 90% of the audience will be there for PT......i can't stand their comments ...young greek prog fans only care about what is popular in our days(DT, TOOL, PORCUPINE TREE etc)......i won't accept a bad comment for vdgg or peter hammill (for example look the old man he can't sing etc)...there will be a massacre LoL

Heh, I understand that. But, still, you're gonna see the hell of a good show while I'll be in my house in Québec doing nothing...

Vive le Québec libre!...
pedro2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 10:26
I was at the Liverpool show (as I've mentioned elsewhere on this site) and have since heard a bootleg of that gig.  It was a superb recording and hearing it again was just as exciting as it was on the night.  I can't wait to hear the other gigs as and when they find their way into the public domain.
PJ Out
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:05

Unluckilly they didn't visit Finland, and I already had my summer vacations, so I could "take a trip" at Amsterdam to watch them...

Looking from the 1st post, I must admit they had extraordinary selections of songs on their setlists!

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 21:23

Originally posted by Aders Cogsy Aders Cogsy wrote:

Many thanks BaldJean for the confirmation that the RFH rendition of 'Killer' was a stormer.

Does anybody have any idea when this live CD from the RFH is likely to be released?

In about 3 months. Definitely this year.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 01:18
Good news there then BaldJean.  I have a bootleg copy of R.F.H., but would still like the official release nevertheless, as I always prefer an official release.  It will from the mixing desk for starters, so the sound quality will be much better.

Any ideas who will be responsible for the mixing of this CD?  pH?

I hope to see some good liner notes and photos also.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hatfield and the North at the end of September, should be interesting... oh and Gov't Mule at The Astoria on 9th September (my other favourite band who I saw earlier this year and blew me away).  As Gov't Mule are introduced on a couple of their concerts... "prepare to be assimilated".

James.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 05:35
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Good news there then BaldJean.  I have a bootleg copy of R.F.H., but would still like the official release nevertheless, as I always prefer an official release.  It will from the mixing desk for starters, so the sound quality will be much better.

Any ideas who will be responsible for the mixing of this CD?  pH?

I hope to see some good liner notes and photos also.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hatfield and the North at the end of September, should be interesting... oh and Gov't Mule at The Astoria on 9th September (my other favourite band who I saw earlier this year and blew me away).  As Gov't Mule are introduced on a couple of their concerts... "prepare to be assimilated".

James.

Hugh Banton is busy with the mixing, as I lately read on the homepage of PH.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 13:42
Indeed, I hope it will be ready very soon.  I also hope the Leverkusen Jazztage performance gets put on DVD.  Will this likely just be what was shown on German Television, or the whole concert?  Any ideas anyone?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 21:39

I don't think young Greek prog fans are like that, I think they respect good music. If you are talking for 15 year old boys then ok, you may have a point, but that would be the same everywhere. And these popular bands are popular because they deserve it IMO (concerning prog).

I agree that PT should be opening for VDGG... though I have seen them live and they are perfect. I hope you enjoy the show . I haven't watched VDGG on stage though

Edited by aapatsos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>