Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Todd Rundgren. how is he crossover prog when...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTodd Rundgren. how is he crossover prog when...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Todd Rundgren. how is he crossover prog when...
    Posted: April 05 2012 at 04:56
I just skimmed through some Todd Rundgren album reviews, and saw his ratings on this site, and listen to his 71 release Runt: The Ballad of Todd Rundgren, which is ofcourse not the best representative of his prog related state, as Utopia is a pure prog act, but why is he as a solo artist regarded crossoverprog, is his music a mix of prog sensability but with a pop intelegance,. or is it pop music made by a prog artist so then it is more sophisticated and accepted as a pure prog artist,

and here comes the why is  X here when Y, Z and Q is not here, i mean when i listen to an artist like Cat Stevens i hear ALOT more experimentation, mixture of styles, odd chords, escapeisme, different uses of instruments like moog, ARP synths, epics, mix of folk, rock, jazz, world music, greek music,, their is more prog albums then Foreigner in his discogs, alot of the albums before and after Tea for the TIllerman, and Teaser and the Firecat have a nice prog folk sensabilaty, but since he is not from a aclimed prog act he is not even considered prog related, even if some of his work is prog, i mean all the elements which is used to describe an inclusion to ether crossover prog or prog related is fitted with his music if you take yuor time and listen to more then the hits and most popular albums, his albums are very experimental and free-spirited, and close to prog in the vain of Procol Harum,, prog-lite as i would call it, or a original way of making rock music, most of his music is NOT comercial on first listen, not even second listen, i don't know if it would be playd on todays radio, at all, cause it is ether strange, or out there, would Katmandu be ever played on radio f-ex

Alice Cooper is also a artist to question Todds inclution, why is a extremely vital and experimental act as Alice Cooper band and Alice Cooper solo artist not regarded prog and Todd is, i know Cooper is more regarded as a pioneer shock rocker, and glam rock, but he is MUCH more eclectic then any glam rock artist (exept Bowie), jazz, psychadelia, prog, country, heavy prog, concept albums, rock operas, exept his mid 80s pop galm metal and 90s take on industrial metal, most of the output is more out there or similar in what i think Todds contribution to prog, is as a solo artist, in all respect to Todd, but Cooper is equaly as much prog solowise as Todd is,

Elton John is not strictly prog, but after what i heard on the Todd i heard, Elton have alot more interesting packed into one album length then Todd has, much more musicality and vital toying with styles, genres, concept, and an utter search of finding a certain sound, chord or sence to his music, even in his dark ages of the 80s their is those odd, symponic or strange songs where he did not mingle in or tryed to sleep on his lauruls, but his preiode from Empty Sky to Blue Moves cant be less prog related then Todds discog, i know Elton will never be in PA, and i don't loose sleap for him beign not i PA, but how much more "prog" is Todd Rundgrens discography, compared to the level of "prog" which could/can/would be found on Eltons discgoc, i mean the hole catalogue of both, i don't question the teams efforts to add and qualify bands but just wondering if im missing something,

im not arguing if these three artist should be inn PA or be out, just wonder of they are more progressive in theri music compared to Todd Rundgren or even Peter Gabriel solo to widen the spectre, of artist of a famous prog band going solo, i know PG is having some experimental songs and creative songs on his albums, along with more catchy dancebale and humming tunes, but so has Cat Stevens, Elton and Cooper, or an artist who i think is influencial for Gabrial solo, Paul Simon, or a predesesr, mixing of world music and popular music, which both Peter and Simon is (hay two Biblical names Tongue even their last names are biblical Tongue so they must be related )

I just want some itneresting musical analyse here, not a debate on the sites inclusion policy, not just that,, but i just listed three (four with Paul Simon) on artist who had a pedgry of eclectisime, experimentisme, personalitys, which would interest any progger, I love famous musicians who when you really listen to the music find more details and elements which should be apealing to prog fans, and after reading about the musicians as well gains some respect to them, but this is a musician only discusion alos, don't miz persons perosnal life with their musical carear, in this thread, this is to RESPECT the musicians music, and to discuss their MUSIC not their life in media, or such, im interested in that but THAT is not to be taken place in this thread that you can take and discuss in another thread where such topics can be discusse, like politcs, religon threads and such, but not ina music ONLY discussion so please repect that k Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply