Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Gilmour on early Floyd Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Gilmour on early Floyd Albums
    Posted: April 24 2012 at 09:38
As I said before, many artists look back on their early work with disdain.

What surprised me about the interview segments of the 70-74 Genesis box set was that Gabriel seemed to be the only one that still thinks that stuff is any good.  Banks and Rutherford (and even Collins), while not saying it was crap, seemed to have low opinions of that stuff overall.  We all know what Rick Wakeman thinks of Tales as well.

So I think this is pretty common.  In the case of Gilmour, their most popular work by far was Dark Side and after.  It's only natural that they are going to think they "got it right" only after that point since they became filthy rich and had massive success.  Personally, I think they were far more interesting before that.  They were not as good instrumentalists perhaps, but they didn't know "the rules" of writing music, so were able to come up with more interesting and original ideas.  It didn't always work, of course.  I always found a comment by Waters interesting, about AHM, that "it wasn't about anything".  Did it need to be?  Does music have to be "about" something?  Personally, I don't think it does in order to be good or great.

Like I said, once they found their successful "formula", each album was very similar, from Dark Side on.  I don't see many people pointing this out in reviews or on this thread, but there really is a lot of similarity with each album after Dark Side.  It IS a good formula, and I like those albums, I just found them much more "progressive" before that (see what I did there?  Smile )

Edited by infandous - April 24 2012 at 09:39
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 09:29
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

=Though I'd have to say that Summer '69 is the best of side two of that album, Fat Old Sun second.

Summer of '69 is a Pink Floyd song?  Whoa, I never knew that.  The guy's voice doesn't sound like Wright at all! Wink

Heh, you got me.  So I got the year wrong, everyone else knew what I meant Wink
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 08:57
Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma have always been my two favourite albums.  DG is entitled to his opinion, of course, but he's entitled to be wrong.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 06:03
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I got my first real 6-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it til my fingers bled
It was the Summer of 69

Damn I love the Floyd...
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

LOL I see what you did there. Wink Summer of 69 is by Canada's very own Bryan Adams! 

Well Bryan isn't as good as Pink Floyd. I would call Bryan awfulness and Pink Floyd greatness.

And yet Roger Waters thought Bryan was good enough to sing TWO songs during the Wall concert in Berlin.

I knew there had to be a connection! Clap
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 03:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The Ummagumma live album is one of my post played favorites.
I love it too! Astromine domine is fab!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 21:17
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

It was the Summer of 69
Damn I love the Floyd...

LOL I see what you did there. Wink Summer of 69 is by Canada's very own Bryan Adams! 

Well Bryan isn't as good as Pink Floyd. I would call Bryan awfulness and Pink Floyd greatness.

And yet Roger Waters thought Bryan was good enough to sing TWO songs during the Wall concert in Berlin.

Well, for singing those two songs he was more than adequate.
theseeking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 18:38
I agree with him for the most part.  I did start getting really quite interested around echoes.
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 06:39

It was the Summer of 69

Damn I love the Floyd...

Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 20:06
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Soooo, are you looking for agreement or disagreement, or just seeing how people respond?  Artists often have a very different experience of their music than their listeners, which often involving production standards.  He may be commenting on the fact that these recordings did not sound exactly like what he and the rest of the band envisioned. Myself, I do not regard either album as Floyd greats, and agree with him to a certain extent.

I'm looking for both.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 20:04

It was the Summer of 69

Damn I love the Floyd...

Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 19:31
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 18:15
It was the Summer of 69

Damn I love the Floyd...
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 18:03
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

=Though I'd have to say that Summer '69 is the best of side two of that album, Fat Old Sun second.

Summer of '69 is a Pink Floyd song?  Whoa, I never knew that.  The guy's voice doesn't sound like Wright at all! Wink
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 08:05
No, I don't believe most prog is self-indulgent at all.  The difference between later Floyd is that they began to pay more attention to writing good songs AND being experimental within that framework instead of simply trying to be experimental.  Bands like Yes, Genesis, ELP etc became popular because, beneath the long instrumental sections and fanciful lyrics, there were some great songs.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:02
Originally posted by spknoevl spknoevl wrote:

Gotta agree with Gilmour's assessment.  Much of the material is really self-indulgent and pays little interest in actual songwriting.  It's experimental, but alot of it I find unlistenable these days.  Perhaps those albums are a micrcosm of the times:  I liked them back in the days when I was doing drugs

But that's like saying that the majority of progressive stuff is not "self-indulgent" (wouldn't that make for an awesome Keith discussion?)  ...  and distorts the definition of music even further ...  and it makes me feel that there will never be new music anymore, because it can't be self-indulgent, and many of those folks and musicians will have to flick you and I off just to be able to express themselves the way they wanted to do at the time.

David, is looking at yesterday with today's eyes ... and of course things have changed so much since then that he and many others (Neil Young is the exception?) would do it differently ... but then ... I doubt that he would have become the David Gilmour that he is today ... if the time, place and history was changed. The same for Roger and everyone else.

I would think it is obvious that anyone today, would do anything they did then, differently ... the question might be "how" and "what" would they have done different ... but a lot of those answers would likely be trivial in the first place and you still do not have a guarantee that your time and place and future would not have changed ... 

I don't consider any of the "progressive" works "indulgent" and never will. I will consider Ozzie and some of the more blatant popular loud bands as self-indulgent.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 11:42
Gotta agree with Gilmour's assessment.  Much of the material is really self-indulgent and pays little interest in actual songwriting.  It's experimental, but alot of it I find unlistenable these days.  Perhaps those albums are a micrcosm of the times:  I liked them back in the days when I was doing drugs
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 09:28
I would never pretend to know what an artist is thinking or trying to say.......I see and read some of these interviews especially on the PF documentaries and such and I take their comments at face value. If David says they did not like it then I believe they did not like it........Which again is sad when back in those days studio time was precious for a band just getting going, they are not making money and I have to think you always want to put your best foot forward as a young band.

I realize they had a special circumstance with regard to Syd Barrett and probably created just a weird vibe from then on out,
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 08:34
I agree with Gilmours assessment of ATM as I think its just about their worst earlier album. I cant bare most of it apart from Alans Psychedelic Breakfast perhaps, Its a real mess yet gets high ratings constantly.

Ummagumma has a great live section esp Astronomy Domine. The studio stuff is again a mess but its okay as a curio esp the lengthy titled piece ...... grooving with a pict.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 07:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I find his comments actually funny......Almost every interview I have read or seen on TV, the band members usually are beating themselves up. They self criticize more than any artist I know, but I always see this smurk on their faces whilst they talk......Like saying "ahhh were just joshing you...".
If he is 100% being truthful, then that is too bad that he did not have a good time doing these records, and maybe back then they did not like them, but I have to think eventually they must have liked them.

If not then I suppose it could be a reason for their dislike of one another and eventual collapse and internal strife. There is a definate line between bands that enjoy each other, like their work usually versus bands that self criticize too much and hate each other.

In this case the albums are just OK to me...but they have a place of importance in rock history.

I'm pretty sure this is only in retrospect.  At the time of creating those albums, they generally seemed happy with them.  Though no doubt, much like Genesis, the huge popularity of their latter material made their less popular, more underground stuff, seem less "good" to them later on.  I think any artist looking back, is going to see their earlier stuff as somewhat naive and searching.  They were young and trying to define themselves as a band and as individual musicians.  I discovered the early albums after discovering the later, more popular ones.  To this day I much prefer the early experimental stuff, because from Piper through Meddle, every album was so different from the last.  After Dark Side, it all sounds the same really.  Really, really good, but quite similar in style and approach.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 11:00
Hi,

I like Atom Heart Mother, and think that it is a magnificent piece. Yes PF was more exploratory those days, but it would be really hard to say that they did not learn to interpret their material better by having gone through that period, and that is what most bands do not do, or attempt ... because of commercial considerations! Specially these days!

There are some neat notes here, by the way, and some maybe incidental or accidental.

In the bootlegs, there are many versions of this. Some with a choir and some without, and then there is ... THAT one ... where the whole piece is a lullaby. I believe that piece is the one that was done in Paris with Roland Pettit and it was trashed senselessly, since classical folks hated rock music then (so to speak) and hip folks thought classical music was passe and too fat and didn't smoke reefers!

The by-product of this, might have been the cover of Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play" with the dead/hurt ballerina on the cover in a "classical building/stage for music" ... which to me is a statement that the current "classical music is dead" per Ian Anderson, and it has been dying and falling apart more and more sicne then ... to the point where the sales of it these days are almost not even tracked anywhere!

The title is also funny ... look up the definition of "passion play" ... old style of work/play not done anymore!

And the whole album? exactly the same thing all the way through. I actually find all that more interesting than the PF stuff. But all of them trashing what taught them to do what they did ... is sad, bizarre and not appreciative of the young mind and learning ... is worse.

Why is it that we think that all youngsters are not good artists/musicians and that only the accepted mode can be good because it can be defined? I believe that Ian was making that point, right after he said that we were Thick as a Brick!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>