Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 05:15

For practical reasons, nr. 1: CD

For the ambiance, nr. 2: vinyl

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 03:38

One almost killed argument!! Spot on, Joren!!!

However, it's not just "ambience" that makes vinyl win over CD aesthetically - the covers are "warm" and wonderful things to own. It's a bit like collecting stamps or art, except that vinyl has a practical purpose beyond either in that you can not only gaze at the magnificent artwork and go "Aaaaah" to your heart's content, but you can listen to it as well!! Many albums had/have magnificent gatefold sleeves, or sleeves that folded out into massive posters, and nice little bits and pieces tucked away inside. You just don't get that with CD.

I'm hoping that someone with a scientific bent can explain the theory that "proves" that the sound of CD is better than vinyl.

There are problems with vinyl, of course; once you've played it, it will never sound the same, as you are dragging a diamond (hardest substance known to man) across soft plastic. Not only that, but it moves from side to side and up and down. With CD, a cool laser shines through holes in a plastic-coated aluminium disc. There is next to no wear throughout the disc's lifetime.

HOWEVER.

Vinyl sounds better - particularly a first pressing - because it is ANALOGUE, like sound itself. There is NOTHING digital about sound - it is constant and never stops. Anything in a digital format either exists or it does not exist. On or off. No room for compromise...

Except for Digital-Analogue Converters (DACs), which I do not understand fully. These have filters to "muddy" the sound and restore some of the analogue feel. But I cannnot see how they can escape from the nature of digital.

16-bit CDs particularly are a con - and mp3 is MUCH worse. NEVER pay the same, or anywhere near as much for an mp3 as you would for a CD. mp3 audio is COMPRESSED and, no matter what the bitrate, will NEVER sound as good as 16-bit CD.

24-bit CD does not leave out data that 16-bit might simply ignore (especially in dense sections and moments when there is, for example, a subtle reverb at a very low level). This is why vinyl tends to have more presence than the current crop of 16-bit CDs - you may not necessarily hear what is different, but, because sound has a physical effect, you will FEEL it.

24-bit (AKA SACD or DVD Audio) leaves out practically (virtally!) nothing. It has a wider dynamic range and far greater dynamic presence. It is superior to vinyl in this respect - but, like all digital music, retains some of the "clinical" sound.

In the end, it's like comparing digital photographs to "proper" photographs. Somehow, digital images look "too real". As any photographer will tell you, you cannot replace natural chemical grains with digital pixels. Or can you...?

For me, listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of the Moon" on First Pressing vinyl is the ultimate way of hearing that album - apart from the original master tapes (which I have heard.../smug).

So vinyl for me, please!!!

happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2004 at 20:26
Vinyl. What with some prog being... well... I mean you sometimes really need willpower to get into it. And that is much more easily achieved when it's on vinyl because if you want to turn it off you actually have to get up, not just sit there and click off on the remote. So vinyl leads to you embracing the music more rapidly

Edited by happythe
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2004 at 21:17

Maybe it's just me being silly, but, I can't stand the "snap crackle pop" if I'm not eating cereal. I spent gazillions on cleaners, vinyl protectors and other such products and every album, after numerous and I mean NUMEROUS plays, sounded like an AARP dental convention(old people making smackin' sounds with their false teeth, oy!!).

I traded in over 700 (that's seven hundred) vinyl albums (including some first press, and many prog) for $300.00 and 30 (thirty) CD's in 1987. Except for the first press issues, I haven't looked back.  

I understand the (slight) loss of highs and lows, but for me... CD all the way.

happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2004 at 21:24
But the crackles make it your own special vinyl! When I'm singing Willow Farm, I sing the crack that my vinyl plays just before 'A flower..?' It's sorta... personal
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2004 at 21:32
Sheesh, I (accidently) nicked my "Road Games" album (Allan Holdsworth) when opening the sleeve with a kitchen knife (dumb sh*t, eh?) and every time I listen to that I get pissed 'cause I did it. I still own that album (my only vinyl album left) and I know that scratch reduces it from pristine to crap. I have it on CD now, so the pains not so deep, but ....... memories.... Laying on my bed... Queen "A Night at the Opera" full blast through a pair of Marantz Emperial 9's (RobJ's) and still enjoying the last moments of a good buzz..... Yeah, Vinyl rules. It's just not permanent.
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2004 at 19:26
It's all about lifestyles I think. Vinyl is that leap back in time that reminds us of a simplier time, CD's are the next step to an even simplier way to live... Vinyl are cheaper, CD's are not! Vinyl are as not as long life lasting as CD's  (and don't get me started about sound quality ) So, after all of this nonesense I've said, yes, my kind of format all the way is definitely CD!
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 02:35
SALUDOS Y FUERTES ABRAZOS A NUESTROS PAÍSES HERMANOS LATINOAMERICANOS, REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA Y HAITÍ; ESPERANDO HALLEN PRONTA RESIGNACIÓN Y ESPERANZA EN SUS CORAZONES DADAS LAS CIRCUNSTANCIAS ACAECIDAS EN LOS ÚLTIMOS DÍAS. LO MEJOR HOY Y SIEMPRE DESDE MÉXICO   
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 03:35

Originally posted by landberkdoten landberkdoten wrote:

It's all about lifestyles I think. Vinyl is that leap back in time that reminds us of a simplier time, CD's are the next step to an even simplier way to live... Vinyl are cheaper, CD's are not! Vinyl are as not as long life lasting as CD's  (and don't get me started about sound quality ) So, after all of this nonesense I've said, yes, my kind of format all the way is definitely CD!

1) Lifestyles - There could be an element of that, for sure, but my lifestyle involves collecting vinyl, in the same way that many people collect stamps.

2) "Vinyl are cheaper" - In the same manner as stamps, since vinyl is very delicate and wears quickly, good condition copies are hard to find - especially of popular records, as people tended to play them (how could they ). A First Pressing of "In The Court Of The Crimson King" fetches up to £500. "Please Please Me" by the Beatles is worth £2,500 in it's original STEREO release. And the White Album - well, if you've got one of the first 50, you're looking at the best part of £1,000,000.

The other side to this is that less vinyl is produced now, because CD is so much cheaper - and returns far greater profits - for the Record Industry. Hence a CD costing £10 MIGHT have a vinyl equivalent costing up to £20, if the label thinks a vinyl version will sell at all. Newer vinyl can accumulate in value at a silly pace - Oasis albums fetch between £30 - £150, and even Coldplay and Travis are highly collectable.

The way to preserve vinyl is, of course, tape it (like we did in the olden days!) or burn it to CD. Yes, you've digitised it, but you can then listen to the music anytime you like, and if you need that vinyl "hit", you can dig it out from the rack and spin it up!

Only worn vinyl does an imitation of Rice Crispies - or worse, bacon frying. It can be replaced, if you're bothered enough and go hunting on eBay. If you get a nice First Press in proper Record Collector EXCELLENT condition, there should be next to no "frying". A little background crackle is a nice ambience for some music - in fact there are some bands, especially trip-hop, that add a crackling effect to digital mixes!

3) Why not start on the sound quality? That is one of the points of this thread, after all!!! A First-press vinyl LP, with little wear, sounds 100 times better than any 16-bit CD - remember, it's not just the sound. "Dark Side of the Moon" is my case in point. And if you've never heard Led Zep II on FP vinyl, you've never heard Led Zep!! That puppy shakes windows, walls and roofs!! I'll be selling a copy on eBay in the next few days, if anyone with a turntable is interested...

Edited by Certif1ed
ummagumma08 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 18:50

I've been collecting vinyl for about 2 years now, so I'm relatively new to the "vinyl jungle" I agree that vinyl offers a far better listening experience than CDs. It certainly depends on the equipment, but anyone who is still under the impression that CDs sound better than vinyl, should try getting some decent equipment (doesn't need to cost a fortune) and get hold of your favorite record in a high quality pressing, then you should be in for a listening experience beyond the usual.             

Edited by ummagumma08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 18:56
CD's DON'T sound as good as a new vinyl recording. It's only new for a short time. CD's easier? Yes.  
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 03:35
I am soooooo tempted to get rid of the 3/400 vinyl albums I have (a lot of them are embarrasing crap from the '80s anyway), but I just cannot bring myself to do it - even though I have a top line record deck, I can't remember the last time it was used.

I'm not going to get into the argument re sound quality, as there are sound (sorry) arguments on both sides, but one thing vinyl DOES have over CDs.......

Ever tried rolling up a 'special' cigarette on a CD cover? Album covers are the perfect size to sit on the lap...... or so I have been told....

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 11:36

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Ever tried rolling up a 'special' cigarette on a CD cover? Album covers are the perfect size to sit on the lap...... or so I have been told....

Hmmm, Special cigarette? What could you be saying old man, suffering from glaucoma, now, are ya?  

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 19:59
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

2) "Vinyl are cheaper" - In the same manner as stamps, since vinyl is very delicate and wears quickly, good condition copies are hard to find - especially of popular records, as people tended to play them (how could they ). A First Pressing of "In The Court Of The Crimson King" fetches up to £500. "Please Please Me" by the Beatles is worth £2,500 in it's original STEREO release. And the White Album - well, if you've got one of the first 50, you're looking at the best part of £1,000,000.

Yeah I hear you! But in that lifestyle order I was talking about, it certainly depends where u from... for instance, here in Mexico we have this very popular music flea market called "El Chopo" were every Saturday people get together (it's mostly similar to a Swap Meet... ) and exchange, sell, buy music (it goes from the oldest and rarest albums to find till brand new cd's and artists...) so it's easier for me to get a vinyl album of Yes, Zappa, VDGG or Pink Floyd for less that $1.00 usd a piece... it also depends on the public preferences, for instante, where you live, UK; people are more appealed to prog rock than we do here... it's all about cultures and sub-cultures... (although during the past 15 years, Mexico's become a very visited forum for prog bands...  )

Edited by landberkdoten
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
Dusanyu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 00:39
Actuly the idea that CD's last longer than Vinal is a
bit of a misnomer as thire is a condition known as
"CD-Rot." It has been observed that over time holes
devlope in the reflective surface on the top of the
compact disk resulting in degradation if the recording.

Perosnly i like A nice New Vinal recording Recorded on
Good old Real-to-Real analoug tape.

little more info on CD rot
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/06/disc.rot.ap

My applogies if my spelling and grammor are lusey
English is not my first language.

Edited by Dusanyu
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 14:35
I've just recently started collecting vinyl.  The main reason is the price, why pay $15 for a CD when you could pay $5 for a record?  Plus I just enjoy it, it's becoming a hobby of sorts, kind of in the way stamp collecting could be (I guess)...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 16:50

As an old(er) timer who grew up with vinyl...its got to be CDs every time.

Don't get me wrong, LP sleeves are far superior, CD's should come in LP sized covers. Sound wise though, CDs for me are much better. I don't buy the analogue is better theory, I like to hear top quality sound without clicks, hisses, etc. I don't want to have to worry about a worn stylus destroying my collection. I like getting 80 minutes of music on a CD, espcially bonus tracks on remasters of the classics.

I still have my vast vinyl collection, but its becoming more and more dormant as I replace so many with CD. I don't think I could part with them though, not yet anyway.

Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2004 at 09:40

There's no VS with me..

I love them both.. I am recording some vinyl on mp3 (i could make an topic of HOW you can make your vinylwork on mp3!)
So i've got my albums.. and some beautiful posters in 1 buy!
But just the cd takes away alot of work.. and some music isn't availible in vinyl format.. so yeah.. uhm ok.. Love them both!

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2004 at 07:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>