Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 09:14

Vynil is the best

and CD is realy really poor

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 16:22
Hey Oliverstoned - I'd be interested to know why you think that - I totally agree with you, but I just want to know why you have such a strong feeling against CD
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2004 at 07:16

hello,

It's cause i've heard real good turntable versus big CD

and the vynil is very much better in terms of image, dynamic, precense, and in the medium/aigu, you can't compare.

CD hurts your ears, whether you can listen to vynil during hours without being tired.

Cd is good if you have a 50.000 dollars budget and then you buy the best Mark Levinson drive and converter.

But a very high-end turntable is even much better!

My advice: buy a Rega planar3 turntable (500dollars ) and it'll be much better

than CD 10X times more expensive.

Best musical regards

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2004 at 14:48

I have played 2112 on Remasterd Cd and The Original Lp, side by side.

The vinyl sounds "weightier", but the overdubs are clearer on the CD version.

I prefer the Vinyl version.

I remember buying the CD version of Machine Head by Deep Purple and it sounded almost like a different piece of work to the LP. It just didnt seem to be as good.

Maybe us older members have got used to the LP format because that's how we first heard our music and developed our tastes.

My wife listens to her CD's on a plasticky JVC mini system and when she occasionally uses my expensive Arcam-Nad-B&W setup she says her stuff sounds better on the JVC!!!!Maybe our ears get used to hearing the music a certain way and any change from this must give a less pleasurable sensation.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2004 at 16:08

You may have struck upon the problem!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2004 at 03:43

"The vinyl sounds "weightier", but the overdubs are clearer on the CD version"

Yes there is more "sound matter" on the vynil, and the Cd sounds thin

The Cd sound ios like a skeleton.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2004 at 13:24
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Maybe us older members have got used to the LP format because that's how we first heard our music and developed our tastes.

I remember when CD was launched, and bought "Dark Side of the Moon" and "So". The sound quality was better!!

Am I eating my words here?

Not a bit of it.

I acquired a First Pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon" when I got back into collecting vinyl, following a lucky purchase of a FP "Revolver" (stereo, not the megabucks mono, unfortunately...). The FP of DSOTM is a million miles away from the nasty, flimsy 1980s pressing I had.

In short, CD is better than the flexi-disc stuff they used in the early-mid 1980s for many releases, especially re-releases and "Nice Price" versions (because it was so thin, there was less up and down movement of the stylus, hence less dynamic, and the LPs wore out more quickly and ended up sounding fuzzy as well as flat and lacking in bass).

However, get a FP Beatles album on vinyl and you're talking. I mean listening! The quality of that plastic is superb, and the dynamic is still breathtaking after all these years - even with loads of surface scratches on. Get one without surface scratches, and that is musical nirvana.

Back to my hunt for a FP ITCOTCK...

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2004 at 14:58

The oil crisis of the mid-seventies ruined LP's!!

Something else to blame on the Muslims!LOL

At the end of the day CD is more convenient and slighty more durable and perfect for making copies, God do I hate tape! Although my dad had one of them reel to reel jobbies and that seemed to sound pretty decent (given it was Elvis and Jerry Lee)

On the other hand LP's with their gatefold covers and lyric sheets felt like something worth cherishing, like a proper souvenir and that counts for a lot in my book. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2004 at 01:53
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

The oil crisis of the mid-seventies ruined LP's!!

Something else to blame on the Muslims!LOL

At the end of the day CD is more convenient and slighty more durable and perfect for making copies, God do I hate tape! Although my dad had one of them reel to reel jobbies and that seemed to sound pretty decent (given it was Elvis and Jerry Lee)

On the other hand LP's with their gatefold covers and lyric sheets felt like something worth cherishing, like a proper souvenir and that counts for a lot in my book. 

I love tape

Take a musical cd player and copy a Cd on a good tape deck like Nakamichi1000 or Studer a700 for example and you'll be amazed by the result.

The copy on tape sounds much better cause it's less agressive in the medium-aigu

The result is somewhere betwen the vynil and the CD...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2004 at 02:01

...Moreover the pb on the Cd is that they "inflate" the sound in order to

compensate the nature thinness of numeric . So it's not natural, and it gets

your ears tired very  quickly. Whereas analogical vynil are perfectly neutral and

natural.

but it you want a good sound with a turntable, you have to have a good one (like Rega Planar 3) with a moving coil (like a 1000 Dolars Dynavector) and then you are in the musical heaven...

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 19:31

If you've got a sh*t Vinyl playback ancillaries your gonna get a sh*t sound which even the cheapest of CD players are gonna better.

Top notch Vinyl grinder & you got the best playback.

As long as it's not one of these that is

Rega

Linn 'Condek'

But there's probably no salvation for most, as there tuned unto the digital garb they listern to everyday.

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 01:27
Yes, a good linn, with dynavector moving coil, well put horizontally on a relaxa plate (the best vibration canceller ever), with transparent cables...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 12:14

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Yes, a good linn, with dynavector moving coil, well put horizontally on a relaxa plate (the best vibration canceller ever), with transparent cables...

Best table for a Linn is the bird table in the back Garden

I've got a Relaxa somewhere they are pretty good.Much prefer the Townshend 'Siesmic sink'

You know a good hgigh end cable when it blows your power amp up

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 13:00
Relaxa is the best vibration isolation system...

Sorry!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 17:05

Relaxa is the best vibration isolation system...

Sorry!

So which hi-fi mag reviewer tod you that?

Hes a technical breakdown Oliver as you seemed to be a big reader

Isolation System Relaxa

Magnetic suspension for vibration isolation

Technical specifications

Characterization of the attenuation coefficient 

The attenuation capability has been measured with the experimental set-up shown in fig.1

The floating table has been suspended over a moving basement. A controlled periodic displacement of the basement has been generated and the corresponding displacement induced in the floating table has been measured with a modulated microfocused laser. The attenuation is defined as the ratio between the amplitudes of the oscillations of the basement and those of the floating table:

a = A1/Ao

The oscillation frequency has been chosen in the typical range of ambient vibrations (f = 2pw between 10 and 300 Hz). The corresponding curve is shown in fig. 2.

In this case the curve has been measured with a null load suspended onto the table. The corresponding curve with a load follows the same trend but the absolute value of the attenuation coefficient is reduced due to the effect of the load. In other words the above curve represents the worse situation from the point of view of the attenuation efficiency. However, it is interesting to consider that these values of a are typical of the most sophisticated systems used in laboratory equipment and based on heavy and expensive pneumatic suspensions.

The resonant frequency of the oscillating table is in the order of 2 Hz for a null load. This value decreases for and increasing value of the load.

Load capacity

The load capacity depends on the size of the magnets used for suspending the floating table. The proper choice of the magnet shape and size can be done by considering the force versus distance curve typical of a couple of magnets.

The repulsive force acting between two magnets (in grams) is shown as a function of their distance (in mm) for different shapes and sizes of the magnets. The lowest curve of fig. 3 has been measured with two cylindrical magnets having 18 mm diameter and 5 mm thickness. The upper curve has been measured with two cylindrical magnets having 23 mm diameter and 10 mm thickness.

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 01:51
Thanks forthat technical description

For those who don't know, this system is in magnetic levitation, like the japanese train, which gives a total immunity to vibrations.

i don't trust hifi reviews cause here in France, there are very bad.

American reviews are better.

Your "What hifi" is not bad.

This is experiment that learn me that this vibration canceller system is the best (for many devices: most sources, preamp...)
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 08:38

Thanks forthat technical description

For those who don't know, this system is in magnetic levitation, like the japanese train, which gives a total immunity to vibrations.

i don't trust hifi reviews cause here in France, there are very bad.

American reviews are better.

Your "What hifi" is not bad.

This is experiment that learn me that this vibration canceller system is the best (for many devices: most sources, preamp...)

Opposing magnetic poles.As you know when you connect two opposing poles they will obviously try pushing  away hence the alignment pins in each of the two corners.This is how this table works,your gear is floating in mid air.The only contact the top & base have with each other is the pins edge,being circular its virtually non touching as it's too small a contact area to even measure.

I do prefer the Townshend 'Siesmic' sink' simular principle but is isolated by air balls,seems to add morelower frequency & depth to the music.

Here it is incorporated into the top & bottom design of there rack

Seismic Sink stand

Regarding ''What hi-fi'' i think you'll find it the worse magazine we have ever had.

''Hi-Fi news & record review'' was our top magazine for years,but all the same never read reviews & that goes for album reviews too.

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 14:13
Forget hifi furnitures!

It's expensive, doesn't works and add vibrations!

There's nothing like a massive wood furniture, but the best is to put your devices on the floor (with a good floor)with vibration canceller below, of course.

Each kind of device needs a specific kind of vibration canceller.
Example: for tubes amps, very vulnerable to vibrations, the best is steel triangles with points.
It tightens the low freq and enlightens everything.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 14:22
Here's the vibration canceller system is use below my Kora tube preamp:

3 Ceramic "golden sound" cones + Sicomin plate (french product), which is a "vibration's sponge" made of carbon/kevlar.
On this plate,just below the preamp, i add a set of 3
amethyst" which is a system with steel or Teflon balls
(steel improves dynamic whereas teflon improves "timbres").
So it makes a total of three differents system, so a triple
isolation.
The result is excellent, but Relaxa system is even better.
Another essential point for "turning machines" like CD drive and vynil turntable is the horizontality.
You have to check it with a plumb level in the two dimensions and compensate with a fix sytem made of pieces of wood (forget soft matters which are not good for vib' evacuation), in order that your Cd player or turntable is perfectly horizontal.
It's essential, like to have as many electric lines than
devices!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 16:55

Forget hifi furnitures!

It's expensive, doesn't works and add vibrations!

There's nothing like a massive wood furniture, but the best is to put your devices on the floor (with a good floor)with vibration canceller below, of course.

Each kind of device needs a specific kind of vibration canceller.
Example: for tubes amps, very vulnerable to vibrations, the best is steel triangles with points.
It tightens the low freq and enlightens everything.

Duh?

I was just showing the Townshend isolation on a rack thats all.

Well all know racks are wank

Why do i bother?

Oliver i bet you've got a little wank system living in a dream that your constantly reading about

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>