Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrag about your guitar skills!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brag about your guitar skills!
    Posted: May 13 2012 at 21:27
Started playing at 15, had a few bands and roadied for others, went to Musician's Institute at 18, made a go of it with original material for another ten years or so.   Playing guitar is a hard road for someone wanting to be a pro, it's incredibly physically demanding to play well, and often painful.   When I started it was a popular instrument but much more now, it seems there's one in every home.

DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 12:36
This east Los Angeles lead/rhythm guitarist moved to west Norwood London England at 19 years old and after playing,rehearsing 3 weeks in a band in Bath,England;I met and hung out with Peter Gabriel.Mr.Gabriel was kind enough to recommend me to join a signed record label Vertigo Phonogram Swiss progressive rock band called Flame Dream.
http://www.progressiveworld.net/html/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=1555

Wünsche allne en schöne Muettertag + en schöne Sonntig!! Happy Mother's Day & beautiful Sunday everyone ♥
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡

Edited by DaleHauskins - May 13 2012 at 16:25
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 06:39
I´ve played for nearly 25 years now, but I still suck at basic theory. Mainly I´ve just always played what I wanted to and still do.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 05:17
Played today in cool band for Mothers day service. Another guitarist too played but I played 12 string Yakuza, he was on 6 electric Yamaha, we had a good drummer, and keyboardist also and 3 singers. Sounded ace!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 13 2012 at 05:18
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 04:28
I can come up with a riff I personally would consider as a decent one. Hell, I can come up with quite a number of riffs, but I will not tell you my recipe Smile . Unfortunately, my technical facility is very limited as of the time of this writing. A riff can pop up in my head but my skills are too limited to execute it ... so I just let my laptop do the job - speed up a recorded loop Smile ... which is a bit sad Unhappy .

Still working on sweep-picking. Planning also on nailing down the country banjo picking technique ... well, any country picking technique, as well as ways of improvising.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 13 2012 at 04:28
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 03:18
I'm 45 now. I learnt the basic chords on spanish guitar when I was 12 or so.
At 17 I bought a crappy electric Telecaster replica and with some friends we formed a "band" and I started self-teaching. We played Smoke On The Water, some Bowie, ELP's Peter Gunn (I did the keyboard with guitar) and simple stuff like that.

At 19 I bought an electric Aria Pro-II which sounded much better and I started taking jazz-guitar and basic music theory and singing lessons but after 1 year I stopped because i was too lazy to practice enough and couldn't keep up with the pace of the course. Anyway that opened the door for knowing some jazz chords and understanding music a bit better and being able to read some simple scores although I never practiced with scores anymore so i have lost that ability.

After some years lost because of our compulsory military services we retook the friends band. From the guitar I transposed the chords to the keyboard and in this way I taught myself some basic kyb and all together we bought a Roland U-20 keyboard.
Apart from my year of lessons none of us studied music but for years we practiced once or twice per week, always just for fun and never playing gigs, and we got better. I was the one picking up the songs by ear and would teach the guitar, bass and keyboard to the other guys, and then we would practice it like monkeys until it sounded decent.

For some years we were 4 + singer so we could have drums + bass + either 2 guitars or 1 guitar and keyboards. After some years the friend who played bass stopped coming so we were left as a trio + singer and had to chose to either play the song without one of the melodic instruments or to concentrate on our Rush repertoire.
I did backing vocals too but I have a terrible voice timbre Unhappy

At some point I bought a nice Carvin electric and my family gave me as present a Korean Fender acoustic which has never sounded well. Never buy an instrument for somebody else which he could not test (many years later my girlfriend would make the same mistake buying me a Yamaha keyboard which is crap for playing this kind of music but I never dared to tell her).

We played more or less regularly until I was 33 and at our peak we sounded decent but never at a level beyond amateurs playing just for fun. We played songs like:

Rush - Xanadu
Rush - The Trees
Rush - Closer to the Heart
Rush - Limelight
Rush - La Villa Strangiato (well, sort of attempt....)
Rush - Freewill
Rush - The Spirit of Radio
Yes - Hold On
Yes - Changes
Pink Floyd - Time (I usually played the bass on this one)
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (I usually played the bass)
Asia - Without You (I played the keyboard)
Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear (I played the keyboard)
Marillion - Jigsaw
Camel - The Snow Goose (I played the keyboard)
Bowie - Space Oddity
Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Peter Gabriel - Family Snapshot (I played the keyboard)
Queen - Father to Son
Queen - White Queen
Queen - Now I'm Here
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Never wrote own music other than a couple of songs, I never had inspiration, I had musical ear to pick up other's music and then I can play it like a monkey.

At 33 I left Spain to Belgium for work so the friends band stopped. In Belgium I did not find any friends liking this music and in the meantime I met my current Belgian girlfriend and I have stayed here since, so for 12 years now I never played in band again.
For some time I programmed the other instruments of some of the songs in a sequencer and would play them through the keyboard midi sound module so I could play my part alone on top, in this way i kept playing for a while but alone it's not the same fun, and after a while I stopped and in the last 5 or 6 years I have not played at all anymore.

I have now the Fender acoustic, my old Aria CS-350 electric, the Carvin DC135 electric, a Yamaha GW50 effects pedalboard, a Peavey bass and the crappy Yamaha keyboard, everything getting dust in their boxes  Unhappy

I always tell to myself that someday I will start playing again... I wonder how much i will have forgotten, surely too much.
This is my rather sad story.

Edited by Gerinski - May 13 2012 at 12:58
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 04:58
Bragging? Oh hell, why not.
No guitar though.

aSimionescu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 04:37
My playing skills can go up to eleven...
Simionescu-Panait Andrei
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 23:19
I can slay dragons and trolls, lawyers and bureaucrats with a forgery Chinese Jackson neck-through bought for $85 on eBay. Bam!
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 16:38
I wish that I was a good technical player. Unfortunately I am mostly self trained and the only instruction I have gotten is from family members who are mostly self taught country and blues players or from the internet.

When I moved to South Dakota two years ago I forgot to bring picks and only brought my acoustic guitar. As a result I have developed an unique if not technicaly sound fingerpicking/tapping techique. Acouple weeks ago I finally got picks again after going two years without... turns out I can no longer alternate pick worth a damn much less sweep pick... Im debating whether I sould relearn picking or if i sould just continue to callous up and abandon picking forever!
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 11:15
I too played in jazz band for many years, though guitar only my senior year of high school. That was one of the periods I was taking actual formal lessons and I learned alot of chord shapes and was able to fake my way through a bit.

After a few binges on jazz theory in the last few years I've realized how completely clueless I was back then, and how only marginally less clueless about jazz I am now.

At the same time, after reading alot of BS about scales and whatnot, that people make harmony and melody way too complicated. There are 12 chromatic notes. They have relationships, but there are many many different ways to name those relationships. In the end, these are just tools. The ear has to be the primary mover.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 10:35
Been playing since 1990

Self taught

i have a six string Epiphone Gibson

I have a Yakuza 12 string

plus a thrash electric with buzz box Samick.... and my daughter is learning to play and I bought her a classic medium acoustic

Teach students now and we play at assemblies - lotsa fun

learning bass now.... slowly

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 11 2012 at 10:36
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 00:55
This year will be 20 years (OMG!) that I first picked a guitar.

I played electric bass, I love my synthesizers and various textures, but I almost never played an electric guitar.

I have two guitars folk acoustic, and classical.

I couldn't play solo to save my life. But I'm good at chords and strumming.

I love guitar. I took me years to realise it's my primary instrument.

My goal, guitar-wise, is to grab a guitar and a write a decent song. Like Greg Lake, Ian Anderson or Neil Young did. Nothing less, nothing more.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 23:23
POWER CHORDS YEAH
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 20:52
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

^ That would be great if we did! I'll see if we can get the video crew down to the Triathlon the day of. I'll for sure post it on the forum if we do - I know you guys would enjoy it. I'm also playing guitar in our school's Jazz band at the start of the event. We're doing Birdland, Stompin At the Savoy, Eli's Comin and some other Jazz standards.

I played guitar in our high school's jazz band my senior year.  We also did "Birdland," which remains one of my favorite jazz tunes.  Other notable numbers we performed were "Satin Doll" (also a favorite), "Smooth" by Santana (I got the guitar solo- fun stuff), and one of my absolute jazz favorites, Buddy Rich's "Chanel One Suite."
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 20:39
^ That would be great if we did! I'll see if we can get the video crew down to the Triathlon the day of. I'll for sure post it on the forum if we do - I know you guys would enjoy it. I'm also playing guitar in our school's Jazz band at the start of the event. We're doing Birdland, Stompin At the Savoy, Eli's Comin and some other Jazz standards.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 16:49
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

I'm playing a couple of tunes with my friends at my school's triathlon on May 22nd. I'm on guitar and the rest of the band will consist of Electric Piano, Tenor Sax, Bass and Drums.
We're playing these tunes:
- Sylvia by Focus
- Freddie Freeloader - Miles Davis
- YYZ by Rush
- Billie's Bounce by Charlie Parker

We are also doing an original that my friend composed.
Shall be fun! Thumbs Up Sax man

Hey! that's a very good list! Sylvia ...I always loved and the other 3 choices are grand. That's interesting! I'd love to hear it. I wish you would film the event and post it. That would be great..
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 15:43
I'm playing a couple of tunes with my friends at my school's triathlon on May 22nd. I'm on guitar and the rest of the band will consist of Electric Piano, Tenor Sax, Bass and Drums.
We're playing these tunes:
- Sylvia by Focus
- Freddie Freeloader - Miles Davis
- YYZ by Rush
- Billie's Bounce by Charlie Parker

We are also doing an original that my friend composed.
Shall be fun! Thumbs Up Sax man
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 09:52
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Just learned a chord melody version of Coltrane's "Naima." My jazz skills are pretty basic but I found a nice arrangement and the song is very slow. It's all about expression. It's also, IMO, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. I'm doing my sister-in-law's wedding next month and need some nice instrumental pieces, so here we are.

Very cool. A beautiful piece.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 09:37
Just learned a chord melody version of Coltrane's "Naima." My jazz skills are pretty basic but I found a nice arrangement and the song is very slow. It's all about expression. It's also, IMO, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. I'm doing my sister-in-law's wedding next month and need some nice instrumental pieces, so here we are.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>