Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Your Favorite Prog Artist Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 14:09
Right!  Close the thread this is just showing off now! 

Plus I am getting jealous very quickly  Ermm

Edited by akamaisondufromage - May 01 2012 at 14:43
Help me I'm falling!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 14:28
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Never thought it would happen, but I got to see Magma in 1999, at Prog Fest.  I never would have dreamed that Vander would revive the band, but he did, and not only was it just as good as it used to be, he kept it going and it still thrives to this day.

Then you saw me ... yep! ... I was one of the official photographers for the whole thing! Pictures on my website for your memory!

Edited by moshkito - May 01 2012 at 14:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 14:43
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Right!  Close the thread this is just showing off now! 

Plus I am getting jealous very quickely  Ermm

I don't think that's necessary.

What it does show you is that it is difficult to see a lot of things if you are not in the big city, and California, NY, Paris and London are the 4 sites that get all th emusic, where these artists can have a show that some folks will show up.

Or you can get Ozric Tentacles in Portland, playing with the rRadio Shack sound equipment special that was bought for $3.99 and the Cracker Jack box, and hope that you are seeing the band you have heard before ... NOT!!!! Twice, too! I would suggest that 80% of these bands will die a quicker death on places with that kind of sound equipment!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 15:22
I have seen Jean Michel Jarre, Dream Theater, Opeth and Theocracy just yesterday Tongue And going to see Neal Morse this summer. Would love to see Shadow Gallery, Transatlantic, Iona etc. etc... Just have to appreciate whoever comes to Finland.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 17:44
I thought this thread was about favorite band (singular) so ok to list 2 or 3 as tastes change over timebut 40 to 50 "favorite" bands? That's just nuts guys.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 21:47
^Yeah, i had really meant it to refer to  your favorite prog artist, or small group of artists at the very top

I see this thread has evolved into something a bit more.

I don't want to see it closed, but can people in the future please refer to their very favorite prog acts only?

Going beyond that is interesting, yes, but may be suitable for another thread.Smile 

Edited by presdoug - May 01 2012 at 21:49
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 02:17
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I just put my favourites. Everyone is doing lists now. I could have done a list.
   I'm rather enjoying reading the lists, personally! 

Iván, you are quite remarkable!  And I salute all of us who have made financial sacrifices, waited in long lines, or endured other indignities over the years!  

To answer the OP question "Have you seen your favorite prog artist live?" I'd have to say yes (my own being "Yes"), but it's been a long, strange ride also. 

Biggest regret?  Missing Gabriel with Genesis.  I don't know how often they toured in the old days, but I saw Genesis on "And Then There Were Three" which was quite sublime, and Peter Gabriel twice.  He was amazing in his prime. 

Biggest thrill?  Seeing Bob Fripp perform solo with his Frippertronics on his "Drive to 1981" tour of record stores.....at the small store where I saw him perform, he went in the back to wash his hands, and the entire audience of perhaps 50 people left (except for me!)

Fripp came walking out with his right hand extended and a huge grin on his face, asking "Did you like it?"  Fripp...wanting to shake MY hand!!  

These are moments we live for, so please enjoy them to the max.  Your lists are breathtaking, keep it up!  I enjoy knowing how some of you came to see your favorite artists in your own lands.  Chicago is like a pot of honey to bees in the concert business, although I've done well in other cities as well (Moody Blues, Al Dimeola, Adrian Belew, and Chick Corea played in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the mid 1980's).  

Edited by cstack3 - May 02 2012 at 02:22
Atoms View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 02:36
No, I have not seen Van Der Graaf Generator
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 09:47
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

^Yeah, i had really meant it to refer to  your favorite prog artist, or small group of artists at the very top

I see this thread has evolved into something a bit more.

I don't want to see it closed, but can people in the future please refer to their very favorite prog acts only?

Going beyond that is interesting, yes, but may be suitable for another thread.Smile 

Sorry ... I have no "favorite prog acts" ... and my fun with the ladies is not up to discussion here! Tongue  Wink
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 10:20
Sadly no......I have not seen Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes (almost did last yr but the reviews were horrid). VDGG, Marillion or TFK.
Some of these I hope to cross off my list sometime soon.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 10:23
OK I was one of the guilty ones of long lists Embarrassed

I would have loved to see Genesis with Gabriel, and I would have liked to see some of the bands I have seen a bit earlier than I did. But in general I can not complain, most of the favourites have the box ticked (Genesis, Yes, ELP, Rush, Queen, PF, Marillion...) 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 20:40
oh, well, long or short lists, keep it coming guys-a lot of interesting tales!Thumbs Up
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 20:56
Originally posted by Atoms Atoms wrote:

No, I have not seen Van Der Graaf Generator
I'll tick this band off my bucket list at Nearfest.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Goog dawd ... now you have to get my memory jog'd. Updated so that it goes more towards the progressive side of things. Only took out a handfull of things.

And I do not go see "favorites" ... at all. I saw most of these because they were worth the seeing, and it was important music for me!

Starting in Madison in 1968 ...
The Blues Magoos
The Who (yes, they did blow it all up then!)
Credence Clearwater Revival
-- was planning to see Otis Redding at DJ's and that was the night he died when the plane dived into the lake!
Steve Miller Band
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Ides of March
several others on a really big concert near Green Bay with over 150k folks (it was the rave then!)
Andres Segovia - Madison
onto California in 1971:

Pink Floyd - Hollywood Bowl 1972 (still one of my favorite concerts ever!)
Moody Blues
Yes - Long Beach Arena (Tales from Topographic Oceans)
Pink Floyd - Sports Arena 1974
Nektar - Santa Monica Civic 1974 or 5
Tangerine Dream - Greek Theater (pictures on the live album of the trees on fire -- that's Lazerium btw!)
Tangerine Dream - Santa Monica Civic (1st tour -- and it had Lazerium with them!)
Hawkwind - Santa Monica Civic - Space Ritual Tour
Hawkwind and Man - Space 1999 tour in downtown LA dive somewhere
Babe Ruth/Iggy and the Stooges -- in which Janita Haan made Iggy look like an idiot!
Pink Floyd - Sports Arena  (The Wall)
Pink Floyd  - Anaheim Stadium (Famous show where Roger had fun with a couple of fans!)
Pink Floyd - Special Premiere of the Film in SF - Quadraphonic sound et al!
Renaissance - UCSB Campbell Hall
PDQ Bach -- now, that is a real concert and not a gip! Fun and enjoyable! And too progressive for this board! Possibly too funny for this board! And he makes Keith look stupid. PDQ also plays with his feet on the piano! Keith never did that!
Peter Gabriel - Arlington Theater - Santa Barbara
Divided Alien - The Wolf - Santa Barbara (Daevid Allen by himself with machines and poetry)
Roxy Music - Hollywood Palladium
Rare Earth/Black Sabbath - Hollywood Palladium
Fleetwood Mac - Hollywood Palladium (Bob Welch version)

Portland/Seattle
Stevie Ray Vaughn with Double Trouble and Robert Cray
Alan Stivell solo with another accoustic guitar player - Arlene Schnitzler Hall PDX
Tangerine Dream - Arlene Schnitzler Hall
Dream Theater with Queensryche and Fates Warning - Arlene Schnitzler Hall
Ozric Tentacles - La Luna PDX
Damo Suzuki
Gong 1995 - Took the picture they used on their posters for the rest of the year 
Gong 1996 -
University of Errors
SF Progressive Music Festival 1999 - Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists, Bondage Fruit/Buckethead/Brand X/Per Lindh Project/Porcupine Tree/Magma ... LL and the Rocket Scientists still was the most impressive of all these bands, other than Magma. Famous "incident" with Porcupine Tree. Roadie gets thrown off the gounds!
Zappa Plays Zappa - Return to Forever with Ponty, Clarke and Corea
Todd Rundgren

I'm not complaining ... I've seen my share and been lucky a few times.

On my wish list?
An evening or dinner with Peter Hammill. Don't even need to see him in concert.
Mike Oldfield - will likely never play America
Vangelis - no chance to ever play in America
Klaus Schulze - no change he will ever be in America
Ryuichi Sakamoto - I think he is done touring ... and getting a bit old for it.
Egberto Gismonti - not famous enough to come furhter north than San Francisco
Terje Rypdal - Sadly, he will never come to America. Would love to see him do an evening with David Darling ...
Manuel Gottsching - had his LA evening ripped off by the UCLA folks. Sadly, he didn't even get a chance to do his own thing anywhere else. Like no one gave a damn and he wasn't black enough or rap enough.
Kate Bush - She doesn't tour, and doesn't need to.
Mani Neumeier/Guru Guru or a version of.

Not interested in most concerts these days ... too much stuff is just too metronomic for my tastes.

I think I'm done with concerts.
That's an interesting list, moshkito, actually. Must have been a Gas to see PDQ Bach! He had quite the sense of humour.
         Out of all listed, i would have given the world  to have seen Nektar 74-75-that must have been something!Thumbs Up

Edited by presdoug - May 04 2012 at 21:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 21:45
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

That's an interesting list, moshkito, actually. Must have been a Gas to see PDQ Bach! He had quite the sense of humour.
         Out of all listed, i would have given the world  to have seen Nektar 74-75-that must have been something!Thumbs Up

Nektar was better live than on the record for me. The original version os Marvellous Moses was way more satisfactory than what finally came out in "Recycled" ... and that album is my favorite Nektar album of all.

It looks like I am one of the few folks that likes "Sounds Like This" a lot more than their "progressive" stuff, and the main reason why, is that you know who those people are, and you can relate to them one on one. And their anthem to Jimi Hendrix still is not heard! (The Preacher).

PDQ was great. In the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara, there are these balcony/varandas on the left side, and the show started with a woman screaming, a bunch of white bed sheets tied together thrown over the varanda, and him coming down from the varanda on them, and then run to the stage to get there ... on time! The musicians warming up had nothing going and closed it with his last step on the stage!

Perfect opening!

A moment later, after he has apologized for being ... slightly late ... he composes himself, fixes his attire and then stops in front of the microphone and points to the back of the theater and says ... "you lady, over there! You gotta have guts coming to a concert dressed like that!"

I have his book autographed. Lovely moment and concert and a total treat that should be on video!

Edited by moshkito - May 04 2012 at 21:48
www.pedrosena.com
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 22:01
I have seen Kansas twice, both in Raleigh, NC.  They were supporting their latest album Somewhere to Elsewhere the first time back in 2000 or 2001.  They were supporting Yes, who played eight songs in two hours.  Big smile

The latest time I saw them was a few months ago.  Great show.  I reviewed it in depth somewhere around here.  I got good seats for ten dollars.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:40
I did manage to catch VdGG way back in '76 on that brief North American tour.  I saw Crimson in the Discipline days but that was not my favourite KC era.  I saw Tull several times through the 70s.
I saw Gabriel solo several times, and Genesis without him once, but never caught the two together.
I 'd mention Yes but they were never a favourite prog act of mine.  :) 

I never saw Pink Floyd.  Really big miss there.  :(  

As for current favourites--I discovered PT too late to catch a recent tour, but I did go see SW and Grace for Drowning. 
Unless Riverside gains a whole lot more North American popularity, I may have to travel to see them.  I'm making plans for the tour that will follow the new album.  :)

Edited by ergaster - May 05 2012 at 05:41
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:42
I have seen Genesis - but alas it was 1978 without Gabriel and Hackett ... it was still Prog, but only just. I did have the opportunity to see them in 1971 (Nursery Cryme Tour) when they played Bedford Corn Exchange, but I wasn't into them then so I couldn't be bothered to go. I did see Principle Edwards Magic Theatre in the same venue around that time - that was a superb show by an often overlooked band.
What?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:44
Not nearly all my favorites, but I have seen some of my absolute favorites:

Symphony X, twice
Agalloch
Opeth

All in my top 5 bands sooo I can't complain.
Seen other favorites of mine but they aint prog so I guess I'll ignore thoseLOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 06:25
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I have seen Kansas twice, both in Raleigh, NC.  They were supporting their latest album Somewhere to Elsewhere the first time back in 2000 or 2001.  They were supporting Yes, who played eight songs in two hours.  Big smile

The latest time I saw them was a few months ago.  Great show.  I reviewed it in depth somewhere around here.  I got good seats for ten dollars.

Lucky you, they are one of my big misses, although having their excellent DVD There's Know Place Like Home helps (got Device-Voice-Drum too which is also very good).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>