Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Unexpected prog reference.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpected prog reference.......
    Posted: June 10 2012 at 00:09
Not exactly a reference, nor was it in a public place, but I've just heard "A Whiter Shade of Pale" in the end of a "House" episode.
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote FromAbove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 09:10
Originally posted by colorofmoney91

I was somewhat surprised at the prog reference in The Venture Bros.

I'm sure this has been posted approximately a million times before now.

That is probably the most awesome reference I have seen so far. At least it went to mention more than just one band. And interesting seeing the Fragile cover in the back of the stack when Dean's looking at the King Crimson cover.

Edited by FromAbove - June 10 2012 at 09:11
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 09:41
Top Gear is full of prog referances,

and they playd a Alan Parson project song Sirius on the opening of Netherland - Denmark match yesterday before kick-off
Acting on your best behaviour
Turn your back on mother nature
Everybody wants to rule the world
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote FromAbove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by aginor

Top Gear is full of prog referances,

and they playd a Alan Parson project song Sirius on the opening of Netherland - Denmark match yesterday before kick-off

Not to mention one of the guys' dislike of Genesis.

And the many too many joke references to Genesis.

Especially this (probably been shown several times already) : 

Edited by FromAbove - June 10 2012 at 10:32
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 02:00
^ Some weird jokes there.

Not exactly a reference and not in a public place:
Been watching this episode ''Short & Curlies' of "That 70's Show". In it Donna was wearing this "Kansas - Point of Know Return" T-shirt.
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 00:46
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush

Originally posted by colorofmoney91

I was somewhat surprised at the prog reference in The Venture Bros.

I'm sure this has been posted approximately a million times before now.

That is gold!Star

"Oh no, you're not ready to step into the Court of the Crimson King yet!" LOL

If In The Court Of The Crimson King can turn you into a evil scientist, I really don't what to know what you'll turn into if you popped in Red. LOL

Back on topic, a parody of In The Court's album cover was shown in a promotional music video for the animé Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 21:17
Tonight's American Dad! episode featured Steve and Snot rocking out on air guitar to the 2112 Overture.

BRUTAL.
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote awaken77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 07:51
in some rarely known USSR-made cartoon (don't remember the name), there was instrumental part from "Firth of Fifth" Genesis song, used as soundtrack (uncredited)

I think there is more references, as it was common for USSR film makers do not respect copyrights and don't mention credits of performers. I remember a movie which had a lot of Pink Floyd tunes uncredited
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 10:07
^ That's ... amusing. Big smile Who were the characters in that cartoon? Is it this one?

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 16:12
Originally posted by awaken77

in some rarely known USSR-made cartoon (don't remember the name), there was instrumental part from "Firth of Fifth" Genesis song, used as soundtrack (uncredited)
I think there is more references, as it was common for USSR film makers do not respect copyrights and don't mention credits of performers. I remember a movie which had a lot of Pink Floyd tunes uncredited

Awaken77, you reminded me of a similar encounter! I've got a DVD somewhere of a 70's cheapo Ninja movie (totally forget the generic title lol!), and the entire film had both Pink Floyd's `Meddle' album and Steve Hillage's `Green' tracks playing constantly!

Hmmmm....Floyd + Hillage + Ninja's = perfection in my mind!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 16:17
LOL American perfection. Big smile
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 16:42
Perhaps not full on prog, but I heard Jon and Vangelis' I'll Find My Way Home on a Swedish dating show a little earlier this evening (while zapping k, I didn't watch it...oh, get off my backLOL).

Edited by The Bearded Bard - December 05 2012 at 16:43
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:01
Mystery Science Theater 3000:

Austin Powers:

There was also a scene I can't find on Youtube:
Dr.Evil: "There will be two Moon units. Moon Unit Alpha and Moon Unit Zappa."

Edited by smartpatrol - December 05 2012 at 17:02
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:12
Smartpatrol! Of course!! I never picked up on that Zappa one in Austin Powers, and it's so obvious!

I remember being in a packed cinema when the `Alan Parsons Project' line came up, and only about 5 people in the whole audience cracking up laughing, and I was thinking `What's wrong with you people?! Learn your prog!'

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 05 2012 at 17:20
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:32
Originally posted by richardh

Final ever episode of Cheers , Diane tries to explain what has been doing for the last few years to Sam and thinking on her feet explains she had been working for a law firm called ....Emerson ,Lake and Palmer .

There is a funny bit in American Pyscho where the main character tries to explain to some girl that Genesis masterpeice is Duke. He also waxes lyrical about Phil Collins as a solo artist.

Both of those references are absolutely hilarious. I was gonna share the American Psycho bit, but you beat me to it.
Lots to love about the Prog Metal powerhouse band, 'Threshold.'
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:39
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

Originally posted by coolerking

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but in the recent HBO documentary "Bobby Fischer Against the World" the first part of 'I've Seen All Good People' (i.e. 'Your Move') by Yes is used.

I heard the exact same section in a some cell phone commercial on the phone ... at least that's how I remember it: it was a cell phone commercial three-four years ago.

Yup. That's true. YES is in there. Beginning of the movie doc. Very good movie too I might add.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:43
There is a movie called 'THE JACKET' that stars ADRIEN BRODY and DEREK DICK AKA FISH makes a cameo appearance as one of the mental patients in the psych ward. Pretty funny. Also, FISH got old man!!!! Too much saucing it up over years I guess. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by progbethyname

Originally posted by richardh

Final ever episode of Cheers , Diane tries to explain what has been doing for the last few years to Sam and thinking on her feet explains she had been working for a law firm called ....Emerson ,Lake and Palmer .

There is a funny bit in American Pyscho where the main character tries to explain to some girl that Genesis masterpeice is Duke. He also waxes lyrical about Phil Collins as a solo artist.

Both of those references are absolutely hilarious. I was gonna share the American Psycho bit, but you beat me to it.
That American Psycho bit must have been mentioned at least five times over the past 12 months. Just saying.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 05 2012 at 18:06
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by smartpatrol

There was also a scene I can't find on Youtube:
Dr.Evil: "There will be two Moon units. Moon Unit Alpha and Moon Unit Zappa."

Moon herself appeared in National Lampoon's European Vacation.

But that kinda brings us into the realm of "six degrees of Prog separation".  Confused

Edited by zappaholic - December 05 2012 at 19:26
BRUTAL.
WatcherOfTheSkies88 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote WatcherOfTheSkies88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 14:05
Excuse me for my ignorance guys, but anybody know what the song is that Dean was listening to in that Venture Brothers clip? Or was it just made it up by the show? It sounds awesome!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>