Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind 1976-1981

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 08:53
I must admit I like the "amateurish" Gong and Hawkwind a lot. Let's face it: All bands were pretty amateurish back then. This is true for warhorses like Genesis and Yes too. Being in a band was an amateurish thing back then. That does by no means mean the musicians could not play their instruments (there were some extremely excellent musicians back then already). But the music business was not what it is today in these early days. By 1975 or 1976 the record industry had established itself, and from about that time the music became more professional. But also a lot more boring, since all risks were eliminated.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 30 2012 at 13:51

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 09:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I must admit I like the "amateurish" Gong and Hawkwind a lot. Let's face it: All bands were pretty amateurish back then. This is true for warhorses like Genesis and Yes too. Being in a band was an amateurish thing back then. That does by no means mean the musicians could not play their instruments (there were some extremely excellent musicians back then already).

Absolutely.

This is something that most people do not relate to though. Today, the ability to master something is so easy and costs 99 dollars only ... and you can make an amateur sound like a professional real easy ... this was not likely, or even possible in those days without some massive studio time, and hte musician having to learn how to play it better and correctly ...

The really bad part of this, is that the end result was that a lot of really bad bands had a chance to get to the big studios via the noise/loud/fame corridor, and this, by itself, was an issue when it came to define what could or would be better.

However, let's not forget that the punk thing was totally about "sounding amateurish" and still getting through, so all in all, this changes with time and place. I really think that this is the main reason why I prefer to look at the quality and inner spirit of the music, than anything else ... when the light (and the spirit) is THERE, there is no need to define it as "amateruristic" or "professional" ... because its life-force is too strong to deny in the first place!

But, yeah ... the music business is litered with half-baked musicians that sound a lot better than they are!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 20:51

I must admit I like the "amateurish" Gong and Hawkwind a lot. Let's face it: All bands were pretty amateurish back then. This is true for warhorses like Genesis and Yes too. Being in a band was an amateurish thing back then. That does by no means mean the musicians could not play their instruments (there were some extremely excellent musicians back then already). But the music business was not what it is today in these early days. By 1975 or 1976 the record industry had established itself, and from about that time the music became more professional. But also a lot more boring, since all risks were eliminated.

There was alot more to Yes compositions and playing between 1970 and 73 than there was to Gong and Hawkwind in that period
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:22
And yet I wouldn't say Gong weren't very, very influential on future directions in music - some of the material on You in particular seems to have set a precedent for future bands on the hippy festival scene, which eventually developed into the rave scene and through that route exerted a profound influence on modern dance music (to the point where Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy could have a second career in dance music by the time the 1990s swung around).

I think whereas Yes latched onto a particular variety of music and ramped up the complexity of it as far as it could go, Gong (at least in the Daevid Allen-led incarnations) always took on a much broader variety of influences, from French chanteuse stuff to dance to psychedelia and so on.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:36

I'd argue that Led Zeppelin were probably one of the most professional bands of their time, and before 76, just ask Peter Grant. Wink
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:57
Yet even the first three Led Zeppelin albums have that amateurish flair, to a certain extent even the fourth.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 31 2012 at 09:59

Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:28
Yeah, I think that sort of ragged-about-the-edges sound was pretty big in the 60s in some quarters. You can hear it on the early Creedence Clearwater Revival albums, and Neil Young's Tonight's the Night is more or else entirely based around it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:30
No they don't ... they may reflect the limitations of the 4 and 8 track studios used at the time, but they are not amateurish.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

No they don't ... they may reflect the limitations of the 4 and 8 track studios used at the time, but they are not amateurish.

Totally agree this time Dean.Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:29
Of course the studios had severe limitations back then. But that is part of the amateurishness; it is inextricably intertwined with the status of the bands back then. No-one could book a studio for a whole month and record a "flawless" album.

Since Hawkwind were mentioned: With the elaborate stage show they had in the early 70s (Hawkwind had the by for most advanced stage-light system) you might as well call them the "ultra-professionals".But their music retained that amateurish charm, as did the music of Led Zeppelin back then. At least in my opinion.

Mark that I regard this amateuric approach as something absolutely pöositive

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:33
I must say I have never ever considered or thought that Genesis or Yes or Zep sounded amateurish. This is the first I heard the idea.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:42
We definitely have a different understanding of what "amateurish" means. Once again: "Amateurish" does not mean "bad". In the case of Genesis you only have to read the book about them by Armando Gallo. If the circumstances under which "Foxtrot" was recorded are not amateurish, then I really have to ask you what you call "amateurish".

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:47
What the circumstances of recording have to do with a band "sounding amateurish" beats me.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:52
We were talking about the amateurishness of the early recordings, and of course the circumstances of these recordings play an important role for that.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:53
^We ain't gonna agree. Let's just leave it.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:20
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

There was alot more to Yes compositions and playing between 1970 and 73 than there was to Gong and Hawkwind in that period

Good to hear the opinions of Dr Prog (Doctor of Prog) once again.  I don't honestly know where we would be without him!  Phew!

I always see 'Amateur' as being not quite as good as or perhaps not doing something for money.  I would say that Hawkwind and Gong had making money way down the list of priorities so for that reason they could be seen as amateur.  The sound of the recordings I think depended on the technology of the day and wasn't anything to do with being amateur or lack of ability or lack of effort. 

Thnks again Dr Prog for putting us all right.Bowdown
Help me I'm falling!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:40
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Yep.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 21:47
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Indeed.

I'd argue that 'amateur' is definitely a loaded word here.
Approach or Attitude?   (to any aspect of, business, studio, live etc etc)
Paid/Unpaid?

In terms of Poduction? Songwriting? Composition?

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 06:17
If I'm understanding Friede's posts right I think she means "amateurish" in the sense that there isn't a conscious attempt to put a barrier between the artist and the audience - the bands give the impression that they're regular, everyday people and music fans, just like the people who listen to them, rather than being distant entities who deign to appear before the masses to perform their compositions from on high. Am I in the right ballpark here, Friede?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 07:21
Amateurish merely implies they sounded like they didn't do it for a living. Whatever that really means..

There's also a difference between something sounding a bit rough and ready, and something that sounds like the musicians and producer have conspired to make something sound a bad as possible.

Edited by Blacksword - June 01 2012 at 07:34
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>