Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEloy Discovery Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 00:58
OKay time for a review of a masterpiece!

FLOATING - 1974

Eloy Floating album cover

5 stars Masterpiece album from the golden era of prog.

My obsession with Eloy began here and I believe it is the best album from the band. An instant masterpiece to my ears, I must have heard certain tracks from this over 20 times in the last month. This is psychedelia drenched space rock at its best. The first track I heard from this album is 'Castle in the Air' and it was enough to draw to me to the entire discography of the band. Admittedly, not everything that Eloy puts their hand to is gold, but on this album they had the Midas Touch and could do no wrong as far as I am concerned. It is difficult to review an album that I adore so much as this but this may be the most gushing praise ridden review I have written. I get chills everytime I hear it. It is little wonder that prog aficionado Greg Walker reveres this album as his absolute favourite.

It begins with the stellar funkadelic psych of 'Floating'. A massive crunching Hammond blazes away along a wandering bassline and punctuated percussive beat. Bornemann's guitar chimes in and we are on our way. The vocals are loud and bombastic in the opening section and then it switches time sig to a very fast tempo before breaking into a pounding drum beat. There is a psychedelic tranquillity that takes over, with cymbal splashes and shimmering organ, until it returns to the main theme. A great opening number to kick things off.

The epic of the album is the 14 and a half minute 'The Light From Deep Darkness' that opens with a serene guitar phrase and Frank Bornemann's inimitable vocals. Suddenly a loud staccato blast of organ and guitar with dollops of drums and bass begins to resound. A time sig locks in dominated by power organ and then a wonderful keyboard solo by Manfred Wieczorke. The bass of Luitjen Jansen is effective pulsating out a rhythm and those drum accents of Fritz Randow are compelling. It sounds like vintage Uriah Heep and Deep Purple in places, only very distinct as only Eloy can be. At about 6 minutes Bornemann flys off into a guitar riff and then it calms considerably with tranquil measured playing and very soft vocals. It builds at about the 10 minute mark until it unleashes into some incredibly psychedelic wah-wah reverb on guitar. If this is not enough, a massive organ sound follows that simply blazes away until this epic is concluded suddenly. This is certainly Eloy at their best and puts many of their material in the 90s to shame. A must for psych prog addicts and prog aficionados.

'Castle In The Air' is my favourite Eloy track and this is due to Bornemann;s incredible guitar riffs and the way it locks into some hypnotic rhythms and allows a myriad of keyboard and guitar solos to unleash a barrage of psychedelic space rock paradise. I remember I first heard this on a prog compilation from Prog magazine and I had to grab the cover to check out who were these fantastic musicians. I was delighted to discover it was Eloy as I had heard so much about them but had not been as impressed with "Ocean". I am delighted to discover their heavier psych side and this track encompasses everything that is great about them. Bornemann is brilliant on guitar and vocals here but I love how the track switches time sigs and feel effortlessly. Bornemann uses scat style mimicking the melodic guitar line and it works. The track includes spoken narration, a trademark of many Eloy albums, and some dynamic trade offs between organ and guitar. The bassline is astonishing on this and in fact all musicianship is virtuoso so I can never tire of this. The riff at 3:20 is wonderful and the percussion is a real drawcard, played masterfully throughout, especially the drum soloing at about 5 minutes in. There is so much passion injected into this composition it makes one rather perplexed as to the type of material that the band churned out in the 90s that was so inferior to this it is like it is from another planet. It is great how this song returns to the main theme at about 6:20, reminding us that we are still on the same song that has diverted considerably over its generous running time. An absolute masterpiece song on every level.

'Plastic Girl' is a long song at 9 minutes in length so I hoped it would deliver and I was not disappointed. The shimmering Hammond sound is present as is a building guitar phrase. Bornemann's vocals are thin and frail but I can take that as the music is so mesmirising. The organ is loud and proud drowning out everything. There is a lead break that takes over eventually and it soars beautifully creating an inferno of psychedelia. At 5 minutes the sig changes into a flowing rhythm and more dramatic organ washes. At 7 minutes we are back to the motif that began this masterful track, and it is a pleasant reminder of the satisfying melodies. I am in awe at how amazing the musicianship is on this album. It is simply a tirade of jaw dropping prog.

'Madhouse' is more of the heavier side of the band especially with the aggressive guitar phrases and high energy cadence. The guitar distortion is agreeable and Bornemann is at his best on vocals; "madhouse of desolation, the day seems bewitching, madhouse, night time nearing, madhouse, lights appearing, the day turning night into day, drifting slowly away with the music". The lead break is searing over a scratchy rhythmic passage. The heaviness is well above average for the band who are more into a symphonic ambience on most of their albums. Eloy know how to rock and they do it masterfully on this brilliant track. After some more guitar work there is a drop out of the main theme and the drums dominate with a fast paced percussion solo that is off the scale. The twin guitar solo that follows is wonderful and once again this is a treasure to my ears. So for me this album is prog perfection in the peak of the golden years of prog.

There are three excellent live tracks to supplement the original album on the remastered version. The songs include the 5 minute 'Future City', 8:11 'Castle in the Air' and 3:31 'Flying High'. All are terrific live examples of Eloy. There is a considerable amount of jamming and heavy guitar on 'Future City', the version of 'Castle in the Air' is dynamic and fuelled by fast guitar riffs similar to the studio version and definitely played brilliantly, and finally 'Flying High' includes grinding Hammond, psych guitars and sporadic free form drumming. I like the way it rocks with a fast tempo and although the live songs are raw it is great to hear more of Eloy at the peak of their powers.

Overall, this is one of the greatest albums of 1974 in a strong year for prog. Every track is compelling wonderful virtuoso musicianship and there is never a dull moment. A definitive masterpiece, "Floating" is one of the best albums I have discovered over recent years and my collection would be impoverished without it.

DaveyByTheSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 05:43
Thanks Atomic for that run through...have recently got hold of Floating and Dawn and looking forward to listening to them for the first time!
Skyline Teacher taught me everything!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 06:24
Originally posted by DaveyByTheSea DaveyByTheSea wrote:

Thanks Atomic for that run through...have recently got hold of Floating and Dawn and looking forward to listening to them for the first time!

My pleasure!

I am getting Dawn too very soon hopefully this month along with Inside, Power and Passion, Silent Echoes, and 2 others.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I was able to get 6 Eloy albums from ebay but cant get hold of Metromania, Ra or Planets for a decent price. I wonder if they are worth getting or if anyone could tell me any decent songs from those albums. I can hear them on spotify too to check out albums. No disappointments yet I must admit.

Well, Planets is part 1 of the concept album that was supposed to be a double but the record company would not allow.  Time to Turn is the second part, so if you get Time To Turn, you really have to have Planets as well.  Actually, the concept is not entirely clear from the music anyway, but musically, they are similar spacey synth heavy rock.  I love them both, but find Time to Turn a bit better.  Ra is terrible 80's music to my ears, and I've not heard all of Metromania, but the songs I have heard are a heavier space rock than Planets/Time to Turn.

Try Greg Walker (synphonic.com), he might have them cheaper.  Possibly laser's edge as well.

Planets and Time To Turn are very similar although I think (without checking) they had different drummers. Planets is more powerfull to my ears but Time To Turn is a bit more complex perhaps. Both worth having as you say.

Ra is plain awfull - avoid!

Metromania is a fair to middling effort. Quite enjoyable but there are several other Eloy albums I would rather reach for to get my Eloy fix.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 06:37
Wow 6 Eloy albums turned up in the mailbox today from ebay! Awesome

Listening to "Inside" and I love it!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - June 08 2012 at 06:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 09:48
Okay time for another review:

INSIDE

Eloy - Inside.jpg

4 stars Eloy's "Inside" captures the invigorating psychedelic sound of the 70s and it is the band at their most mind blowing in terms of lengthy jamming and trippy musicianship. The opening epic that runs out to 17:20 is a mind tripping psych prog blaster that features some mesmirising musical interludes. There is a lengthy instrumental break that is a freak out of shimmering Hammond, spacey lead guitar and frenetic drumming with a ton of time sig shifts. It is wonderful music to immerse your ears in.

This is followed by a more subdued but very good track 'Inside' that features some of the bright Hammond again with Bornemann's vocals lighting up the soundscape.

'Future City' is one of my favourite tracks with Ian Anderson style vocals and a hypnotic bass and guitar rhythmic groove. The freak out instrumental is a fast tempo outbreak of upbeat jazzy psych prog. It returns to the main theme to end making this a well structured track.

'Up and Down' has a slow paced cadence and measured vocal delivery. It feels relaxed and psychedelic with reverb on multi tracked vocals and wah wah guitar embellishments . The wandering bassline is well executed and I like the simple high hat work. It switches to a new time sig with glorious organ phrases. The lead break is superb, and as it shifts to a new time sig, staccato organ and bass are joined with sporadic drumming patterns. It pauses for a while until the slower signature returns and some spoken preaching sounding weird against the backdrop of Hammond, bass and drums. The scratchy organ that jumps in is delightful, forced and wonderfully trimmed with that raw 70s edge. The music swells up and down in volume and intensity with a genuine feeling of tension and release.

'Daybreak' is a shorter track that is dominated with a hard rock guitar and organ riff. It locks into the heavy tempo and there are orchestrated violin strings. A heavy fuzz distorted guitar crunches in and the groove constantly drives headlong as a lead guitar solo augments the atmosphere. There are vocal intonations and some wild percussion breaks.

'On The Road' is a fast rocking blaster with tons of hammering Hammond and a full on lead guitar freakout. The vocals are reverbed and strangely distant. The organ phrases are terrific and I absolutely love the psychedelia of explosive organ and guitar, making this one of the heaviest Eloy songs ever.

Overall, "Inside" is a fascinating nostalgic trip back to the psychedelic sound of early prog. Eloy are inventive and progressive throughout this earlier album. It may not be as good as the followup "Floating", but this is an improvement on the debut, and is full of some of the trippiest and heaviest music to ever emerge from the Eloy catalogue.

POWER AND THE PASSION

Eloy Power And The Passion album cover

5 stars "Power and the Passion" is another concept album for Eloy that surfaced at the peak of prog rock's domination in the mid 70s. The concept is as usual highly based on searching for an answer and travelling to a mystical land or the future to finds the answers, via a drug induced hallucinatory experience.

It begins with 'Introduction' that is a cathedral organ instrumental and this flows seamlessly into 'Journey into 1358'. This begins softly and then the tempo speeds up with fast paced organ phrases and Bornemann singing over a driving drum and bass rhythm.

The next movement of this suite of songs is 'Love over Six Centuries' with acoustics and gentle vocals. The track is 10 minutes and flows in a variety of directions; a bassline locks into a groove as a synth solos over. The staccato Hammond blasts at 2:40 are sensational with fuzz guitar riffs. It all pulls back then into tranquil ambience with sustained key pads and spoken dialogue; "my name is Jamie and mine is a strange story, one of which even I don't fully understand, my father is a scientist and he's been experimenting with time eroding drugs". Then he goes to the future, meets Jeanne who begins to tell her story, about a man who rules with an iron hand and an arranged marriage by her father. "Well, I see we've both got our problems," observes Jamie. Then they take some drugs together and Jeanne sees a sunset with psychedelic colours, and she ceases to worry. It really emulates the LSD experience and is quite blatant in that regard but quite compelling nevertheless.

The next part in the journey is 'Mutiny', another lengthy track of 9 minutes, with layers of synth. It builds with marching percussion and wonderful organ phrases along some haunting melodies. The music is powerful, sweeping and emotional, augmented by the lead guitar break. The pace shifts into a fast shuffling rhythm and some impressive keyboards and a jangling guitar. The vocals return to continue the estranged storyline. Jamie vows to protect Jeanne his beloved, "against the hated iron hands, they're uniting, They're backed by everyone in town, And I must ride to beat them down, how they're fighting, But I understand their cause, To fight against the laws, they're right, I promised to defend your father to the end and fight."

Next is 'Imprisonment', a sad ballad where Jamie cries out from his prison cell after being incarcerated for his mutinous ways. The lyrics are simply carrying the story through to the more elaborate tracks; "I know the feeling of rejection, To be imprisoned for no crime, So God please take me out of here, You are my one hope at this time." The guards come to release him and it moves to 'Daylight'. The lyrics state; "Living can be easy if you take life in your stride, I see new horizons push my loneliness aside." Now the protagonist is freed from his captives the tempo becomes faster again and the musicianship brighter, especially some exceptional guitar work that interplays with organ embellishments.

'Thoughts of Home' begins with Clavinet and a gentle vocal expresses that he will delve into magic to find his way home. This leads into the blistering guitar and Hammond crunches of 'The Zany Magician'. A role play of a nasty magic man ensues with an echoed manic delivery; "You'll forget where you've been, Forget what you've seen, You won't feel a thing, you just, Drink it all down, your heart will pound, See you around." So the protagonist is under the spell and we move onto "Back into the Present". The swirling syths and spacey effects represent the journey home, then a bright rock song strikes up. The vocals are multi tracked and some very trippy melodies dominate. This feels like a vintage psychedelic sound with mindblowing lead breaks and happy Hammond bursts. Jamie says people won't believe what he's seen so he goes to a disco with flashing lights to clear his thoughts and unwind.

A tolling bell intros the final piece of the puzzle, 'The Bells of Notre Dame' and this is followed by tranquil synth pads. The soft vocals infuse the sound and some enigmatic lyrics; "The world seems to start outside of my body, I don't know what I feel, In these four hallowed walls, The peal of the bells remind me, Of my journey through time." The remix of this song is similar but has some clearer varied musical interludes.

At the end of this journey one is left with some fascinating ideas that are encased in incredible musicianship. The concept may come across as convoluted in places, but Eloy make it work somehow such is the conviction of their sprawling vision. It all seems to makes sense and the major source of joy of this album is the way it seamlessly flows from one idea to the next. This is Eloy at their most innovative and it would not be the last time they would venture into high concept as "Dawn" follows, with an even more complex storyline. It is an ambitious project but I admire how Eloy come up with one staggering album after another, brimming over with innovation. Many of the ideas on the album, the meeting of characters, the journey, the spoken dialogue and the musical dialogue between tracks signifying key scenes, has been done before of course, but this is still a highly inventive and refreshing approach to the medium. I am in awe of how brilliant this band is; a true revelation of symphonic prog, and yet again creating a masterpiece album in 1975.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - June 10 2012 at 09:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:01
another masterpiece!

DAWN

Eloy Dawn album cover

5 stars A crash of thunder, rain and storm clouds of orchestra strings opens up the magnificent "Dawn" by Eloy. Bornemann's familiar vocals soon come in and a beautiful acoustic flourish on 'Awakening'. The concept album was a huge drawcard to album listeners in the 70s and Eloy always delivered some of the best conceptual masterworks. The music with lengthy jamming instrumental was always designed for the conceptual link between songs and Eloy delighted listeners with lengthy complex compositions with reflective lyrics. The combination of virtuoso musicianship and high concept lyrical themes is an irresistible force and 1976 was at the peak of prog. Bands could get away with virtually anything and were free to express their own ideas through music no matter how outlandish.

"Dawn" is a complex album with some huge ideas put to very impressive musical themes. The tracks run together almost seamlessly as one and there are multi movement suites that encompass several songs such as 'Between The Times' in 3 sections with a variety of styles and time signatures, with inventive musical breaks.

These moments are definitely highlights and at times the music is uplifting and very emotionally charged such as the beautiful melancholia of 'The Sun Song.' The stirring majestic orchestral score at the end of this track is stunning; as good as the symphonic material on The Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed".

The majesty continues on 'The Dance in Doubt and Fear', with organic keyboards that glide over a strong percussive hook and pulsing bassline. Bornemann narrates the ideas and the music is allowed to flow along on beautiful key pads. The music soars to the stratosphere and is perhaps some of the loveliest musicianship from Eloy.

'LOST!?' in 2 parts is next beginning with 'Introduction', made up of deep chanting and synthlines. The bass and drums hook into a moderate tempo and a keyboard solo follows. After a passage of vocals ad uplifting music, the sound of waves crashing is heard followed by gorgeous emotional violins.

The second section is 'The Decision' beginning with cathedral organ in the vein of Sky's 'Toccata'. The currents of guitar lines flow on a river of synthesizer. It slowly ebbs meandering until Hammond and bass crash in. This is mesmirising music and it builds so gradually until Bornemann's vocals return like an old friend. The wall of synth is so effervescent and ethereal, and at the end a howling wind emanates.

'The Midnight-fight/ the Victory of Mental Force', an 8 minute prog feast, begins with a fast vocal delivery and an off beat bass heartbeat. The fast tempo drums are outstanding and later there are powerful string eruptions to augment the atmosphere of a battle in the heavenlies. The interlude is full of heavy Hammond shimmers and some dynamic percussion and bass. The lyrics are excellent too with effective rhyming phrases following the intricate musicianship. An echoed guitar stabs as violin strings ooze over gliding down over the melodies. The signature shifts again into a frenetic pace and some incredible keyboard, guitar strikes and jazzy percussion dominates.

'Gliding into Light and Knowledge' opens with weird bird calls and an acoustic layer. The ambience is joined with an accordion sound along a rhythmical figure. Bornemann sings phrases such as "where is the sun", "I'm gliding into light and knowledge and crossing everlasting pastures", "we live in here we suffered here", "into the everlasting future".

'Le Reveil du Soleil/ the Dawn' closes the album with a bass intro and some spacey synths and chimes. A spoken word is heard before an elongated passage of music with some angelic choral voices. The mood is like the dawning of a new day. A gong resounds and some vibrant percussion metrical figures before a loud synth takes over. The album ends on a majestic uplifting note as if dawn is closing in and the world is again at peace. The album has been a breathtaking momentous work of innovation.

"Dawn" is a stunning achievement; conceptually masterful with some of the most incredible musicianship of the mid 70s when prog was flourishing. The album stands out as another landmark for Eloy, along with "Ocean" and "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes". A symphonic work of beauty, it is a diamond studded jewel in the treasure chest of progressive milestones.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:39

The early albums are slightly off my radar but I listened to Floating the other day and was surprised how powerfull it was. This was what Deep Purple might have ended up doing if Lord hadn't got stage fright

FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 11:24

Currently my favorite German group next to Kraftwerk.

I've only listened to Dawn, Ocean, and Silent Cries & Mighty Echoes. I plan on listening to Floating next. I haven't delved too deep into the band, but I enjoy Frank's singing the most and excited to see how the band transformed throughout time.

I was able to get 6 Eloy albums from ebay but cant get hold of Metromania, Ra or Planets for a decent price. I wonder if they are worth getting or if anyone could tell me any decent songs from those albums. I can hear them on spotify too to check out albums. No disappointments yet I must admit.

Discogs doubles as a marketplace for buy records/CDs/cassettes/DVDs that individual users are selling. Pretty sure you could find Planets or Metromania in there. Similar to ebay but without that bidding, but most users like the PayPal method...Ermm

Edited by FromAbove - June 10 2012 at 11:26
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 13:29
ACR: It appears you've only had these albums for two days or so.  Is that really enough time to give an honest review?  How many times did you listen to each?  Not trying to second guess you, but I could never give a good opinion of an album after only a few days and a few listens.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
tigka_progka View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 01:07
EuLOgY !

Grande band! Chapeau to Dawn, Floating, Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes  and Ocean. 

I'm still missing Visionary, though. I thought that i could find it in one of my record hunting trips to Germany (and thus saving the postage fees from ordering online).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 07:44
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

ACR: It appears you've only had these albums for two days or so.  Is that really enough time to give an honest review?  How many times did you listen to each?  Not trying to second guess you, but I could never give a good opinion of an album after only a few days and a few listens.

I see your point - before I bought the albums I listened to all of them quite a few times on Spotify. All the albums are up so thanks To Eloy for allowing their albums to be available for listening to - no downloads of course on Spotify.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 07:54
I need to listen to more Eloy.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 20:49

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I see your point - before I bought the albums I listened to all of them quite a few times on Spotify. All the albums are up so thanks To Eloy for allowing their albums to be available for listening to - no downloads of course on Spotify.

Ah, got it.  I myself don't use Spotify much.  But you've inspired me to check out more Eloy.  All I have at the moment is Inside (good) and Visionary (not so much).

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 06:23
Okay just heard another masterpiece - this one has been brewing for some time as I had a few songs previous to the whole album but this is an incredible album

My Review:

"Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes"

5 stars Eloy's music organically ebbs and flows with an ineffaceable virtuosity.

It is difficult to see where the pinnacle of Eloy's career is located but surely it must have been during the mid 70s with 4 masterpieces in a row being churned out, many of which were visionary concept albums; "Floating" (1974), "Power and the Passion" (1975), "Dawn" (1976) and then they stunned us with "Ocean" (1977). One would be forgiven for thinking that these were hard acts to follow and their glory days may be coming to an end. However Eloy had other ideas and created what many consider to be their all time master work, the amazing "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes" (1979). Once again it was a massive concept album with some very complex and ingenious passages of music. It is even more stunning as it came in 1979 when prog was beginning to grind to a halt with the upsurgence of new temporary fads of music such as interminable punk and even worse the disco infestation. Nobody, except the very discerning music connoisseur, cared about concept albums and lengthy compositions with time sig changes and virtuoso musicianship.

All that was required to get people hyped was a 3 minute song with 3 chords and no singing ability; I present The Sex Pistols. If that was too heavy for you, there was always the booming beat, with orchestra strings, funkadelic bass and manufactured singing; I give you the discoteque scene. As shameful as these musical diversions that lasted a few years were, prog rock had no chance and the synthesizer was about to become the best friend of the 80s, with the rise of new Romanticism and processed artists churned out of a mixing machine in a studio. The artists didn't even need to perform live anymore as lip synching for TV appearances was sufficient and if you couldn't sing, fine as long as you looked pretty and could make girls scream. Again bands like Eloy were doomed. You either jumped on the bandwagon and emulated the next big thing or your career was sunk. One prog band after another sunk without trace to the bottom of the ocean, swallowed up by the craze of the inferior musical landscape of disco and commercialism, and the ones that survived had to transform image and sound or end up also drowned in their own progressive juices. Genesis, Rush, ELP and Yes were victims of the new changes and gained new fans but lost old ones. Pink Floyd were about to change their sound after enormous success with the mother of all concept albums "The Wall" right on the cusp of 1979.

Where did Eloy fit into all this? They decided to bite the bullet and produced another concept album with huge progressive delicacies, and the result is one of the best progressive albums of 1979, and indeed one of their triumphs among a plethora of 70s masterpieces. It was to be one of their last crowning achievements, though "Colours" (1980), "Planets" (1981) and "Time to Turn" (1982) proved they still had some excellent musical ideas left in the tank.

"Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes" opens with the ominous drone of a synth, with majestic cathedral organ. The opening of 'Astral Entrance' as the soft guitar chimes in, is reminiscent of Pink Floyd's 'Shine On' intro with the same measured tranquil beauty and atmospherics. It builds with 'Master of Sensation', with a faster cadence and strong vocals by Bornemann. His delivery is quite forced with Hawkwind spacey echoes; "It is real, so unreal, it's the magic sign, Make us rise, makes us kneel on the edge of time, Here dwells the lord of creation, Here comes the master of sensation." Even the lyrics by Jürgen Rosenthal have Hawkwind references but no complaints from me as I love that. The instrumental section is dynamic with trade-offs of synth and lead guitar. As usual the heavy use of Hammond is electrifying. The band are incredible when they are in full flight on these instrumental sections. The lead break is awesome and this is a powerful way to open this album on every level. The cathedral organ at the end is absolutely wonderful. A triumphant song by Eloy and they are at their best here.

After an energetic opening the album moves into a tranquil passage of music with a 15 minute suite of songs under the banner of 'The Apocalypse' in 3 sections. The first part is 'Silent Cries Divide the Nights' and I am almost in tears at the beauty of the music at 1:58. The lead guitar augments the beauty with spacey echoes over a layer of synth pads and a pulsating bassline. The music organically ebbs and flows with an ineffaceable virtuosity. Bornemann's vocals are transfixing on part 2 "The Vision ? Burning", as he sings of esoteric and high conceptual thoughts of the astral plain of existence; "The air will be afraid of our mortal frame, Ethereal we are, the air we breathe, The storm that's stirring up all fire, I see, our life and limb will still, Not come to harm at the moment, That's the reason why we still think, Of everything to be alright, But our hidden souls already dwell, In seas of flames, red hot solution." The next section is an ethereal instrumental, "Force Majeure", with some angelic female intonations, something like 'Great Gig in the Sky'. The lengthy instrumental section contains some breathtaking musicianship, with buzzsaw synths, mellotron nuances and emotional guitar soloing. At the end it even reminds me of 'Thus Spake Zarathustra'. Then the rhythm changes into a pulsating electronic sound like Jean Michel Jarre and some swirling synths take it into the stratosphere. There is not a moment that does not take my breath away with the powerful jaw dropping musical intensity. It really is a work of mesmirising beauty concluding another stunning masterpiece track for the band.

Next up is "Pilot to Paradise" driven by an undulating bassline by Klaus-Peter Matziol and powerhouse keyboard playing. This is a wonderful track and especially exciting due to some glorious vocals and an exuberant tempo. The musicianship is exceptional particularly the keyboard finesse of Detlev Schmidtchen trading off with the soaring guitars of Bornemann.

'De Labore Solis' is a mellow ballad with softer vocals and ambient keyboard with acoustic layers'; mesmirising and beautiful. 'Mighty Echoes' closes the album with a very melodic infectious atmosphere. There is a nice steady rhythmic pace, and Bornemann's vocals are simply stunning here; so original and emotional. There is a tirade of symphonic keyboards and guitars that drive the melody. The two bonus tracks on the remaster are very worthwhile, featuring 'Child Migration' with amazing percussion from Jürgen Rosenthal and a rollicking tempo, and 'Let The Sun Rise In My Brain' with Moog synths and cosmic space rock nuances with some wonderful flute solos.

Overall, "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes" is a sensational album, with some of Eloy's best songs of their lengthy career. It is totally killer and no filler, and came out at a time when prog was beginning to decline. The no-holds barred original approach to the music is awe inspiring, and sets them apart, though they clearly are enamoured with Pink Floyd (but who wasn't?). The musicianship is virtuoso and overflows with innovation and power from beginning to end. Once again Eloy has produced a masterpiece and I am in awe of how they can consistently produce one brilliant album after another; "Floating", "Power and the Passion", "Dawn", "Ocean" and now this album are 5 star treasures of prog. The band would produce other excellent albums after this, not masterpieces but still incredible music by any standard. Eloy are one of the greatest prog bands and deserve the highest recommendation.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 00:56
Nice review Scott, even though I don't hold the album as high as you do, I love it as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 09:35
^^^ Thanks heaps!
Moths View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 07:43

Nope there is a bunch of albums missing from Spotify (unless one get more music with the more expensive subscription). I have Spotify unlimited and from what I can see the albums in bold is missing

Eloy     1971
Inside     1973
Floating     1974
Power and the Passion     1975
Dawn     1976
Ocean     1977
Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes     1979
Colours     1980
Planets     1981
Time to Turn     1982
Performance     1983
Metromania     1984
Codename Wildgeese     1985 (This is basically the soundtrack to the old war movie)
Ra     1988
Destination     1992
The Tides Return Forever     1994
Ocean 2: The Answer     1998
Visionary     2009

Been listing to Eloy since Silent Cries came out and have all the albums . The band has imho had some serious up's and downs over the years.
Personally I don't care much for the earlier stuff before Ocean. Silent cries and mighty echoes starts a period in Eloy's history where they really kick ass. This goes on through Colours, Planets and Time to turn.

Performance is a bit weaker. The band tries to break some new ground with more straight forward shorter rocksongs. There is some damned good tracks here but I guess a lot of the old fans started to have doubts about where the band was going.

Metromania carry on in the same vain but imo both songwriting and production on Metromania is better. In fact I think it's so good I regard it up there with Colours even if the style is very different.

Codename Wildgeese is not my cup of tea at all. It's a movie sound track and not an Eloy album. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING

Then comes RA..... What can I say.... production is HORRIBLE. Eloy by now only consistes of Frank and multi instrumentalist Michael Gerlach. I think with a full band and better production this could have been decent at least.
Second album by the duo is Destination that I listened two twice and then repressed that I own it.

In 1994 Matziol returned and suddenly the band sounds good (not great) on The tides return forever.
It's not until Ocean2 the band finally hit the nail and return to form.
Unfortunately they do not manage to truely follow up Ocean2 with Visionary but I still thinks it's a decent album.

Have anyone here been able to compare the remasters to the old releases? My experience is that on many remasters they rise the volume and use way to much compression, totally destroying the dynamics on the albums. The first remasters of Gentle Giant's albums comes into mind.

Cheers!
Steve
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 07:58
^^^ Nice post!

I have yet to experience some of those more recent releases but I did like Visionary a lot. Almost as good as older albums/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 14:33
Originally posted by Moths Moths wrote:

Nope there is a bunch of albums missing from Spotify (unless one get more music with the more expensive subscription). I have Spotify unlimited and from what I can see the albums in bold is missing

Eloy     1971
Inside     1973
Floating     1974
Power and the Passion     1975
Dawn     1976
Ocean     1977
Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes     1979
Colours     1980
Planets     1981
Time to Turn     1982
Performance     1983
Metromania     1984
Codename Wildgeese     1985 (This is basically the soundtrack to the old war movie)
Ra     1988
Destination     1992
The Tides Return Forever     1994
Ocean 2: The Answer     1998
Visionary     2009

Been listing to Eloy since Silent Cries came out and have all the albums . The band has imho had some serious up's and downs over the years.
Personally I don't care much for the earlier stuff before Ocean. Silent cries and mighty echoes starts a period in Eloy's history where they really kick ass. This goes on through Colours, Planets and Time to turn.

Performance is a bit weaker. The band tries to break some new ground with more straight forward shorter rocksongs. There is some damned good tracks here but I guess a lot of the old fans started to have doubts about where the band was going.

Metromania carry on in the same vain but imo both songwriting and production on Metromania is better. In fact I think it's so good I regard it up there with Colours even if the style is very different.

Codename Wildgeese is not my cup of tea at all. It's a movie sound track and not an Eloy album. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING

Then comes RA..... What can I say.... production is HORRIBLE. Eloy by now only consistes of Frank and multi instrumentalist Michael Gerlach. I think with a full band and better production this could have been decent at least.
Second album by the duo is Destination that I listened two twice and then repressed that I own it.

In 1994 Matziol returned and suddenly the band sounds good (not great) on The tides return forever.
It's not until Ocean2 the band finally hit the nail and return to form.
Unfortunately they do not manage to truely follow up Ocean2 with Visionary but I still thinks it's a decent album.

Have anyone here been able to compare the remasters to the old releases? My experience is that on many remasters they rise the volume and use way to much compression, totally destroying the dynamics on the albums. The first remasters of Gentle Giant's albums comes into mind.

Cheers!
Steve
Good summation

On the subject of remasters there is nothing as bad in Eloy's back catologue as the 25th anniversary release of In A Glass House!

I only had the orginal CD's of Time To Turn and Planets and then gobbled up all the Eloy remasters as they became available. Time To Turn and Planets are fine to my ears. The subject of compression v dynamics is certainly a much discussed subject on PA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>