Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho Toured With Your Favorite Prog Artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 20:11
Aussie legends Sebastian Hardie opened for Yes in Melbourne 2003. Knockout guitarist Mario Millo was mid Gilmour-inspired massive epic guitar solo to wrap up their set, when a Yes roadie kicked the plug on them and killed the band stone dead. A total disgrace.

Apparently something about union regulations meaning the show had to finish by a certain time, and Yes' performance was to run for a set time that the show would have risked running overtime...

But it must have been karma, because the Yes performance was riddled with distortion, hissing and crackling throughout the first 45 minutes, even leading to Steve Howe to crack it and stop mid performance!

I like to think the plug was pulled on Sebatian Hardie because they were totally upstaging the main band!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 20:20
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I saw Atomic Rooster in the early 80's on a reunion tour, they were supporting a minor metal band called Spider. They were great, I didn't stay for Spider.

hey, man, i would have given anything to have seen Rooster at that time, some of their greatest music (the early 80s EPs) came from that time. What was the location? Was John du Cann with them?
Unfortunately not, it was Newcatle City Hall Oct '83 & du Cann had left by then, I can't remember who played guitar but it was probably either Bernie Torme or John Mizarolli.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 15 2012 at 20:21
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 21:53
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

At the only Rush show I've been to (I'm going again in a couple of weeks though!), I remember "MR. BIG" was the opening act.  I don't remember much about them except that people make fun of them a lot.
Presto tour.  I don't remember anything about them, either.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 13:45
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Emerson, Lake and Palmer opened (45m) for Tull during the summer of '96.

Full Tarkus suite/Knife Edge/Hoedown/Great Gates of Kiev...
Wow!

Yeah it was awesome! Saw them twice (1st time for me, both bands) within a week in August '96:
Toronto and Hartford. Both were great but the security in Toronto was over zealous in places (good old outdoor festival). During the middle of the Tull set a fellow concertgoer came to us, pissed out, to complain that we were too loud and that he could not hear the music (Boo - A bunch of kids yelling, clapping and screaming at a rock concert). I replied to him that the next time he should stay home and rent a concert on video. A couple of minutes later he went to a security guy and chat with him a couple of minutes before returning to his seat looking even more frustrated.   Maryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

At the end of the concert, everybody rushed to the front rows for the encore, that's when the security came into action asking everyone to return to their seats and asking for concert tickets. A guy in front of the stage threw his vinyl copy of Thick as a Brick onto the stage to have it signed, which Ian did, and gave it back to him. Two guys came to him and they kicked him out of the place but the look on the guy's face was priceless, signed TAAB in hand: The brightest of smiles. The Hartford concert was much more relaxed. I've checked into the boxes last night and found the set list :

Emerson, Lake and Palmer (approx. 55 minutes) :

Hoedown
Knife Edge
Bitches Crystal
Keith's solo
Still You Turn Me On
Tarkus
The Great Gates of Kiev
Lucky Man
Fanfare for the Common Man
Rondo (drum solo)

Jethro Tull :

In A Stone Circle
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
Bourrée
Dangerous Veils
In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff
Up The Pool
After Circle
Beside Myself
In The Time Of India/
Bonbay Valentine
Nothing is Easy
Keyboard Solo
Farm on the Freeway
My God
Locomotive Breath

Encore : Cross-Eyed Mary/Thick

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 17:18
I saw ELP once, during their first time in Ottawa, in Jan. 1993 at the Ottawa Congress Center. There was no other supporting act.They were great! Started off with Tarkus (though not the whole suite), and also did Still...You Turn Me On, part of Pictures, and a really cool instrumental jazz trio piece with Emerson leading on piano-awesome. And a super Carl Palmer drum solo. Those are the details i remember.

Edited by presdoug - October 16 2012 at 17:20
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 00:34
Oddly enough, Kraftwerk opened for Radiohead in my town. RH fans didn't reacted very well to the crazy german krautrockers, which I find very sad.
Now that we're speaking  about gigs in my town I'd like to share two experiences because weird stuff tends to happen here. I saw Deep Purple in 2006 which was awesome of course, but I had to stand an amateurish, run-of-the-mill brit-pop wannabe local band that played like they really had some bladder urgencies. Also, I saw Iron Maiden in 2011 (the gig that was recorded for their En Vivo dvd), and Exodus opened for them. Far better, although I'm not a thrash metal fan myself.
To be honest I tend to dislike opening acts. That's why it was so awesome for me that Rush had this "An Evening With" format for their gig in my town. The same goes for Steven Wilson, which is probably the best gig I've attended, although it was a regular gig in terms of duration.

Edited by javier0889 - October 17 2012 at 00:35
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123