Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny Procol Harum lovers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 02:59

I had to fight the big fight to get Procol Harum included. There was major reticence and even a thread claiming them not being prog, comparing them with Bruce Springsteen, Creedence CR and joe Cocker .  MMMMMMMmmmmmhhhh..... This guy knew what he was talking about!

The first album has Repent Walpurgis and Gates Of Cerdes outside of Whiter Shade Of Pale (not on the original vinyl. though).

Shine On Brightly: Moogtron, I never thought somebody would bring that up! Been on my mind for years , but never dared to say it to Genesis fans, fearing for my life if I did.

A Salty Dog and Home have fine tracks but the Hammond Organ is clearly taking a step back and the sound is more aggressive. Broken Barricade is IMHO , Brooker trying to make Trower happy as that is almost only riffy guitar tracks, not even good ones , though as Brooker had to compose for guitar on a piano! Trower was still not happy and took off for the superb solo carreer we know.

Edmonton was a superb recap and my fave with the first two. Grand Hotel , Exotic Birds and Ninth are all correct albums but only about a third of the tracks I really enjoy.

Magic was IMHO everything but and was even ridiculous especially the suite. Wrong Timing for such an epic.

Prodigal Son , I have not heard but Well's On Fire is correct on Grand Hotel level.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 03:22

Originally posted by beterdedthnred4 beterdedthnred4 wrote:

I have their first 4 albums and Live in Edmondton (spelling?) and I can't get enough.

Quite Rightly So is one of the most perfect songs ever written

For you whose eyes are open wide
Whilst mine refuse to see
I'm so in need of saving grace
Be kind and humour me

I totally agree ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 03:37

The DVD Live at Union Chapel is excellent doing all their classic bar Whaling Stories and ITHII suite.

Brooker and Fischer are in excellent shape and Geoff Whitehorn plays very well (but does not fill Robin's shoes). Very much a treat!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Drachen Theaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 03:58
I like their early stuff a lot - haven't heard any of the
later albums.

Pilgrim's Progress (off Salty Dog) is one of my
favourite
tracks of all time. That fade out with the organ/piano
riff, ethereal vocals and gorgeous drumming - pure
musical heaven!

Edited by Drachen Theaker
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt
M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 07:34
Procol Harum could be called as a proto-prog band, helping to set things straight in 1967. But most of their work is not progressive. So what? Genesis lasted 27 years, and only seven of it are progressive (1970-1977). Prog rock or not, Procol Harum was at their peak an excellent band which recorded some of the most beautiful songs in all rock'n'roll scene: "A Whiter Shade of Pale", "Repent Walpurgis", "A Salty Dog", "Pilgrim's Progress", "Broken Barricades", "Grand Hotel", "Whaling Stories", "Broken Barricades", "As Strong As Samson", et cetera.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 09:03

This is one of the most controversial bands for me (one that creates big controversy, within my musical taste!): It is simply a proto-prog band, much influenced by and depending on blues (the genre I hate the most, along with simple pop and punk...), which writes shorter, mainstream, simple, accesible songs in opposition to the side length intricate epics and electronic experimentals of my favorite bands Yes, King Crimson, Tangerine Dream, Amon Düül II, Eloy, Van Der Graaf Generator etc....

but...

this is a big but, which means I simply love this band!!!
The same factors partly account for Traffic, who nevertheless has the jazzy and experimental edge.

I downloaded each one of their albums I could find, with the exception of "Home" and "Broken Barricades", which, from Moogtron III's explanation, I understand to be the most experimental albums! I better be quick to get them somehow, too! Not to mention the orchestra supported live album . I have the rest "classic" albums, plus 1991's and 2003's reunion efforts, and a best of (A&M edition) in mp3 format.

I want to mention one album, which actually closes the classical PH period, but mostly overlooked and underrated by many (including those in this thread so far): Procol's Ninth. The songs might mot be as superb as you expect (with the previous Procol albums in mind), but I believe it is even better than Grand Hotel and Exotic Birds. (I think many are overwhelmed by the fact that the name is simply an allusion to Beethoven's Ninth... Don't be fooled, many albums with great sounding original names fail to please musically)
Another highly-underrated album is Something Magic (even called by some fans as "Something Tragic!!!), which has another side-long epic "The Worm and the Tree"... Albeit not brilliant as "In held 'twas in I", I believe this one surpasses the shorter tracks in the previous three albums. (it seems most people don't like the way Brooker speaks, instead of singing... what the hell, the song is over there with all its brilliance...)

Unfortunately the band failed to deliver such classic works after their reunion in the '90's, and even 2003's The Well's on Fire is a disaster. Such a bad conclusion for a classic band like this!

Edited by Bilek
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Tonny Larz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 11:06

I really like the first 3-4 albums by Procol.....and yes ,Sean...it truly is prog...so

thanks for gettin´them in here !!! ive heard most of the later albums,but they do

not seem to have the same impact on me as the aformentioned. However the

brilliant Robin trower went on to do even ...dare i say it ..greater stuff on his

solo albums....than that of the early Procol albums. I guess you could call it

blues prog....especially on his: "Bridge of sighs" / " For earth below" /  "Long misty days".

Also...as mentioned...Procol harum "Live" ( In Copenhagen) and  " Union chappel"

are great live performances...although Geoff whitehorn...doesnt reach the Trower

level at any point !!!

"Everybody wants to go to heaven,but nobody want to die"
quote unknown.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 11:24

I think that PROCOL HARUM's music is mostly art-rock with some occasional traces of symphonic prog - they played an important role in the seminal years of prog rock, but they didn't go much further exploring the whole potential of prog (as opposed to Emerson in the last Nice albums and ELP, or KC, for example), so I guess that they remained proto-prog all through the years, even when it became fashionable and later, when it started its mid-70s decay. That being said, THEIR '72 LIVE ALBUM WITH THE EDMONTON ORCHESTRA IS ONE OF THE BEST PROG ROCK LIVE ALBUMS EVER!!!... AT LEAST, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Regards.

jojim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 17:48
"Whisky train" on "HOME" is for me the ultimate rock song. It's pure energy and drive. Nobody could imagine that they were able to do that. The whole album is highly dramatic - and heavy concerning the sound. I like it very much.
YES - Close to the edge / UK - UK / GENESIS - The lamb lies down / KING CRIMSON - Discipline / MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular bells / JETHRO TULL - Aqualung / GENTLE GIANT - Three friends / TMO - IMF
cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 18:38
I don't have any of their albums yet, which one do you suggest I try first?
cmidkiff
CrazyDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 20:25

Procol Harum.. I've just bought their "First album...Plus!" in wich there are different takes and some unknown songs. Great band, I like "In held twas in I" a lot.  

___BYE___

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 22:44

Originally posted by cmidkiff cmidkiff wrote:

I don't have any of their albums yet, which one do you suggest I try first?

I suggest you start with the following three:
  1. Either their debut or "Shine On Brightly"
  2. "Home"
  3. "Grand Hotel"

If you like these but you don't get too excited about them, try their amazing "Live at Edmonton", so maybe you could see the first two of the above under a new light and complete your knowledge about PH's more orchestral side. If still you don't get too excited about them, don't go any further. If you enjoy them all, just buy the reamining 60s and 70s albums and keep on enjoying. My fave PH studio albums are "Shine On Brightly" and "Grand Hotel", with "Home" and "Broken Barricades" as close seconds.

Regards.

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 22:48
Lots of PH fans out there then ... I started a favourite PH album poll in the prog polls section ... I'm curious to see which album is most popular ... Grand Hotel has taken a surprising early lead ... although most who have posted in this thread seem to favour Shine On Brightly ....
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

Retroventuremod View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 01:02
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

I like their early work quite lots! The band was quite succesful in Finland at the 60's, and you can find their albums easily from any major CD store around here. My favourite albums from them are "Home" and the orch.live from 1972.

[QUOTE=Moogtron III]...procul harum in Latin...

Hmmm I should do my music shopping in Finland then, I've looked in all sorts of music stores for Procol Harum, and the only Cd ive found is a "best of"
I asked Bobby Dylan
I asked the Beatles
I asked Timothy Leary
But he couldn't help me either
They call me the seeker

THE WHO!
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 20:02
Originally posted by Retroventuremod Retroventuremod wrote:

Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

I like their early work quite lots! The band was quite succesful in Finland at the 60's, and you can find their albums easily from any major CD store around here. My favourite albums from them are "Home" and the orch.live from 1972.

[QUOTE=Moogtron III]...procul harum in Latin...

Hmmm I should do my music shopping in Finland then, I've looked in all sorts of music stores for Procol Harum, and the only Cd ive found is a "best of"

Today, I saw here in Mexico City in a Record shop  a package called "The First Four". It is an import package (I don`t remember the place of mfg.) which has the "Procol Harum", "Shine on Brightly", "A Salty Dog" and "Home" albums in 2 CDs.

But it is hard to find other albums by this band here, like "Grand Hotel", "Ninth", "Something Magic", "Exotic Birds and Fruit".

Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 12:31
not quite Biggles territory ... but I have just listened to 10 PH albums in a row ... plus reviewed two compilations I had on casette ... that Gary Brooker's got a set of pipes ... I'm tellin ya'

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 00:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Broken Barricade is IMHO , Brooker trying to make Trower happy as that is almost only riffy guitar tracks, not even good ones , though as Brooker had to compose for guitar on a piano! Trower was still not happy and took off for the superb solo carreer we know.

This was the last PH album I heard ... and you're right very riffy, but aside from Simple Sister, not even the best riffy songs,

I notice the organ really took a step back when Chris Copping came in and was doubling up on bass and organ for Home and Broken Barricades ... good thing they fixed this problem and made Grand Hotel, Exotic Birds and Procol's Ninth ... a really excellent second wind!

ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 08:14

Along with NICE and MOODY BLUES, PROCOL HARUM was one of the first progressive rock band.

Leader Gary Brooker, after the experirence in the band PARAMOUNTS ( an R&B band who survived until 1965), formed a connexion with lyricist KEITH REID and with him attempted to combine rock's structure with classical music. In the spring of 1967 they recorded "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", a song constructed on BACH's "Aria Sulla Quarta Corda" ( like COLOSSEUM did on their debut album).

The song had a great success ( first position in England) and it was voted the best English song of the seventies.

Progressive Rock was born on those Baroque melodies.

My favourite albums :

1. PROCOL HARUM
  2. SHINE ON BRIGHTLY
  3. A SALTY DOG
  4. HOME
  5. LIVE IN CONCERT WITH EDMONTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 09:08
Well, I have all their studio albuns plus the live with Edmonton Orchestra. I can assure they're progressive (one of the first prog bands along The Moody Blues and The Nice). They were different because the band has two keyboard players and it was the first band to have a lyricist just to make the lyrics (and Keith Reid did the lyrics of all their own compositions).

The three ones blend psychedelic, classical and blues. Their masterpiece is in Shine On Brightly, that is the suite In Held twas in I, probably the first progressive rock suite with lots of instruments, five great parts, sound effects, etc.  Their third, A Salty Dog, is more symphonic, with orchestral parts and beautiful arrangements

Then, with Fisher's departure, the spot goes to guitar. Home and Broken Barricades have more hard rock influences, though progressive and even symphonic. Simple Sister, Broken Barricades, Whaling Stories are great songs of these albums.

Then there's the great concert with orchestra, where everything is perfect.

After Trower's departure, the spot goes to Brooker, and his pompous arrangemets. Grand Hotel, Exotic Birds and Fruits, Procol's Ninth and Something Magic are all this way. The last one has a great suite, of 18 minutes. For me it's very interesting with great arrangements, moog passages and so on. All of them are great albums with good songs.

Then their nineties comeback is the least interesting, because there lacks a good bass and good drums. Although there are Brooker, Fisher and Trower, in this album we can see how a good bassist and a good drummer are important. Despite of the beautiful arrangements trying to do something like they did in the mid seventies, the drums and the bass can't help making the sound turn poppish. And the well is on fire is a decent album, with Brooker and Fisher, and good musicians in guitar, bass and drums, in the level of seventies album. There are great songs, mainly the instrumental that closes the album. 

Well, I like them all and Shine on Brightly and A Salty Dog are frequently in my sound system. They're very underrated and should be taken away of this full of prejudice definition proto-prog and put in the major categories (as they should do with the Moody Blues and the Nice).
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 09:46
I like Procol Harum's music. I don't know if I like the music as much, at the point to become their lover because of their musical acomplishment, but yes, I do think they are a great band.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>