Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen was the last time you heard Tarkus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:34
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I really like side 2. But then, I am what one calls an "ELP fan".

In the vinyl days I might sometimes listen to side 1 only, but since the CD age if I listen to Tarkus I always listen to the whole thing, I like side 2 more than enough too.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I really like side 2. But then, I am what one calls an "ELP fan".

In the vinyl days I might sometimes listen to side 1 only, but since the CD age if I listen to Tarkus I always listen to the whole thing, I like side 2 more than enough too.

It's nice to see that not everyone has a downer on it. It definitely has a different flavour to Tarkus itself....but that's one reason why I like it. Vive la difference! 
bb1319 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:01
Originally posted by FromAbove FromAbove wrote:

Originally posted by bb1319 bb1319 wrote:

Maybe 3 months ago, and I hardly ever listen to the B side. I've heard the B side maybe three times total and thought it was utter garbage.

I still haven't heard anything from the second side except for Infinite Space (Conclusion), and I still can't remember it. Maybe I should even dare to listen to that Side 2.

You're not missing much, unless you're a die hard ELP fanatic, in which case maybe it is possible to like the B side. I mean, I could spare you the whole side and tell you to just listen to "Are You Ready, Eddie?", which is about the biggest b*****dization of Chuck Berry-style rock 'n roll I have ever heard.
"I'd say that what we hear is the quality of our listening." -Robert Fripp
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:03
Side 2
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 18:00

Originally posted by bb1319 bb1319 wrote:

You're not missing much, unless you're a die hard ELP fanatic, in which case maybe it is possible to like the B side. I mean, I could spare you the whole side and tell you to just listen to "Are You Ready, Eddie?", which is about the biggest b*****dization of Chuck Berry-style rock 'n roll I have ever heard.

Alright then. I'll think about it and get listening to it when the 3 disc comes out.

Side 2

Thank you for your input and help SnowDog.

I hope I'll enjoy Side 2.

Edited by FromAbove - June 11 2012 at 18:01
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 21:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I also never said pretentious, just bombastic and over the top, again rather different things.

WTF???     Confused   Confused    Confused

We just defined bombastic as pretentious.  Straight from a genuine dictionary. Approve

First we were arguing against ELP - Tarkus

Now we are arguing against reality!

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....Shocked

@Laz:  How did we get you in a corner so easily???  I am surprised.Wink
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 21:40
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

You know, I'm always stunned when prog fans suggest that "bombastic" and "pretentious" are somehow negative in music.  Prog is nothing, if not bombastic and pretentious.  I mean really, that was the whole point!!!  To move rock music beyond the blues framework it was born out of.

Frankly, I've always loved ELP for those traits.  I don't listen to them regularly anymore (did plenty of that in the 90's), but I still pull out an album or two ever couple years and marvel at how excellent it all still sounds.  Tarkus was always my favorite, and I love the "B" side.......though not as much as the title suite, to be sure.

Wassup Skippy????

Your 1st paragraph is spot on, IMHO.  There is a syndrome when a musician is SO over the top brilliant and then the band becomes very big, people just find fault for fault's sake or to take a shot at "the giant".  I am not sayin Laz did that,  (I think he just got his words all jumbled for a wee bit...)

As far as side 2 of Tarkus, for all the side 2 naysayers here, a closer review might prove helpful.

1. Jeremy Bender -  People accuse Keith of being "bombastic"(pretentious) but when he lightens it up with a nice little ragtime ditty on Jeremy Bender, people criticize that as being trivial. fact is most of Keith's hero musicians were old ragtime piano players, so JB is about as "Keith Emerson" as you can get!

2. Bitches Crystal -  A pure rocker showcasing Greg Lake's awesome tenor and his vocal forcefullness.  Wicked piano all throughout the song.  ELP is a keyboard band, some of the best piano playing is found right here in this song.

3. The Only Way (Hymn) - ELP trying to mix classical (Bach) with modern early 70's pop culture. Independence from
the old ways.  Any keyboard player can only drool over how Keith masters the pipe organ and then the piano. Greg is able to keep up vocally to the piano which is no small feat.  The words are about religious independence so
traditional conservatives will probably be put off by this...   Very nice off meter groove/jam to end out the piece.

4. A Time and a Place - A straightforward rocker which may perhaps be one of the most powerful vocal exhibitions ever.  Greg Lake goes from clarion clear rich tenor to full rage shouting while keeping a singing voice. Future generations have prided themselves with their generation's screamers or "rough" vocal stylings.  Well go no further than this song to see how it is done with aplomb.  Oh, bad ass-fat moog synth and polyphonic horns all over this
keyboard rich rock-attack.

end of album

Yes... Are You Ready Eddie...  That was made up last minute after recording Tarkus when the engineer told the band they still needed a few more minutes to round out the two sides, but ELP had no more material to record.  So it was a spur of the moment throw in which happens to have some truly unreal rock piano bangin/playin. Named after the engineer: Eddie Offord.

Cheers!

DM

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 00:37
Originally posted by FromAbove FromAbove wrote:

Then I haven't listened enough to ELP to cast away side 2. I'll listen to it once I get my hands on the record.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I always thought side two of Tarkus was 'Plan B'. Would the world accept a keyboard driven side long peice based on a non existent creature that looked like an armadillo crossed with a first world war tank? If not we have some fun stuff , a bit of rock n roll and a very important song about religion that should please the hippies that havn't yet expired.

Well weren't Lake and Emerson fighting over having the track on the album? Who knows what would have been on the album if Tarkus wasn't there.

But yeah, I guess the second side kind of balances out Tarkus, for what it is in that time period it was released.

Yep Lake regarded it as an Emerson solo peice. Not sure what changed except that Lake added lyrics and also fleshed out some of the parts. Add Palmers innovative percussion work and the wonderfull production of Offord and you have something special. Lake later regarded it as a good 'headphone track' , a complete immersable experience.
Side Two isn't bad but nothing that could be regarded as 'progressive' as such. Are You Ready Eddy? was recorded after a drunken night out and was included because .. I don't know really. Never did them any favours and Carl's need to miss a beat just to show he was clever doesn't help either. Jeremy Bender is just childish. The middle 3 tracks are okay and make side two just about worthwhile. A Time And A Place is the most powerfull track on the album and defines what a power trio is imo. The Only Way has Lake's most beautifull singing in ELP (again my opinion) while Bitches Crystal demonstrates Emersons skills as a jazz pianist.

EDIT - just read Dennis's post above which explains Are You Ready Eddy?Big smile Also interesting comments on the other tracks particularly re Lake's singing. Perhaps it indicates the the tug of war between Lake and Emerson during the making of the album and perhaps Side Two was Lake's chance to shine??!

Edited by richardh - June 12 2012 at 00:43
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 08:04
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Sorry mate, but your first ever listen to Tarkus and the only thing that comes to your mind is asking when was the last time we heard it??!  I don't know what to make of that Shocked
I hope you will tell us what did you think of it.

Tarkus was one of the very first prog songs / albums I got into as a child, my older family playing it a lot when I did not even know what masturbation was, and it has remained one of my favourite songs ever.
So after all these years (I'm 45 now) it's quite "hardwired" in my brain and I do not feel the need to play it much anymore even if I still love it as much as back then.
The studio version I didn't listen to for surely over a year, maybe even 2 years, the last time I listened to it was from the Live At Nassau Colisseum album, maybe around 3 months ago.

I said in my original post that I was enjoying it.  (and it wasn't the only thing that came to mind, I don't have to post every thought I have, eh?)  I certainly did enjoy it, and have listened twice more to it since then - it's better than anything on Brain Salad Surgery in my opinion.
I know what you mean about 'hardwired' - I'm nearly 50, and feel the same about Dark Side Of The Moon which I first heard way back then.
I have yet to hear everything ELP did, but I'll be surprised if they did much that appeals to me more than Tarkus does.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 08:59
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

You know, I'm always stunned when prog fans suggest that "bombastic" and "pretentious" are somehow negative in music.  Prog is nothing, if not bombastic and pretentious.  I mean really, that was the whole point!!!  To move rock music beyond the blues framework it was born out of.

Frankly, I've always loved ELP for those traits.  I don't listen to them regularly anymore (did plenty of that in the 90's), but I still pull out an album or two ever couple years and marvel at how excellent it all still sounds.  Tarkus was always my favorite, and I love the "B" side.......though not as much as the title suite, to be sure.

Wassup Skippy????

Your 1st paragraph is spot on, IMHO.  There is a syndrome when a musician is SO over the top brilliant and then the band becomes very big, people just find fault for fault's sake or to take a shot at "the giant".  I am not sayin Laz did that,  (I think he just got his words all jumbled for a wee bit...)

As far as side 2 of Tarkus, for all the side 2 naysayers here, a closer review might prove helpful.

1. Jeremy Bender -  People accuse Keith of being "bombastic"(pretentious) but when he lightens it up with a nice little ragtime ditty on Jeremy Bender, people criticize that as being trivial. fact is most of Keith's hero musicians were old ragtime piano players, so JB is about as "Keith Emerson" as you can get!

2. Bitches Crystal -  A pure rocker showcasing Greg Lake's awesome tenor and his vocal forcefullness.  Wicked piano all throughout the song.  ELP is a keyboard band, some of the best piano playing is found right here in this song.

3. The Only Way (Hymn) - ELP trying to mix classical (Bach) with modern early 70's pop culture. Independence from
the old ways.  Any keyboard player can only drool over how Keith masters the pipe organ and then the piano. Greg is able to keep up vocally to the piano which is no small feat.  The words are about religious independence so
traditional conservatives will probably be put off by this...   Very nice off meter groove/jam to end out the piece.

4. A Time and a Place - A straightforward rocker which may perhaps be one of the most powerful vocal exhibitions ever.  Greg Lake goes from clarion clear rich tenor to full rage shouting while keeping a singing voice. Future generations have prided themselves with their generation's screamers or "rough" vocal stylings.  Well go no further than this song to see how it is done with aplomb.  Oh, bad ass-fat moog synth and polyphonic horns all over this
keyboard rich rock-attack.

end of album

Yes... Are You Ready Eddie...  That was made up last minute after recording Tarkus when the engineer told the band they still needed a few more minutes to round out the two sides, but ELP had no more material to record.  So it was a spur of the moment throw in which happens to have some truly unreal rock piano bangin/playin. Named after the engineer: Eddie Offord.

Cheers!

DM

Fantastic review, and I agree completely.  The only song I don't really care for is the final one, and even that I thought was okay the first couple times I heard it.  But, being a "joke" song, it doesn't really reward repeated listening.  Jeremy Bender is less than 2 minutes long, so really, how bad can it be?  I think it's a nice, simple breather/interlude, before the more intense stuff and after the masterpiece.  I always felt the album was very well constructed.  I didn't know about why Are You Ready Eddie?  got on there, but it makes perfect sense.  Too bad Lake didn't have anymore childhood songs to record like he did for the first album when they didn't have enough material to finish the album (Lucky Man).  I guess this time they decided to wing it, and it failed.

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 18:43
I've always liked 'A Time And A Place' but the rest of side 2...blah.
Magma America Great Make Again
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 18:53
lol, I actually listened to this a couple of days ago.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 23:15
It's probably been a year. It's still in rotation, but the rotation is deep.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 04:37
about 20 years ago ...
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 05:05
There's some good stuff on side 2. Not to keen on the lyrics of Hymn, but musically it's great and Bitches Crystal and A Time And A Place  are very good too. Jeremy Bender is wonderful as well. I could miss Are You Ready Eddie but I don't mind it.
ELP was an enormously versatile band.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:54
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

There's some good stuff on side 2. Not to keen on the lyrics of Hymn, but musically it's great and Bitches Crystal and A Time And A Place  are very good too. Jeremy Bender is wonderful as well. I could miss Are You Ready Eddie but I don't mind it.
ELP was an enormously versatile band.
True and they certainly didn't want to be stuck playing the same stuff all the time. Ironically though this appears to be a reason why they aren't taken as seriously as say Yes. Seems a bit unfair really.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 17:00
Less than a month ago, I think, but reading this thread makes me wanna listen to it again, so it probably won't be long 'til next time.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 01:54
A few weeks ago. Its an awesome epic!
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 02:41
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

About, I don't know, a year. Haven't been into ELP for a while.

Erm...ain't your avatar a bit ironic methinks?Wink

Not anymore!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 03:57
About a year ago, according to my Itunes.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>