Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClockwork Angels: Any opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 02:36
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think Jim said it: it sounds more Rush.  And maybe your views will be coloured by whether that's what you wanted to hear.  S&A was a little different, less fury and energy but more heart imo.  This is so far another Rush album that I can't really complain about but probably won't get into in a big way.

I think the litmus test will be how the songs translate live; I wasn't a big fan of S&A when it first came out, but the songs took on a whole new level when played live. I like the new one considerably more than I did S&A & although I don't think (yet) it's a classic (for me), I can see some of these songs will turn into monsters on stage.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 00:54
On about my 3-4th listen and its all a bit 'ho hum'. I've stopped it a couple of times before getting to the end because I've just not been bothered to listen further.A bit sad really. A band that is now running on fumes only I fear.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 20:50
I think Jim said it: it sounds more Rush.  And maybe your views will be coloured by whether that's what you wanted to hear.  S&A was a little different, less fury and energy but more heart imo.  This is so far another Rush album that I can't really complain about but probably won't get into in a big way.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 17:37
^ This is a common feeling with a band that has as large a catalog as Rush does. They have been lumped into this type of categorization...70's, 80's, 90's, 00's. We pretty much remember what we heard the last time their "new" album came out.
Last night I listened to Caress of Steel and Fly By Night.....Then listened to Side 4 (vinyl version) and it really sounded just brilliant to me.....especially to end with The Garden, which could have ended on Caress of Steel also.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 16:59
Just heard the whole album for the first time.
As a first impression, it's really impressive that the guys at their age still have this energy and punch, it really rocks, it has great riffs by Alex, Geddy's bass provides a great base and Neil's drumming is as good as ever. And the production is great.

However I must say that I have trouble telling these songs from any others from their recent catalog. Maybe it's because I'm getting older bur since Test For Echo I find the songs nice to listen to but quite undistinguishable, impersonal and far from memorable, I enjoy the listen but I find it hard to tell whether I'm listening to T4E, Vapour Trails, Snakes & Arrows or Clowkork Angels, and I surely don't feel the "waw" factor.

This is a first impression tough, I need to give it more spins. And in any case don't get me wrong, I still love this music, it's just that I don't find it outstanding in any way compared to what they have already done recently.

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by kittylovesprog kittylovesprog wrote:

However, I feel like the sound is just an extension of S&A.  It was just a muddled muck of over driven layered guitar and driving bass. I really feel like a song doesn't necessarily have to have a "loud" sound to really make it feel like it's flooring. I just like some variation. In this sense, even an album like Abbey Road by The Beatles, which isn't even considered to be progressive, does a better job. Although themes in songs are repeated in that album, each song at least has a truly distinct feel to it, and I like that. I am by no means a Beatles fan, but I thought it would make a good rate of comparison for the point I'm trying to convey. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good themes in CA, but in the past Rush would start a song, build up to a good theme, regress to a melodic verse, and then build up to an even better theme. I feel as if in CA, Rush builds up to a good theme rather quickly, but then fails to really introduce anything more exciting later in the song or any movements in dynamics and tone. Now I can see myself easily being able to get hooked on some of these themes in time, however I wish there was well, ....more. Each song sounds like a jam session that they recorded, and decided was decent, so then they turn whatever the hooking concept was into a song and then tack on an easy to sing, yet not really flooring melody for Ged's limited vocal range on top. This wouldn't be such a problem if Rush had a little bit more discretion over what each song was supposed to sound like.

I agree with those comments, but i want to add that they did a good progressive song at the end with "The Garden". Did they take time to work on this one more than all the others, or did they have a sudden spark of genius?
kittylovesprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 15:12
Okay, I've only listened to the album through once so this is a first impression. I'll probably post another review after a few more listens. I guess I had some expectations for this album. It's good, but I'm not floored by it in any way. It would be difficult for me to even call this album progressive in my book, especially compared to things that I've heard in the past from Rush. Now there are definitely some great moments and I got a brief amount of excitement from the song The Anarchist, which is probably one of the best things I've heard from the band in awhile. However, I feel like the sound is just an extension of S&A. I don't really think there was a clear vision musically for this album. I like it when music is built to specifically fit the concept that the lyrics are trying to get across. This album has a clear concept lyrically, but I don't think the band made any experimental adjustments in both the composing and tonality of the songs to really distinguish any one thing from another. It was just a muddled muck of over driven layered guitar and driving bass. I really feel like a song doesn't necessarily have to have a "loud" sound to really make it feel like it's flooring. I just like some variation. In this sense, even an album like Abbey Road by The Beatles, which isn't even considered to be progressive, does a better job. Although themes in songs are repeated in that album, each song at least has a truly distinct feel to it, and I like that. I am by no means a Beatles fan, but I thought it would make a good rate of comparison for the point I'm trying to convey. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good themes in CA, but in the past Rush would start a song, build up to a good theme, regress to a melodic verse, and then build up to an even better theme. I feel as if in CA, Rush builds up to a good theme rather quickly, but then fails to really introduce anything more exciting later in the song or any movements in dynamics and tone. Now I can see myself easily being able to get hooked on some of these themes in time, however I wish there was well, ....more. Each song sounds like a jam session that they recorded, and decided was decent, so then they turn whatever the hooking concept was into a song and then tack on an easy to sing, yet not really flooring melody for Ged's limited vocal range on top. This wouldn't be such a problem if Rush had a little bit more discretion over what each song was supposed to sound like. Now the lyrics have a nice amount of depth to them, especially in certain songs yet I also feel as if Neil's atheism and organized religion bashing lyrics are turning into a bit of a recycled theme here.

Anyways, comparing this album to other Rush and prog albums I'd say it's probably only a 3.5, and that's being fairly generous. I'll listen to it again and repetitively to see if I have a change of heart, but I don't think it's going to happen. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:06
Zune Top 100 Albums/Rock/Classic Rock (Zune genre categories are weird sometimes)

1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 23:31
Like many others I posted how I wasn't "feeling" this album, well 2 days later and it is begging to grow on me. One thing I really enjoy is that throughout the whole album you get glimpses of their past albums. I'll be saying this part sounds like GUP or this other part has that T4E sounds, or that this song could be on Roll the Bones. The latest one that comes to mind is a part in the eponymous track that sounds like a portion of The Twilight Zone...

Also, the whole album being a concept really helps solidify its sound. At first I was complaining that most of the songs sound to similar, but now I feel the cohesion and the all around sound they were trying to convey. I still do not think it is as good as S&A or VT, but it is Rush doing what they do best, and man oh man do I love this F-ing band.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 23:02
Justin Bieber isn't a musician, it's a marketing ploy. It doesn't even belong in a discussion about music.

As for Usher making the same song over and over again, he continues to try new styles:

I'm not saying he's amazing or anything, I'm just saying it's wrong to lump him in with jokes like The Jonas Brothers.

Anyway, back on topic, still looking forward to the Rush/Usher team-up, Rusher.

geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 20:12
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Catcher/Geneyes: I venture to suggest that you do not know what you are talking about. Usher is not One Direction. He is a 33 yo R&B giant who has been at the forefront of the genre since his second album in 1997. He can sing, he can write, he can dance, he can put a catchy song together. He is also a philanthropist who works against AIDS and has helped to rebuild New Orleans out of frustration of the government's continued failure to do so. There is nothing shameful or ridiculous about him outselling Rush.

He can sing, he can write, he can dance very well, he can be very kind. But, he is writing the same song over and over again. And he is behind Justin Bieber. Shocked
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:52
Well you said Usher's success was down to the "teenybop" factor. These days he's about as teenybop as Rush. Seemed clueless to me. 14 year old girls ain't buying records by 33 year old dudes called Looking For Myself.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:48
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Catcher/Geneyes: I venture to suggest that you do not know what you are talking about. Usher is not One Direction. He is a 33 yo R&B giant who has been at the forefront of the genre since his second album in 1997. He can sing, he can write, he can dance, he can put a catchy song together. He is also a philanthropist who works against AIDS and has helped to rebuild New Orleans out of frustration of the government's continued failure to do so. There is nothing shameful or ridiculous about him outselling Rush.

Not sure why I am included in this quote.....I don't think I mentioned any dislike of Usher, only a jib at his name, not even sure if that is his legal name. I have seen him perform on award shows, I have a deep R&B background, old school R&B and I do think he sings well. I don't own anything by him to comment on his writing.
Nor do I care if he outsells Rush or any other artist for that matter......he will be #1 due to the female crowd, I think that goes without saying.......who cares.

Many, many artists have helped New Orleans rebuild, even Rush did sponsoring a house build as well as donating. My wife is from New Orleans so we have direct affect of what that storm did and who helped....I'm glad he helped.

But has nothing to do with the topic...
I never tell people they don't know what they are talking about, unless I am 100% sure they don't know what they are talking about.....your venture was down the wrong road.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:37

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I also read, for those that care about lists, it should chart #2 on Billboard this week behind Usher (isn't that a job at a theater?), due to the girly teenybop factor.

I HATE USHER!!! It seems that we're now in a world where every artist that has talent will not have success and ever Pop c**p artist who dosen't have talent will have success.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:55
I've listened to this album more since I last posted in this thread and it's definitely growing on me even more.  The songs are starting to stand apart from one another as I get more familiar with them.  I've also been listening to S&A more, and I've come to the conclusion that while CA is great, nothing on the new album beats one song on S&A.  And that's Armor And Sword.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:40
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Its good to see Counterparts getting a lot of respect here - i thought it was just me but so many love this album.

The new album too is really a great come back by Rush in their golden years (they are aged in the 60s now)

They are in their very late 50s now. Neil will be sixty years old in September
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:27
Its good to see Counterparts getting a lot of respect here - i thought it was just me but so many love this album.

The new album too is really a great come back by Rush in their golden years (they are aged in the 60s now)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I've always been a fan of Test For Echo. And Dog Years too. So I cannot agree. I am not one of the "we"
aparently its very grungy and that puts people off.

I only became a fan through Test For Echo ,Roll The Bones and Counterparts. All excellent albums. I had got fed up with them during the eighties when the music had got very 'techno' (although I have now gone back and re-evaluated those albums) but it was their trio of nineties albums that got me interested in them again.

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 06:24
Good news! Rush are set to *better* the chart showing of Snakes And Arrows by securing a #2 spot on the Billboard top 100! What other active prog act could even dream of doing that?

Bad news! They're not #1. Well, realistically, who thought they'd defeat Usher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>