Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClockwork Angels: Any opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 06:58
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I've always been a fan of Test For Echo. And Dog Years too. So I cannot agree. I am not one of the "we"

Smile

I'm glad you smile at that. Don't know why you do. But I'm glad. I think. Have a smile back.Smile
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 07:25
Listened to it maybe three times and it is still growing on me.
Definitely the one I like best out of their past ten years recordings. Hats off for them!
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 17:32

I'm glad you smile at that. Don't know why you do. But I'm glad. I think. Have a smile back.Smile
My original comment was intended as a bit of light hearted banter.... having seen Dog Years defended in an earlier post hence the smiley 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 17:47
Clockwork Angels has gotten a bit better since it's purchase. Though it's still low on my list, i just think everything it has on the album has been done better by them on VT, S&A, and Counterparts.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 20:25
Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

I know that in my country, it hasn't been released yet. It will be released tomorrow but I know some people on Progarchives that listened to this record because it was already out. A person that had listened to Clockwork angels is called a lucky fan. But, I have some questions for you:
Do you like Clockwork Angels ?
If you like:
Do you think it is one of the best Rush albums (or the best) ?
If you dislike:
Do you think it is one of the worst Rush albums ? 

1. Yes, I like Clockwork Angels quite a bit.

2. It's in contention for the top spot for their second-tier albums. I see it as being close to Counterpoints in terms of quality and I see Counterpoints' (as of this post) 3.83 rating as being pretty accurate. I suppose right now I'd probably give CA top slot between the two.

3. Definitely not one of their worst, IMO.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 22:50
I've had a lot of extra listining time this weekend.......The Anarchist is one of my favs now. Still The Garden is close to the top. Caravan, BU2B, title track and even Wish Them Well are really done well.

Its still a PA 4.5 for me.......I also read, for those that care about lists, it should chart #2 on Billboard this week behind Usher (isn't that a job at a theater?), due to the girly teenybop factor.

Usher will sell 120,000 copies.......Rush about 90,000 is the forecast.

Its an excellent album by the boys, no doubt.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 03:03
2 listens in at the moment & I like it a lot - IMHO way better than Snakes & Arrows (I dunno, it just sounds more Rush if that makes any sense); the guys do sound more energised & enthusiastic, and it is nice to hear the bass pedals back.

If there is a downside so far, it's probably the same one & had with S&A in that I'm not keen on the production.

Roll on London O2 in May 2013

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 04:38
It's made number #4 on the RYM chart but who knows if it'll stay there. I could see this being a bubble of fan boy enthusiasm which will soon pop, but I could also the album sticking around there as people continue to listen to and like it.

When are the sales out?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 05:24
Like to see more video promo clips come out in the same vein as Headlong Flight...
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 06:24
Good news! Rush are set to *better* the chart showing of Snakes And Arrows by securing a #2 spot on the Billboard top 100! What other active prog act could even dream of doing that?

Bad news! They're not #1. Well, realistically, who thought they'd defeat Usher.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:06

I've always been a fan of Test For Echo. And Dog Years too. So I cannot agree. I am not one of the "we"
aparently its very grungy and that puts people off.

I only became a fan through Test For Echo ,Roll The Bones and Counterparts. All excellent albums. I had got fed up with them during the eighties when the music had got very 'techno' (although I have now gone back and re-evaluated those albums) but it was their trio of nineties albums that got me interested in them again.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:27
Its good to see Counterparts getting a lot of respect here - i thought it was just me but so many love this album.

The new album too is really a great come back by Rush in their golden years (they are aged in the 60s now)
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:40
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Its good to see Counterparts getting a lot of respect here - i thought it was just me but so many love this album.

The new album too is really a great come back by Rush in their golden years (they are aged in the 60s now)

They are in their very late 50s now. Neil will be sixty years old in September
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:55
I've listened to this album more since I last posted in this thread and it's definitely growing on me even more.  The songs are starting to stand apart from one another as I get more familiar with them.  I've also been listening to S&A more, and I've come to the conclusion that while CA is great, nothing on the new album beats one song on S&A.  And that's Armor And Sword.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I also read, for those that care about lists, it should chart #2 on Billboard this week behind Usher (isn't that a job at a theater?), due to the girly teenybop factor.

I HATE USHER!!! It seems that we're now in a world where every artist that has talent will not have success and ever Pop c**p artist who dosen't have talent will have success.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:37

Catcher/Geneyes: I venture to suggest that you do not know what you are talking about. Usher is not One Direction. He is a 33 yo R&B giant who has been at the forefront of the genre since his second album in 1997. He can sing, he can write, he can dance, he can put a catchy song together. He is also a philanthropist who works against AIDS and has helped to rebuild New Orleans out of frustration of the government's continued failure to do so. There is nothing shameful or ridiculous about him outselling Rush.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:48
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Catcher/Geneyes: I venture to suggest that you do not know what you are talking about. Usher is not One Direction. He is a 33 yo R&B giant who has been at the forefront of the genre since his second album in 1997. He can sing, he can write, he can dance, he can put a catchy song together. He is also a philanthropist who works against AIDS and has helped to rebuild New Orleans out of frustration of the government's continued failure to do so. There is nothing shameful or ridiculous about him outselling Rush.

Not sure why I am included in this quote.....I don't think I mentioned any dislike of Usher, only a jib at his name, not even sure if that is his legal name. I have seen him perform on award shows, I have a deep R&B background, old school R&B and I do think he sings well. I don't own anything by him to comment on his writing.
Nor do I care if he outsells Rush or any other artist for that matter......he will be #1 due to the female crowd, I think that goes without saying.......who cares.

Many, many artists have helped New Orleans rebuild, even Rush did sponsoring a house build as well as donating. My wife is from New Orleans so we have direct affect of what that storm did and who helped....I'm glad he helped.

But has nothing to do with the topic...
I never tell people they don't know what they are talking about, unless I am 100% sure they don't know what they are talking about.....your venture was down the wrong road.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:52
Well you said Usher's success was down to the "teenybop" factor. These days he's about as teenybop as Rush. Seemed clueless to me. 14 year old girls ain't buying records by 33 year old dudes called Looking For Myself.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 20:12
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

He can sing, he can write, he can dance very well, he can be very kind. But, he is writing the same song over and over again. And he is behind Justin Bieber. Shocked
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 23:02
Justin Bieber isn't a musician, it's a marketing ploy. It doesn't even belong in a discussion about music.

As for Usher making the same song over and over again, he continues to try new styles:

I'm not saying he's amazing or anything, I'm just saying it's wrong to lump him in with jokes like The Jonas Brothers.

Anyway, back on topic, still looking forward to the Rush/Usher team-up, Rusher.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>