Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould Art Rock Be A Sub-Genre On PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 06:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Art Rock used to be a sub-genre on PA, but it was decided to split it into Heavy, Crossover, Ecletic, Proto-Prog and Prog-Related.
More accurately: Art Rock was split it into Heavy, Crossover, Ecletic, Prog-Related and "Not Needed on the Voyage". Proto Prog was never "Art Rock"

As far as I can remember: Proto-Prog and Prog Related were already there before Art Rock was split up. Art Rock was divided into Heavy, Crossover and Eclectic Prog.
Long before that Prog Related was split out from Art Rock if my memory serves me correctly. It's been mentioned before and it will take me forever to find the relevant quotes. Proto Prog was never part of "Art Rock" but Prog Related was.

I tend to remember it as someone else does.... Proto and Related existed before the spilt of Art Rock

But does it matter nowadays???

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

One person's opinion.  The following sub-genres should be axed; or made into sub-sub-genres.  I foresee the following:

RIO/Avant-Prog - Rename Avant ProgRIO is a sub-sub-genre.
Krautrock - Merge mostly into Psychedelic/Space Rock; maybe some Avant Prog.
Rock Progressivo Italiano - Merge mostly into Symphonic Prog.
Zeuhl - Merge mostly into Avant Prog.
Canterbury Scene - Split out as appropriate!  This was never really a genre.  As the name indicates, it was a "scene".
Indo-Prog/Raga Rock - Prog Folk?  I have no idea...
Neo-Prog - Merge into Symphonic Prog and some Crossover Prog.

Interestingly enough I think having the three metal groups split as they are is appropriate.

This is an interestting idea (one that I'd advocate, along with less restrictive genre definitions/descriptions in order to be more inclusive), but this would upset greatly some private property owners, who would have to share their gardened fences... Sadly (very sadly), that's a no-no for many!!

Edited by Sean Trane - June 20 2012 at 06:48
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 06:58
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Art Rock used to be a sub-genre on PA, but it was decided to split it into Heavy, Crossover, Ecletic, Proto-Prog and Prog-Related.
More accurately: Art Rock was split it into Heavy, Crossover, Ecletic, Prog-Related and "Not Needed on the Voyage". Proto Prog was never "Art Rock"

As far as I can remember: Proto-Prog and Prog Related were already there before Art Rock was split up. Art Rock was divided into Heavy, Crossover and Eclectic Prog.
Long before that Prog Related was split out from Art Rock if my memory serves me correctly. It's been mentioned before and it will take me forever to find the relevant quotes. Proto Prog was never part of "Art Rock" but Prog Related was.

I tend to remember it as someone else does.... Proto and Related existed before the spilt of Art Rock

Of course they existed before the split, but that's not what I said.

Before November 2005 many of the artists that were in Prog Related after that date (Peter Gabriel, 801, Alan Parsons, etc.) were in Art Rock.... in essence Prog Related was created from Art Rock.

However, it does not matter at all.

Edited by Dean - June 20 2012 at 07:31
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 08:48

Indeed
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 11:00

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Of course they existed before the split, but that's not what I said.

Before November 2005 many of the artists that were in Prog Related after that date (Peter Gabriel, 801, Alan Parsons, etc.) were in Art Rock.... in essence Prog Related was created from Art Rock.

To complement what Dean rightly said:

- In the early days of Prog, Art Rock was just another name top call the genre.

- Before  Prog Related was created Art Rock was the equivalent to Prog Related, and as a fact it was like that everywhere

Originally posted by GEPR GEPR wrote:

The very border of progressive music in which more commercial styles of music were created at a different angle. Not quite progressive but almost.

Bands

Be Bop Deluxe, early Eno, Roxy Music, etc. 

- Then we made Art Rock Change on august 30, 2006, with this definition:

Quote ART ROCK

Not a sub-genre “per se”, more a category; being that bands included in Art Rock may have very few things in common other than the fact that they are all 100% Progressive Rock. 

The term Art Rock has evolved from being a synonym of Progressive Rock in the early 70's to being considered the borderline between Progressive Rock and mainstream in the 90's. However, the term changed again with the new century and these are the characteristics of the bands that will be included in this category:

1. 100% Prog bands
  2. Bands that are beyond the limits of the sub-genre parameters or
  3. Bands that have evolved through their career so much that they crossed different sub-genres without any single sub-genre being preeminent over the rest or
  4. Bands that have characteristics of two or more different sub-genres and can’t be reasonably classified in either or
  5. Bands that simply are one of a kind and for that reason can’t be included as part of any sub-genre.

The main difference with Prog-Related is that in this second category the bands included are not career Prog bands or are simply non Prog bands that have influenced or been influenced by the genre.

Prog Archives accepts that it’s a very generic category but we believe it is necessary to avoid creating an endless number of sub-genres for each eclectic band that appears.

Iván Melgar Morey - Perú

- When Micky and Raff left the Symphonic Team, they took care of Art Rock and being that the genre was incredibly big, they asked to split it into
  • Crossover
  • Heavy Prog
  • Eclectic
That's the story of Art Rock in PA till now, and i hope we don't resurrect it, because it was always ambiguous.

Iván

Ancient Tree View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 12:27

there's your answer Big smile 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 12:33
I might just as well be talking to a brick wall.
What?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 12:41
or a tree
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 13:01
Please Ancient Tree

Proto Prog and Prog Related  are not, never were and will never be part of Art Rock.

I believe this is clear enough Smile

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 13:11
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.
What?
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 15:49
The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234