Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBytor2112's Introduction to the PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bytor2112's Introduction to the PA
    Posted: June 16 2012 at 00:09
Hey everyone, I've been on this site for about 6 months now and I noticed that I haven't introduced myself.

I'm still quite young (still in highschool) and I've been a huge Rush fan for a couple of years now. It wasn't until late 2011 that I began listening to other prog such as Genesis, Yes, and King Crimson etc. I'm proud to say that since I started listening to prog I have began to accept bands like VDGG, Gentle Giant, Camel, Eloy and many, many others. As of late, I have really been trying to get into Magma but I'm havig a bit of trouble Tongue

I'm really looking forward to continue posting on the forums, I think this is a magnificant place to share my thoughts on Prog Music.

-Cale
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 03:15
Nice to meet you Cale and a nice list of classic bands. Don't force the Magma as its not for everyone and you might appreciate them in time. I know I never listened to such demanding music in high school.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 05:57
Welcome also from Japan. Hug
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 06:26
Welcome, and great username by the way!  Have you tried Dream Theater?  If you like Rush from the late 70's to early 80's you might find some great enjoyment there....  Also maybe Sieges Even?  I could give many more suggestions if you like but I'll stay there for now.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 12:35
Welcome sir! Beer
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 08:22
Yes! We have Bytor and the Snow Dog now!

Nice to meet you.

Keep progging here
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 13:33
Welcome senior member! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 15:23
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Hey everyone, I've been on this site for about 6 months now and I noticed that I haven't introduced myself.

I'm still quite young (still in highschool) and I've been a huge Rush fan for a couple of years now. It wasn't until late 2011 that I began listening to other prog such as Genesis, Yes, and King Crimson etc. I'm proud to say that since I started listening to prog I have began to accept bands like VDGG, Gentle Giant, Camel, Eloy and many, many others. As of late, I have really been trying to get into Magma but I'm havig a bit of trouble Tongue

I'm really looking forward to continue posting on the forums, I think this is a magnificant place to share my thoughts on Prog Music.

-Cale

Remembered seeing this post, as I thought about responding to it before, but wanted to after seeing your two one star ratings for Magma with Kobaia and the very recent mini-record, Felicite Thosz.  Although I wouldn't have suggested you start with Magma's first or latest, but rather the more generally loved ones such as MDK and KA, for me trying to get into music is the approach that would only lead to frustration.  If I am at least intrigued by something then I might sample (through youtube mainly) bits and pieces of various albums (if there is considerable discography) to see what fits me best.

Sometimes something doesn't immediately appeal much, but a few weeks or months later I return to it and love it.  In the case of a band that has an album that is generally quite well-rated that I would think so lowly of that I would feel is deserving of a one star rating, though, I wouldn't imagine wanting to hear another album by the band. Such a  rating would be reserved for the most amateurish, poor quality productions of its ilk by me.

I've actually rarely found an album that I would consider one star worthy That would be an album that I think a really bad one of its style, if it has a style.  I would be wary to rate albums of a style, or category I feel I'm not very familiar with already).  I have heard some so-bad they're good ones, though.

Course you can rate as you like, and I've rated a lot, but especially when it comes to the lowest ratings, it would be interesting to hear what makes you think something deserving of such a rating.

By the way, what got you to explore and get those particular Magma albums?

EDIT: By the way, I live in BC too (Greater Vancouver in my case).

Edited by Logan - July 04 2012 at 15:30
Just a fanboy passin' through.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 15:41
What a nice (late) introduction to the forumClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 15:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Indeed; sorry if i came across as rude by questioning your ratings while not formally, albeit belatedly welcoming you.

It's a heck of a lot nicer than my introduction:

" Hello, I'm a happily married man with one child looking to meet open-minded women with large collections of classic prog albums and mp3s to be my Sheherezade.  I enjoy moonlit walks on the beach while listening to Gentle Giant on my mp3 player and candlelight dinners while listening to classic Genesis, Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, and ELP.  If you're a renaissance woman with a good stereo system, say Yes to me. I'd love to check out your equipment.

-Yours in prog."
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 16:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Indeed; sorry if i came across as rude by questioning your ratings while not formally, albeit belatedly welcoming you.

" Hello, I'm a happily married man with one child looking to meet open-minded women with large collections of classic prog albums and mp3s to be my Sheherezade.  I enjoy moonlit walks on the beach while listening to Gentle Giant on my mp3 player and candlelight dinners while listening to classic Genesis, Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, and ELP.  If you're a renaissance woman with a good stereo system, say Yes to me. I'd love to check out your equipment.

-Yours in prog."

LOL Did it work??
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 16:17

-Yours in prog."

LOL Did it work??

Sadly, no... Unhappy Not even a nibble from some adventurous prog babe, which was very disheartening since I assumed this site would be full of them. LOL Hanging outside the Chippendales Prog Revue after the show just finished might have been a better bet.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 16:19

-Yours in prog."

LOL Did it work??

Sadly, no... Unhappy Not even a nibble from some adventurous prog babe, which was very disheartening since I assumed this site would be full of them. LOL Hanging outside the Chippendales Prog Revue after the show just finished might have been a better bet.

Keep trying, man, keep trying!
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 19:33

Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

-Cale

Remembered seeing this post, as I thought about responding to it before, but wanted to after seeing your two one star ratings for Magma with Kobaia and the very recent mini-record, Felicite Thosz.  Although I wouldn't have suggested you start with Magma's first or latest, but rather the more generally loved ones such as MDK and KA, for me trying to get into music is the approach that would only lead to frustration.  If I am at least intrigued by something then I might sample (through youtube mainly) bits and pieces of various albums (if there is considerable discography) to see what fits me best.

Sometimes something doesn't immediately appeal much, but a few weeks or months later I return to it and love it.  In the case of a band that has an album that is generally quite well-rated that I would think so lowly of that I would feel is deserving of a one star rating, though, I wouldn't imagine wanting to hear another album by the band. Such a  rating would be reserved for the most amateurish, poor quality productions of its ilk by me.

I've actually rarely found an album that I would consider one star worthy That would be an album that I think a really bad one of its style, if it has a style.  I would be wary to rate albums of a style, or category I feel I'm not very familiar with already).  I have heard some so-bad they're good ones, though.

Course you can rate as you like, and I've rated a lot, but especially when it comes to the lowest ratings, it would be interesting to hear what makes you think something deserving of such a rating.

By the way, what got you to explore and get those particular Magma albums?

EDIT: By the way, I live in BC too (Greater Vancouver in my case).

Hmm.. thats weird because I don't remember giving Kobia a one star rating, as It's actually one of my favorites so I'll surely go fix that. What got me wantig to explore Magma was the fact that their so highly rated on the PA and so I listened to K.A. and really liked it.

Oh I love Vancouver but I'm up north in Prince George.
 Post Reply Post Reply