Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
69 [45.10%]
84 [54.90%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 07:40

There is nothing wrong with VdGG as far as their professionalism and productivity. They surely have been playing decent tunes for 4+ decades, but I don't think they have quite managed to revolutionize anything.  I am not even seeing any strong impact or sustained influence, exerted by VdGG on the World's musical heritage.

Has to be PF, therefore!

FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 09:41

VdGG, primarily because I've listened to both bands completely.

Floyd was awesome in the beginning, but I feel Pink Floyd becomes rather standardized after Meddle, and it began to sound all the same to me. I didn't see any innovation from them after Meddle until A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The vocoders get annoying after a while.

VdGG has some variety, and I find their music sometimes more enjoyable to listen to than Pink Floyd.

In my honest opinion, I believe Hammill to be a better singer than Waters. To me, Waters seems to be almost all the same after some albums. Gilmour as well.

Edited by FromAbove - June 17 2012 at 09:41
leolabin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 16:25
I love both bands but I have to go with Pink Floyd.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 18:51
Is it weird that I found VDGG alot easier to get into than Floyd?
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Is it weird that I found VDGG alot easier to get into than Floyd?

Heh. Same. Big smile
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:32
There are only two Floyd Albums I love from the first to the last track without being tempted to skip a track, however four VdGG albums  of which  I can say the same!
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 20:28
I vote Pink Floyd because they're chill and because Peter Hammill's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 00:41
VDGG bores me, cant even get through a whole album without feeling like every song offers nothing new.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 00:43
I bet VdGG is like some kind of a mental exercise. You just keep practicing till it's piece of cake for ya. Ditto for GG.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 06:08
  1. Pink Floyd are much more famous (actually, along with Genesis, the most famous prog band).
  2. Their music is generally more palatable.
  3. They have more real "masterpieces". Van der Graaf Generator have only one in fact - Pawn Hearts.
  4. But VDGG are leading over Pink Floyd at the moment. What paradoxes! Confused

(I voted for Floyds, of course.)

Edited by Gandalff - June 19 2012 at 06:09
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

1. Pink Floyd are much more famous (actually, along with Genesis, the most famous prog band).
  3. They have more real "masterpieces". Van der Graaf Generator have only one in fact - Pawn Hearts.

Point by Point:

1. Famous doesn't mean better. And before prog forums started up, no one I knew ever considered Floyd prog (it's more like blues rock dressed up with weird sound effects and stereophonic hijinks; a lot of burnouts in high school and yoga teachers thought it was heavy stuff). Genesis became really famous during the Phil Collins 'greatest hits' era. Then you had millions working their way back through the catalog and discovering the prog stuff. So they owe their mega-fame to 'Invisible Touch,' 'We Can't Dance,' etc rather than 'Supper's Ready.'

2. A matter of taste, but fair enough.

3. A matter of taste; yours is misguided and wrong in my eyes, but mine would be in yours. Just opinions, eh? You should hear Godbluff & Still Life, though. Many consider them masterpieces as well (although you won't read about it in Rolling Stone or Spin)

4. Maybe the reason that VdGG is doing well is that Pink Floyd (after their brilliant first few albums, i.e. Piper, Saucerful, etc) became really boring. Johnny Rotten called them 'music for sheep', and I'm inclined to agree. Not to piss anyone off, it's just my opinion. And I totally get and respect how people can hate VdGG and Hammill. That's the thing, though. I can see where people would find VdGG like nails on a chalkboard and truly hate them [which, paradoxically, is a 'positive' in my eyes]; I cannot see where PF would inspire that reaction because they're worse than hate-inspiring -- they're just bland / boring. One poster described them as 'chill' and I can see where that's coming from. VdGG was never 'chill.' They were more like the dark side of prog, hair-tearing, psychotic panic. Soundtracks for nightmares. You either loved it or hated it.
Pink Floyd was more successful, but it's similiar to how Spielberg will always be more "successful" than Fellini. It's easier to digest for the masses, but it doesn't mean it's a greater artistic success. John Anthony, by the way, is the legendary British producer who has amongst his credits Genesis, Queen, Roxy Music, Al Stewart, The Tubes, Ace (he did their mega-single 'How Long'), and of course Van der Graaf.

Edited by bucka001 - June 19 2012 at 08:25
jc
Glucose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by ProgEpics ProgEpics wrote:

VDGG bores me, cant even get through a whole album without feeling like every song offers nothing new.

...When I had my PF season, I thaught there can not be more inspirative  music; but then I heard VDGG.
They  have a power to absolutely remove the fear of death for a while and I always have some very strong feelings when I'm listening to them. Not boring at all..in my opinion. Pink Floyd are passed through their own kind os typical sadness in every song.  Beautiful songs, but not as good as Hammill's
Under the rocks and stones,
there is water underground

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 08:42
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Pink Floyd. In know VdGG is very popular and well respected, but they just don't do it for me.

^^^^^^
That

Iván

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:03
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

. I can see where people would find VdGG like nails on a chalkboard and truly hate them [which, paradoxically, is a 'positive' in my eyes]; I cannot see where PF would inspire that reaction because they're worse than hate-inspiring -- they're just bland / boring.

Waters's strained vocals sound like nails to a chalkboard on large parts of Wall.  Especially The Trial.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:13
Hi,

On principle ... I will not vote on this one.

Totally unfair question that I wish not to answer ... I love both dearly, although I could state that Peter's words resonate really well with me ... and I can relate to them a lot. But PF has also been very important in my life and words!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Waters's strained vocals sound like nails to a chalkboard on large parts of Wall.  Especially The Trial.

Maybe it has to be that way to go along with the concept, kind of complete the album.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:47
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Maybe it has to be that way to go along with the concept, kind of complete the album.

The Trial is still terrible. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:58
^ Would it be more terrible if the song was turned into a video clip with the judge being an a#$ (as the album artwork suggests) ? Gro-o-o-o-oss Big smile .

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 19 2012 at 11:58
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 12:04
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Would it be more terrible if the song was turned into a video clip with the judge being an a#$ (as the album artwork suggests) ? Gro-o-o-o-oss Big smile .

The visuals could dampen the harshness. Or it just might not make any difference at all, or make it worse. Tongue
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:50
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Point by Point:

1. Famous doesn't mean better. And before prog forums started up, no one I knew ever considered Floyd prog (it's more like blues rock dressed up with weird sound effects and stereophonic hijinks; a lot of burnouts in high school and yoga teachers thought it was heavy stuff). Genesis became really famous during the Phil Collins 'greatest hits' era. Then you had millions working their way back through the catalog and discovering the prog stuff. So they owe their mega-fame to 'Invisible Touch,' 'We Can't Dance,' etc rather than 'Supper's Ready.'

2. A matter of taste, but fair enough.

3. A matter of taste; yours is misguided and wrong in my eyes, but mine would be in yours. Just opinions, eh? You should hear Godbluff & Still Life, though. Many consider them masterpieces as well (although you won't read about it in Rolling Stone or Spin)

4. Maybe the reason that VdGG is doing well is that Pink Floyd (after their brilliant first few albums, i.e. Piper, Saucerful, etc) became really boring. Johnny Rotten called them 'music for sheep', and I'm inclined to agree. Not to piss anyone off, it's just my opinion. And I totally get and respect how people can hate VdGG and Hammill. That's the thing, though. I can see where people would find VdGG like nails on a chalkboard and truly hate them [which, paradoxically, is a 'positive' in my eyes]; I cannot see where PF would inspire that reaction because they're worse than hate-inspiring -- they're just bland / boring. One poster described them as 'chill' and I can see where that's coming from. VdGG was never 'chill.' They were more like the dark side of prog, hair-tearing, psychotic panic. Soundtracks for nightmares. You either loved it or hated it.
Pink Floyd was more successful, but it's similiar to how Spielberg will always be more "successful" than Fellini. It's easier to digest for the masses, but it doesn't mean it's a greater artistic success. John Anthony, by the way, is the legendary British producer who has amongst his credits Genesis, Queen, Roxy Music, Al Stewart, The Tubes, Ace (he did their mega-single 'How Long'), and of course Van der Graaf.

Well. You're huge VdGG fan, as we can see from your avatar. Maybe therefore you're somewhat biased. I'm not a fan of both listed bands, but Dark Side Of The Moon was my first real touch with the kind of a Prog Rock in my age about 10. I should add more reasons why I prefer Pink Floyd over Van der Graaf Generator:
  • Pink Floyd always had a genuine guitar and bass.
  • They had three quite acceptable singers, VdGG has only one, although excellent, but, frankly, somewhat polarizing singer (as someone said above, after all).
  • Pink Floyd had much memorable melodies, how many VdGG's ones anyone can able to sing?
  • Pink Floyd had truly better and more colorful wizard behind the keyboard.

To be fair, the drummer from Van der Graaf Generator is obviously better.Wink

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>