Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFoxtrot or Fragile?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [41.18%]
52 [50.98%]
7 [6.86%]
1 [0.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 03:22
Fragile.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 03:36
5 percent is awesome
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 04:16
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

5 percent is awesome

It most certainly is Clap
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 04:55
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

5 percent is awesome

30 seconds of excellence is better than 5 minutes of crap Big smile
Barah86 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 05:05

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

5 percent is awesome

30 seconds of excellence is better than 5 minutes of crap Big smile

I love Five Per Cent For Nothing it shows just how creative you can be with in the 4/4 meter even if its just 38 seconds of music...
Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs
Twenty first century schizoid man.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 10:15
Well, I had to listen to these magical 35 seconds very carefully to find out if I haven't overlooked something extra special. And you know what? No, I haven't overlooked anything. What I've been finding again and again is short (uninteresting and disturbing IMHO) intermezzo between South Side and Long Distance. Exactly what I've been thinking about "5 percent" more than twenty years. So, no change of my mind about this "gem"...
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:51
Five Perfect is a cool little exercise in syncopation that really should have been incorporated into another song. But I don't have a problem with it the way it is.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

Well, I had to listen to these magical 35 seconds very carefully to find out if I haven't overlooked something extra special. And you know what? No, I haven't overlooked anything. What I've been finding again and again is short (uninteresting and disturbing IMHO) intermezzo between South Side and Long Distance. Exactly what I've been thinking about "5 percent" more than twenty years. So, no change of my mind about this "gem"...

It's what prog is all about. Rock played by jazz/classical musicians and composers. A true progger should love it.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 19:33
Foxtrot. One of my fav Genesis albums.  Fragile is good but not one of my fav Yes albums.
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 19:35

It's what prog is all about. Rock played by jazz/classical musicians and composers. A true progger should love it.

I think you've missed the train... let's not get into the realm of judging a proger's integrity now.

With that being said, I personally found your response to be incredibly close minded... tell me, what exactly is a "true Progger"? Tell me what else am I suppose to like?

Edited by -Radioswim- - June 22 2012 at 19:37

Dust in the Kitchen
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 19:39
Originally posted by -Radioswim- -Radioswim- wrote:

I think you've missed the train... let's not get into the realm of judging a proger's integrity now.

Why not LOL
I'm an Aussie in my 30's who never bothered with music after 1982. I just went straight to the 70s in my teens and have never looked back. I'm sure many in here have somehow been sucked into the American hard rock and metal of the 80s, 90s and 00s. I dunno how, it's crap Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 19:54
To get back to the real discussion, I think Foxtrot is a much better album.
Not to say that the individual songs within the album are weaker or stronger than the contender, but the albums when seen in their entirety as in a painting or sculpture, Foxtrot to me just holds up integrally as one peice.

What I mean is while fragile is succesful as an experimentation of rock and it's sounds, it is essentially that it is so experimental and arbitrarily inconsistant that is destroys itself. It's a great album with some great songs... but Foxtrot is just on a whole other level when it comes to orchestration and execution. The album's songs all belong together, not by association, but by design, even if not intentional.

All of this is obviously my opinion, and I'm opinionated. Some may prefer fragile's more provisional song flow throughout the album, I just happen to prefer Foxtrot :) 

Dust in the Kitchen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 20:05

Why not LOL

I guess I can't stop you...
It just tends to spiral any good discussion into the gutter, and quick.

" I'm sure many in here have somehow been sucked into the American hard rock and metal of the 80s, 90s and 00s. I dunno how, it's crap Tongue"

well... I never got 'sucked' into anything, but I do enjoy a bit of 'American' hard rock every now and then, a little german, a little swedish and maybe some norwegen after all is done.
Fact is, people listen to music becuase they get something out of it, and as cliched as the statement "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is, music taste is as subjective as any other form of art. Sure, I think a lot of it's crap as well.
Why does so much of this crap give joy and hope to millions? I'm of right mind to ask, but sure as hell have no right to answer that, as if I knew. Must not be crap after all... Ouch not to those millions anyways.

Dust in the Kitchen
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 23:30

Why not LOL
I'm an Aussie in my 30's who never bothered with music after 1982. I just went straight to the 70s in my teens and have never looked back. I'm sure many in here have somehow been sucked into the American hard rock and metal of the 80s, 90s and 00s. I dunno how, it's crap Tongue

I'm an Aussie in my teens and you're full of sh*t. Tongue
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 00:10
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Five Perfect is a cool little exercise in syncopation that really should have been incorporated into another song. But I don't have a problem with it the way it is.

I remember someone saying on YouTube that it sounds pretty complicated when in actual fact it is "deceptively easy to play". Someone tried playing it, and it was mostly a repeating pattern workout.

OK, now let's get back to the topic.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 01:03

Why not LOL

I don't believe in pitying listeners for what choices they make, but your lot does merit that sentiment.  After all, what are you going to do once you have run out of 70s classics to get?  Because if you are then forced to change your mind about contemporary music just so you can listen to something else, you would not even know where to look for it. The music biz today is fragmented and scattered and it's hard to zero in on artists you can relate to, especially if one is far too specific in one's requirements from music. 

On topic, Foxtrot is a touch more consistent.  Fragile's best moments are more brilliant.  Coin toss...will go with Foxtrot.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 03:29
Foxtrot to me is a weak album. The ones both before and after much better. But Genesis tells and musically illustrates better stories. So, I go with Foxtrot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:12

Why does so much of this crap give joy and hope to millions? I'm of right mind to ask, but sure as hell have no right to answer that, as if I knew. Must not be crap after all... Ouch not to those millions anyways.

I remember Mont Campbell of Egg saying "Nobody hears anything new, nobody expects anything new. Just like that." So, those millions probably haven't heard "better" music. Wink 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 23 2012 at 12:13
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Why not LOL

I don't believe in pitying listeners for what choices they make, but your lot does merit that sentiment.  After all, what are you going to do once you have run out of 70s classics to get?  Because if you are then forced to change your mind about contemporary music just so you can listen to something else, you would not even know where to look for it. The music biz today is fragmented and scattered and it's hard to zero in on artists you can relate to, especially if one is far too specific in one's requirements from music. 

On topic, Foxtrot is a touch more consistent.  Fragile's best moments are more brilliant.  Coin toss...will go with Foxtrot.

Maybe I won't run out of late 60s, 70s or early 80s. But I won't be getting into bands who formed after 1975 apart from bands such as uk and national health who were made of members of bands from pre 75. Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences. Songs from the good days are just a few classes above. I prefer old prog bands who can mix it up a bit with melodies, rock and folk. So bands such as Crimson and Floyd probably don't even make my top 15 bands of the 70s. Gabriel Genesis doesn't make my top 10, but late 70s Genesis bring them into my top 10. I reckon Yes were not that great after 1972 either. I dodn't really care for experimenting and I don't really like fusion. It just sounds silly and annoying most of the time. The ultimate bands don't try to overdo it Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 19:52

But I won't be getting into bands who formed after 1975 apart from bands such as uk and national health who were made of members of bands from pre 75. Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences. ... I reckon Yes were not that great after 1972 either. I dodn't really care for experimenting and I don't really like fusion. It just sounds silly and annoying most of the time. The ultimate bands don't try to overdo it Big smile

My personal favorite:

Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences.

That's a very naive statement to make, cap'n ... err ... doc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>