Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew teenage member interested in prog.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New teenage member interested in prog.
    Posted: June 19 2012 at 14:57
I'm 14 almost 15 years old boy from Europe and my dad listens to prog,jazz,old rock (and he has  some really bad ass sound speakers and amplifier.)So since i started to walk he thought me about great music.And prog is what i  liked the most of the genres.I'm mostly new to prog,and i also listen to hardcore,folk punk,folk metal,jazz but I'm not into today's music infect i hate it. Kids my age mostly  isolates me because of my music (they all listen to dubstep rap,pop sh*t so they aren't not worth my time,but i managed to find three friends that listen to rock,metal,punk-still better than dubstep) I'm an vegetarian and i love extreme sports i'm also active in running and skiing.Also i forgot to mantion that im from an social democrat family so im also interested in politics.Well what else,oh yea check this,when i went into mountains this morning:

I'm going to high school now and that school is pretty much marked as the nerd kingdom,so im hopping that i will find some good music  fans there.If not im just going to stick with you guys here.

See you around

Edited by Ancient Tree - June 19 2012 at 15:02
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:15
Hi. I see you already got yer sig working. What country are you from exactly? I wish I had enough time and money to do some skiing.

Vegetarian? I know a girl from high school who got sick because she didn't consume enough of protein or something. I don't know much about vegetarian nutrition. I wish I didn't have to eat animals and not get sick.

What bands (prog bands for that matter) are you into?

Originally posted by Ancient Tree Ancient Tree wrote:

Kids my age mostly  isolates me because of my music (they all listen to dubstep rap,pop sh*t so they aren't not worth my time,but i managed to find three friends that listen to rock,metal,punk-still better than dubstep)

Don't know much about dubstep, to be honest. Here on PA we try to promote open-mindedness, albeit lots of minds have their limits, so watch out for pirates on our forum.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 19 2012 at 15:18
deliriumofthethrush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:24
Welcome!  It's good to hear you stick by your preferences and interests even when you feel isolated.  I remember that feeling through school, but by high school I branched out and my friends existed more in my local music scene than school.  And even if that's not an option for you, sounds like your Dad has your back ;)

I also don't eat meat - I've been vegan for 4 years, and was vegetarian for 4 or 5 before that.  Don't let anyone tell you it's unhealthy or dangerous, because it's not.  People can make bad nutritional decisions, but there is nothing that exists in an omnivores diet that cannot be found in a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Ancient Tree View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:26
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Hi. I see you already got yer sig working. What country are you from exactly? I wish I had enough time and money to do some skiing.

Vegetarian? I know a girl from high school who got sick because she didn't consume enough of protein or something. I don't know much about vegetarian nutrition. I wish I didn't have to eat animals and not get sick.

What bands (prog bands for that matter) are you into?

Kids my age mostly  isolates me because of my music (they all listen to dubstep rap,pop sh*t so they aren't not worth my time,but i managed to find three friends that listen to rock,metal,punk-still better than dubstep)

Don't know much about dubstep, to be honest. Here on PA we try to promote open-mindedness, albeit lots of minds have their limits, so watch out for pirates on our forum.

Vegetarian: well she wans an vegetarian then she was an vegan,vegetarians still eat sea food,and animal products,when vegans eat just vegetables nothing else,also this could come cuz she didnt eat enough different
 vegetables.
Well im an vegetarian for quite some time,and im very active in sports,kayaking,skiing,running,... and i have exercises every day,and i still fill fine and full of energy.

Bands: well i listen to all bands that i discovered on progrockarchive. Also i listen to some hardcore punk,and folk metal. 

well dubstep this is dubstep

biggest crime in the history of earth,when i listen to this my head wants to run away and make an suicide 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:29
^If  a vegetarian eats seafood then they are not vegetarian.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:29

Originally posted by deliriumofthethrush deliriumofthethrush wrote:

Welcome!  It's good to hear you stick by your preferences and interests even when you feel isolated.  I remember that feeling through school, but by high school I branched out and my friends existed more in my local music scene than school.  And even if that's not an option for you, sounds like your Dad has your back ;)

I also don't eat meat - I've been vegan for 4 years, and was vegetarian for 4 or 5 before that.  Don't let anyone tell you it's unhealthy or dangerous, because it's not.  People can make bad nutritional decisions, but there is nothing that exists in an omnivores diet that cannot be found in a vegetarian or vegan diet.

wow dude 4 years of vegan amazing.
im planning of staying vegetarian for 15 years then im going to travel into Bosnia will stuff myself with meat and then go vegetarian for life.(still dont know if im going to do this)

But i have problem finding GF that are vegetarian.
 Cry Foreva alone! Cry
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:31
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

ah no nononono Tongue

vegetarians:
we eat all food except meat
so we eat animal products
and sea food

Vegans:
vegans eat only vegetables,nothing else,nor animal product nothing just vegetables. 

do you get it? Big smile

Edited by Ancient Tree - June 19 2012 at 15:32
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:33

ah no nononono Tongue

vegetarians:
and sea food

Vegans:
vegans eat only vegetarians,nothing else,nor animal product nothing just vegetables. 

do you get it? Big smile

You are wrong. Do you get it?

I know some eat fish and claim to be vegetrian but they and I know they are wrong.

Edited by Snow Dog - June 19 2012 at 15:35
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:41

ah no nononono Tongue

vegetarians:
and sea food

Vegans:
vegans eat only vegetarians,nothing else,nor animal product nothing just vegetables. 

do you get it? Big smile

I know some eat fish and claim to be vegetrian but they and I know they are wrong.
ok ok you win,im not going to argue,all hail snow dog Clap
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:44

ah no nononono Tongue

vegetarians:
and sea food

Vegans:

do you get it? Big smile

ok ok you win,im not going to argue,all hail snow dog Clap

That's kinda patronising. 
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:46
BOW TO SNOW GOD KING OF THE WORLD
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:55
^don't you start!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 15:57
A vegetarian who eats fish is a pescatarian.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 16:10
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

well khm khm
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/vegetarian-diets/12-frequently-asked-questions-about-vegetarian-diet

• Pesco-vegetarians eat fish, dairy products, and eggs along with plant foods. (We believe this is the healthiest diet for most people).

oh well you are right then Tongue but its much easier to say that you are an vegetarian than pescatarian Confused who even remebers or knows the meaning of this word

p.s: thanks for some extra info Cool
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 16:16

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

well khm khm
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/vegetarian-diets/12-frequently-asked-questions-about-vegetarian-diet

• Pesco-vegetarians eat fish, dairy products, and eggs along with plant foods. (We believe this is the healthiest diet for most people).

oh well you are right then Tongue but its much easier to say that you are an vegetarian than pescatarian Confused who even remebers or knows the meaning of this word

p.s: thanks for some extra info Cool

Much easier, but less accurate.  Wink
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 21:07
I'm glad to see these replies, I was a little concerned by the lack of understanding.  There are many sub-categories of diets leading up to vegetarian that I would never call vegetarian.

But to correct the comments about vegan: Veganism is not a diet consisting only of vegetables.  Veganism is the ideal pursuit of avoiding all animal products not just in diet but in lifestyle.  I eat grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, mushrooms and protein alternatives (tofu, tempeh, seitan).

I don't mean to stray too far from your introduction post, but it's nice to have the right info out there. ;)
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 21:11

I'm glad to see these replies, I was a little concerned by the lack of understanding.  There are many sub-categories of diets leading up to vegetarian that I would never call vegetarian.

But to correct the comments about vegan: Veganism is not a diet consisting only of vegetables.  Veganism is the ideal pursuit of avoiding all animal products not just in diet but in lifestyle.  I eat grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, mushrooms and protein alternatives (tofu, tempeh, seitan).

I don't mean to stray too far from your introduction post, but it's nice to have the right info out there. ;)

Animals poop on the ground, which leads to some plants.  I doubt there are any true vegans.  Wink
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 21:42
You missed "the ideal pursuit of avoiding all animal products."  Veganism is not a perfected, absolute abstinence, it's the honest and committed endeavor of avoiding everything as humanly possible.  Books are often bound with glues that are still animal derived.  Stamps as well.

Your "animal poop" comment is pretty silly, don't you think?  The circle of life and the natural process of organic renewal still exists and there is no denying that.  Let's not get carried with playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of it.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 21:47

You missed "the ideal pursuit of avoiding all animal products."  Veganism is not a perfected, absolute abstinence, it's the honest and committed endeavor of avoiding everything as humanly possible.  Books are often bound with glues that are still animal derived.  Stamps as well.

Your "animal poop" comment is pretty silly, don't you think?  The circle of life and the natural process of organic renewal still exists and there is no denying that.  Let's not get carried with playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of it.

No, I think the attempt to avoid anything that is animal-derived is silly.  You are, ultimately, animal derived.  So am I.

Do you pass on walking because of all the insects you may crush?  Or driving?  Lots of bugs killed there.  Birds sometimes too.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 22:01
^ Guys, you might want to take that discussion to the "Who are you (in terms of food)" thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>