FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGeoff Tate leaves Queensryche

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geoff Tate leaves Queensryche
    Posted: June 21 2012 at 22:47
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/exclusive-queensryche-parts-ways-with-geoff-1007371752.story?utm_source=most_recent

Headline stolen from:  http://www.metalinsider.net/metal-musical-chairs/geoff-tate-does-right-thing-leaves-queensryche 

Basically Geoff Tate had a meltdown at a recent show, berated the audience and got into an altercation with one of the band members. The band minus Geoff Tate  decided to continue without him under the name "Rising West". Geoff Tate left the band/got fired, which means they're able to use the name once again.

Could this be a promising new direction for the band? Perhaps without Geoff Tate holding them back they'll be able to move past the creative slump they've been in for the past 24 years.

P.S. wasn't there supposed to be some kind of cross-promo with progarchives where they answered fan-questions? And people whose questions were answered were supposed to win something? They got mostly troll questions, and the album turned out to be crap, but you think they'd follow through on something like that.

Edited by Harry Hood - June 21 2012 at 22:55
davemuttillo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 23:01
Without Tate, Queensryche is not, and never can be Queensryche. Best to for all involved to just move on. Being frank without Tate who really gives a rancid rat's rectal cavity about the band.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 23:04
The chances of this bringing the band back to relevance are close to zero. 
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 23:05
^People didn't care about the band with Tate. I certainly wouldn't want to be in a band with a guy who was trying to shank the drummer. They're better off without him.

I think most people jumped ship after the first time Chris DeGarmo quit.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 07:04
Personally I enjoyed Mindcrime II, I do remember that "Tribe" album being dreadful though, but the reason Queensryche is worth a plugged nickel is Tate, It would be like Guns N Roses without Axl Rose.

Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 08:12
After Chris left, Queensryche was no more! He was the band, imo.

silversaw View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 12:20
I'm seeing this as a positive thing!  If it was Tate who was leading them into the ugly territory they've been in for the past 20+ years, then good riddance!  There comes a time in every band where the relationship between people becomes toxic, or the magic fades and that happened in the Ryche a long time ago.  I would be much more upset if this band was still churning out "Mindcrime" every 2 or 3 years...OR if Geoff Tate could still actually sing!!  His voice has been on a downward spiral since the late 90's...

So goodbye Geoff!!  This new guy sounds like old Geoff Tate and they're playing songs only from the first 5 albums!!!!  That doesn't excite anyone else?  This could be exactly what this band needs!
"In the Court Of Kings I look around, my blood runs cold, I close my eyes..."
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 15:44
Something's wrong when a band makes sh*t for 10 18 years while the singer builds a winery.

I have slightly raised hopes for QR as well as Kamelot. Their past 2 albums have kinda stunk a bit, though I doubt that was Roy's fault.

Edited by stonebeard - June 22 2012 at 15:45
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:07
Best thing for Queensryche in years. Tate was a self-absorbed egotist who ruined the band that could not have produced such bad, bad, bad material after DeGarmo left
Codera the Great View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 23:36
I will not miss him, especially after many years of absolutely disappointing releases. He may have been a part of legendary albums such as Rage for Order and Operation Mindcrime, but that was a long time ago, and he has overstayed his welcome with these awful releases (along with his self-absorbed attitude for that matter). This move may hopefully re-inspire the band to write actual music (just maybe), instead of just being dragged along in Geoff Tate's wet dream of a solo career. I heard the Crimson Glory singer is really talented!
 Post Reply Post Reply